FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Compulsion VS Authority

By T3tra- January 29, 2012, 09:59:09

Hello everyone, I just started Wakfu yesterday and am enjoying it quite thoroughly, but I have a question about a couple Iop passive specialties.

At the moment I'm an air Iop and I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to take either Compulsion or Authority. Allow me to break down my understanding of the two abilities.

Compulsion: 5 points per level, 2% damage increase per level up to a max of 40% passive damage increase all the time.

Authority: 5 points per level, 2% chance to turn target toward you and "Power" which buffs your damages. At max, you have a 45% chance of doing 20% more damage while "(10%) is applauded." Whatever that means.

It's also my understanding that air damage gets a bonus from attacking from the sides and back, which seems like would be wasted if you went for authority imo.

What's the point of taking Authority at all unless you've already maxed out Compulsion? For the same amount of points you're doing twice the damage ALL the time. I assume I must be missing something... perhaps the "(10%) is applauded" part of Authority is what makes it good and I just don't know what it is.

Also, does anyone happen to know the exact backstab bonus percentages for side attacks and back attacks? Thanks!

0 0
Reactions 19
Score : 616

If I'm understanding you correctly, what I need to say here is:

ALL skills, regardless of their respective element, benefit from attacking targets from the side or back. Not only air.

Authority is good because it's very easy to activate the proc with Air skills (you can usually attack 5~7 times a turn). Turning the enemy is irrelevant because you can get up to 100% additional bonus damage within a few turns.

1 0
Score : 1052
T3tra-|2012-01-29 09:59:09
Hello everyone, I just started Wakfu yesterday and am enjoying it quite thoroughly, but I have a question about a couple Iop passive specialties.

At the moment I'm an air Iop and I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to take either Compulsion or Authority. Allow me to break down my understanding of the two abilities.

Compulsion: 5 points per level, 2% damage increase per level up to a max of 40% passive damage increase all the time.

Authority: 5 points per level, 2% chance to turn target toward you and "Power" which buffs your damages. At max, you have a 45% chance of doing 20% more damage while "(10%) is applauded." Whatever that means.

It's also my understanding that air damage gets a bonus from attacking from the sides and back, which seems like would be wasted if you went for authority imo.

What's the point of taking Authority at all unless you've already maxed out Compulsion? For the same amount of points you're doing twice the damage ALL the time. I assume I must be missing something... perhaps the "(10%) is applauded" part of Authority is what makes it good and I just don't know what it is.

Also, does anyone happen to know the exact backstab bonus percentages for side attacks and back attacks? Thanks!

Maybe I can shed some light on your questions.

Compulsion is not as important as Authority in my opinion, however they are both necessary skills in most Iop builds, regardless of what element; the reason it's stressed so highly on Air is because, as someone said above, you attack so many times and it raises the chance that you'll hit your max buff of 100%.

Authority used to turn the target away from the Iop, giving him additional damage by allowing him to attack the targets back. Thus, every Iop went for a backstabbing build, and was considered very OP. They changed Authority so that it now turns the target toward the Iop, instead of away. This is a damage nerf to Iop's but doesn't put a big enough dent in the skill to warrant not getting it. Get it. I'll explain.

Authority has a % chance to proc every hit; 45% at max I believe. Once you proc authority, it stays on for the entire turn, as you proc more it gets stronger. Every time you proc (until you cap at 100%), Authority will roll over to your next turn. Authority will only drop off, if you complete a turn without proc'ing Authority, or you hit the cap and have exhausted it. Authority also has an "applauded" aspect, in that your teammates will clap 10% of the time it proc's in battle. I don't see any benefit to this other than being a funny addition to a good skill.

That said, Show Off is also a viable option to increase your damage (Show Off and Authority do not stack). It increases whenever an ally crits or kills an enemy. This of course relies on you being grouped for your buffs, which may be unappealing to some, which is why Authority is the more popular choice between the two. I will say that show off is much more reliable than Authority. However, the 45% is mitigated because Air builds can attack so many times during a turn that they can build it up just as fast as Show Off.

Hope this helps.
1 0
Score : 122
skyePurple|2012-01-29 10:12:09
If I'm understanding you correctly, what I need to say here is:

ALL skills, regardless of their respective element, benefit from attacking targets from the side or back. Not only air.

Authority is good because it's very easy to activate the proc with Air skills (you can usually attack 5~7 times a turn). Turning the enemy is irrelevant because you can get up to 100% additional bonus damage within a few turns.
So the Authority buff stacks? I hadn't really thought of that. Do you know this for sure or are you just assuming?

Also the reason I mentioned air damage doing extra damage from side and back attacks is because of this thread: Click here. Where someone mentioned that fire didn't do backstab damage, and I don't really know if it does or doesn't since I don't have experience.
Anyway, so if I'm understanding you correctly, Authority is the way to go since it procs multiple times and stacks? Does it still proc even if the monster is facing me when I attack it?
0 0

Please do not listen to ANYONE who tells you to level wisdom or kit skill.

Edit: Sorry, you ninja edited me.

1 0
youLuz|2012-01-29 10:31:26
Please do not listen to ANYONE who tells you to level wisdom or kit skill.

Edit: Sorry, you ninja edited me.
Ahh, yes. The quote coding didn't transfer over so I deleted it all. There was a little tidbit at the end there that mentioned fire element attacks not doing backstab damage which is what I was focusing on. The main quote above it was from like November of last year so I was going to disregard it all as out of date info anyways! Thank you for the warning though smile

So does Authority continue to trigger and stack even if my target is facing me while I attack them?
0 0

Yes, any melee attack it has a chance to proc. As long as it procs for the current turn, it will stay on and carry over to the next turn. This lasts until you do not proc for a full turn, or you hit the cap at 100% and it resets the next turn.

