FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Problem with the "Your IP is hidden" error message.

By Dead-Z#2640 - MEMBER - May 23, 2021, 17:12:45
AnkaTracker

My issue is resolved in some way but still it exists. I write here in the forum in hope that someone can see and fix.

1. I couldnt login to Wakfu (both in wakfu login screen OR the Ankama laucher). I tried both non-steam and steam version. The error message is: "Login not allowed. Your IP address is hidden."

2. =1.5remSo I do a google search and found this article:https://support.ankama.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012716977But it's not correct. I dont use VPN.3. Thinking that may be my Ethernet is wrong somewhere - I did something with the IP config to renew  it - but the problem was still there. Then I went to https://whatsmyip.com/ to see if my IP is hidden or not. And nah, that site showed my IP correctly. In addition, many other games and websites still works well with my IP.

Then I though "May be my IP is banned from Wakfu server, not hidden from it".

4. I contacted my ISP asking them to change my public IP address. They did that, and boom!!! - Wakfu runs correctly till now.

So what I want to tell is, the error message SHOULD BE something else. If the message is " Your IP is BANNED" - I swear the first thing I do is the 4th step. 

Some Devs can give me an answer here? Thank you!!

1 0
First Ankama intervention

Hi Dead-Z#2640,

Thanks for sharing but we would have to request if you can contact the Support team here and let them know of your situation, as they are the only ones that can correct your account details and check your connection error.

[Flatops]

See message in context
Reactions 2

Hi Dead-Z#2640,

Thanks for sharing but we would have to request if you can contact the Support team here and let them know of your situation, as they are the only ones that can correct your account details and check your connection error.

[Flatops]

Score : 1
[SHARING A POSSIBLE SOLUTION]

Hello guys smile

So I haven't played dofus nor wakfu for a couple of years and I recently decided to join back only to find the new Ankama launcher where it gave me the message "Login not allowed: your IP address is hidden." (and same in the wakfu login screen and on the ankama website) while I'm sure I'm not using any VPN or Proxy or any other software that hides my IP address.

I then tried to connect using my phone 4G which did work so I knew it was related to my wifi router/ISP. 
So, studying software engineering, I have some network knowledge and I decide to open my router's interface (which the ISP uses to configure the router or maybe you might be using on a regular basis to reboot your router remotely), and check the configurations. I found that the default WAN configuration made by my ISP includes the activation of IPv4 (basically the classic IP form that you heard of. Example: 192.0. 2.146) BUT the IPv6 (basically another form of IP that is longer. Example: 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334) was not activated and so it appeared as if it was "hidden" to the Ankama services.
After activating the IPv6, I could finally connect to my account.

Just to explain it a little better, there are 2 IP forms: IP version 4 (or IPv4) and IP version 6 (or IPv6). As I mentioned before (and given examples to), they are encoded in different forms as they are not of the same size and they are independent (some services might need your IPv4, others your IPv6. But mostly the IPv4). In this case, I think the Ankama services ask for both IPs and, as one of them was empty, they considered it "hidden". So by activating (filling) it, the problem was solved (in my case at least :p).

What I advise:
  • For the players: Don't snoop around in your router configurations unless you know what you're doing !!!! (or at least memorize the old configuration before changing it). Get in touch with your ISP to help you do this solution if you want to try it.
  • For the Ankama Team: Please Document this issue a little better on the Ankama Website as I've seen a lot of people struggle with it without a solution on the forums. (Hoping that some of them got help from the support team after submitting tickets).
  • For the Ankama Development Team: Just a suggestion, but maybe don't take the IPv6 into account when testing for masked IPs ? Or, since your goal is to lessen bots and frauds, maybe create a whole trust score system if there isn't one
(by the way, thanks all the Ankama team for keeping your games amazing for all these years biggrin )

Sorry for making this so long, I wanted to make it as detailed as possible to be clear.
Hope it helps someone in the future smile
0 0
Respond to this thread