FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Based on the Gamakna #6 Wakfu 2018 Roadmap, let start the talk about the Nox-Remington merger that most like will NOT happen in 2018

By rhayam - MEMBER - February 28, 2018, 20:46:30
AnkaTracker

Greetings,
  so based on the excerpt of the Gamakna #6  in the Wakfu 2018 Roadmap, looks like technical challenges of data transfer of one-to-one (with the proper adjustment for Haven Worlds ) is not feasible.

There are other issues, but looks like the sheer volume of data is the core technical challenge, so ideas to minimize the data transfer are welcome.

And please, if you do not like an idea, do not go into a warpath, Troolk tranformation, or flame war over it.   If you want to say something, go explanatory.  "I do not like it, I think it could be better done or way".

Is possible that someone will suggest "Just transfer the naked character with their current level and the adjusted kamas and nothing else.   Ignore the guilds, ignore the haven worlds,  the PvP information, reset all the quests and his nation alliance"
   Yes, that for sure is an EXTREME way to minimize the data transfer, but if you do not agree with it, do not start insulting, and blasting away.   Being civil and provide constructive suggestions will save time, space and yield better results. happy

Below is an excerpt, I will write my suggestions later.

"“I know we announced this a long time ago and that some of you have really been looking forward to it. Today, I'm very sorry to say that it's unlikely to happen in 2018.
However, I'm aware of the issue you might have, and we are already looking into an alternative way for you to join other servers. We're studying the possibility of exporting a full copy of your character outside Haven World. For some of you, this would involve reducing the amount of kamas and resources you own to ensure you have the equivalent in the target servers.
If this isn't possible from a technical standpoint, we are looking at allowing copies of your character (excluding inventory and personal items) on different servers, possibly with compensation tokens or at least a way to acquire the equivalent of your wealth from the previous server. So, you wouldn't be starting from scratch, but it wouldn't be a full transfer either. However, this would allow you to keep a character relatively close to your original character, while also allowing you to rebuild what you had.
Feel free to let me know if this solution would work for you, at least on paper. The modalities are still not set in stone, and as of right now I don't know to what extent we'll be able to allow you to transfer as much as possible to the new server.”

0 0
First Ankama intervention

Hello everyone,

As mentioned in GAMAKNA, a server transfer (character migration) is what the team is looking at as an alternative to a server merge:

We are already looking into an alternative way for you to join other servers. We're studying the possibility of exporting a full copy of your character outside Haven World. For some of you, this would involve reducing the amount of kamas and resources you own to ensure you have the equivalent in the target servers.If this isn't possible from a technical standpoint, we are looking at allowing copies of your character (excluding inventory and personal items) on different servers, possibly with compensation tokens or at least a way to acquire the equivalent of your wealth from the previous server. So, you wouldn't be starting from scratch, but it wouldn't be a full transfer either. However, this would allow you to keep a character relatively close to your original character, while also allowing you to rebuild what you had.Feel free to let me know if this solution would work for you, at least on paper. The modalities are still not set in stone, and as of right now I don't know to what extent we'll be able to allow you to transfer as much as possible to the new server.

If any of these options would work or if you have any improvements in mind, please let us know.
See message in context
Reactions 34
Score : 2627

They just have to merge databases. It's not rocket science. The amount of data shouldn't be a problem unless there is a shortage of time / money / code quality.
The only actual issues I can see are three.
1. Haven Worlds. Just drop the idea of them being accessible from different parts of the world (which doesn't really serve any purpose at all) and just have a central menu/place to get to them. Or if you don't like that just give the kama/material investment back to the guild leader and call it a day.
2. Name/accountname collision, in which case you can make some website to solve it based on character creation date or some other completely arbitrary idea. Not ideal but there's really not much else to think.
3. Different server economies, easily solved by multiplying kamas by some numbers.

Just do it.
I don't know why they are having so much trouble with something like this. Characters, items, guilds, quests, haven bags, most things should merge without issues, it's just copying database rows, after automating some "find+replace" of IDs first. They already do some of this for the test server, so they should have an okay idea of how it works.
Sure, it's work, an engineer needs to sit down and make it happen correctly, but it shouldn't be an incredible challenge unless something is very wrong.

9 -1
Score : 5065

Well for 2. you could just add [PHA] and [NOX] before the conflicting names like on the beta server

0 0
Score : 6586

"The merge that never happened"

Sounds like a great title for a book about this whole ordeal.

2 0
Score : 4945

For the name issue just make it so we have a (server name of origin) tag like beta does, EZ fix. that is already viable. Or even just have a new server to which all are moved to and that new server will do the thing beta does for names joining. 

