FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Moving onward to 2020, and The current State of Phaeris.

By Reg3e - MEMBER - December 26, 2019, 19:31:39
AnkaTracker

Take everything I wrote with a grain of salt, as they are my opinion based on the 6 solid years of experience I've spent playing Wakfu. While I don't remember all the exact details, but I do take note on major events that contributes to the Ups and Downs of Phaeris Server.

For the longest time I can remember, particularly the last 12 months, I have people asking me the same line of questions on multiple occasions, "What happened to Phaeris Server?", "Is Phaeris dead?", "Is it worth coming back to Wakfu?", "Where is everyone?", "Did you quit?"...etc. To answer all those, here's a Brief History of Phaeris Server.

2014 Q1 - The Birth of Phaeris / Wakfu APAC, Open to Everyone without Region / Country Restriction.

2014 Q2 - Phaeris, first Server in Wakfu to adopt Free-to-Play Model, meaning F2P Players are no longer restricted to Astrub City / Zone. Players all over the world flock to Phaeris, including people from NA, FR...etc, and even those who are already playing in Remington Server. Hence our diverse community despite being a APAC server. At one point, our population even rivals Remington, a dedicated International Server.

2015 Q1 - Wakfu APAC closed down and staff laid off or merged with Ankama main office, migration into Wakfu Asia, access is now Region Locked to Asia, meaning anyone outside of Asia wished to joined Phaeris after the migration to Wakfu Asia, can no longer access Phaeris (those who joined before the migration can still access the server). On top of that, due to limited advertisement in Asia Region, and Asian gaming culture in general (mobile phone games culture, Korean, Chinese, Japanese mmorpgs, or simply never heard of / not interested in western mmorpgs), Wakfu APAC then, now Wakfu Asia / Phaeris new players intake slowed down dramatically.

2015 Q2 - The big Bygone duped happened, half hearted to no rollback, market crashed, massive population rage quit.

2016~2018 - The usual "Class Revamp", "Game got too easy, too hard, then too easy again, then back to hard, make up your mind Anakma updates", "Bugfu", "More Duplication Exploit with no Rollback", "Inventory Item Missing", "Haven Chest Wipe"...etc, Slow or No response from Ankama Support. People got mad and left the game. With little to no new players filling in the blanks due to Region Locked, the declining state of Phaeris is slowly becoming very apparent.

2019 Q1 - 1.64 Alpha was announcement, better know as the More RNG Grindfest Update by the community. At this point, old players are well versed with Ankama Update Procedure, where they've probably already made up their mind long before they've posted the Devblog, community feedback are no more than an Illusion of Choice, even if they aren't, they'll probably be used for some minor number tweaks. It's the same as Department Store Marketing Strategy, Markup the Price by 300%, and give a 50% discount, that's still a 150% Markup. Some felt pessimistic, some still remain hopeful, while the rest gave up and left to avoid the Grind altogether.

2019 Q2 - 1.64 dropped, Much more Grindy and Progression is now determined by RNG instead of being Linear. Basically, your boss (RNG) can determine if you get to have your Paycheck by end of the month with a Coin Flip. WOOPS, looks like you won't be getting your Paycheck again this month. At this point is obvious, some of the already few remaining Phaeris players left.

2019 Q3 - Free Enchantment Roll bug exploit happen, market crashed, no rollback or anything done to it, Ankama promised to do something about the affected in-game economy, but then slowly swept it under the Rug, as if nothing have had happen, business as usual, like they've always been doing during any major in-game economy break exploits.

2019 Q4 - Ghost Town.

I may have missed out some of the details, but these are the main events I can remember that may have contributed to the declining state of Phaeris.
That said, I still remain hopeful, at this point, Server Merge (Not just Characters, but Names, Guilds, and any other in-game Personal Possession) is the only thing that can save Phaeris. In the recent Class Revamp Ankama Live Show, Server Merge was heavily hinted. But take it with the grain of salt, knowing it may be just another usual Ankama Trademarked #Soon.

My message to the rest of you Wakfu Phaeris Community who still remain hopeful as I do, just Take is Easy, as games stop being fun when it becomes a chore, so go at your own pace, enjoy the wonderful Lore of Krosmoz Universe, take your time and try spotting all the Easter Eggs left in the game by Devs referencing to past Lore Events and the Official Dofus & Wakfu Animated Series; or whichever playstyle you find the most enjoyable, as long as you're having fun.

PS: I generally prefer not to write stuff like these, as it's very demotivating and gives off a negative vibe. But moving forward to 2020, a brand new decade, I hope Ankama can do better, at least do it for the loyal fans of Wakfu TV Series and Game.

