FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

A Beginner’s Guide For All Iops!

By LeunKiithsaHunter February 09, 2012, 01:18:43

Iop's Heart: Easy to play, not hard to master, but somewhat underpowered (some people mistake this term for broken, which an Iop is not).

Iop is the warrior class, and for most individuals this is an obvious concept to pick up on. The class can be a straight up DPS, or a quasi-off-tank if the player so chooses, and by no means are they weak in those respects, but in order to tank the player must take certain specialties and abilities in order to succeed, or at the very least not feel overwhelmed.

Let’s go over what spells every IOP should get, and shouldn’t get depending on their elemental type if they wish to optimize, and which spells are always in their rotation.

SPELLS FOR EVERY IOP!

Fire: Thunderbolt, Celestial Sword, Super Iop Punch, Gutting Gust, and Uppercut. Thunderbolt and Celestial are the priority spells for a fire Iop, and should always would be used to damage or net a kill, while Super Iop Punch is merely there for utility. Gutting Gust and Uppercut are meant to be weaved in to soften a target up. A player may wish to consider opening their earth spells to Charge for some extra utility.

Earth: Shaker, Impact, Charge, Jab, Gutting Gust, and Uppercut. Impact is an arguable spell, but I’ve found myself to be successful when using an earth Iop, and making Impact a priority spell to use. Obviously Shaker, Jab, Gutting Gust, and Uppercut are a part of the melee rotation, but make sure Shaker is the killing blow always because the air spells are merely there to weaken the opponent. Once again an individual may wish to consider opening up their fire spells up to Super Iop Punch for more utility.

Air: Jab, Gutting Gust, Upper Cut, and Super Iop Punch. Air is perhaps the most forward of all the trees, and least reliant of the other spells to succeed, but that does not mean an individual should forgo Super Iop Punch or Charge for utility, and to do so will harm them in the long run. Jab is the main stay spell for air Iops, and an air Iop is silly not to use jab.

All Elements: Intimidation is a nice spell for pushing both players and mobs around. A MUST for the everyday Iop who likes F'U buttons, and getting team mates out of locks or themselves.

Now this is where things may or may not become tricky. Depending on the type of Iop the individual may wish to play will depend on their specialty allocation.

SPECIALTIES FOR EVERY IOP!

Tanks!

1st-Virility 20/20: Is pretty much a duh for any Iop type due to having no armor mitigation in the game, and the more hp an Iop has the longer he lives, and every Iop will be acquiring this. The only difference is when in the leveling scheme depending on play style.

2nd-Compulsion 20/20: Is a base damage increase, and every Iop will be acquiring this. The only difference is when in the leveling scheme depending on play style.

3rd-Expert Locker 20/20: Iops have the worst map manipulation for a melee oriented class, and because of this FACT any Iop who hopes to keep players and mobs next to them needs to invest into this specialty.

4th-DefensiveStance 9/9: 2 Ap and a 40% chance too avoid an attack makes this a must for any tank Iop.

5th-Jump 9/9: If an Iop is gonna stay in range and force targets to focus him then he’ll need a form of map manipulation that ignores LOS—line of sight—and that is why EVERY Iop should acquire this specialty and max Jump out, and this gives a damage buff that does stack with authority and compulsion.

6th-Bravery Standard 9/9: A must for group play and party members will appreciate the 60% boost to their damage, while giving the tank Iop a 20% resist.

MAYBES!

Authority: An air Iop should max this ability last, and depending on the fire or earth iop they might want to consider this by mid to late game when AP gear becomes available.

Show off: This specialty depends on a group. An individual should not invest into this specialty if he is not going to party exclusively. Does not stack with authority.

DO NOTS!

Increase: No!!! Uses 1 WP and at 9/9 points Increase only gives the Iop a 25% damage boost, and only lasts 1 turn. This specialty should not even exist, and a player should treat this specialty as such.

FLAVOR!

Flatten: This is a fluff move for any Iop. At 9/9 Flatten is 4 ap and 5 range, so a player may wish to incorporate the spell. The only reason I advise against this specialty is because Flatten has a chance to stun the individual as well. If a player takes Flatten to 9/9 replace this Specialty with Jump in the leveling scheme. Just remember the Iop is forgoing the damage buff from teleport when he does this.

DPS!

1st-Compulsion 20/20: Is a base damage increase, and every Iop will be acquiring this. The only difference is when in the leveling scheme depending on play style.

