FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Do people not play Beta Wakfu?

By wirrtt - MEMBER - January 19, 2019, 22:15:31

Either that or they don't complain about the obvious issues displayed on that server before they are carried over to the actual game. I never liked some of the stuff that Ankama decided to do over the last few years. The best thing they did, by a large margin, was making the game free to play. I'm going to try and list every complaint that I have about the game, things that I would've complained about have I played the Beta server:

1: Ultimate Bosses are now only doable in Competitive mode.

For those of you who don't know, an Ultimate Boss is like a dungeon boss, only there is no dungeon and the boss is crazy strong for the required level (which is another issue altogether, but we'll tackle that later). Usually, you attempt to fight them in company of a group of up to six people, but, when you're on a much higher level and don't want to wait for other players to join you (which could take a lot of time), you can attempt to do them on your own and possibly win. Recently, however, Ankama decided to adopt the Competitive mode that other dungeons have on the UBs, which makes the whole party be on the required level and gives them an emblem that replaces their equipment. So far there's no motivation for people to make angry posts online, but the thing that lit the fuse on this issue was them making the Competitive mode mandatory on those fights. Why did they do it? What's the problem of wanting to play by yourself if you're capable of handling things on your own? This issue has been talked about on this forum before (https://www.wakfu.com/en/forum/329-your-expectations-2019/235512-rework-ultimate-boss-dungeons-make-competitive-mode-optional), and other players didn't seem to get the point of the complaint because most of them stated that "UBs were too easy, now they are actually a challenge" when the problem was that they made it not an option that players could pick before entering the fight, instead of forcing them to battle with an automatic build. If that's the case, then it doesn't make sense why low level players can't do the dungeon since we'll all be forced to use the same equipment and be on the same level.

2. New nations vs Old nations

When you start playing the game (after the tutorial in Incarnam) you're thrown into this city called Astrub, and it's full of players, newbies and veterans. You walk around, discover new monsters, stronger monsters. You harvest, you plant, you mine, fish, cook, etc etc etc. After the first week of adventuring, you want to change locations and decide to join one of the four nations (Brakmar, Sufokia, Amakna and Bonta) by interacting with the big board next to the giant owl in the center of Astrub. However, you're mildly surprised that you find no monsters in this new nation you chose that you can fight. You go to other nations and meet the same problem. Not only that, but you also notice that those nations are so tiny compared to the first city. That's an issue we didn't use to have with the old nations. If you compare the two pictures above, you'll see the difference in size between the old and new Sufokia respectively. Also, if you take a look at the other nations, you'll see that they all look the same, just a small square continent that you can walk around in a couple of minutes, while each of the old ones had unique designs and a huge landscape that was worth exploring. Ankama claims that they made exploring nations easier by shortening them, but that completely takes away the fun of walking around if the whole country is the size of a Walmart parking lot. Not to mention that there's a thing in the game called drago-express (and zaap portals) that can teleport you to different places you've already visited in the nation, making you not have to walk twice for 300 miles to get to the other side of the nation. Going back to the new nation's monsters, Ankama took away the low level mobs (like gobballs and tofu) and added much higher leveled ones. Doing so makes going to a nation pointless until you're at least level 30 or higher depending on the nation you chose. Also, territories. Let's assume that you picked Amakna as your nation and decided to go grind on monsters there, but then you notice that the amount of experience points you're earning is pretty low. After a few battles, you finally decide to check what the grey icon in the top of your screen is and find out that you're in an enemy nation's territory. Oh, I'm sorry, did you not realize that a chunk of your country can belong to some other government? So the very limited options of monsters to fight becomes fewer and you're forced to go back to Astrub and grind on low leveled mobs until you're strong enough to face the next monsters of your nation, or maybe any of the islands if there are none.

