FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Dev Q&A with SE-Derek ~

By June 01, 2011, 22:48:50

While running around last night looking for a royal tofu pauldron on the market, I noticed a glowing xelor...
turns out a member of the dev team was in-game.. so a bunch of us pulled up some chairs and started asking some questions.

SE-Derek Q&A Pt1

SE-Derek Q&A Pt2

Highlight Questions ~

1. Why are you glowing and how are you activating fireworks?
2. Is there sucked blood in the game yet?
3. Any plans to remove the current government from power since they used an exploit to get there?
4. Why do all major character issues always get met by the dev staff with "just create a new character"?
5. Are there any ingame events planned in the near future?
6. E3 is just around the corner, can we expect to see you there?
7. Is it true that wakfu may have community volunteers to help with the game or forums?

Honestly, there is quite a bit more.. including a 1v1 against derek..
tho ~ I'm curious what the community thinks..

If you could have derek or any of the other dev staff jump in game to do a Q&A, what would you ask them?
what questions have been boggeling your mind?

also, remember that major stuff they're not likely to answer..
0 0
Reactions 30
Score : 787

Did you mean to have the title as part 1 for both of them despite the second being part 2?

0 0
Score : 1316
Six02|2011-06-01 22:52:13
Did you mean to have the title as part 1 for both of them despite the second being part 2?

lol... that's not much of a question tongue
but no, when I was typing it, I forgot to change the "title" of the second vid... tis fixed now happy 
0 0

Hahah sorry I'm normally rather condescending so I couldn't help it. As for the question I suppose I don't really have any, I'm not that interested in the end I suppose.

0 0
Score : 993

I kind of want to know if SE is planning to force people to get the box copy of the final version in addition to the monthly fees, like they did with FFXIV

0 0
Score : 3554

@Aegisub

Lol, you're kidding right?

0 0

Not kidding. SE is distributor. If they did that for XIV they can do that for wakfu. With XIV they initially offered $76 collectors edition, which had only 1 free demo month, which was dumb considering how ridiculously broken the beta was. A little later the $50 normal edition was released, again, only with 1 month free and then like $13 every month after. When standard edition came out I emailed SE support and asked them if I could just pay a subscription to try the game for a month without buying the box, since I didn't want to buy a $50 box -- a friend already had the game CDs. Support gave a ridiculing tone saying something along the lines of SE support doesn't offer handouts. Thus, I never played FFXIV, even though I was willing to throw the $13 to try it for a month.

0 0

I was actually worried about that too, where I live the game is really cheap now from some of our stores who realize it's pretty bad. I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy or majority of SE games so I didn't buy it, but my friend did he enjoys it to a degree and apparently they're not charging for online at the moment because of how broken the game is.

0 0
Score : 3554

Why would they put a 200-300mb size game on a disk?

0 0

Money! It's a sole deciding factor in a lot of things.
I'll be honest I'd charge for that too if I was in their position.

0 0

> Why would they put a 200-300mb size game on a disk?
FFXIV used torrents for their updates anyway, so, you could make the same argument. For those who can get it online why should they pay for the box? Because it's another way to milk the franchise, force people to pay for, what they called in the back of the box, a '30 day free trial'.

It may have been too early to plan what payment system was best, but at the same time kinda worried that since wakfu signed with SE before the catastrophic fail that was FFXIV, there could have been certain sale conditions forced in the contract. I'd rather play directly in french servers anyway (derek you can get rid of me if you assign my account to french region =3).

0 0
Score : 454

SE is the publisher, not technically distributor. Slight difference.

Wakfu is most likely going to be distributed worldwide the same way. There may be a CD version SE publishes and sells brick and mortar, but that would be a complete waste of time and money. SE will most likely be taking a cut of the NA profits since they are the ones localizing the game here (everywhere else seems to be straight Ankama.) There may be a monthly fee, and/or a gold shop of some kind.

EDIT: Also, Wakfu isn't a triple-A MMO like XIV. It's considerably smaller and so will most likely be distributed similar to other games like it, which suggests online downloads with subscriptions or a gold/cash shop. Yes, they could print it to a CD and sell it at Walmart, but that's a huge loss of money for a stupid idea that won't work. SE is on thin ice financially and I doubt they'd force you to go out and buy a physical copy of the game (hell, you can DOWNLOAD WoW even though you have to pay for the subscription key.)