2nd-Virility 20/20: Is pretty much a duh for any Iop type due to having no armor mitigation in the game, and the more hp an Iop has the longer he lives, and every Iop will be acquiring this. The only difference is when in the leveling scheme depending on play style.

3rd-Expert Locker 20/20: Iops have the worst map manipulation for a melee oriented class, and because of this FACT any Iop who hopes to keep players and mobs next to them needs to invest into this specialty.

4th-Authority 20/20: Every DPS Iop needs this. Air Iops may wish to swap Virility for Authority early on, but no Iop who is focusing on the deeps should forgo a stacking damage buff with the combo of spells in mid to late game due to AP gear.

5th-Jump 9/9: If an Iop is gonna stay in range then he’ll need a form of map manipulation that ignores LOS—line of sight—and that is why EVERY Iop should acquire this specialty and max Jump out, and this gives a damage buff that does stack with authority and compulsion.

MAYBES!

Defensive Stance: Anyone who wishes to pvp may want to invest in this specialty, but save Defensive Stance for last.

Show off: This specialty depends on a group. An individual should not invest into this specialty if he is not going to party exclusively. Does not stack with authority.

DO NOTS!

Bravery Standard: Forget about this specialty because a DPS Iop is there for the DPS not support.

Increase: No!!! Uses 1 WP and at 9/9 points Increase only gives the Iop a 25% damage boost, and only lasts 1 turn. This specialty should not even exist, and a player should treat this specialty as such.

FLAVOR!

Flatten: This is a fluff move for any Iop. At 9/9 Flatten is 4 ap and 5 range, so a player may wish to incorporate the spell. The only reason I advise against this specialty is because Flatten has a chance to stun the individual as well. If a player takes Flatten to 9/9 replace this Specialty with Jump in the leveling scheme. Just remember the Iop is forgoing the damage buff from Jump when he does this.

ABILITIES!

This is laughably easy because all an Iop is going to invest their points into is HP and their elemental type.

For the first 20 levels an Iop will focus on getting their HP to 100, and then flip to a 2:1 ratio with regards to their Element too Hp, so in laymen terms the player will put 4 points every level into their elemental type attribute and 1 into HP, or if the player wants to play the game from certainty just forgo placing any points into an element attribute, and just stack HP all the way-everyday.

Safe or Tank = Stack nothing but HP, but virility picks up the pace and Iops can without a doubt pull not stacking HP.

Dmg = 2:1 ratio after getting HP to 100.

THE END!

This was brought to you by Derp-Da-Herp builds, the everyday dumb man’s guide, and sponsored by you’re an idiot for not min/maxing.

EDIT!

Go forth and poon in my name doods!

[Subject to change at release, all data provided is based on open beta as of 02/08/2012. This guide is to help player's who are struggling with the Iop, or are new to this whole wide world of Wakfu.] 

1 0
Reactions 28
Score : 1052

Stopped reading at "underpowered." You also suggested a tank spec with Bravery Standard? What...

0 0
Score : 1809
youLuz|2012-02-09 02:03:08
Stopped reading at "underpowered." You also suggested a tank spec with Bravery Standard? What...
Thanks for the free bump.
0 0
Score : 359

So whatcha gonna do when you wanna stay in melee range and on certain bosses taking 300-500 dmg, a hit? Not like all bosses have a single square for a hitbox. The reason many stack hp is because +hp on gear is horrible when compared to the scale that crit/elemental dmg has. HP scales better than the rest with points. Damage scales so much better than hp on gear. You gotta be up there taking loads of damage in order to return more damage. When you have to gear up on high hp items with little to no crit/elemental damage to survive a tough boss fight.. maybe you can derp herp the theorycraft.

One last thing. The stuff you see in OB. The unlocked content. Thats newbie ***. All of it cept the island bosses.

0 0
kuggy|2012-02-09 02:14:05
So whatcha gonna do when you wanna stay in melee range and on certain bosses taking 300-500 dmg, a hit? Not like all bosses have a single square for a hitbox. The reason many stack hp is because +hp on gear is horrible when compared to the scale that crit/elemental dmg has. HP scales better than the rest with points. Damage scales so much better than hp on gear. You gotta be up there taking loads of damage in order to return more damage. When you have to gear up on high hp items with little to no crit/elemental damage to survive a tough boss fight.. maybe you can derp herp the theorycraft.