0 0
Score : 1245

Havenworlds never served any real purpose, they should give the money back to those guilds and continue to build the game.

3 0

Hello everyone,

As mentioned in GAMAKNA, a server transfer (character migration) is what the team is looking at as an alternative to a server merge:

We are already looking into an alternative way for you to join other servers. We're studying the possibility of exporting a full copy of your character outside Haven World. For some of you, this would involve reducing the amount of kamas and resources you own to ensure you have the equivalent in the target servers.If this isn't possible from a technical standpoint, we are looking at allowing copies of your character (excluding inventory and personal items) on different servers, possibly with compensation tokens or at least a way to acquire the equivalent of your wealth from the previous server. So, you wouldn't be starting from scratch, but it wouldn't be a full transfer either. However, this would allow you to keep a character relatively close to your original character, while also allowing you to rebuild what you had.Feel free to let me know if this solution would work for you, at least on paper. The modalities are still not set in stone, and as of right now I don't know to what extent we'll be able to allow you to transfer as much as possible to the new server.

If any of these options would work or if you have any improvements in mind, please let us know.
Score : 3985

this is really upsetting. 

0 0

Please don't send us to Remington, respect all communities equally and open up a neutral server where name and guild changes will be up to how fast people are instead of how much Ankama prefers Remington over other english communities, it's the ONLY fair approach if you're going with a server transfer push for this.

The best thing about a brand new neutral English server is that it would be almost like new chapter/life for the game and could create that new server hype which brings in a lot of new people instead of just a regular merge/transfer type deal.

You have more than enough servers to play with, I've seen you open up 20 new servers for Dofus here and there (ok maybe more like 4 or 8 servers) but you get my point. And for the love of god just remove haven worlds as an idea, let the community play together. Let people fight for resources in the open world and through battlefields. Haven worlds were never needed, you can admit ankama, it doesn't hurt, give people's kamas back and move on.

0 -3
Score : 7228

I was migrated to Rem allready and lost a lot, why should I go through this again, if this was planned at the end server for all smaller servers. Rem population is fine. I would be happier, if all of Nox and Phaeris could have their haven worlds and guilds here too. I allready lost nearly all my names as I migrated to Rem, why should I want this again, if you don't want it? Everybody have their wanted name is only a dream until they change the chat and other connections from a character based to an account based system.

1 -1
Score : 11831

I'm on remi so I'm less impacted by the merge, but reading the merge update I had to wonder "is this some kind of joke?".

From my perspective, people's stuff basically IS their character. The difference between my Sram and any other level 200 Sram is the stuff my Sram has (equipment/costumes/titles/professions etc).

A server migration without retention of equipment isn't a character transfer, it's them being given a new blank slate character to start anew on. If someone has a maxed-out optimized character then that's not the kind of thing they can easily recreate on a new server, especially if they have rare or now-unobtainable costumes/items. And I really don't trust the idea of people being given compensation to help them rebuild, because in my experience Ankama really misjudges what's fair compensation. Also, accurately judging how much compensation everyone needs would be a HARDER task than transferring their stuff in the first place lol.

So it's no surprise to me that the people I know who were counting on the server merge are bitterly disappointed by this news.

Yeah maybe talking about maxed chars with irreplaceable stuff is a fringe example, so let's look at the opposite extreme. If someone is a new player levelling up without any special items then a migration like that would perhaps be acceptable to them. But in that scenario they could create a new character on remi and level that from scratch, which would actually be faster and more effective than waiting for a merge/migration.

I also have to wonder what's going on here. Beginning of 2017 the merge was announced. Since then people were reassured multiple times that they'd keep all their stuff. It's now early 2018 and it's announced that the merge is unlikely to happen in 2018 at all, so they're looking into alternatives. Which might involve people losing all their stuff. Because they aren't sure what is/isn't technically possible.  I mean I don't want to shoot the messenger and I don't want to discourage further communication, but uhhh clearly those two stories don't match up at all.

I'm also a bit unclear what they mean about the migration. Do they mean
a) there will be no merge, but players will be allowed to migrate instead.
b) there will be a merge, but it will take a long time so players will be allowed to migrate ahead of time to join remi server earlier.

Either way if you have underpopulated servers, allowing players to transfer OUT of those servers seems like it's just going to exacerbate the problem and make it more and more necessary for people to migrate (unless they want to play wakfu as a single player game). Maybe you can say that's necessary for the sake of playerbase population overall, but still I can see some people being unhappy about it.

