FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

I don't mean to troll but...

By TrendyKid - MEMBER - June 09, 2011, 21:17:15

Have you ever stepped back and taken a look at all of the forum posts in the general channel? Ever since they started releasing more characters and content it has been about 80% negative...which is extremely ironic due to the fact that most of the beta testers were pushing for more stuff.

The only reason I noticed this is because I've been playing in the Eden Eternal CB and their forums compared to these are a total 180. Do you guys think this game is really going in the direction it should? I haven't seen very many games who put bad tastes in people's mouths in CB/OB do very well after being released. Just saying...

0 0
Reactions 18
Score : 1316
TrendyKid|2011-06-09 21:17:15
Have you ever stepped back and taken a look at all of the forum posts in the general channel? Ever since they started releasing more characters and content it has been about 80% negative...which is extremely ironic due to the fact that most of the beta testers were pushing for more stuff.

The only reason I noticed this is because I've been playing in the Eden Eternal CB and their forums compared to these are a total 180. Do you guys think this game is really going in the direction it should? I haven't seen very many games who put bad tastes in people's mouths in CB/OB do very well after being released. Just saying...

Not sure how you can say a few more classes and grind-esk dungeons are "more content".
all the patches uptill now have been mainly been for the RP gamers *(gov/eco).

In the end, the people on the forums are upset do to the lack of REAL content ~
we've been getting the same run around for the past 3 years *(CB's & OB's)

As is in this version, we still have no mobs to level on past 60, the secrets are mostly useless baring
the Crocobur or Hon items.. and the game lacks any real challenge.

all we can do is grind on crafting, harvesting or levels... nothing more.

for the record, people continue to play in the wakfu beta's for the same reason they would play the
FFXIV beta.. they hope it'll get better and that the dev's are holding all the really cool stuff back for
the official launch.
0 0
Score : 2211

Aye, I hope this does get better after launch or right before launch.

I don't mind the game style or what's going on, I'm just worried it'll all be about leveling up as fast as possible and grinding for haven gems >.>

And once you do hit a high level you'll start wondering what to do sad

Yeah, I was in the FFXIV CB/OB/Launch. I hope Wakfu will be a bit better in the whole update/launch phases. Though, reading the updates for FFXIV makes me want to get back into it.

0 0
Score : 65

I think a lot of complaining is because so much is broken or incomplete. It's our jobs as testers to "complain" or send bug reports. It's also worthwhile for the developers to know if people actually enjoy the game.

0 0
Score : 3554

The concept of the game is awesome, but the execution of it is horrible. Too much redundency and irrelevant things in the world.

0 0
Score : 92

I cannot agree more with what Peanut is saying.

What may seem like complaints, is actually the entire purpose of a beta-tester, if we don't tell the Developers what we don't like and what needs to be changed in the game, then we aren't doing our jobs as testers.

0 0
Score : 4296
Do you guys think this game is really going in the direction it should?

This is exactly my biggest issue with version 3 of Wakfu: It is mostly going in the wrong direction. There have been some big improvements to the game since v2, but the classes are a mess. In general, the v3 classes have fewer ways to support allies, which is a bummer in a cooperative, strategic game. Compared to v2, the main strategy in v3 is to stay out of each other's way. The strange rule where states last only a single turn is a big part of this, and I have yet to hear an argument in its favour.

The economy is a mess and has only gotten worse. Crafting is much more grindy than it used to be in v2. The ecosystem is harder to balance (largely due to self-spawning monsters). The government system is very interesting, but the way it is set up seems painfully naive. Class balance is a bad joke: air Iops have been mostly untouched for months, while bottom-tier classes such as the Eni get nerfed regularly with each patch. In general, each new class that is released feels more experimental than the last, which is frustrating given that this is the third version now; you'd think the bulk of the experimentation would be behind us, and that we'd be more into fine-tuning by now.

Plus, Ankama's development style has always been to even things out by nerfing, rather than buffing. Rarely do they buff spells, and when they do, it's often not enough (the fire Enutrof is looking at you, Tiris). And when the nerfstick comes out, it's usually applied too severely (see Jackpot for details). Often, nerfs are inexplicable, as touched on above. Even when these changes work out to an overall better balance between classes, the impression is often negative. People don't like it when something is taken from them, even when the taking is justified.

