FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

So.... Why don't Iops have a sword?

By WhiteCopain February 24, 2012, 07:31:56

So this has been bugging me since I first started Closed Beta.. Why exactly don't Iop's have a sword?

All their concept art says they should, including Dofus art (I haven't played it but it seems to indicate they use one in game too), Goultard had one, Pinpin had one (al be it not a normal one, but he had one), hell even the in game art used for them indicates that they use a sword.

So why don't they have one?

0 0
Reactions 36
Score : 359

Because way too many players would have a life threatening seizure if they equipped a bow, but had a sword graphic instead. It be like doing blunt damage using a fireball. A stupid monkey would call it ***ed.

0 0
Score : 553
kuggy|2012-02-24 07:37:29
Because way too many players would have a life threatening seizure if they equipped a bow, but had a sword graphic instead. It be like doing blunt damage using a fireball. A stupid monkey would call it ***ed.
Cra's can use Sword weapons and such, then put it away for their bow...
0 0
WhiteCopain|2012-02-24 07:43:44
kuggy|2012-02-24 07:37:29
Cra's can use Sword weapons and such, then put it away for their bow...

...and iops do have some skill animations that use a sword. But that only fits with certain skills. Air uses fists and feet so no sword. Earth uses fists, feet, and rocks so no sword.
0 0

They were designed around no sword. If they had one they would have had spells designed around the sword. My question is why they didn't get one when everything says they should.

0 0
WhiteCopain|2012-02-24 08:45:53
They were designed around no sword. If they had one they would have had spells designed around the sword. My question is why they didn't get one when everything says they should.

They got a sword for some fire skills. It follows the concept/element of the anima/manga which is pretty much a fire iop. So let me ask you this! Why does air and earth need a sword?
0 0
Score : 4826

...Celestial Sword?

0 0
SupersunZeratul|2012-02-24 09:21:11
...Celestial Sword?

kuggy|2012-02-24 09:09:47

They got a sword for some fire skills. It follows the concept/element of the anima/manga which is pretty much a fire iop. So let me ask you this! Why does air and earth need a sword?

I mean a Sword as their weapon. Cra's have a bow. Cras Fight with their bow. Cras aren't archers who fight with their bare hands. When Iops cast a spell they pull out their sword, they fight with their sword. I'm asking why the Iconic Iop weapon, the weapon they're always drawn with and shown in the anime with does not exist as their weapon and they instead fight with their fist.

They are drawn with a sword
They don't fight with a sword
They fight with fist

how are you not getting this? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Look at what you're typing with, that's called your hand. Now ball it up, that's a fist. Doesn't that happen to look like what the Iop fights with in game?

WEIRD HOW THAT LOOKS LIKE A FIST HUH.

Now allow me to show you what the OFFICIAL IOP CONCEPT ART shows him with
Click here

That thing in his hand is called a sword. Now why was he designed to fight without the sword. Why does he have a skill like Flurry where he uses his fist instead of something like Wind slash or 100 Thrust.

Think for a moment.

EDIT: Allow me to give you a reference to help you more

Click here
Click here

These pages have nice long explanations to help you understand what a sword is. And what that thing attached to your arm is.

If you're honestly saying that there's nothing wrong here you're honestly saying batman could wear a dog outfit and that'd be fine, because who cares what his ICONIC CHARACTERISTIC IS
1 0
Score : 1716

An Iops Iconic characteristic isn't his sword, but rather how unintelligent he/she is.

0 -1
Score : 4826

Well, while a few Iops from the show have swords, not all Iops have them and I would say the majority of them, especially when you look at all the minor ones in the show that pop up from time to time, don't carry swords.

All Cra's on the other hand pretty much have bows of some form.

0 0
Score : 2005

What's stopping them from equipping a sword and using it? Am I missing something here? Is the animation simply not there while they have a sword equipped? If so, that'll likely be fixed.

0 0
Score : 320
Jinouga|2012-02-24 10:10:09
An Iops Iconic characteristic isn't his sword, but rather how unintelligent he/she is.

This.

If you're implying the Iops spell animations should portray them with a sword,
I'm thinking that'd be fairly lame. You can chalk up a cra using a bow with their
spells by saying they summon an ethereal sort of weapon. It's make sense that
way because it IS a spell.

An Iop earns their weapon, or am I mistaken for thinking I read that in a bit of
lore from my Dofus days?

Personally, the way they designed all the characters suit me fine.
It'd be boring to just come equipped with a weapon right from the get go,
and the brawler-esque styling of Iops gets me excited in inappropriate ways.

Imho it fits and allows leniency in the character you, the player, wants to make.
Not every Iop wants to deal with swinging a sword around. I'm sure there are
a great deal of them who lack mobility that would marry their bow before ever
turning their gaze to a blade.

Though I'm not one of them,
this thread is bananas.
0 0
WhiteCopain|2012-02-24 09:31:38
SupersunZeratul|2012-02-24 09:21:11
...Celestial Sword?

kuggy|2012-02-24 09:09:47

I mean a Sword as their weapon. Cra's have a bow. Cras Fight with their bow. Cras aren't archers who fight with their bare hands. When Iops cast a spell they pull out their sword, they fight with their sword. I'm asking why the Iconic Iop weapon, the weapon they're always drawn with and shown in the anime with does not exist as their weapon and they instead fight with their fist.