And I do think retaining your items is like the ABSOLUTE minimum a migration/merge process should aim for. It's outright bizarre that Ankama would even bother to ask "is it okay if you lose all your items?", because it's inconcievable that any seriously invested player would be okay with that.

17 0
Score : 1661

Honestly, the amount of effort, time and money people invested in getting the best equipment is just so far beyond giving compensation. Imagine crafting a souvenir item and collecting its mats is just totally difficult, imagine someone who has 6 lvl 200 characters all fully equipped (and I know a lot people who like this in our server)  and this happens?  

Im little bit dismayed...

1 0
Score : 9441

Its truly upsetting, i don't speak for everyone but i for one would not mind if only my character and their gear were able to transfer
I dont care if i have no kamas i can sort that out myself
I dont care if my names need to be changed, or my guild remade
I dont care if i lose my haven world
I just want to have my gear so i can play with my friends who exist on a server where getting gear is a true struggle due to the low population
I want to play this game without a divided population

7 -4
Score : 596

I personally would enjoy if they'd allow character cloning under the following rules:
-the character has the same level, same stats set and attacks, and all the quests and accomplishments they did.
-they have everything in their inventory, including the 3 bags and the 2 boxes, but their money is limited.
-they have everything in their havenbag except the chest.
-they aren't linked anymore with the account chest and the multimen and other characters.
-they're not linked to their guild anymore, but they're still linked to their nation. If they had any role in the government tough, they lose it.

I mean, if your quests are made, that's the most important, right?

1 -1
Score : 7186

This whole ordeal makes me rather upset. I've been waiting on the merge for a year.
I do not want to lose my progress on a merge, and the options given are far less than great.

Try to make it happen, you can figure out your issues.

2 -1
Score : 1336

kinda letdown... who want to lose their progress/attainment?.. im even looking forward to revive my old guild on other server but... meh. sad even my friend from other server is waiting for merge so we can play together. sad

0 0
Score : 4634

About the (false) server merge... 
Firstly, Phaeris wont survive another year... there isn't even enough players to really enjoy the latest update.

@Jonquille, ​​​​​​about your whitepaper (character transfert or whatever), I'll just reply that I would be really angry to lose anything from my kamas or inventory as I've been playing since day one back on APAC, and I've 10 characters lvl 200.... all geared, and I deserved every pieces of my kamas!!!!! You can't just say "your kamas worth less than Rem' kamas" because you have no facking idea of the efforts some of us put into it!!!  I've accumulated all those years of kamas... you can't compare to some newbies who have been playing for X year(s)!!!!

I paid real money in that game too, so if you were to get some of my gear/inventory/kamas then I would expect a consequent monetary compensation, and my country allows me to send you legal papers for that.

Moreover, last year you promised merge, and so as I expected the game to get in better state after that I went over and bought a full year of heroes and booster on 2 accounts.... And now you are telling us that you wont... well you know what... my country does allow me to send you legal paper for that too, because this is false representation and because I did waste my money because I believed you, which I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Sorry not sorry. I've never been more upset about Ankama.

6 -1
Score : 1242

BattleField MADE me stop playing Wakfu, I however kept checking the forums for some sort of silver lining. Yet, i can't say I was surprised. Ankama has never disappointed us in being disappointing, and I see that it is a trend now.The nail has been knocked into the coffin. I literally have no reason, no incentive for playing wakfu at this moment. Such a beautiful game, I only wished it was ran by a different company.

Maybe something positive might happen soon who knows?

Cheers.

3 -1

Something good might happen like nation rework but that's definitely not soon. Same with class reworks, that's months into the future before they get to more of the classes that really need it. Moreover, there's no new content to do since Mt Zinit last year.

So your hope for soon, put that away, Ankama's years behind where they should be.

1 0
Score : 24975

I am not even surprised.
And just like Jenarall i disliked recent changes and i keep looking at forum every day, simply because it became my habit.
Despite having little interest in playing this game anymore, i guess some part of me still is naive enough to hope for this game to stop becoming worse and start doing what is right.
With that being said, let me tell you what are my thoughts about this migrations.

1. Haven World problems
It was obvious that there would be a conflict of having 2 or more haven worlds from different guilds from different servers in the same location. What's more if you let one server keep their HW's and make other people migrate to that server by abandoning their's HW's, you are making the game unfair for the population of other servers. The only fair solution would be to wipe all of the HW's from existance, even on the server people would migrate to, to put everybody in the same boat. Compensations? Sure, but make it fair for all, without favourizing people who didn't have to migrate.