I just remember having more fun in v2. In v2, I leveled my main character up to 80, and a second character into the 60s. I focused primarily on the deep profession system, eventually maxing out every profession, earning a title a bonus reward. My haven bag was my home, full of gems, with lots of room for items on sale or in storage, a garden with one of every plant in the game, a decorative area with a library, games room, and war room, and even an extra garden area purely for decoration that I called my "zen garden". I made money on the market, vigilantly adjusting prices to keep competitive as the market fluctuated. I worked on my nation's ecosystem, fought off invaders, reclaimed stolen territory, and trained without fear of "good" or "bad" spell XP.

In v3, I have a level 40 water Eni who frankly sucks. I ground my Ranged Weapons profession up to 40 before I couldn't stand it anymore; I got to about the same point pre-wipe with Jeweler. I spent most of my time in combat struggling to keep up with my Iop and Cra guildmates (who were all very patient with my suckitude; thank you, Origin!), and my spells are abysmally low-level because apparently group XP is crappy spell XP; soloing monsters way above your level is what is encouraged. I can't group up with 80% of my guild because I'm apparently at war with them. I haven't really logged in to actually play in nearly 3 weeks now.

This isn't to say that v2 was without problems. Diseases, by far the worst idea I've ever seen implemented in an Ankama product, are thankfully a thing of the past. Nations are bigger and more beautiful now, while much of v2 was played without any music or sound effects. The Wakfu/Stasis system often felt more like a restriction than a key game feature, which was disappointing for a game called Wakfu.

But we should expect these features to get better. That's how Betas are supposed to work, isn't it? We play the game, we report bugs, we give feedback about what we like and don't like, and we're supposed to get more of the good, and less of the bad. While what we're getting in v3 is a mixed bag, overall, I think we're getting a lot more of the bad, and an ever dwindling amount of the good.

EDIT: Sorry for the novel, but I'm getting close to giving up on Wakfu entirely, and I feel the need to get some of this stuff off my chest one last time.
0 0
Score : 866

Thanks for the novel food, I love to read. =D

In all seriousness, thanks for the feedback guys. I have played in all of the betas myself and I am trying to find a reason to continue playing as well. I was already so sad when they took away the cute chibi art style. I'm mostly attracted to the complexity of the game...it's definitely not meant to be played by 10 year olds. Having said that, I think it does offer something for everyone, it's just not noob friendly, similar to FFXI and FFXIV. I don't post on the forums much, I really just wanted to see how people felt about the game so far. Thanks again for the feedback.

0 0
Score : 4394
ph34r TWF, you hit it right on the nail. i have checked it out on all three (Tivo, Remington, Nox) servers. Yes, i can access all 3 for some reason. It looks much the same, most testers are giving up at the moment.
0 0
Score : 682

You know what they say; Everybody is a critic! XP

0 0
Score : 993

At the end of the day not a lot of people stick around. A patch comes, the server is flooded with people, a week later, everyone is already bored to tears. Devs will take the next 3 or 4 months to fix all the most glaring major issues but still leave all the minor ones, repeat. Even 3 years ago they were giving out sets of 10,000 beta keys on both the french and english side (both were the same server at the time), which would almost instantly disappear. A month later the forums would be dead again and you'd hardly see people lurking. The battles aren't really challenging enough to get any meaningful gameplay from. Spam a bunch of air iops or a bunch of air cras constantly pushing the enemy away. What is tactical about that? Yet the simplest plans are often the most effective, because it's not a particularly easy to balance system. It's pretty much guess and check until you have something that works, like they're trying with the monetary system which is also completely broken. The only thing else left is to grind. Grind for stronger monsters, who drop stronger weapons so you can level high to grind on stronger monsters, repeat.

People keep the game alive through guilds, but essentially they're just OCD'ing on the same things, just like the people who turn the lever in the slot machine all day. They want the drops.

0 0
Score : 454

Every community is different, and every game attracts different players. Sadly, on average you're going to get a forum full of angry whiny people (that's not to justify people getting angry and upset, just the general gist of things.) It happens. There are just as many ways to get a community to behave differently as there are community types.

Sometimes you'll even have two different communities for the same game with completely different attitudes. In general though, the official boards are almost always more vitriolic.