They are drawn with a sword
They don't fight with a sword
They fight with fist

how are you not getting this? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Look at what you're typing with, that's called your hand. Now ball it up, that's a fist. Doesn't that happen to look like what the Iop fights with in game?

WEIRD HOW THAT LOOKS LIKE A FIST HUH.

Now allow me to show you what the OFFICIAL IOP CONCEPT ART shows him with
Click here

That thing in his hand is called a sword. Now why was he designed to fight without the sword. Why does he have a skill like Flurry where he uses his fist instead of something like Wind slash or 100 Thrust.

Think for a moment.

EDIT: Allow me to give you a reference to help you more

Click here
Click here

These pages have nice long explanations to help you understand what a sword is. And what that thing attached to your arm is.

If you're honestly saying that there's nothing wrong here you're honestly saying batman could wear a dog outfit and that'd be fine, because who cares what his ICONIC CHARACTERISTIC IS

I know what a fist is you dumb monkey! Also Iconic is fire iop. FIRE you fool! They have a sword animation in some skills! FIRE.

Batman is about a bat. A BAT. There is no different batman. There is different types of iops. Go roleplay in some hot topic on AOL!
0 0
kuggy|2012-02-24 18:49:42

I know what a fist is you dumb monkey! Also Iconic is fire iop. FIRE you fool! They have a sword animation in some skills! FIRE.

Batman is about a bat. A BAT. There is no different batman. There is different types of iops. Go roleplay in some hot topic on AOL!
In some skills? It's one skill, and that isn't them wielding a sword, that's them summoning one for a second. I'm talking about them actually using one.
0 0
Score : 1716
WhiteCopain|2012-02-24 20:43:48

In some skills? It's one skill, and that isn't them wielding a sword, that's them summoning one for a second. I'm talking about them actually using one.
If you want to use a sword so badly go forge your own & use it, after release of course. Or you could go play Dofus.
0 0
Score : 4181

ok ok ok...

YES Iops have been portrayed to look as though they use swords and they don't have sword based attacks in their skills unless you equip a sword and attack with it.

The REASONING behind this?

They just don't...laugh

Technically Iops' are "Warriors" not "Swordsmen"...

I know it's a little weird that such prominent Iops use swords and the In-Game version kinda doesn't.

Hope you find closure! tongue
0 0
Score : 2102

Each class actually has a weapon type that is supposed to be their preferred item. Like Xelor uses hands, Iop uses swords.

I believe in Dofus there were benefits associated with using the right weapon type.

Currently that isn't the case in Wakfu but who knows they might change that on release or soon after.

0 0
Wareen-Peace|2012-02-24 21:16:16

ok ok ok...

YES Iops have been portrayed to look as though they use swords and they don't have sword based attacks in their skills unless you equip a sword and attack with it.

The REASONING behind this?

They just don't...laugh

Technically Iops' are "Warriors" not "Swordsmen"...

I know it's a little weird that such prominent Iops use swords and the In-Game version kinda doesn't.

Hope you find closure! tongue

Personally I figure it was done because of the amount of effort needed. Like take cra for instance. They use the same bow animations for most of their attacks, but the particles and effects on the arrow and when it strikes is what draws attention. Most focus on where the arrow hits, not where it comes from in regards to a cra. Makes it easier to make bow spells look interesting.

But 15 attack skills is what the iop boasts. To animate a unique sword swing, effect on the sword itself, particles of the attack and the aftereffect, and impact on the target would be tons of effort and would cause others to cry out for as much detail as well. Iops melee punches are somewhat different but they are not really that flashy when it comes to air. Its simple animations and impacts. But the attention is always on that congested melee area.

I think they didn't want to deal with the trouble, and I agree, they didn't need to.
0 0

They wouldn't have to create any more frames than they would with fist for the personal person since it could be done with particles... But I suppose I can understand the lazy excuse as to why they made him with fist, since they would need to spend more on the individual frames making the sword.

And to the people saying if someone wants a sword they should Forge one, it wouldn't change the fact that he'd just put it up and not use it tongue. If I gave my Cra a sword he'd still be an archer, just as the Iop is (apparently) a fist fighter even if he has a sword.

I just don't understand why they advertised them with them if they didn't want them to use one..

0 0
Score : 1644

Oi, the level maturity on these forums... rolleyes

Iops don't have a sword animation glued to every ability because swords do not define their class.

Cras are defined by their range, so a bow animation on their spells is natural. What else would there be? A Cra chucking spiky pineapples from a distance? (Actually that would be kind of cool...)

Iops are defined by their melee range kit. When you're in melee, many options appear natural. Both fists and swords are plausible, natural ways of expressing a melee-focused class. And...coincidentally, Iops have a mixture of sword and fist animations. Hope that helps.

The closest you will get to a 24/7 sword-wielding knight is to play a Feca, and use Fecablades armor. You'll be slicing and dicing with a giant green sword in rapid succession each turn. It looks pretty darn cool, too.

1 0
Respond to this thread