Of course there is alternative solution, and that would be remove HW's from maps and instead turn them into instance that people can access from one location (for example from nation's Jonk's, or from guild list board that already list all of the guild, you would just need to add buttons in it to enter selected guild's HW's). From positives, it would help you to transfer data from different servers, since there would be no conflict of 2 HWs being in the same place as there would be no actual place on the map occupied by HW's. It would also slightly improve loading maps, as less stuff would need to load. Another positive outcome would be that every guild could have a HW, though maybe you could place a tax on HW's that guilds need to pay to keep their HW, and if the guild becomes inactive then the HW is removed from server as there was no tax paid to keep the HW. Simple as that and it would give some constant kama sink instead of 1 time purchases. It would also make people care to play, to not lose the HW. The only negative i see here is that it would require some time and effort to code it. Yet again i belive its best solution. Best =/= easiest. Please don't go easy way by wiping players progress and giving them silly tokens as compensations.

2. Names of characters/names of the guilds/coat of arms
The best way i see it happening would be to make people able to rename their guilds and give guilds new coat of arms, whiletemporarily giving them name of... say 0011269, 0011270, 0011271 etc that people would need to change to benefit from guild bonuses. And same goes for coat of arms that could simply become blank until people choose their again.

As for character names... i have the same name of characters on different servers. Now my character i play on phaeris has higher level then the one on remington so of course i would prefer to keep the name on the higher level one if they both happen to be on the same server. To me best solution would be to force people to choose their names again as they log in (even those who are on remington server to have their names reset). This however leads to a race where those who manage to log in first will win the name if 2 people happen to have the same name, but i belive this is inevitable either way. The [PHA]name, [NOX]name is not good solution, unless its temporary one and you do indeed give players name change scrolls. However again you would need to make people in remington have their names as [REM]name (and give them name change scrolls too). Not sure if you can code it but it would be ideal to make people with the [server]name to have their names preserved (aka unable to choose by other people who have different name followed by server name) and only if they choose different name will their previous name be lifted to be used by other players. Of course it still makes people have a race if 2 players have the same name on different servers, but it ensures that only one of those people can get that name. And if these people, like me, made the characters with the same name on different servers, then they could be certain they will keep their name - they would just need to choose wich one of their characters would keep the original name.

3.Money issue
Not sure about Nox, but in Phaeris people have less money then in remington. What changes you plan to do to those in phaeris, because for sure you can't lower their amount of money. If anything, you would need to rise it up. But by what amount? That is the problem i can't solve on my own.

4. New server
This is an alternative. Announce that server will close in 4 months or so, and make people migrate to completly new, fresh server. People would be able only to keep their HB content, their inventory/equipement/artifacts/tokens and quest progression but no HW and no money. It would be a server where kamas can only be minted and not dropped by monsters anymore, and money rewards and in chests would be replaced by runic powder or runes. For first few months zaaps wont cost a single kama to make people get used to it. There will be no black market without tax anymore and all market places will be linked to eachother. You could add some more improvements while you are at it, like unlocking battle tents (arenas) or rushu rush dungeons (with waves you need to survive, and top players make their nation have bonus in stats), giving more ore nodes on maps, placing dragoexpress in trade bridges, making content on HB's in trade bridges seen in market board like in old beta days 6 years ago, give people 2 more spells in deck, adding more general passives, revamp certain classes, give monsters in nations 30% more hp because tbh they too weak, revamp all maps of nations while we are at it because it was planned for very long time and has yet to happen, add ranked pvp where you can 1 v 1 random people or 3 v 3 or 6 v 6 in organized pvp matches (collosseum) because gang bang in battlefields is no fun, make trool fair interesting and worth visiting (though you might make it accessible say only in summer and around x-mas), introduce new UB's (Kraken in sufokia please), make exp curve changed so that we spend more time in lower level where there is plenty of dungeons to try and make us have better exp bonus as we level up to higher content where we repeat the same dungeons, introduce new challanges in combat and change them to give more impact on drops if you complete them to give people incentive to take things slowly and carefully win for better rewards over rushed dungeon runs where people just doesnt care about those challenges, add more hidden chests in nations and other island that contain emotes because searching for them all was always fun in exploring, give us separate tab for equipement that is used just for harvesting, to make it always give us bonuses without forcing us to change our battle equipement so that we can fight in between harvests without feeling discomfort, and more...

5 -1
Score : 4488

I was returning home a few minutes ago, thinking about this merge and stuff.
I work as a Web Developer for over 10 years now. I also work with SQL Database management and development. I did some mergers here and there... some had over 100 tables with 0 pattern in the columns or table names.

And I gotta tell you, after over 30min thinking about it, sorry but, the only real problem I see is Economy.

