FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Authenticator Bonus

By Nerd-Tease#5532 - MEMBER - March 31, 2015, 15:24:33

I already used the authenticator app before now or I wouldn't have noticed as quickly, but doing so gives a +5 wis, +5 Prospecting bonus for using it (for the duration of logon time)

While this is nice, 5 wisdom and 5 prospecting is hardly an incentive for using an app that does make it more of a hassle to log on. (And that's before getting to the fact that on some phones the app crashes at random)

While I chose to use the App due to increased security, Many people are fine with the security afforded by a password alone.

If you really want to get more people using this App and promote better account security, bump it up to +20 wis and prospecting. This is half of what the flasks in the cash shop give, and those are still useful with the authenticator bonus as they can stack.

0 -11
Reactions 17
Score : 2769

The problem is it would provide too big a bonus, in all honestly this shouldn't provide any, and people that can't use it would be upset.

They need another way for people to gain the bonus if they are going to keep it around as a app only is horrible.

5 0
Score : 12149

ive seen teh bonus in beta go up to 70 in both... i thought that tile buff thing had to deal with the beastiary

1 -6
Score : 21657

welp, i hate using authenticator, but even the 5% buff is enough incentive for me to use it again

1 -2
Score : 1557

I think its great that they are rewarding people for taking actions to make their account more secure. It actually helps ankama too, as the more people use this the better for Ankama's support team.

two factor authentication makes account theft require also stealing that secondary form of authentication. It's a lot harder to steal someone's phone than it is to get it from phishing, keylogging, etc.

This means less of Ankama's time wasted dealing with these tickets, and less players upset about all their stuff being gone suddenly.

This also would make account sharing difficult at best which benefits Ankama as well.

As for not everyone can use the app, if you can run wakfu, you can run the app (seriously, android is completely free and runs in a virtual machine using less resources than the wakfu client, and the app is available for android)

If they make the bonus larger, they will most likely see more widespread usage, which in the long run benefits everyone.

0 -13

No one is saying using it isn't a bad thing but giving a permanent reward when used isn't the way to go and making the reward even bigger would force people to use it and upset players.

Not everyone has a phone they want to use this for or install such a program on their computer and you shouldn't be punished in game if you don't use it because of it.

2 -1
Score : 561

Authenticator benefits are really nice and create more usage when it comes to account safety.

However, there is an issue with the current benefits.

While Prospecting is nice to have, its good to remember that Enutroufs gain damage off of this stat. And while seemingly harmless, this bonus can be used to round out that stat in a way to get the maximum benefit for minimal action.

While Enutrofs arent OP in the slightest, it would be an unfair advantage for other Enutrofs that can't use it.

I personally would suggest maybe rewards based on how many days you use the authenticator ranging from candies to costumes.

3 0
Chompers|2015-03-31 20:29:49
No one is saying using it isn't a bad thing but giving a permanent reward when used isn't the way to go and making the reward even bigger would force people to use it and upset players.

Not everyone has a phone they want to use this for or install such a program on their computer and you shouldn't be punished in game if you don't use it because of it.
It gives a benefit to those who use it, it changes nothing for those that don't. they don't have a prospecting or wisdom malus for not using it. You may see it as being forced to use it, and in some ways thats the point, to get more people to use it. However, for those who don't use (either because they can't or choose not to) nothing changes, it doesn't get worse for them. and Ankama isn't forcing people to use it

Regarding the Enutrof's gaining damage from this, I have to admit I did not think about that, but does that mean if an enutrof eats a 70 propspecting candy they gain damage from it? if so, enutrofs gain an advantage over other classes, and if not then I would guess this wouldn't have an effect either, though I don't have an enutrof to test this.
0 -13
Nerd-Tease|2015-03-31 20:45:54

It gives a benefit to those who use it, it changes nothing for those that don't. they don't have a prospecting or wisdom malus for not using it. You may see it as being forced to use it, and in some ways thats the point, to get more people to use it. However, for those who don't use (either because they can't or choose not to) nothing changes, it doesn't get worse for them. and Ankama isn't forcing people to use it

Regarding the Enutrof's gaining damage from this, I have to admit I did not think about that, but does that mean if an enutrof eats a 70 propspecting candy they gain damage from it? if so, enutrofs gain an advantage over other classes, and if not then I would guess this wouldn't have an effect either, though I don't have an enutrof to test this.

The problem is it gives a permanent advantage to those that use it and thus making it even larger would be a mistake as it becomes a requirement for some people.

Security should be the reason people use it and not to be able to play on equal levels with other people.
4 -1
Score : 2414

not worth my time

3 -1

they do for candy, yes. not for potion or flask though.

0 0
Score : 17645

Whats this authenticator thing exactly?

3 0

its an app for your phone that makes you press a button on the phone when you want to log in to your account

0 -4
Score : 17645
BrainInAJar|2015-03-31 21:11:20
its an app for your phone that makes you press a button on the phone when you want to log in to your account
and in turn no one can use your account without your direct confirmation

in addition you gain minuscule PP/Wis?

I'd do it imo.
2 0

its only annoying if you account hop a lot.

1 -2
Score : 12149

It's actually not that bad. Takes a few seconds... you need it to log into your account on the forums though.

0 -2
Chompers|2015-03-31 20:50:47
Nerd-Tease|2015-03-31 20:45:54

The problem is it gives a permanent advantage to those that use it and thus making it even larger would be a mistake as it becomes a requirement for some people.

Security should be the reason people use it and not to be able to play on equal levels with other people.
While I can appreciate the idealism,that people should use things for their intended purposes, and only for that. Realistically, most people don't see the hassle of 2 factor authentication having a direct benefit (even though it does.)

From a Business standpoint, it makes sense to try and get as much of your player base as possible to use it in order to stop wasting time with issues regarding account theft.

Directly rewarding players for using it is one good option for increasing adoption.

Other options (that aren't as good) that have similar business motive:
  • Restrict players that don't use it (disallow trades, destruction of items, purchases from the cash shop)
  • Force people to use it to play
  • Have in game maluses for not having it active
The only reason I can see for not using two factor authentication is inability to, laziness, or account sharing. the last of these is strictly forbidden by the Terms of Use. Laziness shouldn't trump security (especially when due to the inevitable support ticket, it wastes the support team's time), and inability to would seem rare considering various options for running it, though the fact that some people might still not be able to is a good reason to not penalize those who don't use it.

Making the bonus attractive enough that it increases adoption is important, making the bonus not game breaking is important as well.
If the prospecting and wisdom flasks at 40 each are not game breaking, then +20 of both of these should not be game breaking either, especially when factoring in that wisdom and prospecting cap out at 150 from gear/buffs/challenges combined.
0 -13
Score : 561

The only big issue that I have with the authentication service is what happens to those without it.

If you don't use the authenticator and you get hacked, English Ankama Support will not help you no matter the circumstance.

Just one more reason to actually get the authenticator I suppose...

2 -1
Respond to this thread