One last thing. The stuff you see in OB. The unlocked content. Thats newbie ***. All of it cept the island bosses.
This is English?
0 0
LeunKiithsaHunter|2012-02-09 02:23:45

This is English?

So can I take that answer as an attempt to sidestep the productivity of your guide? Are you one of those players that joined the forums in 2011 and never played the game until Open Beta?
0 0
kuggy|2012-02-09 02:27:49

This is English?

So can I take that answer as an attempt to sidestep the productivity of your guide? Are you one of those players that joined the forums in 2011 and never played the game until Open Beta?

Dude I don't even understand your GD post. Come back to me when you've learned the English language, and can actually debate, argue, and discuss your points in a logical and understandable manner.

All I read was the following: Waaaa-u-suck-for-not-stacking-hp-all-the-time-bro.

Totally trumped my entire guide dood.
0 0
LeunKiithsaHunter|2012-02-09 02:31:26
kuggy|2012-02-09 02:27:49

This is English?

Dude I don't even understand your GD post. Come back to me when you've learned the English language, and can actually debate, argue, and discuss your points in a logical and understandable manner.

All I read was the following: Waaaa-u-suck-for-not-stacking-hp-all-the-time-bro.

Totally trumped my entire guide dood.

It would be impossible to debate with you over the merits of stacking HP if you lack the knowledge needed. Which, might I add, is why you're deflecting with provocations. I don't have time to teach you, not should I need to, since you're the one who wrote a guide for min/maxing. Which is quite frankly insultive given the scope that you have.

Get back in the game and apply your math once more by using the allocation of stats on gear in terms of point investment in stats. If you have any sense, at all, you will understand. You can come back with any insult you wish but it changes not a damn thing about this guide's goal. Which at this point is about messing up people's builds.
0 0

Bro you're an idiot. Learn to read sarcasm when you see it moron. If you have nothing to contribute in a healthy manner keep your fcking mouth shut because lasted I checked you aren't trying to help the GD community are you, or even give them options. I just see an elitist ass.

You're arguments are non existent. I insult you because you are a GD moron, and because your posts are condescending as shyt, and not stacking HP is very viable for any IOP because you aren't suppose to solo boss mobs to begin with.

My guide in no way pigeon holes a player into anyone thing, and elaborates on their options, so let's see some points were I intentionally weaken a player?

Compulsion? Virility? Expert Locker? Jump? Defensive Stance? Bravery Standard?

The only thing you've faulted me on is HP stacking.

No shyt players are gonna take more damage the higher they level. A 2:1 ratio + virility is not going to leave the IOP with no hp.

0 0

Actually I am helping. I want people to see that this guide is incorrect in it's goals. Unless of course you are intentional on messing people up. My first reply did not have any real insults but you went straight to your own when you quoted me.

Again. As I said. Compare itemization allocations against how many points gets you X hp, or X elemental damage, and compare how they scale.

Finally I would appreciate it if you actually used the skills you review in the game itself. How you view the support skill "increase" is somewhat difficult to stomach. You do know that Increase, like Aerial, follows a different equation towards your damage than that of elemental affinity increases yes?

0 0
kuggy|2012-02-09 03:18:17
Actually I am helping. I want people to see that this guide is incorrect in it's goals. Unless of course you are intentional on messing people up. My first reply did not have any real insults but you went straight to your own when you quoted me.

Again. As I said. Compare itemization allocations against how many points gets you X hp, or X elemental damage, and compare how they scale.

Finally I would appreciate it if you actually used the skills you review in the game itself. How you view the support skill "increase" is somewhat difficult to stomach. You do know that Increase, like Aerial, follows a different equation towards your damage than that of elemental affinity increases yes?
Then write up your own guide bro. Why would I waste wakfu on 25% increase to damage that takes away from jump and uppercut? 9 points for a base 25% increase to damage is bad ratio when that buff lasts 1 turn, costs a wakfu, and require 9 levels (not 9 points) in order to optimize on the specialty.

What I see is someone trying to intentionally weaken the player base.You don't support any of your arguments with anything other than the following: I'm right, you're wrong.
0 0

Jump and Increase both jump from 5 points per level to 10 after 3. Then 15 points to get level 6 and so forth. It isnt 9 levels to get 9 ranks on those skills. This is why I mentioned in my first reply the issues with your guide. You got defensive and I am now being blunt.

