FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Spell animations suck in this game

By Pandinade - MEMBER - February 05, 2017, 03:57:30

Why are so many of the spell animations extremely generic particle effects in Wakfu? Seriously, like "Milk Wave" sounds awesome but then you use it and it turns out it's a tiny little bubble effect. What happened to "wave" lmfao... then go to Dofus 1.29, a game with unchanged graphics for the past 17 years, and pandawa has a spell called "Melancholy" which is a literal wave that you kick out of the ground to engulf your target.

Feels bad man. Why haven't the spell effect animations been updated in this game yet? When spells and attacks don't feel good, the game is boring. I would actually attribute this problem to one of the main reasons why this game isn't as appealing as it could be. Instead of just putting a little particle effect on the square I click, try using complex animations... like instead of a little bubble effect, try one where the Pandawa pulls a wave of milk out of thin air and blasts his/her target with it.

1 0
Reactions 43
Score : 6181

Tell me about it. Water Enutrof Branch reminds me of this:

They really need to pay more attention to little things like that. Panda could have very nice martial spell animations (like Avatar, for example). Instead they spend most of their time creating new costumes and putting on shop. What a shame.

Ahh one more thing. Dofus 1.29 has the best animations, 2.0 ruined most of them. Xelor's Punch on 1.29 is the coolest animation EVER created by Amakna.
2 0
Score : 8480
Niddhoggy|2017-02-05 04:00:13
Tell me about it. Water Enutrof Branch reminds me of this:

They really need to pay more attention to little things like that. Panda could have very nice martial spell animations (like Avatar, for example). Instead they spend most of their time creating new costumes and putting on shop. What a shame.

Ahh one more thing. Dofus 1.29 has the best animations, 2.0 ruined most of them. Xelor's Punch on 1.29 is the coolest animation EVER created by Amakna.
lol water branch enutrof is basically "throw blue particle effects at enemies" ... how boring.

And yeah man dofus 1.29 did it right... every spell in that game feels unique. To be fair though some animations are reused in that game... however if they do they normally make up for it by having a completely different use or effect.
0 0
Score : -1465

Lol?

0 0
Score : 4286

I tend to agree with this. Probably the reason why I like Masq's fire branch is that it is a bit flashy compared to other spells in the game. The game would benefit greatly from flashier spells. Some spells are downright sad looking.

1 0
Score : 1313
Niddhoggy|2017-02-05 04:00:13

Felination was my favorite. But yeah, Dofus 1.29 had some great animations lol.
3 0
Score : 988

I do agree that animations for many of the classes could do with some updating. I think Feca was one of the last classes to get updated animations and it definitely shows compared to many of the other classes. Water branches for Enutrof/Pandawa have been mentioned and are good examples.

One suggestion to the devs: Please carefully consider animation speeds if you do add new animations to classes. The 30-second turn timer already puts certain positioner/action heavy classes (Xelors, Pandawas etc) under time constraints without having to sit through slow spell animations.

0 0
Kynaran|2017-02-05 11:12:45
I do agree that animations for many of the classes could do with some updating. I think Feca was one of the last classes to get updated animations and it definitely shows compared to many of the other classes. Water branches for Enutrof/Pandawa have been mentioned and are good examples.

One suggestion to the devs: Please carefully consider animation speeds if you do add new animations to classes. The 30-second turn timer already puts certain positioner/action heavy classes (Xelors, Pandawas etc) under time constraints without having to sit through slow spell animations.
The timer should pause during animations. I think that is a great way to handle it. waiting for walking/spells takes away several seconds. the timer should only go down while you are idling I think.
1 0
Score : 3899

Yeah I agree, they have a lot of stff palned, lately, but they should really tell the art team to update the animations when they have the time.
I mean look at xelor air and water spells, it's just some particles and icicles on all spells (except clock, hand and mumification, those are friggin sweet).