Imo, players hate losing money so, like some other players already said, increasing the Kamas of the lowest economy players is a solution that won't make many others too mad but also would make these affected players extremely happy. How you do that? Percentage. Calculate the total amount of Kamas in each server. The one with the biggest economy will receive the players from the other servers, with increased Kamas based on the difference.

After that, is all about scripts. I can do it. For free, really. It is not that hard. I could probably do it in about, 3 weekends? Rename every character and guild with REM- PHA- and NOX- in front of their names and give 1 Free Char/Guild Rename scroll to everyone. First come, first served.

Haven Worlds? Like rhayam said, a new interface to select the HW you want to travel. Accessed from any Zaap on a separated tab. Each HW still associated with a Nation, ofc, but not showing on the map. Want to show it on the map? Ok, but no walk-over portals. You go where the HW is located and there will be a "portal" to "click" and teleport to one of the HW's on that location (3 HW for each location, from the 3 servers merged).

Oh, and the new server would have a new name. And that's pretty much it.

Tbh, I believe this wasn't done yet because Wakfu barely pay itself and this kinda of work would require more money than it generates... so yeah. Anyways, contact me if you wanna see it done, for free, after the HW system is modified and the economy modification value is set.

2 0
Score : 3760

First id like if ankama started with a poll to see how much people are willing to lose over the merge, hw, guild, names.

Now since i used the feature myself the CHARACTER TRANSFER from account to account works perfectly. Can u adjust it to switch servers? For example everyone on nox and phaeris would get a free scroll for how many characters they have and everything they have in their inventory(read the char transfer description) would be kept. When i did account transfer, i kept my kamas, quest progress, achivements, costumes and all my gear in eq. THE SYSTEM FOR IT IS THERE AN IT WORKS all u gotta do is enable it to change servers. This way all population could move. You could keep phaeris and nox open for another year and send mails to everyone to transfer. Make it impossible to make new characters there and thats it. Ah also with the namss when u transfer u would get the [nox] or we before ur name with a name change scroll. Im pretty sure people would be happy to lose their names rather than play on a dead server. Its sill possible that there would be no one with that name!

3 0
Score : 4945

Works a bit differently from account to account when they are using the same Server.
But I agree its a good framework to start from. 

0 0
Score : 3439

I at this point care most about my items. 
So No ..I would not go for a "optional migration" if I would lose gears and resources I have worked my butt of to get. 

Optional migration/clonin = I would stay on Nox
Forced migration = I'd probably quit 

"migration" in this case referes to losing all/most of/some of my progress to have them compensated by tokens.

2 0
Score : 59

Totally agree it will only kill online (what's the problem for developers to just add a server I do not understand (

0 0
Score : 307

Just reset the entire game on one server. It'll be like the Great Flood. Insert some lore about Ogrest bawling again, everybody died, and now we're all Level 0. 

Some people may have invested more time than others, but if they earned their wealth and power they will carry experiences and memories that give them a leg up in the new server. Or they'll ragequit.

*shrug*

SplingSplingSpling|2018-03-09 12:10:00
That will force folks from the under-populated servers to start from the beginning, if they want anyone to play the MMO with.
Nobody on Remington would take up that new server, or would have to.

This solves nothing, and your suggestion sounds more like bait than anything else.

Hopefully Ankama is as bad at customer service as forum posters seem to believe.

If so, they should stick to form and do exactly as I suggested since it's the most unpopular idea here biggrin

@SplingSplingSpling what part about #bold reset the entire game #bold did you miss? Remington is included. The whole World of Twelve gets washed away in Ogrest's tears. There is no such thing as multiple servers anymore. We all restart if we wanna play.

*burns to a nonchalant crisp in firewall*

asia-Reg3e|2018-03-09 19:23:47
So, you're married, a good wife, couple children, a nice house, steady job, overall a good life any man with a dream would want.

Let's reset all that to 0. I mean you'll be fine right? since you've probably invested more time than some to earn your wealth, you should carry experiences and memories that give you a leg up in your new life.

That's actually exactly how experience works lol
0 -12
Score : 7186

That will force folks from the under-populated servers to start from the beginning, if they want anyone to play the MMO with.
Nobody on Remington would take up that new server, or would have to.

This solves nothing, and your suggestion sounds more like bait than anything else.

2 0
Score : 705

Hey Ankama, 

Your company can subcontract my team to do the data migration. I'm 99.9% certain that we can migrate everything for everyone, with data conflicts resolved in innovative ways that won't hurt player's invested times.

0 0
Score : 307

did this work?

0 0
Respond to this thread