Also it isnt 25% increase to the base. Again.. you are the one who wrote a guide that in pure theory. Made by sliding a little square to the right in the UI. Also the one who got aggressive over someone merely trying to let you know that you may be wrong. Which you are. Wrong by facts and not by mere opinions.

Why don't you make sure you note that Defensive Stance can only proc once? That the more attacks you recieve in any given round after you activate it also greatly diminishes the potential gain?

_

0 0
Score : 4480
youLuz|2012-02-09 02:03:08
Stopped reading at "underpowered."
0 0
kuggy|2012-02-09 05:07:34
Jump and Increase both jump from 5 points per level to 10 after 3. Then 15 points to get level 6 and so forth. It isnt 9 levels to get 9 ranks on those skills. This is why I mentioned in my first reply the issues with your guide. You got defensive and I am now being blunt.

Also it isnt 25% increase to the base. Again.. you are the one who wrote a guide that in pure theory. Made by sliding a little square to the right in the UI. Also the one who got aggressive over someone merely trying to let you know that you may be wrong. Which you are. Wrong by facts and not by mere opinions.

Why don't you make sure you note that Defensive Stance can only proc once? That the more attacks you recieve in any given round after you activate it also greatly diminishes the potential gain?

_

Oh now you want to argue these points. It took how many posts for you to start finally contributing to reasons as to why a person may or may not want to invest into a specialty?

Defensive Stance can always be used at the end of an ap cycle, thus the tank like IOP expends enough AP before using DS, and the next round CAN negate an attack of any amount. Zero damage is zero damage. This is called play style.

Jump provides a mobility, damage buff, sight unseen, and back placement; which far exceeds any use increase may give. Increase is a 25% base damage buff. It takes the current percentage of elemental damage and increases it by 25%.

Increase is worthless. I have used it, just like flurry, and it is in fact a BASE increase. It sums the numbers together. So if an air iop has 60% air damage it now becomes 70%. Just like with increase.

No you didn't let me know I was wrong, you are telling me I am wrong, and being a snarky prick about it. There is a big difference. Stop trying to play innocent.

So the only thing I've been corrected on is an issue of not leveling up Jump and Increase to see their point allotment scales. Christ the IOP is worse for wary then I originally had known. This is called a correction or advisement, and contributes to the over-all guide. I also find you to be full of shyt as their are no damage meters to find out these formulas.

By your assertion avoiding 500 damage makes an ability worthless? Once again play style, and if their is a hidden formula for how Increase and Aerial works then why is it hidden, and why does the character sheet lie to the player?

Lastly, read the whole fcking guide. Just because you don't like my guide doesn't make it wrong, weak, or worthless.If you've tested for so long then man the f'ck up since you care so much about the community, and make them a guide because all I've seen in these forums is the following: Need help. Mr. Know-it-all.

And if this is the formula for increase then that makes the ability all the much worthless.

Increase = .25 * damage done without increase

Increase = .25 * 12

Increase = 3

Increase = 15 total damage done

Like I stated, 1 wakfu, last 1 turn, and only a 25% damage increase makes this specialty WORTHLESS. Better to spend this on uppercut and jump. Any DPS IOP would be a fool to take this over authority.

Air Iop who uses Increase and Uppercut: Jab hits for: 12, Gutting Gust hits for 10, Uppercut hits for 10. Now apply the increase formula to all the damage done.

Jab now hits for: 15, Gutting Gust hits for 12, Uppercut hits for 12.

This chain can only be accomplished 3 times because the IOP is spending 2 wakfu a turn for increase and uppercut.

3(15*3+12*2)
3(45+24)
3(69)
207 damage

Now lets compare the Air IOP who doesn't use increase.

Jab hits for: 12, Gutting Gust hits for 10, Uppercut hits for 10.
This chain can be accomplished 6 times due to uppercut costing 1 wakfu.
6(12*3+10*2)
6(36+20)
6(56)
336 damage

336-207= 129 more damage

Now lest compare the Air Iop who doesn't use Uppercut and only increase.

