FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Dragon Pig's Single-Target PvE Iop Guide - last updated 5/25/20

By HateSpawn - MEMBER - December 24, 2015, 18:12:39

Hi! I'm hatespawn/dragon pig, and I've been meaning to update this guide for a while. A few players convinced me that it's worth putting in the effort, so here we go again!

Why play iop: Iop is one of the best characters for farming lower level content, able to solo kill entire mob rooms when fully geared. It's also a strong contender for best melee/aoe room clearer, but this isn't the guide for that. Iop also has high end boss damage and ST mob burst, but the place where Iop is most uncontested is where you're overgeared for the content, due to situations involving uppercut, charge, and return.

To clarify, I think Iop might be the worst PvP class in the game at a high level, so I consider discussing PvP viability to be pointless.

Fire:

Thunderbolt - DPA 25

This has some really, REALLY niche usage just for being a ranged skill that hits in fire, but the damage is abysmal and Flaming is hard to utilize. Especially since it doesn't stack, and just throwing a thunderbolt randomly wouldn't really get much accomplished when you could just Jabs or SIP, but more on that later. 

Celestial Sword - DPA 27

I never make use of this, because I devote entirely to single target. The spell itself has no problems though, and does pretty excellent damage from a range. Too bad without AoE mastery you really can't deal much ranged damage with it, Thunderbolt will usually hit harder if you dedicate to some ST, and even then you'd rather use Impact for hitting even further.

Super Iop Punch (SIP) - DPA 29 - Tripled on Punch DPA 87

SIP is the bread and butter for fire. This is the only fire skill that ever touches any deck slot of mine, and is completely invaluable. Adding it to your deck unlocks "Punch" which essentially grants access to some absolutely ludicrous burst damage. Usually the spell you want to consume a power cycle boost on for optimized damage.

Sword of Judgement - DPA 27

The DPA is incredibly competitive, and it hits such a big, stupid AoE, and buffs allies. However, only 4 of the cells of the AoE hit in melee, it'll be hard to use on a dedicated single target build, especially when it competes with Iop's wrath, which also hits the same cells, plus some more.

Iop's Wrath - DPA ~29.16

Iop's Wrath is the single reason melee/AoE is worth it. You're playing a class where your single target damage output can compete with AoEs when hitting multiple targets, and it carries one of the most intimidating AoEs in the game. This wouldn't be such a big deal of a spell if not for the fact that it very frequently ends up on a character that gains 2 AP on kill, hits a massive area, and... will often be boosted by up to 95% just from passives. I'll infrequently take this, but since I have such a massive amount of ST mastery due to my preferences, it's never really being utilized.

Also, funny enough, I should point out that Wrath might be the only skill that uses all four secondary masteries, as Lost is calculated with single target and distance, and wrath itself is clearly aoe and melee. But you can ignore lost in all damage calculations with this spell. It's pointless in comparison to how much you can squeeze out of it.

======================================

Finished up with the fire tree. In the end, I only find room for Super Iop Punch on any of my decks. 

Earth:

Shaker - DPA 29

My deck ends up with 1 flex slot, and Shaker is really good to take there. Its a consistent 3rd element of damage, albeit cast limited, but it also hits Iop's blind spot, which is the diagonal in melee. All of the skills I deck don't hit that with a single target ability, other than Shaker and very infrequently Thunderbolt. Ties with SIP for DPA

Rocknoceros - DPA 25

Very niche utility skill that never sees the light of day. Might be useful for some things I've never cared about. 

Impact - DPA 29

This is THE reason I'm a single target stacker. I'm very envious of ranged classes, and being able to hit from a comfortable distance for more than 0 damage is a great way to alleviate stress. The shield could be cool, I guess.

Charge - DPA doesn't even matter 25

I cannot stress enough how I use this spell. There are times when the only 2 spells I use are charge and uppercut. It's just so good. So so good. Please take this with you everywhere you go. This spell grants you a TON of extra target access to keep your damage snowball rolling. Especially late game with returns.

Devastate - DPA 21

Basically, if you opt out of single target, and into more melee, maybe even some AoE, this spell and Wrath are your two best friends. This does a truckload of damage if you've got the MP in reserve, and in the element we struggle to utilize.

