FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Did anyone else find the Ogrest OVAs to be confusing?

By Ai-Li-Sha - MEMBER - June 27, 2015, 21:03:42

**Spoiler Alerts**

So, don't kill me if some of my questions' answers are obvious. ^^; I'm a newbie when it comes to Wakfu, since I've only seen the anime and read a little bit of the manga.

That aside, I found the dofus part of the OVAs to be confusing, plus I just have some general questions. ^-^

--1. Whose dofus did Ogrest have? Are they the Council's? Because I thought that the 12 firstborn Eliatropes and Dragons shared dofus, but Yugo also had six dofus in the OVA--and they seemed to be referred to as solely Eliatrope dofus, while the ones Ogrest had only contained Dragons. (Let alone Adamai and Grougal [Baltazar too?] are alive still, so Ogrest's dofus couldn't have been the Council's, right?)

--2. Yugo used the Council's six dofus (seemingly just the Eliatope side..?), but he and Chibi are still alive, plus Qilby, so would those dofus have any power?

--3. So Nox has been around for a LONG time, and his family was killed because of Ogrest. So how come it's only addressed as a problem now? (What the heck, Otomai?! Haha XD )

--4. Also, Ogrest was supposed to be their most powerful opponent yet, right? (Even Rubilax seemed to think so.) But I feel like Yugo and Percedal's battle with him wasn't even NEARLY as intense as the one with Nox or even Qilby. Did Yugo even use ANY of his past experience to fight? Plus he has the power of the other dofus, so...?

--5. Yugo refuses to help Harebourg save Frigost with only TWO dofus, no arguments, but would immediately use SIX dofus to help save Percedal? Why?! I mean, yes, by all means DON'T let him die (again)! But are you so jealous and hateful towards Harebourg that you won't save an entire people?
--But why? Because "some things need to stay the way they are"? What?! What about that village in the desert in Season 2 that you helped with the cursed fountain?! Not to mention against the other members of the BoT's advice/will?
--In the beginning of the OVAs, Yugo is completely against using the dofus, but then is so set on using them that he would go without a second thought on searching for another method?
--Let alone he didn't even offer to help Harebourg find another way with the Frigost dilemma after refusing to use the dofus, intead he immediately became hostile. I find this really strange, because I thought Yugo practically lived to help people and almost never picked fights. Does anyone else think so, or am I just ranting and overanalyzing everything? XD

--Thank you! Hopefully I'm not bothering anyone. ^^; 

2 0
Reactions 24
Score : 585

No, it probably is confusing. That sounds like a lot of shoddy writing and character derailment there. Though, I'll let other people much more knowledgeable about the lore comment further on why.

0 0
Score : 10920

1) I think the Dofus Ogrest had were called Primal or Primordial Dofus, they might have just existed in the World of 12 seperate from the Eliotrope Dofus.

2) As flooding increases from Ogrest crying problem gets worse, I think while some land was lost and it was tragic, maybe it wasn't enough to be of concern back then. Maybe once higher land was threatened the problem became more of a concern.

4) Well, Ogrest wasn't defeaten in battle, so much as merely distracted and it took Percedal becoing the Iop god (though in end he declines the position giving it back to Goultard), and yugo with the 6 Eliotrope Dofus to do that while Otomai when into Ogrest to retrieve the Primordial Dofus from inside Ogrest. Ogrest is pretty strong, just making him cry caused flooding.

5) Well, at first he considered the Dofus like the Eliacube to be too powerful to be used. Then he found out that Harebourg wanted take Sadida kingdom just so he could have supply of fire wood. Though later against Ogrest he changes mind on using the Dofus as Ogrest is so powerful there not much of other way. I don't understand it either.

I think you bring up valid points, but I do think it's just a cartoon and meant to be more entertaining than make sense.

1 0
Score : 552

Ah, that makes much more sense now, about the dofus! Thank you~ ^o^)/

And now I feel bad for not considering Otomai! I guess I got caught up and forgot that he actually needed some time to fix things, haha ^^; I also didn't think of looking at it as a dofus vs dofus battle with Ogrest and Yugo. I definitely respect his decisions a lot more now. :3 (Although I still think the Brotherhood should have at least tried to help the Frigost people--it's not like they were all bad. QnQ )

I guess maybe I overreacted, and even if the characters did act a little different, it is a few years later, and people change.

