FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Spell animations suck in this game

By Pandinade - MEMBER - February 05, 2017, 03:57:30
Reactions 43
Score : 8479

also can't forget about this beauty... it's a million times better than Wakfu's versions... and you have to remember that these animations are from 2000 ~ 2009.
0 0
Score : 2492

+1

I'm so down for an animation revamp. Animations really give life to everything. Quite literally.

1 0
Score : 6181
Xillor-The-Shadow|2017-02-05 22:54:49

also can't forget about this beauty... it's a million times better than Wakfu's versions... and you have to remember that these animations are from 2000 ~ 2009.
Hahaha no wonder Dofus 1.29 made more success. Have you seen the current Dofus 2.X Explosive Flask? HAHAHA
0 0

I just wonder if Ankama realizes that one of the biggest selling points of mmorpgs is the spell animations... if they're really good, then they're fun to use and play with. If they're bad, then fights are boring.

1 0
Score : 12956

We can disagree on a lot but this is all so true. It's like they waste time revamping things that don't need revamping like the "craft revamp" they're trying to add this week instead of using that time to revamp some of the spell animations.

Sadly like always they'll ignore their community and tell us they'll do this next year.

And delay it until never like they do with everything.

1 0
Score : 4111

i think nostalgia might be clouding your vision a bit, those old animations are an eye sore to me.

0 -1
Score : 139
SpecAce|2017-02-06 00:26:56
i think nostalgia might be clouding your vision a bit, those old animations are an eye sore to me.
i don't think they're bad but i also really like enu's refinement in wakfu, feels pretty satisfying to me so i don't really agree with some of the people in this thread who say it's a bad animation.

the only thing about spell animations that i don't like is that they don't show their aoe, like kokoleric has a huge aoe attack but then it doesn't show anything when it uses it. also fogger has big aoes but then theres only like an animation in the middle and it doesn't show the size. i want people to know how big my aoes are just from seeing me cast spells
0 0
SpecAce|2017-02-06 00:26:56
sorry if the gif quality sucks. The game itself is actually really clean looking.
1 0

@SpecAce I think it is a little of this. However despite how bad they can look, the animations are diverse, something that we do not have in Wakfu. Most spells are just small variations of the same effects :/

And Neneko, the secure craft is an update that I 100% approve, it's something that should have been around since the game release. I know it's not the best time to get it, but its something that we really needed. Now they can make almost every endgame gear craft-able instead of acquired by tokens xD

0 0
Niddhoggy|2017-02-06 00:37:17
@SpecAce I think it is a little of this. However despite how bad they can look, the animations are diverse, something that we do not have in Wakfu. Most spells are just small variations of the same effects :/

And Neneko, the secure craft is an update that I 100% approve, it's something that should have been around since the game release. I know it's not the best time to get it, but its something that we really needed. Now they can make almost every endgame gear craft-able instead of acquired by tokens xD
I think they all look really nice and anime. ... I do play dofus 1.29 now and I love these animations.... it's not nostalgia.
0 0
Score : 1313

I would actually love to see the animations revamped. The game is kinda slow paced, and that would make it more entertaining to watch, if all else. It'd also make it easier to identify spells.

Of course, there would be people that complain about the lag from it.. sooo they.. could make them optional? lol.

1 0
OoTLink|2017-02-06 03:53:32
I would actually love to see the animations revamped. The game is kinda slow paced, and that would make it more entertaining to watch, if all else. It'd also make it easier to identify spells.

Of course, there would be people that complain about the lag from it.. sooo they.. could make them optional? lol.
Normally what they would do is put in two layers, one for low quality and both for high quality. Then you could turn one or both layers off on the animation if it causes frame rate drop.
1 0
Score : 756

these are old dofus animations though. and they are lame imo.

wakfu ones are better. not all of them but in example sram trauma is good, etc...

