FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Play for free, or how to make the newcomers go away

By April 27, 2013, 11:50:26
Reactions 63
Score : 4008
Boorin|2013-04-28 17:37:23
it isn't false but it surely misleading, more than 90% ppls who read that advertising would think this is a f2p game, that advertising is the reason why this kind of thread keep popping up a million times. new comer reach the trail limit > can't keep playing > rage thread.
No the reason why these threads keep popping up is because people want to be able to play the whole game for a free without paying anything.
0 0
Score : 5188
Spazturtle|2013-04-28 17:21:46
How is it false advertising? You can download the game and play it with no time restrictions for free. That is what they promised, nothing more.

No, you can't?
0 0
Score : 3585
Spazturtle|2013-04-28 17:59:49
No the reason why these threads keep popping up is because people want to be able to play the whole game for a free without paying anything.

I think that these threads keep popping up because people feel deceived. There are mmos that offer the majority of the game for free and the subscription is required for bank slots, faster mounts, character slots or some expansive content. If those mmos brand themselves as free to play then it's still kind of inaccurate but the majority of the game is indeed free. Wakfu's idea of free to play though is a blatant trial account. It should be saying "try the game for free" or "play with limited access" or something like that.
0 0
Shaleigh1|2013-04-28 18:00:45
How is it false advertising? You can download the game and play it with no time restrictions for free. That is what they promised, nothing more.

No, you can't?
Er yes you can.

Click here

1. To occupy oneself in amusement, sport, or other recreation:
a.
To take part in a game

What do you call fighting mobs in Astrub?

CloudyMind|2013-04-28 18:15:21
Spazturtle|2013-04-28 17:59:49

I think that these threads keep popping up because people feel deceived. There are mmos that offer the majority of the game for free and the subscription is required for bank slots, faster mounts, character slots or some expansive content. If those mmos brand themselves as free to play then it's still kind of inaccurate but the majority of the game is indeed free. Wakfu's idea of free to play though is a blatant trial account. It should be saying "try the game for free" or "play with limited access" or something like that.
"try the game for free" would imply you don't get to keep it.
0 -1

Spazturtle i don't want to offend you so please don't take this as an offence but i think what you have is called fanboism because you are just dismissing all evidence and arguements presented. I really don't want to start using dictionaries for every single word used in that advertisement. The fact of the matter is that many people are misslead by it, weather it's their fault or Ankama's, and it would be good if it was altered to represent exactly what you are getting into without leaving any holes. New players are in a very delicate state when they try out a new mmo and they can very easily be turned off and not play the game.

0 0
CloudyMind|2013-04-28 19:44:19
Spazturtle i don't want to offend you so please don't take this as an offence but i think what you have is called fanboism because you are just dismissing all evidence and arguements presented. I really don't want to start using dictionaries for every single word used in that advertisement. The fact of the matter is that many people are misslead by it, weather it's their fault or Ankama's, and it would be good if it was altered to represent exactly what you are getting into without leaving any holes. New players are in a very delicate state when they try out a new mmo and they can very easily be turned off and not play the game.
I have seen so many threads where people claim to have been mislead and it turns out they fully understood and just wanted to play the full game for free and never pay and say things like you shouldn't have to pay for games and what not.

Now yes some people will have genuinely mis-understood and may be confused and angry but Ankama hasn't done anything illegal like a lot of them claim.

This isn't going to change, and we don't need any new threads on this, if people used the search box they could find out that many people have raised this issue.
They can comment in one of the older threads or leave, creating new threads is just annoying, and trying to get a free perma-sub is even more annoying (not saying the guy in this thread is trying to do that but others have.)
0 -1

Yeah i believe that what they are doing is not illegal but those things are often a matter of debate. However no one requested that the game to be free to play here and sometimes you just need to start a conversation over and you mat end up with a different outcome so i am all in for new threads of old subjects. And besides they might actually change this. You never know.

0 0
Score : 37375
Shaleigh1|2013-04-28 18:00:45

No, you can't?
You can log onto the game and play your character for free

You can't do everything but you can still play for free there is no "lockout" of your account if you don't pay
0 0
Score : 1125

Just went through the various pages of the get started guide, mentioned nothing about being sub based MMO. Obviously though a normal average person would see shop & Subscription and be curious.

