FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

What's the difference between Dofus and Wakfu?

By Anubis9962 June 06, 2012, 14:40:33

I realise this topic has been discussed a few times already, I've searched for said topics and read people's thoughts but I'm looking for more information. I'm new to the world of Dofus/Wakfu and I'm having a hard time understand the difference between the two games. They seem to share similar visuals and combat mechanics, so can anyone explain to me the primary changes from Dofus to Wakfu?

Is Wakfu supposed to be a overall improvement over Dofus, taking everything good about the original and being considered a sequel? Are there aspects where Dofus is still better than Wakfu? I'd appreciate your knowledge on this matter so I can make a decision about which of the two to play.

Also I apologise if you're sick of topics like this.

0 0
Reactions 15
Score : 932

Here's what I think they are:

Dofus -

More content up to level 200
Less animations
Older
Less Classes
More subscription gift offers
More pets
Only has 2 nations
Can't aggro anyone unless they have PVP turned on(wings visible).
Can tame, buy and ride dragoturkeys that give bonuses to characteristics.
Gain kamas for every fight you do.
Has special spell scrolls that can teach certain spells you cannot obtain by levelling.

Wakfu:

Lower content up to level 105 at the moment.
More animations, real-time enviroment
Newer but been in beta for a longer amount of time
Less Classes
Has 4 nations
Can aggro any subscribed player outside of Astrub even if they're in the same nation as you.
Dragoturkeys cannot be tamed, bought or ridden but instead are at different locations to help you fast travel.
Kamas can only be made from selling items in haven bags or auction houses or mining ores that you will then mint.
No characteristic spells or spell scrolls(that teach new spells), only spell levelling scrolls.

2 0
Score : 789

What about the combat, is Wakfu's combat mechanics deeper than Dofus? I was attracted to Ankama's games because of the gorgeous art style and turn-based tactical grid combat. Both games share these two features, except Wakfu looks better visually to me, but does it also have the better battle system?

0 0
Score : 57
Anubis9962|2012-06-06 15:48:43
What about the combat, is Wakfu's combat mechanics deeper than Dofus? I was attracted to Ankama's games because of the gorgeous art style and turn-based tactical grid combat. Both games share these two features, except Wakfu looks better visually to me, but does it also have the better battle system?
Just play.
1 -5

Thank you for taking the time to help me with your well thought out response, PapaBear. I can only wish that others will follow your example, and perhaps even provide a little more detail if I'm very lucky. I have already installed both games, but I can't get Dofus working, which is another matter entirely and I'm dealing with that on the Dofus forums.

Also, thanks DrPunk. You listed 'less classes' in both games, but I'm going to assume you meant that Wakfu has more classes since that is something I've gathered on my own. Condescending sarcasm aside, I do appreciate the time you've taken to list those differences for me—it has helped.

4 0
Score : 87
Anubis9962|2012-06-06 18:08:54
Thank you for taking the time to help me with your well thought out response, PapaBear. I can only wish that others will follow your example, and perhaps even provide a little more detail if I'm very lucky. I have already installed both games, but I can't get Dofus working, which is another matter entirely and I'm dealing with that on the Dofus forums.

Also, thanks DrPunk. You listed 'less classes' in both games, but I'm going to assume you meant that Wakfu has more classes since that is something I've gathered on my own. Condescending sarcasm aside, I do appreciate the time you've taken to list those differences for me—it has helped.
Actually my good sir, he meant Wakfu has less classes. They are about equal but Wakfu is missing a class known as the Masqueraiders that is currently in Dofus and Dofus seems to be getting a new class know as the Foggernaughts long before Wakfu will.
0 0
Score : 880

And in Dofus U have challenges in fight like 'use all ap', 'use only weapon' etc.

In Wakfu U can collect seeds and plants from whole world, and U can plant it by yourself where U want. There's not place when U can find wheat, ash or the others like in Dofus.

0 0
Score : 2116
Anubis9962|2012-06-06 18:08:54

Right now Wakfu has less classes than Dofus
Dofus has the Masqueraiders and are getting Froggernauts soon + Dofus has dozens of Incarnations.

about the combat system:

Wakfu is alot more luck based than Dofus.

You have alot of passives and skills that rely on % chances to work.
While in Dofus they are trying to remove every luck aspect of battles as much as they can.

Initiative is alot more important in Wakfu
In Wakfu the guy with the highest ini goes first and the one with the second highest after him, regardless if they are on the same team or not.
While in Dofus it will always be Team - Enemy - Team - Enemy - Team - Enemy (or the other way around depending on the average Team Initiative). Only exceptions would be summons and if the other team has more or less characters than yours. Summons always go after their Summoner.

There are no cooldowns on spells in Wakfu
Because most effects either last an eternity or 1 turn, there is no cooldown on spells in Wakfu. That means you can use every spell every turn (few exceptions like Symbiosa, Drhellzerker, Transcendence or if you run out of Wakfu)

Passive Spells

While Dofus has no Passive Spells at all, every class in Wakfu has 5 and they usually have alot of impact on a fight.
1 0
Score : 3787

Read the website details about how the game works and runs mate, all the information is there about wakfu for you to understand.