Hopefully the third season can pull things together. :3 I really want to see what happens with Adamai, and if Armand gets a little too bitter towards his father and Amalia...

I talk too much. ^^;

0 0

I'm always curious myself;

I think Lady Echo will be season 3 antagonist.

What left me wondering in the OVA was... why did Otomai abandon Ogrest and how did Ogrest come across the Primordial Dofus?

I agree, Harebourg's plan to use Sadida kingdom for fire wood wasn't exactly nice, nor was his wanting to abandon the rest of the World of 12, but I agree that they should have found some solution to help Frigost that wouldn't hurt Sadida kingdom.

I hope season 3 has more explanations.

0 0
Score : 3677

1-6: Tot is a bad writer who can't even get characters from own franchise right

ova Harebourg is a travesty so don't try to think too much about neither the two dofus nor the plan, it all makes no sense and destroys prievous characterization

0 0
Score : 5724
Ai-Li-Sha|2015-06-27 21:03:42
**Spoiler Alerts**

So, don't kill me if some of my questions' answers are obvious. ^^; I'm a newbie when it comes to Wakfu, since I've only seen the anime and read a little bit of the manga.

That aside, I found the dofus part of the OVAs to be confusing, plus I just have some general questions. ^-^

--1. Whose dofus did Ogrest have? Are they the Council's? Because I thought that the 12 firstborn Eliatropes and Dragons shared dofus, but Yugo also had six dofus in the OVA--and they seemed to be referred to as solely Eliatrope dofus, while the ones Ogrest had only contained Dragons. (Let alone Adamai and Grougal [Baltazar too?] are alive still, so Ogrest's dofus couldn't have been the Council's, right?)

--2. Yugo used the Council's six dofus (seemingly just the Eliatope side..?), but he and Chibi are still alive, plus Qilby, so would those dofus have any power?

--3. So Nox has been around for a LONG time, and his family was killed because of Ogrest. So how come it's only addressed as a problem now? (What the heck, Otomai?! Haha XD )

--4. Also, Ogrest was supposed to be their most powerful opponent yet, right? (Even Rubilax seemed to think so.) But I feel like Yugo and Percedal's battle with him wasn't even NEARLY as intense as the one with Nox or even Qilby. Did Yugo even use ANY of his past experience to fight? Plus he has the power of the other dofus, so...?

--5. Yugo refuses to help Harebourg save Frigost with only TWO dofus, no arguments, but would immediately use SIX dofus to help save Percedal? Why?! I mean, yes, by all means DON'T let him die (again)! But are you so jealous and hateful towards Harebourg that you won't save an entire people?
--But why? Because "some things need to stay the way they are"? What?! What about that village in the desert in Season 2 that you helped with the cursed fountain?! Not to mention against the other members of the BoT's advice/will?
--In the beginning of the OVAs, Yugo is completely against using the dofus, but then is so set on using them that he would go without a second thought on searching for another method?
--Let alone he didn't even offer to help Harebourg find another way with the Frigost dilemma after refusing to use the dofus, intead he immediately became hostile. I find this really strange, because I thought Yugo practically lived to help people and almost never picked fights. Does anyone else think so, or am I just ranting and overanalyzing everything? XD

--Thank you! Hopefully I'm not bothering anyone. ^^;

This, haha.

I quite agree that these things ought to be questioned- I thought the OVA's were riddled with plot holes and poor writing. Many of these questions really don't have answers and a lot of the established characters were drastically changed for the OVA's, with no explanation. So, short answer for most of those is "it just happened"... unfortunately.

Your notes on Yugo's behaviour in Frigost and his refusal to use the two Dofus (but then later being fine with using all six) are something that irked me straight away too when I saw the OVA's, haha. It was pretty lazy writing, I reckon.
1 -1
Score : 240

Most confusing part was why was Joris so overnerfed he turned into a joke character.