The interesting thing about wakfu is why even dodge around the sub? Who are they helping by not being upfront about the sub fee? Certainly not themselves or customers.

As for the wording around "Play for free no time restriction" it's just a loophole honestly. You can play for free with no time restriction but that doesn't mean you wont have a content restriction.

They should have really set time aside on the roadmap to revamp the tutorial area and information and try to bring in more players.

0 0
Score : 3422
Shaleigh1|2013-04-28 17:04:27
Nosferul|2013-04-28 07:57:22
Shaleigh1|2013-04-28 07:54:04
Btw I agree with the false advertising thing, but this thread has been popping up like a million times already.

Are mods here merging threads?

@Nosferul: Dunno why you judge over people with multiple accounts like that. How do you even know it has anything to do with "rushing through the game"? Those are just wild assumptions on your side. I personally almost fall asleep nowadays when I only get to control one client, it is not demanding enough for me.
I said everyone's different and that was an example. There's always exceptions. Don't call me an assumer please.

Add: FYI, if you agree with this false advertisement discussion then you agree that Ankama should of been lawsuited since launch. Just pointing a little hint for you.

Yes, I do. If you would read up on my older comments you might have recognized that I was actually pointing in the direction of a lwasuit back then. I also pointed out that I am pretty sure Ankama has their own lawyers who wrote the EULA in a way that you cannot sue them for their way of advertising here.
I remember reading it once but I didn't believe you were 100% serious about it. I was mistaken. Sorry.
I mean to bring a lawsuit for this kind of ''false advertisement'' would of surely bankrupted Wakfu way back at launch due to the the gaming industry policies. Even with the best lawyers, they can't disregard the industry laws or ''alter'' them. Unless I completely do not understand english here and I'm wrong. The again I don't know if North American Policies are the same as the Europeen ones. Hmm... Reasearch time.

Most of the experienced Wakfu players should know by now that the NA site isn't 100% accurate and may mislead many people. On that matter, I'm trying to do something for the community at the moment. I'm just waiting on a response from the NA translator. Anyways. I don't know if I'm talking for nothing but I understand your point and concern and I hope you didn't take my response offensively.
0 0
Score : 1972

doesn't it simply just fix the damn advertising, make it clearly so ppls won't have any reason to make this kind of thread, if they make one and complain about subscriber, we may fight them easier.

@Spazturtle: keep your knowledge about this advertising for yourself, it won't change the fact that new comers still keep making this kind of thread if that advertising still exist.

0 0
Score : 2890

Wizard101 has the exact same model. You may play in the tutorial area for and unlimited amount of time... Wizard101 also calls it self a free to play game.

It differs a bit in that you don't necessarily have to subscribe to leave the tutorial area, you can actually buy zones and keep access to them forever, from your account, though this would end up being more expensive than just subscribing for a year.

Would you like ankama to sell permanent passes to sadida island or kelba? Though they would also have to implement a way to allow you to attack the critters on those islands. Then there is the fact that you can't actually trade or sell anything you find... ah well.

0 0
Score : 2620

I don't see the problem. They catch people's attention using the pray-for-free, which is true, you are able to play for free. However - before ANYONE should download something on their computer they should know what it is. A quick tour of the site will bring you to the page detailing the differences between being subbed and unsubbed and the restrictions that entails.

0 0
Score : 638

The problem with the f2p in wakfu is that it is so severely limited that it literally automatically directs players away.

The reason why I have subcribed to dofus for years was that the free to play allowed players to experience almost every aspect of the game. There was so much to do, and people to meet. And was one of the reasons why dofus was so succeful. I mean if any of you remember the dofus f2p areas were PACKED beyond belief.

Wakfus f2p is the most limited f2p area I think I have ever seen in any game. Don't expect your game to be successful if you don't even allow players to form conections and bonds with other f2p members before they decide to become p2p. The reason why I have not subscribed to wakfu yet is that the f2p zone is literally a deserted wasteland. There is nothing to do, and no one to meet. Heck I can't even make currency.

