FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Investing in block?

By Heartbank March 25, 2014, 20:25:56

I'm an earth/water tank feca, level 75. I just finished my 100 lock points and started working on block but I noticed with Untouchable alone I get 60 block in a full party, which seems to be any time I actually train. I don't know what kind of end-game gear I should get so I don't know how much block I'd get from it. Obviously I want 100 block and as much lock as I can get (over 700), and I don't plan on PvPing, so should I even bother putting points into the block stat? Should I save it for another stat? Would gear later on get me that extra 40 block?

0 0
Reactions 9
Score : 13933

I wouldn't put points into block.

There is certainly gear that will put you at 100 block. But it's not a guarantee. Every element build has access to various amounts on gear. I'd hate to find myself in a situation where i ended up wasting stats. If you're not concerned with inflicting damage at all i suppose it's an option.

0 0
Score : 636

I'm always in a party with 5 other people and I'm essentially my guild's future tank. The only reason I'd be concerned with damage is for upping my shield hp. I'll keep looking for gear that offers block and I'll respec when I level up some, thanks.

0 0
Score : 210

I'm a Fire (damage) Feca, and I'm maxing block. It's a 24 now.

Why?

Because with my resistances in addition to maxing block, well let's just say- I'm rarely in want of an Eni. I don't think it's overkill for Fire Fecas at all. Maybe for Tanks, since they get defense benefits from their elemental branch. It all depends on what kind of Feca you're making and what its purpose will be.

Since you said you're a tank. I think you'll have less marginal benefit of investing in block than I would. So if you know a better area to spend your points, don't worry about block.

0 0
Score : 617

I do think spending points in block is good, but not at your level.

Here is why:

Normally, and for pretty much every other class, i would consider stating block a bad option. its 9 character points for a 1% chance increase for 30% damage reduction on a single attack. Intuitively (for me at least), it feels like stating str, int, chance and agi for flat resistance increases always would be better then investing points in block if you are determined to use these points to increase your ability to survive.

However there is one point of character development i would believe this changes. Increasing block from 20 to 21%, 40 to 41%, 60 to 61% all may seem somewhat meaningless, just a tiny additional chance for that increased defence.

But from 99 to 100% its different. This last point makes it go from a chance (as good as it may be) to reduce damage, to a flat 30% damage reduction.

This matters because you are a tank, its all about reliability. If you are getting attacked by some monster that is taking 3 turns to kill you (so your healer always heals you on the second), if a unlucky sequence of events (2 unblocked hits) come to pass and you die, your entire group is in trouble.

I find the points of block you are missing to hit 100 as very important because these transform your block from a statistical chance to a flat and reliable damage reduction.

However, how much block to stat for 100 total block is highly dependant on your items. Right now you might need to stat 10 block, but if you get a few upgrades that give you more you are wasting any block above 100 and should restat.
This is why i would advise you to wait till you are higher level and have a more definitive tanking set before stating block (and, when this time comes, completing whatever amount of block you need to reach 100).

0 0

Interesting, and when I went back to look at wakfu elements I noticed there were end-game gear that did give 40 block. Here's a basic item list I put together in five minutes. Is it possible to get this gear anymore?

0 0
Score : 617

Sure there are sets that give block, and if you use one you wont need to stat any of it.

But its arguable if such a set is the best set. For instance, rampart cloak gives no AP, so the set you linked is +2 AP (with 1 stated and 6 base you would have 9). Switch that to a blueberry and you can have 10 AP (10 more lock from AP, plus increased lock from blueberry). But blueberry gives no resistance.

0 0
Score : 13933
YetAnotherNewbie|2014-03-27 04:11:57
But from 99 to 100% its different. This last point makes it go from a chance (as good as it may be) to reduce damage, to a flat 30% damage reduction.

This matters because you are a tank, its all about reliability. If you are getting attacked by some monster that is taking 3 turns to kill you (so your healer always heals you on the second), if a unlucky sequence of events (2 unblocked hits) come to pass and you die, your entire group is in trouble.

I find the points of block you are missing to hit 100 as very important because these transform your block from a statistical chance to a flat and reliable damage reduction.

That's a very good point. The reliability is something a team can plan around and use to their advantage. However, that is an extremely tough thing to balance as gear changes frequently.

I feel that in any situation where you want that reliability you'd simple change gear to make up the difference. Everywhere else you'll use your standard set which could fall anywhere between 60-100 block.
0 0
YetAnotherNewbie|2014-03-27 15:21:28
Sure there are sets that give block, and if you use one you wont need to stat any of it.

But its arguable if such a set is the best set. For instance, rampart cloak gives no AP, so the set you linked is +2 AP (with 1 stated and 6 base you would have 9). Switch that to a blueberry and you can have 10 AP (10 more lock from AP, plus increased lock from blueberry). But blueberry gives no resistance.

Yeah, but I also lose 3 block which would give me 97 in battle. I guess it's something I'll figure out when I actually get to that level, but for now I'm understanding it's best for me not to stat block and to use the points for something else. Hopefully I'll get that free respec soon. biggrin 
0 0
Score : 1749

Don't invest TOO MUCH block!
Right now, 60 block is good for your level. Your set also gives some more. You have the resistances, you have the feca armor, you have the water buffs. At end game, you will also get the Hagen Daz set which gives 19 more block, and it can still be combined to other pieces which will give you even more through your weapon and added equipment. 25-30 block should be it. It kind of also depends from your pet. I'd stick with the Bow Meow, because of the useful health and lock it gives.
DON'T GET THE SYLARGH SET, as you might know it gives dodge.

In my opinion, get around 5-10 points in block, but I wouldn't really try to be a perfectionist and get 100 block.. It's insane. Get 96 or 97, for the chance to not block is minimal and very, VERY rare.

If you use the meteor harmor, you'll then really need more than 100 block. 110 should be it if you have meteors around level 100, but for now, you don't have to worry about it.

0 0
Respond to this thread