FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

IP Lock Please!

By darknecrosss - MEMBER - March 25, 2012, 22:25:41
Reactions 27
Score : 6184

I guess the easiest solution is restrict multi clienting as much as possible, leave those who enjoy their unsocial life alone. The restriction is there to prevent multi clienting from going from cheating another option to exploiting.

Several ideas:

Accounts that are being controlled by the same IP (PC) get:

• Loot drop reduced by 20%.
  • Experience reduced by 20%.
  • Impossible to join PVP fights with more than one account.
  • Impossible to vote more than once.
  • Profession Speed bonus reduced by 50% (slower time to collect).

It may seem to be quite harsh, but remember that they will still have a huge advantage over other players. It will only reduce the ultra effectiveness of multi clienting and make players think twice before doing it.

Getting slightly off topic, it's really odd how our social evolution is being negatively affected by online life. At first people started insanely playing online games, and as a consequence, it affected their social lives. However, on the other hand, they are still having social contact with other players, even though it's all virtual. The thing is: now people are even being unsocial in online games! They are able to play by themselves without even caring about other players... we're doomed.
0 0
Score : 139
Stealth-Ninja-Cat|2012-03-27 01:21:53
Sixar|2012-03-27 01:02:53
darknecrosss|2012-03-26 20:19:02
Shaleigh1|2012-03-26 09:38:47
Also, IP=PC lol....

1 pc means it has 1 connection, that means 1 ip... u dont have 2 ips in one pc... My point was to make somebody force it to play with more than 1 pc at the same time if he wanted to multiacc...

...You know, it'd probably be much easier to multi-account using multiple computers rather than constantly alt+tabbing. Having separate screens and keyboards for each instance of Wakfu running would make it much easier to remember which window belongs to who.

I'm going to have to set up my laptop and give that a go, now. Thanks for the idea!
u do realise some ppl play with 2 or 3 screens i play with 3 screens and use 2 of them for wakfu my 3rd screen i use for firefox,music and etc. and afaik u can play wakfu on 1screen even just make it split screen like multiplayer games on a ps3 just make them take each half of ur screen and tadaaa no need to alt tab... if ur pc cant handle that i suggest replacing that wooden age pc and get a new 1
I prefer to play Wakfu fullscreen, and unfortunately do not have room for a second monitor in my workspace. There are too many art supplies on my desk! :O

I was trying to point out that using two or more computers are actually easier to work with than one (as having two separate inputs would make it much easier for me to tell the different sessions apart), and making a point that was perhaps a little too subtle: those of us who can afford to sub more than one account likely have access to multiple computers as well, and therefore this "IP lock" idea won't hinder us at all.

@Niddhoggy
And, amazingly, some people don't like playing games with people they don't know. Some people would rather play a game alone, or with a group of one or two close friends.

Solo players tend to respect your right to be social in-game, and it would be nice if social players could give the solo players the same courtesy. Any game that forces players to group together is badly designed, whether you desire social or solo play.
0 0
Score : 559

My only real issue with multiclienting, is when it feels forced.

In Dofus, it felt forced. Very much so, actually - Go get a Gobball Set. I dare you. Most of the parts require 5 or 6 people. Despite being a monster that is very easy to solo, you are forced to pick up a ridiculously large group, for no other reason than drops.

In Wakfu, I still haven't seen anything NOT drop from just me, be that a full Gobball set, full Tofu set, ect. Granted, I'm still not that far, but it still doesn't seem to be all that difficult to go solo. Which I prefer.

I then group up for dungeons, because there are actually people around in this game that cares. In Dofus... Yeah, good luck finding a group. Even the group finder didn't help much.

0 0
Score : 5187
darknecrosss|2012-03-26 20:19:02
Shaleigh1|2012-03-26 09:38:47
Also, IP=PC lol....

1 pc means it has 1 connection, that means 1 ip... u dont have 2 ips in one pc... My point was to make somebody force it to play with more than 1 pc at the same time if he wanted to multiacc...

I was mocking the statement in case that didn't become clear. Ususally all PCs in a household have the same IP which is the main problem with all this IP lock nonsense, or the even more arbitrary suggestions of reducing someones gaming experience who doesn't use a unique IP.

Wann play with your family? No, sir.

Wanna get together with some friends, knock back a few cold ones and play Wakfu? Yeah, but only for 20% less loot.

Seriously, this is just an entirely unnecessary thread.
0 0
Score : 1924

Very much so. Even if you do consider multiboxing bad, and if you do decide to reduce it directly by imposing some sort of penalty, rather than examining the causes, you simply cannot afford a false positive in detecting it. And as Shaleigh1 already mention, a household usually shares an IP, and entire apartment buildings, college campuses, or even city blocks sharing one is not exactly uncommon.
Sure, there are other methods, but they have the same problems.
Better leave the multiboxers be and instead focus on actual problems.

0 0
Score : 56

Apparently most people answering this thread have 0 understanding about network and how it works. If you are under NAT, which I assume a lot of people are, it means even if you have 5 computers plugged into your router, it could share 1 IP-address among all the 5 computers. Not to mention about schools, internet-cafes etc. Would you want to get banned from a game, because someone else just happened to use same internet cafe, and decided to be logged into the game same time?

1 0
Score : 41
Kirahvi|2012-03-27 09:33:54
Apparently most people answering this thread have 0 understanding about network and how it works. If you are under NAT, which I assume a lot of people are, it means even if you have 5 computers plugged into your router, it could share 1 IP-address among all the 5 computers. Not to mention about schools, internet-cafes etc. Would you want to get banned from a game, because someone else just happened to use same internet cafe, and decided to be logged into the game same time?

Absolutely right.
IP blocking anything is generally considered a very heavy-handed way to enforce rules or a certain method of play in gaming. It's very easy for one IP to include a whole family of players, multiple players on a college campus, or in extreme cases an entire campus or block of people under one ISP.
An IP block is a great way to punish a ton of people for the actions of a single individual-- which is in turn a great way to alienate a bunch of your paying players, as well.

I don't see Ankama ever implementing something like this, full stop -- partially for the above reason, and partially because, well, companies tend to like to survive, and having players so into your game that they're willing to subscribe with multiple accounts is a brilliant thing from a developer's point of view!
0 0
Score : 1019

some of you are just beeing stupid here...

if you pay for more then 1 u can use more then one..
if ur gonna have an IP lock you will lock out everyone on that router.. Like at homes.. familys playing only 1 beeing able to play? How idiotic.. or at a student.. they share the same internet linked out to 20-30 people as i have it.. then only i would be able to play or anyone else that logs on before me.. How stupid can you people be?

Learn the fact about how IP is given, and how intern IP works.. Wakfu cant track ur intern IP only the outgoing IP that is usally shared with alot of people..

0 0
Respond to this thread