Here's a tour of an almost 6 years old account, 4 technically since Phaeris Server has been dead for over 3 years, and I stop hardcore grinding about 2 years ago, not because I want to, but rather the Server/Game is so dead that there's barely anyone left to do late game content.
Link to the Video Tour: https://youtu.be/pQQfCvraZkY

- Reg

33 -1
First Ankama intervention

Replying to yingjing

Hi yinjing,

Thanks for the feedback, it's on the team's mind. Click here.

[Flatops]

See message in context
Reactions 63
Score : 1178

Throwing trash on top of trash is not the solution.
What Ankama needs is an R&D department (Research and Development) to understand industry standards. When people look for mmos they're not looking to pay $30 for 2 Hero accounts.

12 0
Score : 4054

For the sake of all, Phaeris should not fall. 

0 0
Score : -825

just remeber that: for every bigpatch ankama were given, i lost 1 or 2 friends in my contact list until now, my friendlist is deactive, the ppls i hate before even.  wakfu is MMORPG not a single play game, see you guy at merge sever or another game which dont have more mistake's patch

from foxy, phaeris player with loves angel

4 -4
Score : 1067

We are doomed,  blow the trumpets of the apocalypse, it's time to embrace our destiny.

0 -1
Score : -2340

-REG,
There is an easy solution to merge server ,i call it as "shadow merge".
Even Ankama can easyly merge player accounts even this accounts have got similar hero names.
as example : Reg[Nox]  or Reg[Pharis]. this name format is solution for database.

And about Physical Merge.
Physical merge may look a bit unfair for players who bought new character slots and have got only one account and plays without multi clients. Reg can be a player who has got 1 account in pharis and 1or 2 accounts in Nox. so if you want this physical Merge pharis(any) to NOX(or any) ,Merge will allow you 5-10 free new characters to play their different gameplays from Pharis to NOX and this may allow you dominate the market of NOX more with pharis stuffs and im against totally physical server merge cause of above results and you should ask yourself  why did Ankama sell extra characters if it would be a merge and after merge what will Ankama offer to players who bought new characters into one account or what will you offer to community who has "never" got 5 free heroes of pharis in past to restore their status in NOX after merge?
my suggestion is; physical merge must be allowed only in dungeons.
Before leader player enter the dungeon ,leader player send a invite notification to "their guild" or "Public" by  Team search. Public Team Search will send notify to all active players in other server(s) if they would like to join, Players who accepted the invatition, their picture and names will be displayed in team search boxes for leader player. there can be a chat systm in team search.  Invited group players must go in front of the the dungeon to set their status are ready from their team search screen to leader, Leader enters the dungeon and All other players appear in dungeon.Each drops will be linked to heroes of servers.this looks only fair solution. to me. 

1 -6
Score : 1581

I am curious, what is this ' Free Enchantment Roll bug exploit ' ??

Totally agree about the Dupping and Bug exploits in general, the lack of any official solution to them is very disheartening.

0 0
Score : 894

Captchphrase|2019-12-27 23:58:05

Totally agree about the Dupping and Bug exploits in general, the lack of any official solution to them is very disheartening.

Seems like it's an exploit where you get infinite free reroll without sacrificing new gears until you get the number of Enchantment slots and arrangement you want for the 1.64 Enchantment Update, that's why there was a sudden surge of 4 slots Max gear in the market for a while, because of the exploit, the value dropped, even those who done it the legit way sacrificing over 5 legendary gear to get the same effect felt betrayed.
1 0

That sucks.

0 0
Score : 324

enchantment system is totally failure i think.. friendly new player but bad for competitive player.

0 0
Score : 2015

legendaryxelor|2019-12-28 05:40:21

Captchphrase|2019-12-27 23:58:05

Seems like it's an exploit where you get infinite free reroll without sacrificing new gears until you get the number or slots and arrangement you want for the 1.64 enchantment market, there was a sudden surge of 4 slots Max gear in the market for a while, because of the exploit, the value dropped, even those who done it the legit way sacrificing over 5 legendary gear to get the same effect felt betrayed.

well, the whole RNG system is already unnecessary, discouraging, time wasting, boring and inefficient.

Melonnissise|2019-12-28 20:55:30
Of all the carrots to use to keep people in the game they chose rng.
They could've used something funner like keeping zones "alive" using wakfu containers you get from dungeons. The more Wakfu energy a zone has the more runes that zone's enemies drop. You know, something fun.

just in this comment you had 3 ideas that is infinite better than the one they had, that shows how lazy they were
0 -1
Score : 1178

Of all the carrots to use to keep people in the game they chose rng.
They could've used something funner like keeping zones "alive" using wakfu containers you get from dungeons. The more Wakfu energy a zone has the more runes that zone's enemies drop. You know, something fun.

1 0

RNG based progression was the last straw for a lot of people, not just Phaeris, almost every server suffered it's devastating after math. I think it hit Phaeris particularly the hardest, because of the already low population.

