FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

So.... Why don't Iops have a sword?

By WhiteCopain February 24, 2012, 07:31:56
Reactions 36
Score : 289

Well in Dofus their skills had sword animations along with their attacks, which I really liked and at first I thought it was weird they didn't bring it to Wakfu. But after time it kind of made sense, where they can attack with their weapon of choice, but they have other means of taking down their opponent, using fists and other spells. When I look at it like this I actually really like it, but that's just me.

Droppin' knowledge.

0 0
Score : 1644
Lionisio|2012-02-26 05:27:54
Well in Dofus their skills had sword animations along with their attacks, which I really liked and at first I thought it was weird they didn't bring it to Wakfu. But after time it kind of made sense, where they can attack with their weapon of choice, but they have other means of taking down their opponent, using fists and other spells. When I look at it like this I actually really like it, but that's just me.

Droppin' knowledge.

True, but think about it this way.

Dofus was 1000 years ago. : ) It seems appropriate to me that Iops have become more primitive in style after surviving such a world catastrophe. The ancient use of swordplay has almost been lost, but traces of it can be seen in some of the current Iop's abilities.

Very appropriate to lore, imo.
0 0
Score : 289
Iife|2012-02-26 12:22:28

Droppin' knowledge.

Dofus was 1000 years ago. : ) It seems appropriate to me that Iops have become more primitive in style after surviving such a world catastrophe. The ancient use of swordplay has almost been lost, but traces of it can be seen in some of the current Iop's abilities.

I didn't know that, which makes a lot more sense. Droppin' knowledge on me :3
0 0
Score : 4480

Well they didn't become more primitive, because the TV show, Wakfu, shows the main Iop wielding a sword as his main weapon. And the cartoon is supposed to take place I think 3 years after the Wakfu MMO timeline.

I wish they would add a sword to skill animations. It's just appropriate. Panda's are the fisticuff/martial-arts masters. Iops should be swinging their weapons.

0 0
Orphiant|2012-02-26 22:09:37
Well they didn't become more primitive, because the TV show, Wakfu, shows the main Iop wielding a sword as his main weapon. And the cartoon is supposed to take place I think 3 years after the Wakfu MMO timeline.

I wish they would add a sword to skill animations. It's just appropriate. Panda's are the fisticuff/martial-arts masters. Iops should be swinging their weapons.

The show's Iop is a Fire Iop, though.

And, like the Fire Iop in-game, there are some sword animations. The game is pretty in line with canon, overall.
0 0
Score : 3440
Iife|2012-02-26 22:30:01

We can't assume that. Grovy has been using Air and Earth attacks as well.
0 0
Score : 553
Iife|2012-02-26 22:30:01
Orphiant|2012-02-26 22:09:37

And, like the Fire Iop in-game, there are some sword animations. The game is pretty in line with canon, overall.
Grovy used all Earth/Wind/Fire elements, including things like a Wind slash with his SWORD.

And there's one attack, that isn't even the Iop swinging a sword, it's fire swords coming out of the ground. It's cool, but not someone holding a sword.

EDIT: Also why would they degrade their fighting style over time? If anything shouldn't years of practice when you have a goal (to fight Ogrest and the Chaos he spreads) only refine their technique with weapons and such?

Also I looked the game's official trailer again today, the chick in that also has a sword...
0 0
Score : 161

There once was a time many years ago in the wakfu beta each class could get spell xp in actual weapon types. And every class had a best type of weapon or even duel wield weapon skill that was especially built for their class.

For whatever reason ankama went away from this a long time ago in beta and never tried to use it again in any form.

0 0
Lodor333|2012-02-27 07:23:59
There once was a time many years ago in the wakfu beta each class could get spell xp in actual weapon types. And every class had a best type of weapon or even duel wield weapon skill that was especially built for their class.

For whatever reason ankama went away from this a long time ago in beta and never tried to use it again in any form.
And instead, the developers blessed us with this re tarded spell exp system.

Thank you Ankama.
0 0
Score : 3013

I too feel the iop should have a sword in hand when they cast spells, much like the cra has a bow.
I mean, the iop's class icon is a sword.

Iv only watched a little of the Wakfu show, but doesnt Grovy's sword have multiple looks when it grows? I can recall at least a red and green mode which I assume is fire and earth.
Why not incorporate that into his spell animations, have his sword look different depending on the element hes casting. He doesnt need a sword for all his animations, a few of them could still be unarmed.