0 0
Score : 54
Elementofchaos|2011-06-01 22:48:53
3. Any plans to remove the current government from power since they used an exploit to get there?
Alright, this really makes me curious; how exactly is "being able to organize many people/alts in a short amount of time" considered an exploit? It was definitely sneaky but I don't believe any glitches/cheats were used, unless there's much more to the story than I've heard.

Anyway thanks for the thread, it seems I always miss it when Derek pops up =\

*edit* the main reason I ask is that I have two vote-capable characters on my account and have used both in one election before. So some clarification on if this is indeed considered an exploit would be very welcome.
0 0
Score : 351

It's a free to play game. It'll have the option for subscription/gold shop. It'll be a free download. How is this not obvious? sad

I want Derek's glow, lol.

Edit... I'm definitely interested to see what SE thinks about the governor situation. Hope some changes are incoming. happy 

0 0

>_SE is the publisher, not technically distributor. Slight difference.
SE is a publisher, ankama is a publisher, but SE teamed with ankama to specifically be the distributor for the NA region. The same thing happens with other popular media from other countries. If they're not well established they grant a local monopoly to a specific company who can handle the distribution in X country with as you say, a cut of the profits. In that sense it's up to SE in which way they want to maximize their profits from the deal and in which forms they think are most efficient for distribution. It's up to SE though, so looking at what ankama has done in the past is probably not of any predictive value. On the other hand, looking at what SE has done in the past makes me cringe.

SE is not on thin ice financially. The stocks rise and fall based on consumer expectations, so they "lost" a lot of money when XIV flopped only because the short term profit expectations dropped dramatically, SE is still making ridiculous amounts of profits.

> _It's a free to play game. It'll have the option for subscription/gold shop. It'll be a free download. How is this not obvious? sad

Because that's what ankama planned to do. We have no idea what SE will do. SE open beta went from a free download/terrible game into a $75 box with a terrible game in only a few short months.

0 0
Score : 2422
FauxHax|2011-06-02 01:30:30
Elementofchaos|2011-06-01 22:48:53
Alright, this really makes me curious; how exactly is "being able to organize many people/alts in a short amount of time" considered an exploit? It was definitely sneaky but I don't believe any glitches/cheats were used, unless there's much more to the story than I've heard.

Anyway thanks for the thread, it seems I always miss it when Derek pops up =\

It's not really an "exploit" in the traditional sense, but it does highlight a whole in the system that needs to be filled. Solutions of merit so far as one vote per account instead of per character (I'd say one vote per nation per account for those with alts in different areas) and that there is a candidacy period where people can register to be up for election but no votes could be cast followed by a voting period where no one new can throw in their hat to be elected.
0 0
Score : 351

Okay, fine. I'll give you that there is a chance that a collector's edition might be released. But I can pretty much guarantee that it will be a free download. That's just how free to play games work. happy

While the game will have free-to-play elements, the full extent of the business model has yet to be officially disclosed.

Source. Definitely interested in what their plans are anyway.
0 0
Score : 54
Tsuubo|2011-06-02 01:42:19

It's not really an "exploit" in the traditional sense, but it does highlight a whole in the system that needs to be filled. Solutions of merit so far as one vote per account instead of per character (I'd say one vote per nation per account for those with alts in different areas) and that there is a candidacy period where people can register to be up for election but no votes could be cast followed by a voting period where no one new can throw in their hat to be elected.

That would be a pretty solid way to make things more fair. I'd assume that if the game goes "freemium" they will make voting/cp gain subscriber only to curb ballot stuffing, but that last part is 120% speculation on my part. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't unwittingly committing a no-no ^^.
0 0
Score : 130

I don't know if it was mentioned but SE did a really cool thing with FFXIV, proving they're an awesome company that cares about their fans, and extended the free month to nearly half a year until they had all the major issues fixed and it was actually a product worth spending money on, and on that note I would also like to mention that FFXIV is in a fairly good state right now and still getting more improvements and if i had some money i would be playing it right now. On to the topic of this discussion though! the 1 real question i would like to have answered is if SE is just the producers and face of the game for the NA community or if they have a part in the programming of the game, as in, does SE work on fixing bugs or just send reports to ankama and deal with all our complaining?

0 0
Score : 1291

Gah! I'm so jealous you got to talk to SE Derek, but glad you recorded it.

0 0
Respond to this thread