6 0
Score : 631

I just want to be able to play with people again. Not being able to find a person when running around in a game that's supposed to be an MMO is so disheartening. I don't understand how they're able to pay the bills.

5 0

Valvaliccia|2019-12-29 21:28:10
I just want to be able to play with people again. Not being able to find a person when running around in a game that's supposed to be an MMO is so disheartening. I don't understand how they're able to pay the bills.

that makes two of us = /
1 0
Score : 1398

People kept comparing Phaeris population to Nox, unless your Kelba + Nation Market has less than 10 items all the time, that barely qualify to be mid game item, let alone late game, and 99% of your play time, you're the only person in the server no matter where you go. That's how bad Phaeris is right now, and it's been that way for over a year now.

2 0
Score : 4059

You know Reg, we were about equally geared when int merged,. I personally think it was a waste of time to stay on phearis, switching to Remington changed some bit for me.

I would argue it's worth just swapping now at this point. If you still enjoy Wakfu, restarting the game is similarly as fun perhaps even more fun. because I don't think a merge is ever happening,  and phearis has had far too many exploits and scandals to be viable.

1 -3
Score : 7048

Hearttyace|2019-12-31 12:16:53
You know Reg, we were about equally geared when int merged,. I personally think it was a waste of time to stay on phearis, switching to Remington changed some bit for me.

I would argue it's worth just swapping now at this point. If you still enjoy Wakfu, restarting the game is similarly as fun perhaps even more fun. because I don't think a merge is ever happening,  and phearis has had far too many exploits and scandals to be viable.

Main Account Inventory Tour, 31st Dec 2019

Would you start Fresh, if you had what I have after watching my Main Account Tour? Spending as much time as I have, grinding everything myself (This is Phaeris Server we're talking, Marketplace is next to non-existence) going full Iron Man Mode, along with Several more Alts Account, just so I can at the very least do some late game content myself when there's literally no one else available. I have a long history with Ankama games, Dofus from 2007~2014, then Wakfu 2014~2020. Seeing how one of my favourite franchise, and literally the MMORPG series I've played most in my gaming library, declining to this state, is truly heartbreaking.
8 0

ok, first things first, I miss your pvp series, second, I am sorry to say, but after many years of disappointment I learned to never expect what players are asking for to this game, always the contrary...

1 0

Reg3e|2019-12-31 14:06:19

Hearttyace|2019-12-31 12:16:53

Main Account Inventory Tour, 31st Dec 2019

Would you start Fresh, if you had what I have after watching my Main Account Tour? Spending as much time as I have, grinding everything myself (This is Phaeris Server we're talking, Marketplace is next to non-existence) going full Iron Man Mode, along with Several more Alts Account, just so I can at the very least do some late game content myself when there's literally no one else available. I have a long history with Ankama games, Dofus from 2007~2014, then Wakfu 2014~2020. Seeing how one of my favourite franchise, and literally the MMORPG series I've played most in my gaming library, declining to this state, is truly heartbreaking.

let it go

Hearttyace|2019-12-31 15:20:57
That's relative to current content, I roughly left an end game account on Phaeris at the time too. On top of straight up giving up a fully developed Havenworld heaven knows I spent wayy too much time on. 

I'm just saying, if you value the multiplayer aspect which I believe does enhance the game. It's worth swapping regardless of what you're losing. I'd look forward to trying to experiencing the game a second time around from start. I can tell you I enjoyed it. Just think of it as a new content patch The gear was trivial I enjoy the dungeon aspect of the game so it wasn't too much of a bother. It's the Professions that will be the hard part. 

I just don't think Ankama has the ability to server transfer well enough to satisfy  players or to do it period.

the thing is, this game stopped being about enhancing your strategies to overcome an dungeon or another player in a battle, to be about grinding, people nowadays care more about the time they spend in the game than having fun, I feel that people see the game like an unhappy couple that thinks they are too old to divorce even though the whole thing is dead. Anyways I love Wakfu's universe, but if players only care about grinding stuff they won't get : merge, balance, new content, pvp... only grind

legendaryxelor|2020-01-01 08:59:48
Progression is one of the reason why people find MMORPG fun, because you can't hack the numbers like in Single Player games, there's a persistent universe going on. But the moment that Progression is determined by RNG instead of Linear, it stops being fun.

that is my point
1 -5

Progression is one of the reason why people find MMORPG fun, because you can't hack the numbers like in Single Player games, there's a persistent universe going on. But the moment that Progression is determined by RNG instead of Linear, it stops being fun.