1 0

Excellent! Thanks so much for your help.

0 0
Score : 480

Hi to all the iops,

I hate to dig up threads that have been inactive this long but I have a small (and possibly silly) question regarding authority and thought this would be a good place to post it. Does the chance to activate the power buff associated with authority come into effect each time a melee attack is made or only when an attack is made from the side/back causing the enemy to turn?

Probably a noobish question but I'm a newly reformed sac, you see, and am trying to wrap my head around a new class and a new build for this class before launch.

0 0
Score : 3440
Geist1|2012-02-21 02:04:02
Hi to all the iops,

I hate to dig up threads that have been inactive this long but I have a small (and possibly silly) question regarding authority and thought this would be a good place to post it. Does the chance to activate the power buff associated with authority come into effect each time a melee attack is made or only when an attack is made from the side/back causing the enemy to turn?

Probably a noobish question but I'm a newly reformed sac, you see, and am trying to wrap my head around a new class and a new build for this class before launch.

Authority can still proc even while the target is facing you.
0 0
Score : 480

much obliged,
thanks for the prompt reply

0 0
Score : 289

Also in case people didn't know, Authority can now proc when it's at max 100% so you can keep the 100% possibly the whole fight. Makes me more towards maining an Iop on release.

0 0
Score : 285

authority also proced for me while using impact

0 0
Score : 359

Authority+compulsion+ 1 lvl of show off suffices for all solo and grouping needs. Sure you can max out showoff and not authority to try and recoup the old ways of backstab damage but jump uses wakfu now. Also srams are going to occupy that back space in most pvp situations anyhow. Considering that air gear usually is what has the innate backstab dmg modifier, still lacks substantial dodge mods, and uppercut equates to an extra jab level against equal level, I do not find it worth the effort.

Authority turns things to you for teammates to get to their back, it buffs all damage by 100%, procs at 100% and show off lvl one is a solid way to keep it going in group efforts. Compulsion is extra damage no matter how you look at it.

I'd find it somewhat silly for any iop to not have these two maxed by level 61. So the only factors on which goes before which is what you plan to level on. Obviously things that are non melee you will find authority to be less substantial during those lvls than compulsion, especially for earth.

Remember also that obtaining 8ap is going to be rougher till the 50's now. Even if you go ahead and use points, it is going to be till lvl 31 till you can first invest, and 2mp if you use a sat ring. Level 40 for a tard+1ap/150points.

These are all factors that need to be considered on which should go first. Authority or Compulsion.

0 0
Score : 1809

My advice would be to level the Iops specialties in this order based on recent changes to game mechanics: Authority, Expert Locker, and Compulsion.

Defensive Stance is an arguable specialty, and I personally find Iops too suseptiable to kiting, so I would opt instead to level either Flatten or Jump after level 61.

0 0
kuggy|2012-02-22 19:33:07

I'd find it somewhat silly for any iop to not have these two maxed by level 61.

Remember also that obtaining 8ap is going to be rougher till the 50's now. Even if you go ahead and use points, it is going to be till lvl 31 till you can first invest, and 2mp if you use a sat ring. Level 40 for a tard+1ap/150points.

You can max both specialties by level 41. I did this and after both were maxed I started pumpin' Expert Locker.

You can actually obtain 8 AP by level 42 now with the use of a Goultard and the Royal Blibli Set (for Fire and Air Iop).
0 0
Score : 359
Lionisio|2012-02-22 23:25:55
kuggy|2012-02-22 19:33:07

I'd find it somewhat silly for any iop to not have these two maxed by level 61.

You can max both specialties by level 41. I did this and after both were maxed I started pumpin' Expert Locker.

You can actually obtain 8 AP by level 42 now with the use of a Goultard and the Royal Blibli Set (for Fire and Air Iop).

Well a few things.

The royal blibli set is for air. The fire set is the the golden scarab from brakmar. The only fire stuff out of that blibli dungeon is from the mini boss using 5 hazel wood as a offering, which is a ring with +1 to fire and air spells. Also there will be absolute *** for pp gear at the very start. Most of the good pp stuff is also 40's and 50's. I highly doubt you will have the entire blibli set by 42. I was farming it for about 50+ runs with 120+ pp to complete it. Of course you can find a enu to come along and try and bag the boss but with low pp still going to take more time with lack of good pp gear to stack.

You still have to focus your efforts elsewhere like sufo snapper for water ap set, the brakmar for fire ap set, and the flower dungeon in amak for the earth ap set for the low 40s. Most enu will be in snapper themselves. That is why rougher till the 50's. Plus depending on how long it takes you might hit the 50's by the time you get the set.

But you are right that they present a option for the low 40's. I am just looking at the initial few weeks myself as after that the flooding of gear will make all kinds of options normal. First two weeks? Be a little different.
0 0

You can obtain the whole set by level 42 :3 I bought most of the pieces with Kama, just farmed for a couple hours and got them later that day. I didn't get to use it though cause I was 41 and didn't hit 42 before wipe, sad day. But you're right, buying it in the first couple of weeks will be difficult, but there are rare occasions when people will get a piece and don't need it and sell it.

0 0
Score : 3440

As of release, does Authority still proc even if the target is facing you?

0 0
Tavish-DeGroot|2012-03-01 04:31:08
As of release, does Authority still proc even if the target is facing you?
Yep :3
0 0
Respond to this thread