3. The quests are long, boring, and sometimes unfair.

Do you like going back and forth a lot, watching unskippable cutscenes, and playing mini-games that make you want to look up a walkthrough? Then these quests are perfect for you. From the very beginning, you're forced to wait through the emote-based reactions of your own character and lots of dialogue boxes until you finally get out of the tutorial and jump into the real game, only to find out that was the least of your concerns. You now are doing the Astrub main quest line and you get to a locked door that the game told you to open, but you don't have the key, so you go all the way back from the sewers to the surface to get the darn thing, which by the way you couldn't get before because your character "didn't know they needed it", and then come back to the sewers. Skip a few levels and you're doing the Wild Estate quest with the gobbowl mission. It's a seems like a harmless mini-game at first, but you can get stuck on it for half an hour trying to figure it out. A few moments later, you're inside a cavern where you have to gather a bunch of gems to open a big door. Getting one of them, as some players may remember, is complete bs, because you're supposed to walk on this stone floor where most of the tiles make you fall and redo the whole "puzzle" over and over until you either get through it by trial and error or give up and just look up a walkthrough. The same situation happens all over again in the Wabbit Island quest, where you have to walk over an invisible path inside a cave. Besides all that, you also have the Competitive dungeon issue where you have to fight quest enemies with a specific moveset or equipment. That's not fun, that's time consuming. And unlike the usual grinding which also takes some time, quests don't always give you proper rewards. At least after going through the ordeals that are the island quests you get a key item that allows you to get previously unreachable chests with money and experience points in them.

4. Level requirement in dungeons.

A long time ago, there weren't any penalties for killing enemies that were of a much higher level than you. That allowed players to cheese the game and get levels real quickly. When Ankama saw that, he decided to lower the experience points you would earn when killing monsters. If there's a level difference of 30 or more, the exp gets progressively lower until you stop getting any. That's a fine decision that many people were okay with. More recently, he also put a level requirement on dungeons, making players unable to do them unless they were of a certain level or higher. This is more of a personal problem than anything and it really peeves me that Ankama decided to do that. The issue here is that players that use Booster Packs of hero level or higher will be playing with both their main character and their heroes, and so they will be limited to killing small mobs outside of the dungeon instead of the big ones inside. You can argue that there are horde mobs that give a lot of experience, but those are rare and other groups of players can kill them as well. When your heroes finally reach the level requirement, you'll have moved on to the next area because it'll give more experience points than the dungeon on the previous area.

5. Crops are rarely available in some areas.

Besides the monster killing, Wakfu also offers you the optional professions to level up. Those include (but are not limited to): farmer, fisherman, lumberjack, miner and trapper. If you desire to get more levels in a job you like, you'll need to travel around the World of Twelve to find more materials to harvest. However, you'll eventually reach a point where you check the ecosystem of a region you're at and find out that there are only a few crops there. This is mostly because of rude players whom don't replant resources after they collect them, but it's also an issue that Ankama could easily fix by raising the respawn time on those materials, making it possible for multiple players to farm on the same place without needing to worry about the area running out of crops. Instead, their solution to this problem was making resources that were planted by someone not be harvestable by anyone else but them. This keeps out the players with a bad behavior, but also prevents people who replant (as they should) not have access to those crops as well. It then becomes really frustrating for everyone when they go to an area and the plants there are either almost extinct or belong to someone else. Also, the system that punishes players for farming resources that are scarce by taking away citizenship points from them isn't applied to herbalist's plants and farmer's crops, only to lumberjack's trees, and even then some of them don't care if they become outlaws because they are a high level player and others are not likely to beat them.

Well, that's it for my ranting. Hope you enjoyed scrolling through it to read the comment section, I know I will. If you think about it, this was all a waste of time, because there's no way Ankama will change any of the stuff I complained about, so I just wasted 2 hours of my day for nothing. Oh well, c'est la vie.
6 -1
Reactions 6
Score : 3881

