FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Wakfu spell/passive icon reuse

By cody5#2705 - MEMBER - September 19, 2022, 15:52:21
AnkaTracker

Because I play a lot of different classes, i often get confused what passive I am looking at, because a lot of them share the same icon. Because of this I decided to compile a list of every passiv (and spell) that use the same icon in wakfu.

So I wanted to get a discussion going: When ankama eventually gives them unique icons (hopefully), out of the duplicates, which one should keep the icon?

My vote is for:
Interstellar - because it looks like portals?
Seismic rift - it looks like the ground breaking (or maybe map mastery if iops get a rework and don't need it)
Scope - it is a scope
Pillar - it fits the general sacrier asthetic, tho not really perfect for either (personally think it would fit Portal disciple best)
Persistent glyphs - ironically, transcendance kinda disqualifies itself due to changing the shape of your spells from what is shown (feels like the obvious solution is to just extend the cross)
Limiter removal - neither is a great fit, but medium just doesn't fit (personally i'd give medium centric point's icon)
Final shield - it's perfect
Timeliness - even tho it's a weird passive for xelor, it fits the effect better
Stationary imobility - it doesn't really look like anyhing, but i feel like Art of tamig should have a much cooler icon for how iconic it is as a passive
Pirouette - Pirouette doesn't really give me a "sidestab passive" vibe (but personally I think it would be a perfect icon for fancy footwork)
Cra precision - the OG
Mirrors - definitely
Blood flow - I mean it doesn't fit the passive that much, but it definitey has a more sacrier vibe
Portal disciple - it doesn't fit cautious protector
Magnet? - honestly either works
Thirst - I love fugit, but i have to admit, it fits thirst more
Burning armour - smasher is super cool, but never fit the icon
Encumbering shot - honestly either works, but I think piercing could look cooler
Feline leap - definitely
Master of meriment - i guess?

PS: Personally i'd give portal disciple's icon to spacetime and move spacetime's over to transitory, xelor can keep transitory's, move trapster's icon over to reminiscence and give that one to limiter removal (if medium takes centric point, maybe white dimension can take that one?)

PPS: Shoutout to smasher for looking like a metal album cover, really great icon
4 -2
First Ankama intervention

We lack time to provide new icons for everything. If we focus on creating icons, it would cost us other graphical improvements.
We would very much like to improve the icons, but as things stand, we have other priorities. Unfortunately, that is the current situation.

See message in context
Reactions 9
Score : 137

Talked about it on the beta discord, cause ougi got some reused icons. No answer

0 -1
Score : 3706

The current development team, whether due to lack of time or lack of motivation, does not want to make classes unique even at such a basic level as different icons for passives and spells. I always get very annoyed about this and agree with the author of the topic that need to spend at least a little time here.

1 -1

We lack time to provide new icons for everything. If we focus on creating icons, it would cost us other graphical improvements.
We would very much like to improve the icons, but as things stand, we have other priorities. Unfortunately, that is the current situation.

Score : 5620

Of course, I never expected a patch that would just update them all at once.

The point of this post was to ask the fans who use these passives and spells, when the devs eventually update the icons, which class passive would be most deserving to keep the original icon and which ones should be replaced?

0 -2
Score : 462

I'm more concerned about the lack of integrity in buffs and debuffs. There are like 4 or 5 different icons for stabilization, the same for other conditions. Sometimes an icon that looks like one buff/debuff is actually a different one (and you can't get it without reading).

3 -1
Score : 11510

i think in some of these cases it's completely warranted.

e.g. feline leap and graceful feline. graceful feline is a passive that directly improves feline leap. i'd consider the passive requires the spell to be equipped to be worth using and so the subtle "hey, these have the same icon, equip both of them" thing is nice.

honestly though i've never been bothered by this. maybe it's the world of warcraft player in me, that game reuses far far more assets. maybe it's just that there's such a small amount of asset reuse overall. the only assets being reused that come to mind is like... frigost. i struggle to think of a single thing there that isn't either a reskin or a mod of something i've seen somewhere else. otherwise, everything in the game is basically one-time use for the patch it came out in and is never seen again. this game is very high quality for an mmo. even the giants of the genre reuse monsters all over the place, just giving them a new colour and some more stats. but not wakfu.

(no, not even missiz freezz is unique. she's a reskinned bellaphone.)

0 -1

T1gerator#5946|2022-09-20 22:32:14
i think in some of these cases it's completely warranted.

e.g. feline leap and graceful feline. graceful feline is a passive that directly improves feline leap. i'd consider the passive requires the spell to be equipped to be worth using and so the subtle "hey, these have the same icon, equip both of them" thing is nice.

honestly though i've never been bothered by this. maybe it's the world of warcraft player in me, that game reuses far far more assets. maybe it's just that there's such a small amount of asset reuse overall. the only assets being reused that come to mind is like... frigost. i struggle to think of a single thing there that isn't either a reskin or a mod of something i've seen somewhere else. otherwise, everything in the game is basically one-time use for the patch it came out in and is never seen again. this game is very high quality for an mmo. even the giants of the genre reuse monsters all over the place, just giving them a new colour and some more stats. but not wakfu.

(no, not even missiz freezz is unique. she's a reskinned bellaphone.)

Honestly, i appreciate reskins as they are clever ways to reuse assets in a creative manner, just like the spells i outlined in green. Thank you for the fun fact about Missiz Freezz, I wonder if Vileniya is a reskin of something?

As for the graceful feline, that does make sense somewhat, but he devs have said they are trying to move away from passives that just "improve spells", so that won't be relavant if they get reworked anyway.
0 -2
Score : 1165

I fail to see why this is an issue? Have you not noticed how many abilities on characters are basically just copy-paste abilities?

0 -4

Not really? There used to be a few, but currently, most spells and passives seem quite unique.

0 -2
Respond to this thread