0 0
Katzix|2015-07-14 21:19:29
Most confusing part was why was Joris so overnerfed he turned into a joke character.
I was wondering about that too.
0 0
Score : 240
Aquallia|2015-07-15 02:28:08

He went from "Kicking everyone butt" to "Getting kicked around by everyone". It was so disappointing :C
0 0
Score : 3155

Everything in the OVAs was disappointing tbh.

Only Pinpin and Yugo got to do anything and that was badly written and shoved all other characters out of their way. There's no character development happening for anyone at all, the main characters get their personalities reduced to very few bad traits while achieving god modes/the long awaited count with questionable motives gets remade to a white haired bishie with a creepy attraction to underaged characters/-otherwise very powerful- characters are written so they are overshadowed by how OP the heroes are/the female main characters get reduced to waifu material and then there's ruel that was never meant be more than comic relief in a story that has little to non-existing comedy to speak off. Also the "new" characters (echo) get absolutely no character traits at all, they just read lines from a script someone handed to them.

Basically the villains don't actually have any legitimate motives aside from being RUDE or LOVE RIVALS and the heroes earn absolutely nothing from them, they just get their wives and everyone is happy!

A story of much epic!

To the point of the thread though, Ogrest was confusing and underwhelming primarly cause that long awaited reunion-confrontation with Otomai happened offscreen while it was honestly very important to the character. Otomai regaining Ogrest's trust had to be the tearjerker conclusion to an actual epic not "lol i guess that happened". Involving Yugo and Pinpin (i can't even say the "brotherhood of tofu" cause no-one else is even relevant in the ovas) in the whole ordeal only destroyed years of incredible material and Ogrest's case is sadly only one of the many examples.

Also the hype focused around /players/ in the current MMO timeline being able to fight and defeat Ogrest was kinda murdered as well.

1 -1
Katzix|2015-07-15 08:28:43
Aquallia|2015-07-15 02:28:08

He went from "Kicking everyone butt" to "Getting kicked around by everyone". It was so disappointing :C
I was so concerned with everything else that I completely overlooked Joris. It definitely was disappointing to see him go from little Jojo the dreamer to Master Joris the badass and then...Joris the ragdoll--let alone Kerubin (sp?) who is also awesome (granted he's old, but still). This also brings up A WHOLE NEW SET of questions. I've seen a lot of discussion on how Joris has lived so long, but now Kerubin and Atcham (who no longer wants to kill his furry brother...) too? I feel like I must be missing something. (I sort of hope that I am.)

Neuroid|2015-07-15 20:55:28
Everything in the OVAs was disappointing tbh.

I'm also starting to agree that there was nothing good about the OVAs either... Everyone being practically useless, the girls being useless AND kinda bitchy, the new villains getting nothing, and the main point (Ogrest) being sort of cast aside... I don't think you can fit everything that happened in that short amount of time. If there were explanations and answers to everything addressed here, it probably could have made its own season.

And PLEASE, someone tell me how Joris and Papycha and Atcham are still alive...?
0 -1

Yes, I'm going to agree if they actually tried to, the events in the ovas could have easily made up a whole season of amazing content (save for the Bishiebourg part cause that's irredeemable and needs to get erased from existence altogether).

Also Atcham and Kerubim are demigods, and specifically ecaflip demigods who are said to have many lives (around 7 probably), so it's very likely they died at some point and Joris had to raise them, which is why they're friends now & calling him dad. As for Joris, well, there's speculations he's related to some dragon or dofus, but we're waiting for the upcoming Dofus movie for answers to that.

1 0
Neuroid|2015-07-18 14:06:25
Also Atcham and Kerubim are demigods, and specifically ecaflip demigods who are said to have many lives (around 7 probably), so it's very likely they died at some point and Joris had to raise them, which is why they're friends now & calling him dad. As for Joris, well, there's speculations he's related to some dragon or dofus, but we're waiting for the upcoming Dofus movie for answers to that.
I'm glad you cleared that up for me! I had no idea that they were demigods--I don't know how I could've missed something like that! ^^;

And I really hope the Dofus movie clears up Joris's story as well--there are so many theories, like he's actually an Osamodas or a puppet. I really want to find out~ tongue
0 0

Neither of those theories have much canon base tbh... ok maybe the osamodas threory kindaaaa does appearance-wise, but it's been heavily hinted he has ties with the Ebony dofus instead already so.

