FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Flurry vs. Jabs

By Kokonaut May 28, 2014, 08:47:52

After some calculations, I've determined that the bonus damage from the Aerial buff of Flurry does not make Flurry a more powerful spell than Jabs on a full DPT cycle.

For this example, I presume the Iop has 800% damage after Power and is attacking a 0% resist target from the front. No critical hits will be taken into account. We will presume the Iop is using all attacks on their primary air attacking spell and has 12 AP.

Level 146 Jabs = 45 Base (22.5/AP)
Level 146 Flurry = 19 Base (19/AP)

Jabs
45 x 6 = 270
270 x 8.0 + (270 x 1.0) = 2430

Flurry
19 x 12 = 228
228 x 9.2 + (228 x 1.0) = 2323.6 (One air spell after this DPT cycle will also benefit from a 10% air damage bonus; a leveled Uppercut would work best here)

In the end, Flurry is only advantageous if you find yourself with an unusual amount of AP (due to increased or decreased gains) or against an enemy that benefits from quantitative hits. Unfortunately in most high level content, the opposite holds true and most enemies will benefit from less but stronger hits.

That being said, the difference is minuscule, narrowed further by a slight damage boost on the spell after the twelfth Flurry. Taking Flurry also enlarges the likelihood of obtaining all three Authority buffs in the turn cycle.

• Mango

0 0
Reactions 6
Score : 5221

If you do count Crits and you're playing with a Masq, have them place a maxed Classic (air) Mask on the Iop.

Every crit you have a 75% chance to get 1ap back, essentially making that Flurry free. Your only limit then (if being lucky and getting lots of crits) would be your turn timer and just punch away and away. (Also the party another +7% damage per crit.)

With the Masq having Carnival maxed, the mask has an 80% chance of staying on the Iop for each consecutive turn. Thus meaning it could last the entire fight (if the Masq doesn't need to use their Classic Masq).

Though of course I bet you knew all that already and yes, you're just comparing skills if you're an Iop by yourself.

- Kat

0 0
Score : 1446

You are minimizing flurries damage.
Flurry is supposed to be interweaved with other air spells.
Flurry - gust - Flurry - gust - Flurry- uppercut - flurry spam.
The 10% applies to your next air spell so you follow it up with gust/uppercut because they hit harder and cost no AP.

I can't remember the calculations but the damage is very close doing that. Flurry spam also makes it easier to accumulate Authority for stuns in an air/earth build.

The difference being the 10% higher on gust/uppercut that Jab builds don't have. So in the full burst combo the damage difference is negligible. Jabs still wins if I remember but when you are Air/earth you can easily drop 6 ap get 9 hits and still have 4-6 AP left depending on build for earth stuns.

0 0
Score : 1815
Testimony|2014-06-07 15:34:55
You are minimizing flurries damage.
Flurry is supposed to be interweaved with other air spells.
Flurry - gust - Flurry - gust - Flurry- uppercut - flurry spam.
The 10% applies to your next air spell so you follow it up with gust/uppercut because they hit harder and cost no AP.

I can't remember the calculations but the damage is very close doing that. Flurry spam also makes it easier to accumulate Authority for stuns in an air/earth build.

The difference being the 10% higher on gust/uppercut that Jab builds don't have. So in the full burst combo the damage difference is negligible. Jabs still wins if I remember but when you are Air/earth you can easily drop 6 ap get 9 hits and still have 4-6 AP left depending on build for earth stuns.

The different in damages is almost negligible, but yes your comment does maximize the damage slightly.

That being said as a Jabs user I've never had issues building Power for stuns. In addition the situations in which you absolutely want to stun vs. dealing out another two Jabs (or 4-5 Flurry hits) is not as common as one would hope, unless we're account for PvP in which case maybe yes.

I can see its usefulness, but not at the expense of a bit of base damage as well as at the expense of quantitative hits when so many enemies nowadays are reactionary to attacks.

• Mango
0 0
Score : 3164

Firstly the buff is 5% final damage without CH and 10% with CH. Secondly it'd be a big waste of Flurry's buff to use it for Gust. The best thing to do with a Flurry build is to use the final damage buff for the strongest spell you have, so a continuous Flurry-Jabs is the highest damage option. It does about 8% more damage than just Flurry and about 1% less than just Jabs. With a 12 AP build and no CH included (spells at lvl. 100) Flurry-Jabs build does 4*14+4*1.05*32=190.4, while regular Jabs build does 6*32=192. Above 78% CH, Flurry build does more damage in average, but it's not particularly worth one's while, especially since you have to invest more spell levels in it.

0 0
Score : 1815

I hadn't realized it was final damage.

Though for the record it's 10% non-CH and 15% with CH making Flurry-Jabs w/ no CH 196.8, higher than pure Jabs.

78% CH rate is highly unrealistic, and for most players' case where they're hybridizing they cannot afford to take both Jabs and Flurry, making that equally unrealistically.

But mathematically you have are 99% correct with the minor error on the damage boost. It's worth tinkering around with.

• Mango

0 0
Score : 3164

Oh yes, you're right about the buffs values, I took that information from the Encyclopedia which appears to be a bit bugged. It automatically cancels the 78% CH statement. Also I've just tested Flurry, the buff is to the final damage. Flurry-Jabs build is better the whole way on paper, but only if you can maintain the same spell levels as you can have with Jabs-Uppercut-Gust which is unrealistic. Considering you have to sacrifice at least about 5% final damage from spell levels, straightforward Jabs build seems be slightly better.

0 0
Respond to this thread