FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Balthier's Earth/Air Distance Damage Focus Guide. (Janurary 18th 2017)

By Alzake - MEMBER - February 05, 2015, 22:26:56
Reactions 71
Score : 3441
Alzake|2016-02-10 15:04:57
Juubkatt|2016-02-10 11:38:04
Alzake|2015-02-05 22:26:56

2. Fights where you have to wait for things to happen. (ie. Steel Beak) Stack your Rogue Master to 14 (or as close as you can without going 15 or over) by hitting the air with Boomerang Dagger too allow for your next hit when needed to stack the Rogue Master special. As well as stacking Rogue Master you can also stack your Perforator to level 20 by using 2 Piercing Shots on the air which will last until your next earth spell dealing actual damage.

Hi, Piercing shot don't stalk on your self buff ..it stays for ever at 15 no matter how many times you use it.
How ever, Blam goes to Lv.10 then Lv.20 ...
It stacks. from 15 to 20. You need to make sure your not hitting anything.
Yeah ..I meant, Lv.15 then Lv.20*
And dang ..it do stack at 20.. even with piercing ...
Tho ..if you can get 20 with our without hitting something 2 times with blam ..wouldn't that be a better habbit to get in to using ..save ap for a bomb or something ..specially if you keep bomberfan in your decks where you wont be making a firewall? so purely for ap return?
0 0
Score : 1757
Juubkatt|2016-02-10 15:31:55
Alzake|2016-02-10 15:04:57
Juubkatt|2016-02-10 11:38:04
Alzake|2015-02-05 22:26:56

2. Fights where you have to wait for things to happen. (ie. Steel Beak) Stack your Rogue Master to 14 (or as close as you can without going 15 or over) by hitting the air with Boomerang Dagger too allow for your next hit when needed to stack the Rogue Master special. As well as stacking Rogue Master you can also stack your Perforator to level 20 by using 2 Piercing Shots on the air which will last until your next earth spell dealing actual damage.

Hi, Piercing shot don't stalk on your self buff ..it stays for ever at 15 no matter how many times you use it.
How ever, Blam goes to Lv.10 then Lv.20 ...
It stacks. from 15 to 20. You need to make sure your not hitting anything.
Yeah ..I meant, Lv.15 then Lv.20*
And dang ..it do stack at 20.. even with piercing ...
Tho ..if you can get 20 with our without hitting something 2 times with blam ..wouldn't that be a better habbit to get in to using ..save ap for a bomb or something ..specially if you keep bomberfan in your decks where you wont be making a firewall? so purely for ap return?
Yes it would be better to use double blams instead of piercing shot. That is 100% correct. Since this is an 11 AP build too it would make for an extra bomb drop for later use. I suppose my strategy was more of an example than a follow to the dot haha but thanks for pointing that out. I will add that to the guide.
0 0
Score : 337
biggrinbiggrinph34r

0 0

lol thanks for stopping by to show off again.

0 0
Score : 350

Uhm, how do you perform good air damage with this build? I can achieve really high earth damage, but I'm having hard time yielding any other element of damage (fire does almost no damage and air too), I'm quite sure the problem is me missing some kind of combo with air, maybe there is a passive that synergyse and I'm not seeing it. Can you give a few suggestions? Useful especially on fights where air is the weak resist.

0 0
Aelorr|2016-02-21 20:14:27
Uhm, how do you perform good air damage with this build? I can achieve really high earth damage, but I'm having hard time yielding any other element of damage (fire does almost no damage and air too), I'm quite sure the problem is me missing some kind of combo with air, maybe there is a passive that synergyse and I'm not seeing it. Can you give a few suggestions? Useful especially on fights where air is the weak resist.
Earth will be your biggest source of damage in this build and Air won't end up doing as much as your earth HOWEVER.. It should still do sufficient damage

The best way to do good single target damage with air is to roguery behind an enemy and get at MAX distance from the target to hit them with a long sword. If you can get collision damage that helps a lot too! Just remember that it can apply your distance damage just like boomerang if your positioned correctly.