We'll see when the movie comes out I guess! c:

0 0
Score : 69

If I had to guess, they want to retire characters and have the setting actually progress.

Pinpin and Eva wanted to settle down after season 2. This is a natural development for them, given Pinpin very nearly died at the end of season 1. Adventures and fighting isn't very fun when it's a matter of life and death for yourself and those you love.

Amalia is a princess and that comes with responsibility. She has to do what's best for her country because that's what she was born to do. It may not be fair to her, but that's part of life. Also forces Yugo into acknowledging that he can't wait around forever, that he's a king without a kingdom, and that he has to grow up some time.

Certain races are underrepresented in the setting. Feca for one. Haven't seen any shield spinning aside from one of Nox's zombies.

They're also setting up for future seasons and story-lines.

1 0

You know if that's what they were intenting to actually do it'd be way more plausible if the OVA's main theme was the break up of the Brotherhood of Tofu. I mean it's a decent explanation, seeing how the plot was going in lengths to push everyone who isn't Pinpin and Yugo out of the way, but it's falls more under disgustingly powering up and catering to the "heroes", while ignoring the potential everyone else has.

It also wasted some p great villains that had no reason to appear at all.

(ps. i think enis are way more underrepresented, cause there's otomai and other feca characters going around in other parts of the media that might appear in the future, but enis? nada)

(tbh im not sure i can call otomai a good example of a feca, least not in the ovas)

1 0
Score : 69
Neuroid|2015-07-25 12:08:07
You know if that's what they were intenting to actually do it'd be way more plausible if the OVA's main theme was the break up of the Brotherhood of Tofu. I mean it's a decent explanation, seeing how the plot was going in lengths to push everyone who isn't Pinpin and Yugo out of the way, but it's falls more under disgustingly powering up and catering to the "heroes", while ignoring the potential everyone else has.
My memory is a bit rusty, but the series has been fairly consistent about things like dragons and other assorted beings as out of the league of most people. Nox spent hundreds of years gathering enough Wakfu, building his weapons, and mastering the cube before he could contend with Grougaloragran.As for theme, retirement is not quite the same as breaking up. It's not like as individuals they can't do their own thing independent of the group. And of course, as characters they have their own story arcs, which naturally have to come to an end before ground is retread and things get repetitive, or the characters begin to lack consistency and do things that are outside of their usual bounds.

You mean the Forgotten Brotherhood? I disagree. The OVAs introduced them, providing an idea of who and what they are, as well as what motivates them. They are not villains, but can serve as antagonists since they have their own ideas about what is best for the world.

(ps. i think enis are way more underrepresented, cause there's otomai and other feca characters going around in other parts of the media that might appear in the future, but enis? nada)

(tbh im not sure i can call otomai a good example of a feca, least not in the ovas)
Otomai is about as much a Feca as Albert is an Entruof.And you what's funny about healers? The dark side to them? Someone has to get hurt before they can do anything. An Enis character serving as medic could have a sadistic bent where they're happy to heal people, only to send them back into the fray so they can get hurt again.Can you really say you're relieving people of their pain and suffering when you're making it so they continue to suffer?

1 0

I have to kinda agree--I mean, around five years has passed, and that's more than enough time for them to have changes in their lives that let them just say "I just don't want to be an adventurer/hero anymore"--and as far as I could tell none of them did any adventuring in the time from Season 2 to the OVAs.... Point being, that would probably been a better way of retiring them or breaking them up, instead of making them look useless and outdated.

Cbredbeard|2015-07-26 01:32:50
You mean the Forgotten Brotherhood? I disagree. The OVAs introduced them, providing an idea of who and what they are, as well as what motivates them. They are not villains, but can serve as antagonists since they have their own ideas about what is best for the world.

