FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Pandawas- Barrel Mages, or Martial artists?

By Epicdark - MEMBER - December 03, 2011, 16:13:02

Pandawas only use one martial arts related spell- Triple whammy. It's not the best pandawa spell, either. Shouldnt Pandawas have ALOT more MA Moves then Barrel spells?

It'd be nice if Water used Barrel skills, Fire used barrel as well, and Earth used Some sort of Martial art. Drunken boxing maybe?

1 0
Reactions 12
Score : 3709

Im fairly new to the whole Dofus universe myself; And as a new player, it would appear that almost all of the spells for some classes make ansolutely no sense. I too thought Pandawas were to be more of a martial arts class, with fitting skill styles and uses. But that's not the case at all.

It seems the original game(Dofus) had more of a purpose for the specific classes. In this game everyone just has the same skills, but its done differently with a slightly different application type, with 1 class beating the rest, in usefulness, if it's way of doing a skill is less affected by the game's many bugs, than another's.

Currently playing an earth pandawa (also a Xelor) as it SEEMS more of a "martial arts" type than the other two element trees. Like.. how is splashing an enemy with alcohol appealing for a class? The class and game also has too many draw backs to the player than there are to the enemy entity; Be it a monster or a player. Dizzy state buffs the enemy with +5% dmg with a meesly minus resist for the exact same amount (5%). With monsters and players with empowering effects of their own, why in the hell would it make sense to have a debuff that increases the enemy at the same rate it adds a "beneficial" debuff?

I'm not sure who the designers and or Developers of the game are, but they could perhaps do better; A LOT better. The only remarkable thing, seemingly, in this game, is the animations and art. Other than that, the mechanics make no damn sense.

----Abilities (stats)------

A stat that boosts exp? One that boosts the chance of getting drops? what is this?... Logically (now viewing things logically as opposed to Wakfu's current intent) If youre doing a dungeon or killing monsters, challenges or whathaveyou; The group of friends or people you do it with, are more than likely, willing to give you the gears if they dont need it. Currently myself and a few guildmates pretty much help each other out by handing down any gears we dont need, have duplicates of, or is more benificial to another member's element. Why would you have an entire stat that increases your personal chance of getting an item?

Wisdom? really? These stats give benefits the items you slave to make, should be doing. AND, to top it off, with this arsenal of useless abilities(stats), a new player like myself wouldn't really think they're as useless as they are, and might actually get it to test; Because hey, "Its beta, there will be a way to reset should I fail my 'testing'." Only to learn there is no way to reset. What game doesnt have a reset in AT LEAST its closed beta? How are you to test? I know there are a lot of other logical gamers in here, Its astonishing that they havent added one yet; Especially seeing as this game is at least 1-3 years old, being played else where. Was looking forward to this game for white some time. this is very disappointing.

In short, Bleh.

0 0
Score : 1522
IDCAA|2011-12-05 18:10:57
A stat that boosts exp? One that boosts the chance of getting drops? what is this?... Logically (now viewing things logically as opposed to Wakfu's current intent) If youre doing a dungeon or killing monsters, challenges or whathaveyou; The group of friends or people you do it with, are more than likely, willing to give you the gears if they dont need it. Currently myself and a few guildmates pretty much help each other out by handing down any gears we dont need, have duplicates of, or is more benificial to another member's element. Why would you have an entire stat that increases your personal chance of getting an item?
Clearly not an Enutrof. Come back when you have a prospecting of 250 and tell me it's useless. rolleyes

Anyway, I agree. Pandawa seemed marketed as "drunken master" class, but they just came out "drunken." Which would be fine if it was just one tree.
It's really just a matter of flavor; you could probably keep the same effects and change the names/animations.
It would make more sense for Water to be the one where you drink the most, but Water seems mostly geared towards support skills over all the classes.

I like Pandawa. I like hitting people with a giant barrel of alcohol. It's just so satisfying. But I agree that they kinda skipped half their description.
0 0
Score : 1300

While I've sort of come to terms with how Pandawas are now, and the way they're intended to be played at the moment, I'm still upset with the class in general.

I can see that Ankama altered Pandawas (dramatically, I might add) to become a sort of AOE damage specific class. Main issue here is that AOE matches much more well with Xelors than it does with a Martial Artist. And a drunken one, at that (should the player choose to be drunk).

Every time I see my Panda strike it's battle pose and do its 'bring it on' finer gesture, it saddens me, because right after that comes a barrel from the sky that I must use to splash my enemies instead of fighting them hand-to-hand like martial artists generally do. Then, I'm confined to my barrel unless enemies like to chase a stationary inanimate object instead of the one who's trying to kill them (which will literally never happen). Or, I waste a precious turn picking up and tossing my barrel just to reach my kiting enemy (or one that's just plain out-of-reach). In this case, I'm still as confined to my barrel as before.

Now, I can't speak much for the Earth tree, because I have barely touched it, trying to be a pure 'sober' Pandawa and all. But, I'm sure having to weigh your character down with a barrel filled with liquid must be a pain. Realistically speaking, I'm pretty sure Martial Artists would hate to have anything weigh themselves down in order to fight. Especially something that contains another something that can easily fall out, requiring the fighter to have to take extraordinary care of such something in the middle of combat.