==============================================

That's it for Earth. As I stated, Charge is hot-glued onto my decks as of 2016, and Impact sneaks in during some fights. Use your jurisdiction. 

Air:

Note - Combo DPA will be kept separated. For the future, notation for combos would be something like "JabsC" referring to the Jabs Combo. I'm edgy and I like abbreviations, and this means iops will have a secret code that the lame ranged characters and dog won't understand smile

Jabs - DPA 27 - C DPA 25

It's like SIP, but slightly weaker, and in a different flavor element. Generates a bit less power too, but if the target has high fire res and low air res it's worth it to just start jabsing.

JabsC is probably the worst of the 3 big AoEs we have. I wish it was cooler. Costing an MP and being useless on anything you've hit with Jabs really sucks. Funny for when you want to do AoE/Distance damage though. 

Flurry - DPA 27 - C DPA 107 ?? ? ??

1 AP damage spells are really really uncommon right now, so this spell is just valuable for being great for little tappy-taps. Also does funny haha iop damage, so in some cases this will just do 2000+ damage and make noobies impressed, which is a nice flex. 

FlurryC is ridiculous. You only get the AP back once per turn, and it clashes with other FlurryC casts from other iops in the same fight (which sucks cause on Nox two of the, like, 15-20 best geared characters are Iops oops). The massive nerf to this combo hurt the class, but now you just take Return and everything is ok. 

Wallop - DPA 27 - Combo DPA - 27 

In almost every sense, it's basically the same thing as using two flurries. Use your own judgement to assess if it's actually better to wallop or just double flurry. Cast limit helps decide.

WallopC do push for move things away when they be close :]

Gutting Gust - DPA technically 21 - C DPA technically 48 

Since this thing doesn't actually cost AP, it's hard to put a DPA on it (more on that in the next spell). 2/target, just stomp on things when you have the MP to blow. The combo is great, use it whenever you have the MP to blow and a SIP won't do the job.

GustC...

What if, for the measly cost of 1 MP, you turned 81 damage for 3 AP, into 144 damage for 3 AP?

Completely ridiculous. Superb. Love it. FlurryC => GustC is bread and butter.

Uppercut - DPA technically 53 - Combo DPA N/A

Uppercut is incredible. This is largely due to it being included in the FlurryC mentioned earlier, but also because for effectively free, you can do damage. 0 AP? 0 MP? Not a problem if you have the WP to sacrifice. 53 base is a big deal, especially when it comes at you twice a turn.

UppercutC has definitely seen better days. The damage simplification made this an unworthy use of your MP, and, to an extent, your WP. I only use it when I absolutely need the damage burst on a hit to pass a threshold, or in conjunction with power cycles, or in the event I can't get enough power to use Virility's preparation.

For reference, the combo applies 20 levels of preparation, which means +20% damage dealt to the next damage you deal. If you're good about power cycling, and using the free 40 preparation from Virility, you will rarely need to use this to gain damage. It's kind of like, training wheels, though. So early game, I can see this being far more useful.

The real key here, is stacking it with Virility, to get SIXTY prep on the big mega punch on boosted turns.

=======================================================

As I've stated, all 5 air spells are mandatory for a great Iop build. To continue with the class spells, we'll talk about all the actives.

Actives:

Jump - As a melee class, being able to cross the map quickly and safely is of utmost importance. With the passive Authority (which is a must have) it gives you +100 resistance, along side adding a range for a max of 5, and the spell loses its pesky LoS requirement. Excellent.

Defensive Stance -  essentially +100 resist if youre dying, and gives you a shield with the connection. it's aight. Optional when you don't need like, impact.

Standard - Excellent for maintaining map control, target access, and having an obstacle to deploy. Sometimes useful with KoTH for damage and lock. Gives resist to allies and enemies alike, which is ew.

Focus - A shadow of the past. Useful for when you need incurable or stab. 

Hour of glory - Mediocre. Deck slots run tight but you can technically carry it. It's basically useless outside of Blightopard, Pandora, and Dreggons at end game, though.

Increase - Huge cost, really solid effect. I like damage, so I deck this. Useless in long fights imo.