Boomerang is good for no LoS utility but it is really mostly used as the main air AoE damage, If you do use your firewall and can make the Boomerang travel through your bomb tiles the damage becomes a lot better.

A lot of rouges go for single target builds and use BBQ Ribs and Slapshot (It is a better air damage source) But My build is sacrificing resistances for more raw damage output and safer distances.

And the Rogue Master passive does give you an increased damage on hit once you reach the threshold of stacks as well as refunding AP.

Remember the Run Away! passive and try to use it. Make your sides available to enemies to stack that extra 30% distance damage per hit (that won't reset next turn if you are hit again) This is a huge source of free damage.

The main reason I don't like to use Single target damage is because almost all of the spells I use are AoE.

Hope that helps and try to keep some balance in the air/earth spells you don't use to gain that mastery damage.

Lastly.... If you aren't a higher level it could just be simply that you need to just wait until you gain more passives/gears/stats.

Regards, Balthier
0 0
Score : 350
Alzake|2016-02-22 16:26:51
Earth will be your biggest source of damage in this build and Air won't end up doing as much as your earth HOWEVER.. It should still do sufficient damage

The best way to do good single target damage with air is to roguery behind an enemy and get at MAX distance from the target to hit them with a long sword. If you can get collision damage that helps a lot too! Just remember that it can apply your distance damage just like boomerang if your positioned correctly.

Boomerang is good for no LoS utility but it is really mostly used as the main air AoE damage, If you do use your firewall and can make the Boomerang travel through your bomb tiles the damage becomes a lot better.

A lot of rouges go for single target builds and use BBQ Ribs and Slapshot (It is a better air damage source) But My build is sacrificing resistances for more raw damage output and safer distances.

And the Rogue Master passive does give you an increased damage on hit once you reach the threshold of stacks as well as refunding AP.

Remember the Run Away! passive and try to use it. Make your sides available to enemies to stack that extra 30% distance damage per hit (that won't reset next turn if you are hit again) This is a huge source of free damage.

The main reason I don't like to use Single target damage is because almost all of the spells I use are AoE.

Hope that helps and try to keep some balance in the air/earth spells you don't use to gain that mastery damage.

Lastly.... If you aren't a higher level it could just be simply that you need to just wait until you gain more passives/gears/stats.

Regards, Balthier

Thanks a lot, I really needed some insights on the usage, Probably I'm using the sword incorrectly, that's the main thing. Second, I definitely need a passive slot to put one missing passive (this build works with level 100 minimum, but I'm at 97 right now).

I'll let you know if something is still wrong, but I think you solved it wink 
0 0
Aelorr|2016-02-22 19:34:09
Alzake|2016-02-22 16:26:51

Regards, Balthier

Thanks a lot, I really needed some insights on the usage, Probably I'm using the sword incorrectly, that's the main thing. Second, I definitely need a passive slot to put one missing passive (this build works with level 100 minimum, but I'm at 97 right now).

I'll let you know if something is still wrong, but I think you solved it wink
Glad to hear it! Good luck.
0 0
Score : 748

Thanks for the guide, helped me a lot xD

0 0
Score : 197

hello i'm new to rogue. i'ev noticed that %hp to armor was suggested but i don't understand where rogue shields come from. i'm only level 42 right now, but i can't find any spells or passives that give rogues armor, so why would i want to make an armor that i don't have stronger? sorry if this is kind of silly.

0 0

Hp to armor stat ..don't really get any reaction on self made armors

It's more a question about if you max that and after put the point in to Hp ..you will get a total of "hp" (hp + shield) that is higher than if you just put points in to Hp.
This is very practical in pve ..where monsters then will hit your shield and not your hp for most of the fight ..and you will save bread ..Since shield you never need to gain back in some way before you start a new fight.

This goes for all classes.
The preference to have shield or not is on the other hand different depending on class.

1 0

as Juubkatt said HP to Armor is for a bigger "total HP pool" that helps save on bread for PVE. I would never recommend it however for PVP.