3. The quests are long, boring, and sometimes unfair.

Do you like going back and forth a lot, watching unskippable cutscenes, and playing mini-games that make you want to look up a walkthrough? Then these quests are perfect for you. From the very beginning, you're forced to wait through the emote-based reactions of your own character and lots of dialogue boxes until you finally get out of the tutorial and jump into the real game, only to find out that was the least of your concerns. You now are doing the Astrub main quest line and you get to a locked door that the game told you to open, but you don't have the key, so you go all the way back from the sewers to the surface to get the darn thing, which by the way you couldn't get before because your character "didn't know they needed it", and then come back to the sewers. Skip a few levels and you're doing the Wild Estate quest with the gobbowl mission. It's a seems like a harmless mini-game at first, but you can get stuck on it for half an hour trying to figure it out. A few moments later, you're inside a cavern where you have to gather a bunch of gems to open a big door. Getting one of them, as some players may remember, is complete bs, because you're supposed to walk on this stone floor where most of the tiles make you fall and redo the whole "puzzle" over and over until you either get through it by trial and error or give up and just look up a walkthrough. The same situation happens all over again in the Wabbit Island quest, where you have to walk over an invisible path inside a cave. Besides all that, you also have the Competitive dungeon issue where you have to fight quest enemies with a specific moveset or equipment. That's not fun, that's time consuming. And unlike the usual grinding which also takes some time, quests don't always give you proper rewards. At least after going through the ordeals that are the island quests you get a key item that allows you to get previously unreachable chests with money and experience points in them.

Ok the other points I won't really get into, but don't blame developers if you suck at quests that aren't "go to this clearly marked point on the map" or "fight this sheep".
I never once had to look up a single quest apart from "catch the seed" minigame in year 1 huppermage school and the invisible floor puzzle in the cra temple quest (wa wabbit can suck it).

Firstly, the tutorial is the tutorial, you ca skip it if you want (but I wouldn't mind skippable cutscenes, especially in the dungeon)

I will admit that the donatelangelo part of the main quest is super patronising, but I expect it's to teach players about dungeon instance no-permanence (and they should really make his cutscene skippale, hoo boy, i saw it 40 times and that's 35 times too many).
And yeah the pal key is stupid, i agree.
PS:While on topic of constructive criticism, what's up with that timed trapdoor in the traverse compass room? it's a game mechanic that is used literally 1 time in the entire game, it feels like wasted potential

On the other hand, the bworkball game (which is like gobbowl, but without the cheating) in the wild estate questline is super easy, just get 3 blocker, 1 runner, have the blockers lock everyone while the runner circles around them, then just pass the ball to him and dunk, I usually win on turn 3 on any difficulty.

For the Bwork foot room or "bs stone floor" as you call it, what symbols are safe to walk on is literally spelled out on the wall (are you blind?), just follow that and you literally can't fail unless you missclick.

The wa wabit invisible path is bs tho, I agree, there's not even any hints, they should make it like the old fire of love puzzle, that at least shown you the path before you stepped on it.

As for rewards, while the artifact temples do unlock exp and kama treasures, the other quests usually provide quite good exp, or tokens in the case of mercenary quests (moon mercenary can have their head examined tho, I ai't paying a million just to be able to get quests).
3 -4
Score : 1543

wirrtt

2. New nations vs Old nations

(...) Going back to the new nation's monsters, Ankama took away the low level mobs (like gobballs and tofu) and added much higher leveled ones. Doing so makes going to a nation pointless until you're at least level 30 or higher depending on the nation you chose. (...)

While you have a lot of valid points that maybe I'll throw my opinion about later, I have to say I kinda disagree here. Each area in the game has a level range which makes it pretty obvious towards what kind of players it's aimed, and (new) Astrub is suppossed to last until level 30-ish because unlike (old) Astrub, it has different areas and more optimized mob families (instead of a few level 10 mob families).

And while you can argue that this discourages the youngest newbies to go to a nation, it's also worth  mentioning how pointless has been to anyone past level 60 to go to a nation (outside of UB ) at all, and considering just how big they were it was pretty sad how they only covered the level ranges that are fastest to get by. I think it's good that there's actual mob variety, and that nations are a place that invites most players regardless of their level to go there, try to farm or drop stuff, and even maybe interact.

Also it was pretty dumb to have gobballs in each nation, when Astrub has the long time (since Dofus era!) gobball area. It doesn't add variety or an enriching gameplay value to have the same mob family copy-pasted five times.
4 -1
Score : 139

BASED AND REDPILLED

0 -6
Score : 4648

I generally check out the beta upgrades. This one, however, was flat out confusing. I gave up after around 10 minutes. When the upgrade went live and I got to one of the overly populated and extremely complicated cities, I got s Bad Feeling -- which has lingered.

1 0
Score : -808

we can try beta, can knows the bus, can degree with changes, can see good, bad things, but cant change ankama's mind. so, forget it xD

1 -2
Score : 5533

misleading thread title

1 -1
Respond to this thread