FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Small nations make me sad.

By UnitTheGreat - MEMBER - January 03, 2020, 07:25:02

Back after a while, all the nations are small now. I'm pretty upset.

Not only is Nox empty, but now it's cramped too. I can't go explore the other nations and see the cool areas they have, and I miss Sufokia's Hanging Gardens and the old Tydal Prarie. The dual bridge was always really cool to me, and the giant cliffside overhang near the top of the map was one of the coolest looking places I'd been in Wakfu. Jumpin' Jungle was a really nice and verdant place that captured the tropical jungle aesthetic nicely.

I miss my beautiful nation. :[

25 0
Reactions 31
Score : 1242

Yeah...whoever was in charge of design the new nations really dropped the ball. The Astrub city works well because it's actually a big city and doesn't have meaningless npcs you can't talk to running all over the screen. And just the overall feel of these nations is all so samey, very square in design, with really small playgrounds which give no real lore inclinations. Also, they're all so flat, there's no real natural formations (waterfalls, lakes, rivers, etc); I mean some did kept some of this..but still, the flat and small design doesn't really inspire low level players to come together at all.

Making zones super small isn't how you get people to discover each other. People come together when the game's design promotes it. I mean, they could start by making not bringing hero characters increase exp by 100% and drop rates by 200% or something while also reducing damage done by enemies by -50% or something.

Maybe make that a booster option? Call it the Mono account booster or Legend Booster???????

6 -1
Score : 1759

Under a practical view nations work better than ever, no more useless bridges, no more dead zones so there's a bit of reason in the revamp designs BUT must agree that some beautiful scenery have been lost! A true shame specially considering the backstory of Ankama as an animation studio.

5 0
Score : 333

Sufokia is now like 50% useless bridges, the capital is comprised of sectioned-off little islets connected by bridges. It makes it really difficult to make out a clear path from point A to point B.

7 0
Score : 69

Agreed, totally changing the maps was pointless when there was never a problem with the maps in the first place but rather the poor spread of content within them, they could have fixed the problem with much less effort if they had just tried instead of throwing it all away.

At this point I'm just hoping they'll stop being stubborn and release a retro server like they did for Dofus so they can realise that what the players want was there all along and their attention is in the wrong places.

2 0
Score : 3902

I kinda liked the changes, before that the only important zone of the nations was the same, identical fortress with the Zaap, Market and crafting tables, and all 4 nations were IDENTICAL in it, save for colour scheme and all, but now each nation is unique, and the running NPCs breathe life into it without relying on players. I especialy liked Brakmar and Bonta, their architecture looks really imposing and Brakmar have a really nice geography making use of the volcanic terrain. Now the nations are not 10% "city" and 90% wild area with dungeons, but something more akin to 50/50 and the dungeons brough closer together. Although I miss how some nations had unique shapes like Bonta being shaped like a sword and Sufokia being this half-moon of sand.

0 -2

I agree with this. The nation capitals before the revamp were the laziest thing I've ever seen in an mmorpg. At least the new ones have some uniqueness to them. But that's at the expense of the rest of the design which is just the same copy paste flat areas in all 4 nations.

3 -3
Score : 236

The worst thing is that they are somehow follow a very specific and quite similiar layout for atleast 70-80% of the Area... If they would atleast be more different!

3 0
Score : 1400

I really want the old nations back (or at least the structure), new players are losing interest pretty quickly since they have to stay in Astrub and 1/3 of Amakna for 51 levels, and let me tell you, low level dungeons are a PAIN IN THE ASS, did you know there are only 3 dungeons at lvl 36?, 2 of them are almost impossible due to bad implemented resistance mechanics the cracklers (really high resist for a lvl 36-50 mob) and the moogrr (they put that thing on the floor that weakens your resistance and you cannot do anything with the limited amount of PM at low lvl), the flowers do have another annoying resist mechanic however my recently introduced friends to the game and me didn't find those ones particulary hard

But yeah, they got bored at lvl 35. lvl 41 and lvl 42, all the new ones... without me reaching lvl 25 back in the day going to the imposing gobball dungeon in amakna I would not be playing here today, I wanted to be like the friends who introduced me to the game back in 2014, they where killing Hoodlums (also bring back old Hoodlums) and I wanted to be like them, I wanted to drop one of those shiny emblems and wear it as my trophy, and I did that, I grew up as a player, thanks to those key factors that should be present in any low level areas in an mmorpg

1- BIG Areas to explore
2- Tons of balanced low lvl content
3- Small but rewarding experiences

Because right now, all you can do is spam royal gobball at higher difficulty until you reach lvl 50 (wow lots of fun) otherwise you are pretty much done at any lvl 36 dungeon

7 -1

Ouch! I totally forgot how they made those low level dungeons a pain by messing around with resists. Most good games create fun through use of the environment. Such as putting obstacles you and your enemy can use to their favor or other mechanics. Specially at low level they shouldn't be making these dungeons last 1 hour because they decided to give the boss extreme resists.