0 -1
Score : 1868
shankissimo|2017-02-06 10:28:06
these are old dofus animations though. and they are lame imo.

wakfu ones are better. not all of them but in example sram trauma is good, etc...
The problem is that the "good animations" are like one among ten. I do like Wakfu's graphics better than Dofus, but Dofus had variety in their spell animations. Wakfu does not.

I'll be honest, I was very happy during the spell deck update as it gave new spells AND animations to some classes. Aesthetics is an important aspect for me in a game, and I really wish they made it better. Huppermage literally steals spells and their animation with no twist in them, and many of their original spells tend to be just shooting a glowing orb. It's sad.
1 0

Yes, the problem is the lack of diversity. Take Masqueraider's hornito. I think this is the kind of animation we are talking about, it's unique, it looks cool and it happens fast enough. Sram animations are quite decent compared to most classes as well. Bad animations have bad and standard effects. Take Enutrof's Hot Magma, it is just scalding bubbles effect, I would rather see the Enutrof making a move similar to Masqueraider's hornito (touching the ground) and then torrent of lava being spilled in the center of the area from the ground. The more mines it hits, wider and more turbulent the lava torrent becomes.

0 0
Niddhoggy|2017-02-07 00:15:05
Yes, the problem is the lack of diversity. Take Masqueraider's hornito. I think this is the kind of animation we are talking about, it's unique, it looks cool and it happens fast enough. Sram animations are quite decent compared to most classes as well. Bad animations have bad and standard effects. Take Enutrof's Hot Magma, it is just scalding bubbles effect, I would rather see the Enutrof making a move similar to Masqueraider's hornito (touching the ground) and then torrent of lava being spilled in the center of the area from the ground. The more mines it hits, wider and more turbulent the lava torrent becomes.
Hornito is probably one of my favorite spell animations in this game... I wish more of them could be like that.

If more spells animations were on this level of quality and were each diverse without just using generic green or blue particles (based on the element) I would be super happy.

I mean imagine if they never animated the horns in for this spell and just left it as some red/orange particles. Thats basically what almost every other spell feels like in this game. Like they're missing something important... like diversity.
0 0
Score : 1247

I support this thread 110%.. And please, can you just drop in a little doodle and get rid of that Dragon Osa's "Snout"... Don't get me wrong the class looks badass EXCEPT for that little nose part right there, I mean c'mon you guys act like it'll cost an arm and a leg to apply these little things Ankama.. Listen to the community for once, cheers!

0 0

Here is Playful Claw in Dofus 1.29. The gif has low frame rate but ignore that. In wakfu this is basically the spell "three cards" except it takes resist in wakfu.

This might be my favorite spell animation from Dofus 1.29

Here's Claw of Ceangal

Ecaflip's spells had juicy sound effects too
1 0

You know the funniest thing, they spend time creating things like that. THIS WOULD BE a great active support Enu spell, not an emote, digging a hole and moving to another square. Or just digging a hole and hiding... This could even be an earth spell, digs a hole and attacks from the underground ;o

We need animations like this!

2 0
Score : 7286
Niddhoggy|2017-02-07 01:56:08
You know the funniest thing, they spend time creating things like that. THIS WOULD BE a great active support Enu spell, not an emote, digging a hole and moving to another square. Or just digging a hole and hiding... This could even be an earth spell, digs a hole and attacks from the underground ;o

We need animations like this!

Ankama is greedy, unless they make those new animations some ppl want pay to use, ankama won't move a finger. That's what they have been doing "recently", everything they added had a player payment in mind, like incomplete costumes that require buying mimics so they don't look like trash, the builds pages that are not free but they are required to run +20 stasis dungeons or the crappy insignia makes you die so fast because the stats are crap, the wakfunding thing that no one is talking anymore about what happened with the anime, the battle finishers(does anyone use em? no? more dev time wasted with something no one asked but they made to get $$$)... i know ankama needs money but they are in a begging mood lately and it's really annoying.
0 -9
Respond to this thread