Well...while it was nice of them to introduce the characters, it could've been done MUCH better. As far as I'm concerned, there really wasn't any point to them being there because we actually DIDN'T get to know them or get an idea for who they are--we pretty much just got to know their names and faces...we didn't even really get to figure out what exactly their intentions are... :T

Cbredbeard|2015-07-25 07:57:26

Otomai is about as much a Feca as Albert is an Entruof.And you what's funny about healers? The dark side to them? Someone has to get hurt before they can do anything. An Enis character serving as medic could have a sadistic bent where they're happy to heal people, only to send them back into the fray so they can get hurt again.Can you really say you're relieving people of their pain and suffering when you're making it so they continue to suffer?

There was that ONE Eni that was healing Qilby after he was summoned and then fainted. Three seconds of screentime. XD But @Cbredbeard, that is a seriously dark way if looking at that race... :T I mean, I'm no Eni, but I'd still want to help injured people... :X I think maybe they're not included that much in the series because it would make things a bit too easy, having the protagonists constantly healed. On the other hand, having the antagonists healed would cause some pretty interesting and intense battles! *w*

I'm also hoping that all the other races get more representation, though. After seeing Maskemame in the OVA, I have a little bit of hope, haha. Not just for Masqueraiders but also other races that they haven't really been introduced. (Then again, that might've just been a guest appearance.)

(And Otomai is awesome, but I do have to agree that he isn't the definition of what a Feca is, besides being all science-y. ^^; The highlight of the Fecas is their shield, after all... [At least that's the impression I get.] )
1 0

@Cbredbeard, Actually no, I was not talking about the general concept of the Brotherhood of the Forgotten, the sentiment to have the OVAs a set up for season 3 wasn't the thing that went wrong with the "villains" of the ovas, cause yes, that's what they are at this point.

I was refering to the Tormentors being wasted in such a stupid manner. Sylargh not appearing in their place despite being canon, a lot more viable and actually made sense to be there, also a waste. Harebourg himself getting redesigned to a pretty whitehaired bishie so Amalia doesn't feel bad about her forced wedding was downright offensive on top of a waste of potential and pretty much EVERYTHING Harebourg was building up to be for years now in the games. Oh he also stalked her since she was 14? And his masterplan was to burn down a forest to sustain a nation (that canonly doesn't exist/is currently reforming out of immigrants), how can you not see that as villainous, aside from fucking dumb, is beyond me. And of course he gets put out of commission as fast as he appears, which I'm actually not sad about, I hope we never see Tot's version of this character ever again.

Ush is also a villain, no matter what he purrs about Yugo and co being the villains, cause aside from the murders he nearly commited (that are questionably justified) he holds two characters under mindcontrol, one of which has been deemed a dead hero for a very long time. He also goes even worse out of his way than Ovabourg when it comes to attacking the Brotherhood of Tofu but Echo doesn't seem to care about this at all? Meanwhile, Ovabourg gets a nice cosy ice prison, while both of them lured the "heroes" out using the Dofus? So erm... Whatever I guess, I'm not saying they don't have a good reason to do what they're doing, but that reason hasn't honestly been established properly yet and whatever it is, they're still villains and act as such.

Echo is the only one who was introduced that doesn't do anything questionable at all, but she's not even given a personality so I don't have anything to argue about on her.

Also your views of Eniripsas are really lacking, their kit doesn't stop at "token healers", they are spellcasters, they have marks and magical flasks, the ability of flight, they have knowledge of forgotten languages and so on. There's a lot of ways to go with an Eniripsa character without reducing them to a healer or even giving them that role at all. (Echo was confirmed Eniripsa though so we'll see where that boat goes.)

PS. I'm not argueing about season 1 at all here, season 1 was great, Nox was perfect, I don't know why you'd bring him up specifically. Season 2 was questionable, but the OVAs just trash on established canon without caring at all. And about the author not having much to write about Amalia, Eva and Ruel anymore doesn't excuse the shit treatment they got. They're basically reduced to waifus and/or comic relief. (The worst bit is how Amalia actually had the potential of an asspull powerup since the Tree of Life is a thing and it even made more sense than Pinpin being the IOP GOD, but man who cares about female characters if it doesn't involve romance even!)

I don't think the sentiment behind what happened in the OVAs was to retire those three anyway, but they could have been placed on the bookcase with a lot more respect.

2 0
Respond to this thread