Come to think of it, Doesnt grovy use the sacr's Light speed attack in that one episode where he fights his own sword in the desert? I dont play Iops but I dont think they have that power.

0 0
Score : 3440
XelZeta|2012-02-27 18:53:07
Come to think of it, Doesnt grovy use the sacr's Light speed attack in that one episode where he fights his own sword in the desert? I dont play Iops but I dont think they have that power.

Nah, I think that was just for visual effect.
0 0
Score : 5891
XelZeta|2012-02-27 18:53:07
I too feel the iop should have a sword in hand when they cast spells, much like the cra has a bow.
I mean, the iop's class icon is a sword.

Iv only watched a little of the Wakfu show, but doesnt Grovy's sword have multiple looks when it grows? I can recall at least a red and green mode which I assume is fire and earth.
Why not incorporate that into his spell animations, have his sword look different depending on the element hes casting. He doesnt need a sword for all his animations, a few of them could still be unarmed.

Grovys a special iop hes A shushu guardian.
0 0
Score : 2773
Lodor333|2012-02-27 07:23:59

I remember that, and weapons had skills just for the weapon 
0 0
Score : 530
Iife|2012-02-26 12:22:28

Droppin' knowledge.

Iops forget how to use a sword, but a Eni sure didn't forget how to heal. 1000 years from Dofus, Iops should be able to use mad long range magical Cabal force blader type sht
0 0
Score : 359

So I said screw it and watched the first season of Wakfu. The iop in there didn't use sword special abilities. At all. I actually watched it so don't try and say otherwise. He swung, like you would with a big stick, a sword.

Every. Single. Buttkicking. Was. Done. With. Hands. Feet. Or his Head.

Not talking just cutting something. We can do the same thing by equipping a goultard and using a default weapon attack. No. Every single awsome coordinated move or attack that he did, used his body. Even when transformed, he had no sword! He did the same darn thing.

The most epic thing that he did with a sword was take constant overhead hammer blows from a machine. Ooo..

So I have to change my original thought on this. Iops having a sword to do spells like a cra uses a bow for their spells would be out of character. Not the other way around.

0 0
Score : 320
kuggy|2012-02-29 07:36:33
So I said screw it and watched the first season of Wakfu. The iop in there didn't use sword special abilities. At all. I actually watched it so don't try and say otherwise. He swung, like you would with a big stick, a sword.

Not talking just cutting something. We can do the same thing by equipping a goultard and using a default weapon attack. No. Every single awsome coordinated move or attack that he did, used his body. Even when transformed, he had no sword! He did the same darn thing.

The most epic thing that he did with a sword was take constant overhead hammer blows from a machine. Ooo..

So I have to change my original thought on this. Iops having a sword to do spells like a cra uses a bow for their spells would be out of character. Not the other way around.

+1
0 0
Score : 715
kuggy|2012-02-29 07:36:33

I'm up to date with Wakfu, the series, and Tristepin is my favorite character. ((I hardcore obsess over him, to the most finest detail)).

Any way, Tristepin, in my opinion, is a brawler given a sword of a Shushu that is also a brawler Shushu himself, as stated by his master Goultard. It's a very special weapon to him, and his number one "buddy", yet even its transformed forms are made for beating. It's all the same to a Iop. Give them a sword, a rock, a tree, their fists, their legs, their skulls, and they'll use it all to beat down their opponents. The fact that he uses a sword is mainly because of the sentimental value of it, and that the weapon he was handed actually happened to be a sword. ((Rather a large dagger in size many a time)). Because he uses one does not mean every Iop does...

But I do agree that it seems to be set up that the major weapon in the game that a Iop wields is a sword, rather a very large one. Their character images have swords, the posters depict them with swords, the commercials and trailers give them swords, heck, even in the council of the twelve ((In the show)), the symbol the leader of the Iop''s has beside him, the symbol of the Iops, is a sword. Besides their fists, swords are their next choice in honorable combat.

The fists, the brawling, is fun, and enjoyable to see. But I feel it's a bit of a let down after all the hype with all the Iops running around with over-sized swords of awesome. I certainly hope that the creators will consider how they set up the appearance of the Iop, and how they are in the game currently...
0 0
Respond to this thread