It's no wonder people just buy 2 hero account, the frustration of trying to have fun with a few friends who might not have chosen the correct role composition is too real. Your friends probably didn't roll as sacrier, feca, and eni. Poor poor souls, you have no real choice as to the race you choose in this game. You need a feca/sacrier and eni/sadida in your party.

1 0
Score : 151

I miss the really really old maps back in like 2006. Where each nation had a custom ‘asturb’. Only people from that particular nation could be in there, it was a little protected oasis while you learnt the game. The. all the outside cities/outposts were bustling with players of all nations trading goods, organising dungeon teams, pvping. The nations were much more competitive, they were all constantly going to war ownership of the islands. If an ‘outlaw’ from an enemy nation was near by you would be notified and a hunt was on to attack them to send them to jail. A fun bit of cat and mouse. There felt like a more wholistic design to the game back then, there was a reason for most things, and lots of interaction built in to the environment that would be a side quest or tell a story on how wakfu came to be. Over the years it feels like things have just been plonked in with no reason, and then when it gets too bugged and messy the area gets consolidated. There are definitely some good things about the new structure too, but I really liked the really old one.

3 0
Score : 9343

i don't like the fake player NPCs that run around in the nations at all. whenever i do see another player in these areas i feel embarrassed to be seen with them.

i feel like at some point the developers started focussing on trying to make the game epic artifically with epic dungeons and epic gear and ultimate bosses and fake players that they utterly lost the things that were actually making the game fun

as soon as the nations stopped being relevant content, the spark disappeared.

it wasn't just that they added monk island. it was that monk island was added, and then was never conquerable. there was an island that, for the first time, was completely neutral and would stay that way forever. and then forfut. and then whisper. and then the national identity didn't matter because none of the areas you wanted to be in were part of the system, so you stopped caring. and the foreign players stopped caring. and then it just stopped existing.

not to mention the lack of dev time spent on the social features, like government and outlaw. in fact, update after update seemed to cut into and remove these roles from the game and now all you can do is choose how other people lose CP.

the challenger role doesn't do anything because the challenges happen automatically
the weather engineer doesn't do anything because there is nothing that requires a certain weather
the ecologist role doesn't do anything because there's an exp boost if you satisfy the clan member, so everyone just does it now
the treasurer role doesn't do anything because there's nothing to spend government funds on

the entire government is just a symbol over your head and a special hat.

when the game first came out, the government was EVERYTHING.

in 2019 i literally ran for governor because i wanted the achievement "become governor of your nation". i got elected, got my achievement. didn't bother assigning a cabinet, didn't bother logging in... nothing happened. noone cared. i guarantee, noone on nox even noticed that i was the governor of amakna for two whole weeks, let alone noticing that i didn't even show up to do it.

i still remember my governors from 2012. Zant and Cassie. modern wakfu could NEVER. hell, i don't even know who the governor is today without logging on and checking!

we didn't ask for ultimate bosses or endless gear treadmills or whatever this enchantment system is. we asked for social features for our sandbox mmo. we asked for content that allowed us to drive the narrative. because we WERE driving the narrative, and then the devs stepped in and TOLD us what we should be doing, told us how to do it, told us when to do it, and told us what to look forward to, and then told us time and time again that what we wanted wasn't important or what the company wanted for the game.

i don't even remember asking for a level cap raise lol. i was happy with my crappy gear running dungeons with bosses that were so easy that we didn't need heroes or sidekicks, because the endgame was infinite. because it was OURS to CHOOSE.

the dev team is so focussed on delivering boss fights and dungeon mechanics that all people do is log on to clear the new content and then log off again. we never asked for complicated boss fights. we asked for reasons to interact with each other and we were given fewer and fewer until eventually we just stopped playing.

you even took the world bosses - gobbsage and black crow - and removed the other player interaction from them! i remember needing to get a group of 6 amaknans to fight gobbsage because he spawned in the nation-exclusive zones after you'd captured the wild estate territory (which, to get that, is also other-player interaction? wow!). i remember the ENTIRE SERVER crowding that mountaintop, all waiting for black crow to spawn, attacking each other to try and deny other people the pleasure. no, it wasn't a "fair" system, but the unfairness made it exciting and exclusive and made valuable and beloved experiences that i treasure to this day!

modern wakfu is great if you love puzzle bosses and turn based combat. it's true that there's no other MMO like it and it does have lots of good points. but it utterly lost the GREAT points that it could have again if someone could just communicate to the development team that they NEED to put time into the government and they NEED to put time into allowing us to choose the narrative. they also NEED to ban certain people because of their constant cheating, packet editing, duping and harassment not only in-game but also out of game, preferably before the server merge. i hope they eventually realise that the reason nox has no players is because of certain people driving everyone away and that maybe the game won't survive even post-merge because it'll bring them back and they'll have a whole new community to cheat and ruin.

it's not good enough to just say "oh, all the territories are just on a timer now and you just go and move some flowers, have fun smile! btw we removed all open world pvp". wakfu is a sandbox with no sand. everything runs on the dev's clock and there is nothing that we can do about it.

i at least hope wakfu is exactly how the devs wanted it. that someone is happy with what it's become.