MasTErY oF WEapOnS - HaS SoME CoOl EFfEcT WheRe YoU DeAl BonUS WeApoN DamAGe

===================================================
Jump and Standard are the only manditory ones.

Passives:

Virility - up to 700 free HP and the 40 preparation (When a wakfu is regenned by 100 concentration) for free. Excellent, really. That preparation is a LOT free damage. For the record, I'll refer to the regeneration from Concentration as a "power cycle".

Show Off - The +15% damage dealt aspect mostly goes unnoticed, as our damage fluctuates frequently. However, very often I find that +40 power/concentration from the kill to be AMAZING. Take this one, too. Combo power is nice.

Bravery - I for one love the tanky damage dealer getting more damage for being tanky, and getting tankier while dealing more damage. Basically, this passive is fantastic, +4 crit per block is bonkers when you're casting like 15 spells in a turn.

Authority - Jump is too good to not use, and this passive makes it even better. Take it.

Compulsion - This is a good passive. In short fights, it'll mess up a lot of the easy power cycles a 12 AP/6 MP Iop ends up running through and makes it hard to get a good turn 2 SIP. In the long term, when you're in, for example, Ogrest, it's really good to have. That +25% power generation helps to accommodate your IMMENSE Wakfu consumption. The extra effect for punch turns is nice, too. I like MP. But I like 10% constant damage from inhalation more usually.

Side note- for 11 AP/7 MP builds, this passive becomes far more potent, as you have less AP and your power cycles are quite different. Not to mention, it helps to make up for lost power generation from lack of AP.

Furious Charge - Makes charge do bonus damage but not really important. The shielding support could be alright. Focus being ranged isn't useful.

Locking Pro - This passive ended up JUST BARELY weaker than I hoped it would. With a panda can still be really strong. 

Tormentor - ?????????????? If you need to take range and no one else in the party can then I guess it's tormentime.

Seismic Rift - I MISS SUCTION CUPS. That said this passive is cool if you're using HoG, which I never am. 200 dodge is cool too.

King of the Hill - useful for when you need lock.

=========================================================
Deck -
Empty skill slot is for 
1- Shaker, if I want more earth damage.
2- Wrath/devastate if I want to AoE something (I hate AoEs personally but it's a good decision for a lot of iops)
3- Focus (I like stabilizing things)
4- I might try thunderbolt sometimes?
5- defensive stance if I'm afraid of dying??
6- I guess you could slap whatever you want here, so Hour of Glory sort of works..

Empty passive slot is for

1- Inhalation. God, 10% damage always. I'm sold.
2- Compulsion. More power for more WP for more concentration for more preparation for more fun. 1 MP 10% dmg dealt when you're ready to divebomb hard. Good passive.
3- KotH for lock
4- Rift for dodge
5- Medicine for trolling

==============================================

and now for my current build
I use these items because they offer big stacks that I care about. For example, Kiotamm's Saw offers 700 mastery, at the cost of 400 rear mastery. In most cases I won't ever really care about the lost rear mastery. The biggest changes that need to be made are the belt (Working on a Count Frigost's belt as I'm writing this) and my Wax-Ring needs a new order to fit Ambush (I might do that today).

Overall -

Basically I wanted to have 100% crit with no downsides. I compromise very little in terms of stats across the build.

----

Now, briefly, I'd like to skim my deck.

FlurryC and GustC for my primary damage options, along side Super Iop Punch and Focus to augment my DPS potential. Increase for an early boost to simulate the Power bonus, and help me gain momentum immediately.

WallopC as team support and map control, while also being able to disengage from high lockers while doing damage.

Charge, Jump, and Bravery Standard to augment my resist and help me get around. MP is important for damage dealing with Gutting Gust.

Impact for those niche situations where I can't do damage as I normally would want to. IMPORTANT TO NOTE! Defensive Stance is an excellent choice here for almost every encounter, especially if your block is on the low-side of things. Pre-zinit, Impact is mostly useless. Keep defensive stance in the early game.

8/03/18 notes: Evasion is nice when you don't want Inhale or Compulsion. smile
============================================
Next up, we'll talk about my recommended attributes.

