FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Celestial Sword

By Astellus - MEMBER - February 10, 2011, 16:38:17

Hey fellow Iop players!

So I love the art and the feel of the Celestial Sword spell.  I also think it's important to have at least one AoE ability leveled when you are surrounded, so I'm trying it out.  But here is my concern:

I don't think Celestial Sword is a good spell.

It really doesn't stack up to Iop's Wrath in terms of pure damage output - even when you juice it with Amplification it seems a little worse off.  So the benefits must lie in its debuff and its cost!  Let's take a look at them:

* Cost: 3 AP 2 MP.  Since it doesn't cost any WP, it's important that you not be able to cast it more than once a turn until you get sneaky and obtain more MP - even then it's going to keep you where you are for sure.  And having another 3 AP is pretty good for a single target follow-up.  But more often than not, I find I am not in an AoE situation for many turns in a row in a typical fight, and that seems like the space for this spell.  Iop's Wrath is great for capitalizing on those times when you want to really dish it out because you get surrounded, and Celestial Sword would be a better choice if you end up in that situation for many turns in a row, so you aren't chewing through your WP.  But guess what?  That doesn't happen.  Enemies get near you and die, or stay far away and you try to hunt them down.  So I'm concerned that it doesn't fill a valuable niche in terms of cost.

* Debuff: Blind - reduces the target's range by 20 (essentially to 0).  What a great status effect!  It's a fantastic way of shutting down ranged enemies that never want to get close.  It's a great ability for Iops to have at their disposal.  The problem?  It's on Celestial Sword.  When have you ever had the occasion to use Celestial Sword on a ranged enemy?  My guess is, the times I have gotten to use it on them: when they make a mistake and walk right up to me (lock for the win!), or when I have them pinned against a wall.  But barring enemy foolishness, you'll never get to blind a ranged target - because you can't reach them with this power unless you start your turn adjacent to them.  If you walk up to them, you can't cast the spell because you don't have the MP.  If you Jump to them, you can't cast it because you don't have the AP.  And if they're pinned against the wall, why not just kill them with Intimidation instead of trying to blind them?  I find this spell to be at odds with itself, and with the rest of the Iop palette.

So what do you fellow players think?  Have you found that perfect moment to use Celestial Sword?  Is it a better use of your MP than Eviscerate, considering its AP cost?  And do you have any suggestions for making this spell more viable if you don't think it fits the bill just now?

My 2 kamas: Reduce the AP by 1 to allow for flashy Jump combos, or reduce the MP by 1 to allow Iops to maneuver into AoE position more readily (possibly becoming able to cast it twice in one round), or change the status effect to something relevant to melee targets (reduced resistances, loss of MP, even burning for a turn), or greatly increase the chance of blind to put the spell into a more situational debuff role.

I'm eager to hear what other Iops think.

0 0
Reactions 4
Score : 842

Your forgeting about 2 things that make this spell shine Lock and Groups

Lock:  if you are surrounded and can lock the enemies there then you can spam CS over and over unlike Wrath.  You have to remeber we are really low level right now with horrible gear.  Locking and using the spell twice or more in high end gear will probably be the norm.

Groups:  The blindness doesn't really help you fight a ranged target but it helps the rest of your team. so lets say you lock down a few nasty guys and are able to blind them.  well now you don't have to worry about there ranged attacks hitting your healer while you spam CS your team mates can get closer without taking damage.

0 0
Score : 1488

From what I see, Iops tend to benefit from having 4+ mp. In addition, Iops tend to "close the distance" pretty quickly, the only other class that did this better was the Sacrier V2. Take a look at Jump, Charge, Super Iop Punch: all of those involve using AP to move towards an enemy.

Given that you have TREMENDOUS lock, you should be able to close the Distance using the following:

4mp
Jump or Super-Iop Punch.

Personally, I would couple Super Iop punch with Celestial Sword: once you get close enough, just wail on your target.

From what I see, Iops tend to benefit from having 4+ mp. In addition, Iops tend to "close the distance" pretty quickly, the only other class that did this better was the Sacrier V2. Take a look at Jump, Charge, Super Iop Punch: all of those involve using AP to move towards an enemy.

Given that you have TREMENDOUS lock, you should be able to close the Distance using the following:

4mp
Jump or Super-Iop Punch.

Personally, I would couple Super Iop punch with Celestial Sword: once you get close enough, just wail on your target.

0 0
Score : 1543

You reduce the AP or MP at all you'll have people casting it three times a turn by mid level. They'd probably lower the damage to compensate.

0 0
Score : 448

That's a very good point about the importance of having 4MP as an Iop - I haven't played to a level at which that becomes common (excepting the Tofu set, which perhaps I should try despite its wind/water focus).

My question then becomes about CS' damage in comparison to Wrath.  I looked up how the numbers compare: CS is a little less than half of Wrath's base damage (and Wrath's explosion proc allows for another chunk more).  I suppose that is about right if you can cast it twice a turn with 4 MP.  But to get the most benefit out of it as a source of sustainable damage (over Wrath), the combat would have to last longer than 4 rounds with you sitting still spamming CS.  I haven't yet come across a combat in which that seems likely - will fights possibly last that long at higher levels?

And in response to Eraniverse, honestly casting it three times a turn at its current damage level would just barely put it about on par with Earthquake in terms of damage, taking into account its inferior debuff.

Does any of you play a fire Iop who uses Celestial Sword to good effect with 4 MP?  I'd be curious to know how that feels.

0 0
Respond to this thread