3 0
Score : 4881

I don't miss being PKable everywhere I went, glad to see it go.

But yeah, they announced the plans for a government revamp last year and it never arrived. I really hope they are working on it because the current government is less useful then the IRL one.

7 0
Score : 693

I miss the really old astrub of early beta. I remember that it was vast! So vast that walking across town was actually a bit time consuming.
The first time I saw it, I was dropped right in the middle of it and started walking towards one direction for what seemed like an eternity, all the while thinking to myself “does this city never end?”.

The music was epic too! I don’t know why, but even to this day when I think about wakfu, I associate it with this soundtrack. 

https://youtu.be/77civx7ig1c

1 0
Score : 159

nvm me, just come and see =)))))

0 0
Score : 29

That's a big yes. Old nations were better.
Much bigger lands to explore, sometimes a little feeling of loneliness because of their large surface without any other player, etc... but now I just feel like the game is overcrowded everywhere.
However, I've just started on a new server with some friends, but we can't even pass the Gobball dungeon, due to an OP Royal Gobball. Well we made it luckily with a bug, so some changes are needed, I think.

2 0
Score : 1759

cody5|2020-04-08 03:26:23
I don't miss being PKable everywhere I went, glad to see it go.

But yeah, they announced the plans for a government revamp last year and it never arrived. I really hope they are working on it because the current government is less useful then the IRL one.

Savage.
4 0
Score : 1135

I like the new layout. What i don't like is the fact that the all Markets are not linked. I still have to go to lame ass kelba to buy and sell stuff. Can we fix this pls?

1 0

The devs said before that there being multiple markets is intentional (so astrub market is for low lvl players) but the way they are linked is a bit weird
Astrub: Makes sense for low lvls
Nations: Mid lvl market I guess?
Kelba: Well used to be higher lvl then nations, but nations are now higher lvl then Kelba so not sure what the theme is?
Haven world: Convenient for players in guilds, but only links to Kelba and other HW.
Sramabad: Highest lvl market, but for some reason it's linked to the nations market???

0 0
Score : 1116

I wouldn't mind the changes if so much of the current space was just random, empty houses with nothing to do. The natural scenery was creative and beautiful; the big city is samey and empty.

Load it up with stuff from Trool Fair, if you're not going to fix that place anyway! Give us Kakariko Villages!

1 0
Score : 1135

"Cody5 : The devs said before that there being multiple markets is intentional (so astrub market is for low lvl players) but the way they are linked is a bit weird"

This is what iam talking about Cody. Asturb Market i understand but why not have nation markets the only place to buy stuff (besides HW of course)??? At least we will have concentration of people in the right places.

1 0

I assume Kelba has a market because it was lorewise "one of the biggest markets in the world" in the anime (but I think it could use a visual rework, it's so tiny).

As for why Srambad has a market, absoutely no idea, you'd expect one in Enurado, but nope!

PS: Oh, what if they changed Kelba to a havenbag market (a board that shows all sales in havenbags on the island, like before market boards), made the nation boards the general market (and linked it to HW boards) and moved Srambad board to Enurado and make it the high level market (or maybe just put it in all divine dimensions? idk)

0 0
Score : 16

I totally agree with this. Sadly this feeling seems to stick with the english community. Because on french forums the Nations revamp is acclaimed like you wouldn't believe. I miss exploration, immersion and that mysterious feeling the nations gave. Player since 2012. Miss my old Amakna so much... So many lovely music lost too. Remember the frog zone music ?

1 0
Score : 340

They should have kept some of the old designs. It was such a pity, there were so many beautiful places and even though they were so big they felt so alive. I'm talking about all nations. They werent only a big part of land that was dead. They were alive and when you found someone there, you could be 100% sure they would become your friend and talk together. Used to happen to me a lot since I was always planting trees and decorating the old nations. They were beautiful. New one's cities are beautiful, it was amazing that they added them. But it should have been an "add on" to the old nations, since it was kinda weird that there weren't cities at all (unless for the bridges, which were like towns) and old principal markets where ugly as fuck.

1 0
Score : 1455

I liked how vast everything, especially the mines. Do you remember how big those were ? The only place in a video game where I was more or less regularly lost. The fact you couldn't see anything was a pain, but it added so much to the charm. Ir just became horrible when the ores stopped to shine though
Also, I miss the eternal youth source, or however it was called in english. I used to afk there a lot. The giant cliffs in Sufokia were amazing too. There isn't a lot more I miss though, most zones could use more uniqueness.

1 0

Do you mean the Wakfu source? It's in astrub now

0 0
Respond to this thread