0 0
Score : 1135

I totally agree with takeswithfood V2 beta was seriously fun and definately not as grindy as this version. Dont get me wrong grinding is part of the game but it takes a while to get just to level 30 if your playing with certain nerfed characters. So casual players wont stay interested for long if they know that the only way to max your character out is to play 5 to 6 hours a day for 9 months. To me getting to level 200 should take 3 months playing roughly 256 hours. Thats 3 hours everyday. Not including proffesions and running around yadda yadda. Now some people may cry outrageous thats too easy but this is actually is a good thing for the long hours grinders because now they can have multiple high level characters and not just have one dude the whole game. Besides this game is for PvP in the end so it should focus on getting to that somewhat quick.

I like grinding but I seriously dont what to grind my eyes out just to get to the fun stuff. Think about having tons of maxed out players on the game and having some serious competition and not 2 level 200 whoop 6 odds and ends level players. Just my thoughts.

0 0
Score : 5781
TrendyKid|2011-06-09 21:17:15

You'll find the game itself is more of a joke than the forums.
0 0
Score : 4296

I came back to add that Ankama's strange trend of making things worse even extends to these forums. We used to have personal profiles and private message systems that were very useful for trading items, keeping in touch with friends in different time-zones, and discreetly contacting moderators, but for some reason that was removed when the forums were "upgraded". The reply box that I'm using now frequently eats posts if you take too long to write them, or sometimes just for the hell of it. For some reason there isn't a right-click menu. Several players won custom avatars in contests that Kaoly ran (we miss you, Kaoly!), but those were also erased during the "upgrade" (though, suspiciously, the French players got to keep theirs).

And for the life of me, I can't remember if any positive changes were made.

That's the pattern that I've noted with Ankama in the ~5 years I've been playing their games: sometimes they'll change something for the worse, and though the reaction will be almost universally negative, they always seem stubbornly satisfied with their work. It's baffling.

0 0
Score : 198

Just going to chime in

I used to have a Cra named Iurn Aro (yes, puns, puns everywhere, that's why my current character is a Xelor named Gran Fadurcluk) who I leveled to 45ish. While not the highest level, still a respectable one that I figure allows me an opinion on the system

The Solo VS Group XP system was such a pain that I basically disappeared from the game.
The balance between classes seemed a joke
Anything meant to be supportive seemed to be beaten with a crowbar and get tacked on with damage instead (I'm looking at your Eniripsa), and the diversity of Spells was severely disappointing, especially vis-a-vis status effects and the likeliness that they would trigger.
Then I started reading/translating some things from the French developers, and the direction they seemed to want to take the game down was just too disappointing for me to continue.

I check back every week or so for updates to see if anything's new, and I lurk the forums regularly, seeking any signs of improvement because the game does interest me. Just because players disappear does not mean they've abandoned the game entirely.

0 0
Score : 4394
Reremaro|2011-06-11 14:34:30
Just going to chime in

I used to have a Cra named Iurn Aro (yes, puns, puns everywhere, that's why my current character is a Xelor named Gran Fadurcluk) who I leveled to 45ish. While not the highest level, still a respectable one that I figure allows me an opinion on the system

The Solo VS Group XP system was such a pain that I basically disappeared from the game.
Anything meant to be supportive seemed to be beaten with a crowbar and get tacked on with damage instead (I'm looking at your Eniripsa), and the diversity of Spells was severely disappointing, especially vis-a-vis status effects and the likeliness that they would trigger.
Then I started reading/translating some things from the French developers, and the direction they seemed to want to take the game down was just too disappointing for me to continue.

I check back every week or so for updates to see if anything's new, and I lurk the forums regularly, seeking any signs of improvement because the game does interest me. Just because players disappear does not mean they've abandoned the game entirely.
would you be so kind as to share with us both the posts and the direction they seem to be going.
0 0
Score : 427
WellSacMe|2011-06-11 22:18:53
Just going to chime in

would you be so kind as to share with us both the posts and the direction they seem to be going.

just watch any of the interviews from E3. the game is pretty much a non-asian rp grind.
meaning a nitch game that has no real appel to anyone not already in a D&D party.
0 0
Score : 198
WellSacMe|2011-06-11 22:18:53
Just going to chime in

Well, my previous posts should have some, otherwise, just find me a French Dev Post and I'll translate it for you right here.
0 0
Respond to this thread