Intelligence:
30 HP, 10 resist, 10 armor. Armor is really strong in short fights, and with 4000+ mastery, most fights don't last long. Also helps me preserve my Vivacity from Forgotten cloak.

Strength:

20 melee, 20 ST, 10 general. 

Agility:

I have 3 pages, strictly for varying agility tabs.

1 - 50 dodge
2 - 30 dodge, 20 force of will
3 - 10 dodge, 20 initiative, 20 force of will

anything that looks like this is fine, just make sure you stay between 500 and 600 lock.

Chance -

20 Crit, 20 Block, 10 Crit mastery. Every Iop is gonna have the same Chance build. It's all that makes any sense.

Major

I recommend AP, MP, Reduction, Final Damage. In that order.

===================================================

As I said in the OP you're going to want all the air spells and here's why.

Massive damage combos come from chaining your spells during the turn.

As an example:

A mob is next to a wall and isn't heavily resistant to air damage, you could use Uppercut, Jabs, Uppercut, Flurry, Flurry, Wallop which will net cost you 5 AP 2 WP and deal 352 base damage at level 200 (NOT counting critical hits). And all that with 4 spells. You also gain power if you take Show Off due to Combo usage. You can also use Flurry then Gust afterwards to chain in a GustC to add an additional 90 base damage, for a sum total of 442.

If a mob is in your face, and focus is off it's CD, you can go for the most effective combo I've found, Increase + Focus, Wallop Flurry Gust, Wallop Flurry Gust, Gust (on a different cell), Uppercut Jabs Uppercut Flurry, and then finish with a Wallop or 2 Flurries. It's important to realize that this single combo will not be your go-to option for damage dealing. You don't want to spend your entire turn beating on something just to get rid of one enemy. It's far more efficient to be as resource conserving as possible, and eliminate multiple enemies at once.

That combo however, is a total of 556 base damage at level 200, ignoring the fact that your damage is augmented by Focus' -100% resist to front and side, along with not factoring in crits, +20 preparation on your Jabs, +20% FD from increase, any critical hits, or the fact that doing this combo with Show Off (No compulsion needed) generates enough power to go from 0-100 and get you 1 of your five WP back. That last bit is a little unfortunate, due to the power cycle burning the preparation.

The key is to know when to use what air spells and how to chain your combos for maximum efficiency. Take full advantage of Virility's +40% Preparation per WP regen.

I really don't want to re-write the underlined text. It's all pretty relevant, but what's good to know is that basically nothing survives long when you have a full build, and you get AP/MP back with return if you build like I did.

==================================================

For quite some time I've been trying to figure out how to handle this section of the guide. 

Tactics, Strategy, Advanced Play (End Game)

What we're going to focus on is Power Cycling and damage control. Power Cycling, as a reminder for those who forgot amidst this massive textbook of Iop shit, is my term for when your Concentration hits 100, thus regenerating 1 WP, and also awarding you with +40% damage dealt to the next attack, via Preparation from the Virility passive. Damage control is basically pulling your punches, or bursting something when you need to.

During your turns, do not just think about the next attack, or what will do the most damage possible, think about the following attacks and the grand scheme of your turn. I cannot stress enough how important this is. The differences between any old Iop and a great Iop, is a great Iop is always thinking about how to be effective for the fight, while a mediocre Iop will just try to nuke one thing. Your class deals the most damage per turn in the entire metagame. You simply cannot afford to kill enemies one by one, that's not good enough. Think about clearing the enemy you're facing, and wounding another, or finishing a wounded one off. Your spells are limited not by AP and cost restraints, but mostly by cast limits. If you have the WP to spare, kill something with Uppercuts, so you can keep uppercutting everything else in the room. Rarely do you need to throw down all 12 AP and 2 MP and 2 WP to kill just one enemy. 