Also realistically speaking, Martial Artist are meant to be mobile, so the barrel mage thing with Pandawas being restricted to being near they're barrel doesn't make any sense, either.

And give them Air back. Seriously. To me, that's just adding insult to injury.

0 0
Score : 1895
Vensaval|2011-12-20 00:53:04
While I've sort of come to terms with how Pandawas are now, and the way they're intended to be played at the moment, I'm still upset with the class in general.

I can see that Ankama altered Pandawas (dramatically, I might add) to become a sort of AOE damage specific class. Main issue here is that AOE matches much more well with Xelors than it does with a Martial Artist. And a drunken one, at that (should the player choose to be drunk).

Every time I see my Panda strike it's battle pose and do its 'bring it on' finer gesture, it saddens me, because right after that comes a barrel from the sky that I must use to splash my enemies instead of fighting them hand-to-hand like martial artists generally do. Then, I'm confined to my barrel unless enemies like to chase a stationary inanimate object instead of the one who's trying to kill them (which will literally never happen). Or, I waste a precious turn picking up and tossing my barrel just to reach my kiting enemy (or one that's just plain out-of-reach). In this case, I'm still as confined to my barrel as before.

Now, I can't speak much for the Earth tree, because I have barely touched it, trying to be a pure 'sober' Pandawa and all. But, I'm sure having to weigh your character down with a barrel filled with liquid must be a pain. Realistically speaking, I'm pretty sure Martial Artists would hate to have anything weigh themselves down in order to fight. Especially something that contains another something that can easily fall out, requiring the fighter to have to take extraordinary care of such something in the middle of combat.

Also realistically speaking, Martial Artist are meant to be mobile, so the barrel mage thing with Pandawas being restricted to being near they're barrel doesn't make any sense, either.

And give them Air back. Seriously. To me, that's just adding insult to injury.
... This is a video game. There are Pandas that are able to fight in this game. There are also old people that are able to fuse with their pet, dragon-like things that are able to summon animals, cats that like to gamble, and guys that use their magic by learning other languages, which apparently no other class can do, just to name a few of the things here that will not make sense.

It doesn't make sense, and it will not make sense.

Don't try to make sense of it.
0 0
Score : 427

... This is a video game. There are Pandas that are able to fight in this game. There are also old people that are able to fuse with their pet, dragon-like things that are able to summon animals, cats that like to gamble, and guys that use their magic by learning other languages, which apparently no other class can do, just to name a few of the things here that will not make sense.

But those things make perfect sense inside the game world. The problem is that Pandas are suppose to be "drunken martial-arts masters". That is their selling point. They actually were more of martial artists until version 3 but this feel got taken out. You can even look at their old fighting style when you view the video on their character page.

Personally, I don't have a problem being a barrel mage if they fix the mechanics. But the point is that the panda's current fighting style doesn't make sense inside the gameworld that Ankama themselves defined.
0 0
Score : 1582

Why did they take out the martial arts moves? Were Pandawa's overpowered?

0 0
Score : 1300
Artifect|2012-01-31 22:19:46

Whether they were or not (I don't think they were, but I wasn't around at the time), I think it was mainly done for the fact that they REALLY wanted to put in a new mechanic they thought sounded cool.
0 0
Score : 1895
Kadoba|2012-01-31 15:58:11

But those things make perfect sense inside the game world. The problem is that Pandas are suppose to be "drunken martial-arts masters". That is their selling point. They actually were more of martial artists until version 3 but this feel got taken out. You can even look at their old fighting style when you view the video on their character page.

Personally, I don't have a problem being a barrel mage if they fix the mechanics. But the point is that the panda's current fighting style doesn't make sense inside the gameworld that Ankama themselves defined.
Ah okay, I thought you were saying that they don't make any sense. If you're saying that they're supposed to be martial artists, but are really losing that feel, then while I agree that they are moving away from the drunken martial artists thing, this whole barrel using Panda can add some really cool play to the game, so I don't think it's bad at all. Even in Dofus they're more like mages really then martial artists, it's just that now their spells revolve around using the barrel.

Vensaval|2012-02-01 00:25:33
Artifect|2012-01-31 22:19:46

Whether they were or not (I don't think they were, but I wasn't around at the time), I think it was mainly done for the fact that they REALLY wanted to put in a new mechanic they thought sounded cool.
They were never overpowered if I recall correctly. They used to be pretty strong with the double axe attack skill in the combat tree in some previous version, but they weren't overpowered with it.
0 0
Score : 2446

I think a hip flask would serve a drunken martial artist better than a large, gallon-sized barrel.

0 0
Score : 1582

I would rather have that flask to fight with, than that fat, awkward barrel we have now. It looks much lighter, and much cooler. You can splash bamboo milk in one hand, and serve up knuckle sandwiches with the other.
0 0
Score : 2446

Small flask > Unsightly barrel.

1 0
Score : 320

Poetic Taoist pandas with a passion for liquor -
I'm kinda digging the "barrel mages" idea

0 0
Respond to this thread