3 0
Score : 4561

About the merge, they announced it while knowing it wouldn't be done. I got told that by a well positioned ex-Ankama person. Yep. They are just doing false promises and lying over and over again. So, I'm not waiting for it this year, I'll believe it when imma see it. And if they really do it this year, most of us know it's already too late as the majority wont ever come back, they've been manipulated and waited for too long and lost all interest. Would be good for the remaining players tho, as they would finally play the game normally again, and new players wouldn't be login in on a dead server and leaving the same day thinking it's a huge joke. That said, while Phaeris is the worst server to be on atm, the population did decline a lot on the other servers too, even on the french forum people are complaining now. And so, while the merge would help a lot in a short term perspective, the game does have issues that need to be addressed as the decline in the population is more likely to be happening on a merged server too. Unfortunately, fixing these issues doesn't seem to be on the roadmap.

Otherwise most issues are common to all servers and so aren't really explaining the state of Phaeris alone. But as a NA player, I do hate Ankama for inviting me to the Asian server, then lock me down there alone... there is simply nobody left at my time zone and the game became simply unplayable years ago. And so, because I enjoyed this game so much and because Ankama promised merge...  I paid full heroes and booster on 2 acc for about 1-2 year(s), thinking it would be temporary. Then noticing that Ankama wouldn't deliver and that they basically lied, I was paying to play solo game online which had no reason to be online anymore cause there was nobody. I simply gave up frustrated.

Should add that in fact, the APAC server WASN'T owned by Ankama, it was a license given to an asian company... so they weren't really responsible for promoting the game at the time I guess. But it was Ankama's decision to lock NA people down when they took it back.

Massively multiplayer Online: 2 false statements 

Somewhat failed APAC ---> Phaeris transition. Many players simply lost their accounts. I personally had to provide ID cards issued by my government to recover my main account... which is, by the way, illegal to ask for in my country.

Removal of the ingame mods/GM after the APAC transition.

Removal of Jack the Black after APAC transition. Not realizing the importance of the events organized by Jack the Black. Ankama: Pls learn what's «sense of belonging» to a community.
Owlie came in with some in game events years later, for all servers, but not properly considering different timezones, taking for granted that everyone was looking at the forum, etc etc.

During the infamous dupe event (Phaeris wasn't alone btw, and happened twice): Not rolling back indeed, but also randomly banning veterans players for dupe, when they did not actually dupe. Also, taking for granted that every players who bought dupes knew that they were buying dupes... Players are the base of a MMO... take care of how you treat them, don't suppose they are all evil. Communication was insanely wrong at the time.

Not taking care of Kamas sellers

We can add the failed launch on Steam... where people got issues linking their account and the client was so bugged that the game got poor reviews and new players would leave a week later. Still today, the ingame shop (steam client) and steam overlay are broken, and they've been for about two years now.

And the insane marketing fail for not properly using the momentum provided by the launch of the last season of Wakfu on Netflix. (again, all servers)

Reasons for which I wouldn't comeback after a merge:

Grind (we asked less grind for years, they gave us more grind).
At some point they added tokens and stuff like that... but failed to realize that the worst grind wasn't dun runs but all the repetitive and mind-numbing farming/mining. Repetitive tasks aren't fun, and are known to cause depression and other mental illness in the real world, that's science fact... so why focussing on these in a GAME!? In the last 2 years, the game became even more focussed on the professions. I was playing Wakfu to decompress and release some stress after school and work, not to repeatedly clic non stop like a no brainer. Wakfu now feels worse than my first IRL job while supposed to be a game.

RNG: grinding forever, get punished by RNG, grind again forever.
A game should be fun and rewarding... not feeling like work and punishing you for your efforts. It's a basic preschool game design/concept... 

Harassment: Being harassed if you aren't paying boosters. It's the only MMO I ever played that keeps showing you that you didn't pay booster... and even display popup when you login...  That really feel cheap and irritates me considering the lies, the never happened merge and all the money I wasted in the game. This also looks desperate. Ankama never really got how to monetize their games in a way that's appealing to the players.

12 0

This This This, the numb brain collecting harvesting pray for rare spawn...just for craft or when a "crazy rare" drops...then a 1-slots roll... Damn need repeated again for months like no progression at all... Can't agree more!!!

2 0

And don't talk about the sublimations scroll drop? Haha what a joke that need steles, ok, fine but steles need Pandalucia Thirster environment quest drops... % loot drop depend on another resources % drop over another environment quest's drops... the math is just wrong :[

1 0
Score : 4561

At some point a lot of people had done all content in Wakfu, were fully geared, maxed, and were begging for more content...  and I guess that some genius (not) decided that to prevent this to ever happen again they had to artificially extend the game's lifespan, but wasn't genius enough to realize that it was simply painful and not enjoyable anymore.

Also, I think they globally confused "difficulty level" with grind.

3 0
Score : 1398

Merge is coming? Mods confirmed that it was mentioned in the Live Stream

3 0

Pretty sure merge was mentioned in 2017 too.

4 -4
Respond to this thread