1 0
Score : 2492

Yeah I have mixed feelings about spell animations. I like the idea of flashy animations but I also don't want animations that take a long time. I prefer really fast animations that allow me to make moves quickly.

0 0
Mishna|2017-02-05 18:21:05
Yeah I have mixed feelings about spell animations. I like the idea of flashy animations but I also don't want animations that take a long time. I prefer really fast animations that allow me to make moves quickly.
I'd rather pause the timer during animations or give players more time per turn... or have leftover seconds carry over to the next turn... there's so many things that could solve that problem..

It doesn't have to be to the detriment of spell animations.
1 0
Score : 3992

i think it would be a little bit tricky for them to implement your idea xillor,else i find it great
what i would have propoed is maybe just give more worked out animations and extend turn durations to compensate the animation times?

to ,like,40 or 45s

0 0
RaderElcaroman|2017-02-05 19:58:40
i think it would be a little bit tricky for them to implement them,maybe just give more worked out animations and extend turn durations?

to ,like,40 or 45secs
it's not a problem in dofus 1.29. If they put in better animations in this game and didn't lock the player in for the whole animation after casting the spell, it wouldn't be such a big deal... you just cast the spell and can move/cast other spells immediately afterwards.
1 0
Score : 12958

Some are great but others probably took them 1 hour to make like wild grass for sadida. Ankama likes to talk about how their artists a lot of time have nothing to do because the programmers are doing something else.

Yet they can't find time to make spells look better?
Maybe add new animations to the shop?

2 0

Lol this is felintion from back in the day... they removed in from the game though because it was like 10x longer than any other spell animation in the game and they couldn't be bothered to make such elaborate spell effects for every class spell.
1 0
Xillor-The-Shadow|2017-02-05 21:00:47

Lol this is felintion from back in the day... they removed in from the game though because it was like 10x longer than any other spell animation in the game and they couldn't be bothered to make such elaborate spell effects for every class spell.
there are so many other elegant solutions to the timer problem lol. pausing timer for animations or letting time carry over etc. boggles the mind why they don't apply these solutions.
1 0

Here's the really cool one for clock in Dofus 1.29. Wakfu's version of this spell is just sad lol

Slaughtering Shovel... that game's version of Refinement Shovel

Here's another one of my favorites... sram's Lethal Attack in their earth branch
1 0

I loved Xelor's Punch because it had such a great animation/sound effect. The tick-tock sounds were so well thought off and very well synchronized with the animation. There is another thing that makes an animation cool, the sound effect. That Clock animation had really good effects on both.

We don't need elaborated animations like Felintion, but we do need something better than we have now. For example, Tax of Enutrof's is actually a big snowball, why not make an explosion of kamas centered on the enemy? Refinement would do well with something similar to Slaughtering Shovel. Purge is pretty bad. It would be cool to see the Enutrof throwing a flask of acid on the enemy. Ah, Panda's explosive flask has a cool effect, but where is the flask? Damn, It would be so great to actually see a flask being thrown and the sound of glass breaking and then an explosion.

1 0
Niddhoggy|2017-02-05 22:42:39
I loved Xelor's Punch because it had such a great animation/sound effect. The tick-tock sounds were so well thought off and very well synchronized with the animation. There is another thing that makes an animation cool, the sound effect. That Clock animation had really good effects on both.

We don't need elaborated animations like Felintion, but we do need something better than we have now. For example, Tax of Enutrof's is actually a big snowball, why not make an explosion of kamas centered on the enemy? Refinement would do well with something similar to Slaughtering Shovel. Purge is pretty bad. It would be cool to see the Enutrof throwing a flask of acid on the enemy. Ah, Panda's explosive flask has a cool effect, but where is the flask? Damn, It would be so great to actually see a flask being thrown and the sound of glass breaking and then an explosion.
here ya go

0 0
Xillor-The-Shadow|2017-02-05 22:49:16
Niddhoggy|2017-02-05 22:42:39

here ya go

wub 
1 0
Respond to this thread