6(15*3+12)
6(45+12)
6(57)

342 - 336 = 6 damage difference

So unless there is some crazy quadratic formula going on increase is a waste of points both wakfu and specialty.
0 0
Score : 289

I think in order for this to be a full guide you're gonna need to include gear options for builds. The information given tells people what skills and specialties to get and such but they're gonna need to know what gear to get and at what levels. Like for the Earth section, I don't know if I can agree on your skill rotation. If Earth Iop's only do Shaker, Jab, Gutting Gust, Uppercut, that's pretty weak compared to the other elements. The Earth build is pretty reliant on AP gear, total of 8 AP to be exact, in order to do 2 Shakers, Gutting Gust, Uppercut; that's when Earth does decent damage.

0 0
Lionisio|2012-02-09 05:59:42
I think in order for this to be a full guide you're gonna need to include gear options for builds. The information given tells people what skills and specialties to get and such but they're gonna need to know what gear to get and at what levels. Like for the Earth section, I don't know if I can agree on your skill rotation. If Earth Iop's only do Shaker, Jab, Gutting Gust, Uppercut, that's pretty weak compared to the other elements. The Earth build is pretty reliant on AP gear, total of 8 AP to be exact, in order to do 2 Shakers, Gutting Gust, Uppercut; that's when Earth does decent damage.
Agreed, but until then they would exclude some damage by leaving out jab, and I can't give a guide on gear as I've never been around end game.

Then I would be setting people up for failure. This is guide to help the starter who doesn't have a damn clue where they should be allocating their points.
0 0
Score : 925

I disagree with getting even 1 level of Defensive Stance. Even if this skill was 100% to cancel a melee it is still worthless. In this game its just better to get HP and soak damage and deal as much damage as you can even as a tank.

0 0
n0odle|2012-02-09 07:06:02
I disagree with getting even 1 level of Defensive Stance. Even if this skill was 100% to cancel a melee it is still worthless. In this game its just better to get HP and soak damage and deal as much damage as you can even as a tank.

That's an option, and I have to agree as I don't think a tank IOP is as strong as a Fire Sac or Earth Feca, but this is an option, and play-style.

But I do have to disagree that DS isn't worth it. A 40% chance to dodge an alpha strike is alot. Dodging a punishment, or someone running and gunning is a perfectly viable and wise decision.

Charge + Defensive stance = A 40% chance not to get hit while moving to catch up. A Sacrier with a bow and light speed will whittle the IOP down for 6 turns having never been touched.

Iops have a nasty little weakness of being kite-able.

Then again this is a tank spec, and if a player wants to do damage why not go the DPS spec?
0 0
Score : 289
LeunKiithsaHunter|2012-02-09 06:31:00
Agreed, but until then they would exclude some damage by leaving out jab, and I can't give a guide on gear as I've never been around end game.

Then I would be setting people up for failure. This is guide to help the starter who doesn't have a damn clue where they should be allocating their points.
If that's your goal then I think you might want to label this as an Introduction rather then a guide. Which isn't a bad thing in all honesty, 'cause sometimes new people really need just an introduction rather then a full on guide to get a general idea of the class. But if your goal is to not set people up for failure you're gonna have to lead them into mid to late game otherwise they'll be stuck in a position that could possibly stop their progression and force them to start over. Only reason I stress this is because Earth Iop is kind of a slow bloomer compared to Fire and more so Air, they have to be a little under par for the first 30-40 levels till they get 8 AP and then start doing possibly more damage then the others. But getting 8 AP isn't really that late game, you can get this at level 40 and it's not too difficult to acquire.
0 0
Lionisio|2012-02-09 07:52:15
LeunKiithsaHunter|2012-02-09 06:31:00

If that's your goal then I think you might want to label this as an Introduction rather then a guide. Which isn't a bad thing in all honesty, 'cause sometimes new people really need just an introduction rather then a full on guide to get a general idea of the class. But if your goal is to not set people up for failure you're gonna have to lead them into mid to late game otherwise they'll be stuck in a position that could possibly stop their progression and force them to start over. Only reason I stress this is because Earth Iop is kind of a slow bloomer compared to Fire and more so Air, they have to be a little under par for the first 30-40 levels till they get 8 AP and then start doing possibly more damage then the others. But getting 8 AP isn't really that late game, you can get this at level 40 and it's not too difficult to acquire.
Noted and revised, and I would think the individual pretty dumb not to realize 8 AP allows them to due 2 Shakers. Ap gear is a must for all IOPS since we are now forced into a base damage only role.

Criticals no longer apply to the class. So the more damage the Iop does the better, and attacking more often is the way to go.
0 0
Respond to this thread