0 0
Score : 1125
AnonymousXeroxGuy|2013-04-29 11:08:26
The problem with the f2p in wakfu is that it is so severely limited that it literally automatically directs players away.

The reason why I have subcribed to dofus for years was that the free to play allowed players to experience almost every aspect of the game. There was so much to do, and people to meet. And was one of the reasons why dofus was so succeful. I mean if any of you remember the dofus f2p areas were PACKED beyond belief.

Wakfus f2p is the most limited f2p area I think I have ever seen in any game. Don't expect your game to be successful if you don't even allow players to form conections and bonds with other f2p members before they decide to become p2p. The reason why I have not subscribed to wakfu yet is that the f2p zone is literally a deserted wasteland. There is nothing to do, and no one to meet. Heck I can't even make currency.
Also bots. Anyways this topic will just go back and forth just leave it to ankama to try and tweak it.

Dofus is great they should transition the ideas from there to here honestly.

Challenges, Rare Items(dofus), DT Breeding, the one thing that wakfu does better than dofus is probably the scrolling screen imo.
0 0

Id honestly rather have no bots than a bunch of f2ps

2 0
Score : 2831

What Ankama could do is... I don't know... ALLOW ME TO ACTUALLY BUY A PERMANENT SUBSCRIPTION?!

For example, I bought GW2, and even if I didn't enjoy it as much as DOTA2 (which is F2P), I didn't mind it because in the end, I can go back to it whenever I wanted.

For a subscription of $6 a month, I could spend my money on something I actually have some level of ownership on and still have fun. For example, Binding of Isaac and Terraria have gone down to like, what $2? for endless hours of gameplay. Then there are also gaming bundles that you can get for as low as $1 for 4-5 decent games, and get 2 or 3 more if you paid above average (which is usually around $5-7).

Subscription based models are pretty poor as far as I'm concerned when a game like this, which has so many constant changes that there is no set model for anything (oh hey, since it's unfair that only Eniripsas can heal, let's make it so that EVERY CLASS WITH ACCESS TO A WATER TREE CAN DO REALLY BAD HEALS, THAT'LL MAKE THE GAME MORE TACTICAL SOMEHOW).

0 0
Iniquity|2013-04-30 03:04:17
What Ankama could do is... I don't know... ALLOW ME TO ACTUALLY BUY A PERMANENT SUBSCRIPTION?!

For example, I bought GW2, and even if I didn't enjoy it as much as DOTA2 (which is F2P), I didn't mind it because in the end, I can go back to it whenever I wanted.

For a subscription of $6 a month, I could spend my money on something I actually have some level of ownership on and still have fun. For example, Binding of Isaac and Terraria have gone down to like, what $2? for endless hours of gameplay. Then there are also gaming bundles that you can get for as low as $1 for 4-5 decent games, and get 2 or 3 more if you paid above average (which is usually around $5-7).

Subscription based models are pretty poor as far as I'm concerned when a game like this, which has so many constant changes that there is no set model for anything (oh hey, since it's unfair that only Eniripsas can heal, let's make it so that EVERY CLASS WITH ACCESS TO A WATER TREE CAN DO REALLY BAD HEALS, THAT'LL MAKE THE GAME MORE TACTICAL SOMEHOW).
You're comparing an MMO with a 2D platforming adventure game

That's like comparing apples and oranges theyre two different things
0 0
Score : 2831
MiniMikeh|2013-04-30 03:14:06
Iniquity|2013-04-30 03:04:17

You're comparing an MMO with a 2D platforming adventure game

That's like comparing apples and oranges theyre two different things
My point was is that there are a lot of things you could get with the same value, and be able to continue using them whenever you'd like.

If you really want me to start listing games that can be played with other people online, then I can do so.
0 0
Score : 8776

I feel that these types of people directly offended by the games (unlimited, free) beginner area are pretty far in the minority. I additionally feel that they will NEVER win this argument and last of all, I'm kind of glad the community doesn't have any more people to cry about the small stuff. Believe me we have enough. If you can't give up a Six Dollar Burger every month because the whole game wasn't free, then Wakfu isn't for you.

Peace,
Madd

0 0
Respond to this thread