And to maximize efficiency, you need to use Power CyclesDo not underestimate a 29 DPA attack boosted by +40%. More to the point, you should also acknowledge the incredible damage that you can dish out with an 87 DPA attack boosted by +40%. At that point your numbers will be in the 5 digits, for a measly 3 AP. That's... enough to kill something, on it's own, with no other hits. Hold your SIP until you can power cycle. Remember, if you're performing a combo, you can cast any non-air spell and the combo will still continue. This means that, suppose you're at 69 Concentration, and you've already used one SIP during the turn. You can use Uppercut (89) and then Jabs (94) a second Uppercut (104 = 4 + Power Cycle), and then smack something with your SIP. Punch or no Punch, it'll still remove a chunk of something's health. It can be the target you're airing up, or a nearby foe who's already crippled, or will be an easy kill by an ally once you've dealt some sizable damage. Alternatively, if you'd just sat there and continued the flurry combo, your Flurry (27 base) would pick up the +40% damage. You want to avoid this, it basically wastes burst damage, which in the current meta isn't something you should let happen. Keep in mind, though, you didn't interrupt the combo. As soon as you cast Flurry, it will complete the FlurryC, and you'll gain the +2 AP. It will literally spend 1 more AP to just pick up 2 AP. Sure, it won't have 40 Preparation, but it'll just hand you a free AP.

Also keep in mind, Jump gives you resist. With the Auth passive I recommended, it nets +100 resist, and will thus allow you to leave the action, while also making you less susceptible to being targetted, and making you more resistant to the damage in the event that you are targetted. Sure, that's 4 AP that's not going towards hitting things, but you effectively can't deal damage if you let yourself die. Another reason why I started to build tanky.

Remember that you can also mitigate damage by killing the enemies before they can move. Mind your WP of course, as burning 4-6 on the first turn leaves you WP starved for the remainder of the fight, but in general it'll end up being worth your while. The first turn frequently ends up being among the most important. If you can kill Roxxors/War'Hgs/Ammaniacs before they can debuff, Beardgers/Dreggers/Gulnaz's before they can heal, Badgerages/Sulfuries/Soft-Boileds before they can wreck someone's face, your whole team will be relieved. Sure, sometimes you need a helping hand from friendly-friend feca to get enough damage to go for the one-turn-kill, but it'll more often than not prove to be worth it.

Remember also not to end your turn with AP unspent. Every elemental spell gives you Power, Power gives you Concentration, Concentration gives you WP and Preparation, and WP and Preparation are primarily how you kill things. Not to mention, critting gives you +block from Bravery, so it's pretty straightforward. Several reasons to be spending leftover AP. Not like it rolls over or something, so it's best to spend all of it. use SIP, it gives 20 Power for 3 AP, or if you're using Show Off, use GustC, it gives 21 Power for 3 AP and an MP (if you use Show Off). Even if it's an empty cell, it'll still do something for ya. 

In-between turns you should plan out what to do with your turn. Figure out how to most efficiently get to your target and kill it, and what to do after you kill it. Consider when your Power Cycles will happen, so you don't have to do quite as much improv. Your damage fluctuates, so take your various buffs (and debuffs) into account before you charge at something with a plan to kill it with 4 AP but end up needing 6 to bring it down.

============================

Idk, games easy now just rip shit in half boys. Power cycling is important in like top 1% of play elsewise just sleep on everything with gust combo and uppercuts. 
38 -2
Reactions 76
Score : 4391

Why do you get rid of carnage for the other passives? Not authority?

I feel Judgement and Celestial is interchangeable. What's your thoughts dawg?

Also I haven't seen you in some time, neat that you're back.

1 -1
Score : 17662

I use Judgement once a fight on average, my iop's got high init for pvp so in pve I need a buffing option.

I'd say I use wrath way less often. It's not great, imo.

CS is just wallop but with fire and a significant increase in damage based on their current HP (it's also more ranged and a nifty AoE)

I don't see myself needing it in PvE content, and the spell exp is a pretty big investment.

As for auth, why don't you get rid of Bravery? Because it's both offensive and defensive at a very large scale

authority gives me 50% resistance and an extra cell of movement basically every 2 turns. I don't see that as being inherently better than 15% increase in damage dealt VIA carnage.

plus if I could count the amount of times a day I use no los jump it'd be pretty insane.

0 0
Score : 6244

I use almost the same passives, except Compulsion for Show Off.
I was thinking to use Show Off at level 200, you were thinking to use Compulsion at level 200 XD

For the active spells, I'm using a complete different deck and (maybe) a different playstyle too.