1 0

ah so i misunderstood what %hp to armor was. my question now is: if i'm opting for a pvp setup, should dump all into hp after res? i had my eye on barrier and am curious as to what it does exactly and as to whether or not it is optimal for pvp? lastly, how does rogue fair against sadida? i hear sadida are undisputed champions of 1 versus 1 combat.

0 0

Honestly I don't know a whole lot about PVP since I feel it isn't balanced for a 1v1 scenario I tend to stay away from it. I couldn't really help you with PVP.

0 0
smitpickle|2016-03-29 23:30:08
ah so i misunderstood what %hp to armor was. my question now is: if i'm opting for a pvp setup, should dump all into hp after res? i had my eye on barrier and am curious as to what it does exactly and as to whether or not it is optimal for pvp? lastly, how does rogue fair against sadida? i hear sadida are undisputed champions of 1 versus 1 combat.
For pvp it's better to go all hp after res, yes.
Barrier don't do much for a rogue since it's basically works like this.
If you stat 3 barrier (at lvl 200.. it's -100dmg.. hm that's actually alot vs doll dmg...... I might need to re think my opinion on this, but anyways...) and something against your resists would do 350dmg per hit and you get hit 5 times ..you will get hit for 250, 250, 250, 350, 350.
So the points you put in equals how many times you get the reduction per turn. With higher resists it's worth more ..since then maybe the hits would be for 210dmg per hit ..and you get hit 5 times ..and it becomes 110, 110, 110, 210, 210.

On the subject of fighting sadidas... urg ..as a rogue you have blam (deals extra dmg to summons) which is aoe skill.. Sadidas dolls have hidden dmg reduction of 50% if you hit them with aoe skills ...which basically makes the "vs summons skill" worthless for us. Then Sadidas run passive that adds res per doll in the field + passive that gives nettles (nettles give +ap +mp +fd) to dolls if you hurt the sadida. To get fullest use of this sadidas go for tanky build..since res transfer to dolls. At end game I would say it's near impossible or completely impossible to take down the UP fast enough before they can summon a 2nd UP (normally what is said is that when Sadida summons the 3rd UP you know you're over.. tho with rogue not really having high res and ST skills are either CC or ranged with need of straight los.. I say you're kinda toast if you can't kill the UP on your forth turn and that be clutching the rest of the fight.. you probably have a chance if you can kill it on your thrid turn. Then it be 2more turns before sadi can make a new one -sigh- and you actually have time to hit the sadida itself for a while (your forth and third turn is cause of the fact that you go first) ..UP have 4 turn cd.
On top of that, if you only focus UP the Sadida will most likely start hitting itself with the dolls to make up for the nettles You don't help to give the dolls. (cuzthatsnotbrokenatall)

Sorry for butting in so much in your thread Balth... x_x
0 0

No problem. It's good someone can voice an opinion on PVP because I can't. You answer the questions I don't. Besides its nice to see other Rogue's opinions because I don't claim to be the "Rogue God". I get to learn new things too. smile

0 0

that was awesome thanks guys. i think i might go for a pvm rogue and a pvp sadida. ( LOL ). i always thought the cra would be my pvm character, but i'm really liking the rogue right now. i just love my sadida also and since it's probably more potent in one versus one and less so in dungeons, i'll just gear and build towards pvp.

0 0
smitpickle|2016-03-31 00:57:18
that was awesome thanks guys. i think i might go for a pvm rogue and a pvp sadida. ( LOL ). i always thought the cra would be my pvm character, but i'm really liking the rogue right now. i just love my sadida also and since it's probably more potent in one versus one and less so in dungeons, i'll just gear and build towards pvp.
Oh noes !
I created a monster.

Fair warning about Sadida.. At some point they might listen to the community and rewamp Sadida passives completely ... You should play what's fun ..and adapt it and your playstyle to what you want to do ..instead of making specific classes to rek others ...lol

Tho you can always have the Sadi for healer/debuffer later when/if that happens
1 0

no need to worry. i genuinely enjoy playing the sadida. its not built on hatred.

0 0
Score : 71

Updated with new Moon gears

0 0
Respond to this thread