0 -1
Score : 723

The biggest difference is that Wakfu is meant to be a much more sandbox-y game. Players in Wakfu also much more control over the environment itself.

For example, in Dofus, trees, grains, flowers, and even monsters spawn automatically at regular intervals, always in the same places. In Wakfu, those resources and most creatures only spawn if a player specifically plants one, and it is possible (albeit difficult) to chop down trees until there are no trees left in the game, or hunt monsters to extinction, and so on. Even kamas don't drop from monsters, but have to be created from ores. (Fortunately, ores are one of the things in Wakfu that do respawn on their own)

On top of that, you have the various player-run governments, where the Governor (who is just a regular player, like you or me, who is elected to that position by other players just like you or me) can change things like the weather, re-introduce extinct species, change the laws (to make certain normal game actions cost you Citizenship points), and so on.

Wakfu makes it a lot easier to completely ignore the whole Leveling-Up side to the game, and instead concentrating solely on professions (since you can put as many professions as you want on a single character in Wakfu) and/or gaining political power (which requires that you be charismatic, not good at killing things). That said, most players aren't playing the game from those angles, just from the usual "Go. Hunt. Kil Tofuz" side of things.

The classes seem better designed in Wakfu (with Dofus classes - especially the original ten - having a fairly haphazard collection of elements to their spells). Dofus currently has more classes, but Wakfu's Passive skills make a real difference in how the class plays, and even different elemental branches of the same class play differently, making it "feel" like there's more classes than there are.

Wakfu is expected to catch up to Dofus in terms of number of classes. Masqueraiders were supposed to be introduced into Wakfu before it went live, but they didn't have time for it, and now they're being distracted by these Foggernauts. Once they both get their act together, it's likely that both games will continue to get new classes at the same rate. (Which hopefully won't be too often)

On the other side of the coin, there are far fewer quests and dungeons than Dofus. (The original design was to have literally no NPC-given quests - or even NPCs! - at all, but they drifted from that as the betas went on, and now there are a handful of quests that you can do) Dofus has a lot more content in general, but that's to be expected given that Dofus is over six years old while the current incarnation of Wakfu was only been around for a little over a year (counting the 0.3 beta). Dofus has just had a lot more time to add things.

1 0

Wow Chrolo, that's really helpful, I appreciate it. I can get a little competitive on games so Dofus and its attempt to remove luck out of the equation is definitely appealing to me. I want to lose because my opponent's strategy was superior, not because of a series of unfortunate invisible dice rolls.

I thought I was set on Wakfu but this changes things. Wakfu's animation and visual polish is really nice, plus I like the scrolling feature instead of each map being a tile. But Dofus sounds like it's more competitive, damn!

0 0
Score : 2116

Dofus is not completely luck free though

There is still the 1/2 crit rate, minimum and maximum rolls on spells, Ecaflip's Roulette Spell (which was way more random before the anti-luck remake) and Enutrof's Pandora's Box Spell which nobody uses anyway xD

0 0
Score : 1220

Well, since you asked about the differences and already got answers about the fighting style and content, I will talk about something else (that probably interests only a few people, including myself), the lore.

Wakfu is set to be centuries after Dofus, which is something I think Ankama should explore to it's maximum, if Wakfu ever turns out to be too similar to Dofus, they still have a different Lore and that alone is a good excuse for another game (not destroying Dofus universe to make people play the future, but make a game set in the future).

I didn't play Dofus, but I've read a bit about the creation of the World of Twelve from the wikis. On Wakfu I was positively surprised when I discovered I could buy books from the Archivist that would tell me more about the lore, the books were about the 'factions' in Wakfu and how they work, though you won't see them around, which is sad and I wish Ankama is thinking of a way to make us be part of these factions ourselves.

You can also read about how the world went from "Dofus" to "Wakfu" on the tablets in Incarnam, watching the Ogrest special episode and the Wakfu animation itself, with these informations you can also understand a bit about the Zinit quest (though it does raises a lot of questions that will hopefully be answered once they give us more content).

Overall, I look forward to updates that will make the Lore richer and link it to the Animated series (we are already having these with Sadida's Kingdom and Forfut), and that's one of the biggest differences from Dofus, you're living in their future, after the world that's presented to the Dofus players is gone.

3 0

Thank you all for the various comparisons, they've been very helpful.

I've started with Wakfu as my Dofus installation had a little bit of trouble at first. I'm paying extra attention to Wakfu's combat mechanics to see how much the luck aspect bugs me, if it is indeed a big deal to me, I'll migrate over to Dofus.

I'm not entirely sure how much I should care about Dofus having more high level content. I've yet to consider myself a hardcore MMORPG player and rarely reach “end game” on these MMOs so Wakfu's content may even be plenty for me.

I'll be giving both games a spin whilst keeping the information you guys have provided in mind. Again, I appreciate the time it may have taken some of you to put your thoughts down on this matter, I think I have enough information to go on now.

0 0
Score : 17

I said just play and u will see
biggrin 

0 -6
Score : 1035

Hey!

Don't necro please this topic is from june 2012...

O Respeitador

0 -3
Respond to this thread