That's what I love about Wakfu! Different playstyle

0 0

I also want to make clear that I'm not trying to be all "this is the best way to play iop"

theres so many omg

0 0
Score : -3047

Why not max level thunderbolt?

0 -1
blazakkhakabow|2015-12-25 09:46:59
Why not max level thunderbolt?
I don't use it, in pve things run away or die before flaming kills them, in pvp people run away.
0 0
Score : 1210

Bumping down the street in my 64 Standard the bitches Sipping the hoes. My boy Hate holding it down with this A1 guide good job bro.

0 0
Score : 365

I'm currently having fun trying out a 13ap-5mp build. I really hate the loss of mp and don't reccommend it but the amount of combos it opens is delicious. Anything ending his turn in front of you (PvE) will suffer ass-related streching injuries.

Good guide, I use the same thing except for Judgment (I use thunderbolt, it helps hitting things in some awkward spots)

Have you tried playing with Mastery of weapons (Or w/e it's called in english)? The air combo always leaves 2 ap (in a 12ap build) to do w/e with at the end of your turn and it feels like it could wreck a lot more on the next turn with Punch and weapon.

0 0
KingLionMax|2016-02-29 19:51:43
I'm currently having fun trying out a 13ap-5mp build. I really hate the loss of mp and don't reccommend it but the amount of combos it opens is delicious. Anything ending his turn in front of you (PvE) will suffer ass-related streching injuries.

Good guide, I use the same thing except for Judgment (I use thunderbolt, it helps hitting things in some awkward spots)

Have you tried playing with Mastery of weapons (Or w/e it's called in english)? The air combo always leaves 2 ap (in a 12ap build) to do w/e with at the end of your turn and it feels like it could wreck a lot more on the next turn with Punch and weapon.
when your weapons either heal or are a +30 heal dagger you dont hit very hard with them. less hard than I would with wallop / flurry / gust if one of those crit, especially the ridiculous 63 base damage gust.

in addition I run def stance for clutch self heals in 1v1 or free unlimited block potential for when I jump into a herd of kokos to run focus and 6 ap 2 mp worth of gust combos into a leric. +100 backstab res is nice
0 0
Score : 106

HateSpawn do you still stat ten elemental res or do you just stat some barrier/armour and then dump into hp? sorry for noob question

0 0
ChadyBoy|2016-05-12 09:02:16
HateSpawn do you still stat ten elemental res or do you just stat some barrier/armour and then dump into hp? sorry for noob question
yup, 10 res 3 barrier, rest of it goes full hp dump
0 0
Score : 106
HateSpawn|2016-05-14 00:02:47
and 4 armor right?
0 0
ChadyBoy|2016-05-14 08:19:37
HateSpawn|2016-05-14 00:02:47
and 4 armor right?
Yeah but its pretty arbitrary,
0 0
Score : 1520

How to Iop:
Step1- Punch things
Step2- Realize you're useless endgame and re-roll into a cra
Step3- Profit??

2 -3
Score : 2451
BetterThanBoxBox|2016-09-03 07:51:01
How to Iop:
Step1- Punch things
Step2- Realize you're useless endgame and re-roll into a cra
Step3- Profit??
Good guide, exactly what I did with my Iop. 10/10
0 -1

Updated gear.

0 0
Score : 301

Hello HateSpawn! I have a few questions about Iop!

Would you say your guide is still good/relevant after the latest update? Is that build more for PvP or mobs?
Are Air/Fire Iop still the way to go if you want the most damaging branch?

Hope it's not a bother biggrin 

0 0
Soyokaze|2016-10-13 17:09:19
Hello HateSpawn! I have a few questions about Iop!

Would you say your guide is still good/relevant after the latest update? Is that build more for PvP or mobs?
Are Air/Fire Iop still the way to go if you want the most damaging branch?

Hope it's not a bother biggrin
Yes, and yes. The guide works fine for PvP and mobs. I don't think there's a more optimal way to pvp spec or pve spec.
0 0
Score : 449

Thanks for the guide, very in-depth and informative. I've been away from wakfu for a while but wanting to come back and start a new character.
I think I'll go with an iop.

0 0
Respond to this thread