FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Update 1.59 breaks Wakfu client on PC's with Intel integrated graphics.

By Lathlaeril - MEMBER - April 03, 2018, 13:48:47
AnkaTracker

Update 1.59 breaks Wakfu client on PC's with Intel integrated graphics.
Sorry, can't use the "report a bug" button, Wakfu Update 1.59 client doesnt get that far.

Logged this to Ankama support: REQUEST #2139123

Character name:      all - client fails to start

Date and time:          April 3rd, 2018 - any time after 1.59 rollout

Map:                           none - client fails to start

Server:                       all - wakfu update 1.59 client fails before login screen

Bug description:   

Apparently on Windows-10, all Java JRE versions NEWER than 1.8.0-update-51
refuse to use Intel-supplied integrated graphics drivers, and instead use a
Microsoft-supplied generic graphics driver on machines which use Intel's processor        integrated graphics.

The Intel-provided integrated graphics drivers typically have OpenGL version 3.x.x or later, while the Microsoft-provided "generic" graphics driver only has OpenGL 1.1.0.

Since Wakfu requires at least OpenGL 1.3.0 or later, it fails to work properly if the Microsoft "generic" graphcs drivers are used.

The reason this is coming to light now is that Wakfu client update 1.59 forces the use
of the Ankama-provided Java JRE version 1.8.0-update-162, regardless of the setting
of the Options checkbox.  

The older Wakfu clients would either use the Java JRE installed on the Windows
system (if the Options checkbox was clear), or use an Ankama-provided Java JRE,
(which with Wakfu client update 1.58 or earlier was Java JRE 1.8.0-update-45)

System seen on:
Hardware: Intel i7-2600K quad-core w/Intel processor integrated graphics
Software: Windows-10-pro 

Reproducibility process:  

Try to start wakfu client, get sound with plain white screen because its trying to use
the "generic" Microsoft-provided driver which lacks modern OpenGL. 

Screenshots:
       no point in a screenshot, its a solid blank white window, but you do hear
        the sound of the Wakfu gears grinding as it starts.

Game logs:  (full logs uploaded to Ankama support, I only show excerpts here in forum)

(1) LOG_1.58_working_transition_2-4-18-1509 
    --> this is working Wafu Update 1.58 using Ankama-embedded java.runtime.version = 1.8.0_45-b15
    this was earlier yesterday prior to the Wakfu Update 1.59 rollout, working properly because it
    was using the proper Intel-supplied graphics driver as shown in the log excerpt below:

INFO 15:10:04,715 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (ast:158) - ------- GL dump ---------
 INFO 15:10:04,715 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (ast:169) - GL_RENDERER : Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
 INFO 15:10:04,730 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (ast:170) - GL_VENDOR : Intel
 INFO 15:10:04,730 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (ast:171) - GL_VERSION : 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.4459

(2) LOG_1.59_nonworking_transition_3-4-18-0450
    --> this is NON-working Wakfu Update 1.59 using Ankama-embedded java.runtime.version = 1.8.0_162-b12
    with the Options checkbox CHECKED, gave plain blank white screen (with sound though).   Most likely
    the failure to work is due to the use of the Microsoft generic driver as shown in log excerpt below:

INFO 04:52:46,865 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (asQ:39) - ------- GL dump ---------
 INFO 04:52:46,865 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (asQ:50) - GL_RENDERER : GDI Generic
 INFO 04:52:46,865 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (asQ:51) - GL_VENDOR : Microsoft Corporation
 INFO 04:52:46,865 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (asQ:52) - GL_VERSION : 1.1.0

(3) LOG_1.59_nonworking_option_cleared_transition_3-4-18-0454
    --> this is NON-working Wakfu Update 1.59 using Ankama-embedded java.runtime.version = 1.8.0_162-b12
    even despite Options checkbox being CLEARED, which should have used Java installed on Windows system, 
    which was 1.8.0-update-51, but as noted, the Wakfu Update 1.59 client ignores the checkbox and always
    seems to use the embedded Java JRE, which again results in using the Microsoft generic driver per the
    excerpt below.   Result was the same plain blank white screen (with sound):

INFO 04:54:47,270 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (asQ:39) - ------- GL dump ---------
 INFO 04:54:47,270 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (asQ:50) - GL_RENDERER : GDI Generic
 INFO 04:54:47,270 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (asQ:51) - GL_VENDOR : Microsoft Corporation
 INFO 04:54:47,270 [AWT-EventQueue-0] (asQ:52) - GL_VERSION : 1.1.0

I did not include a log of testing this with Windows system Java JRE version 161 because the client doesn't use the system JRE anyway.

Guess that barring a miracle, I am on vacation from Wakfu.   sad

1 -1
First Ankama intervention

Hello Lathlaeril,

It seems that your graphic chipset is too old to be compatible with Windows 10 and Java 8. You can find the complete board of supported graphic drivers from Intel website here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html

Some old graphic chipsets (and probably few very old graphic cards) are unfortunately not compatible anymore and we cannot do anything about it on our end. You could try to find some drivers for your chipset that may work over windows. Otherwise, please contact the support team so they can try to find solutions with you.

See message in context
Reactions 35
Score : 10

Im with the same problem.. so i figure i cant fix it.. D:

0 -1
Score : 98

Same. But can this be fixed by Ankama?

0 0

D: i want to play... ive download the game yesterday night and now i cant play .. D:

0 0
Score : 18

Same problem here =/

0 0

There are no fix for this right? D;

0 0
Score : 48

Solution :c?

FantaDeSabores|2018-04-03 15:44:13
well its on maintenance again.. so i hope it will fix these error

Ohhh very good biggrin Thanks for the info
1 0

well its on maintenance again.. so i hope it will fix these error

1 0

Hello Lathlaeril,

It seems that your graphic chipset is too old to be compatible with Windows 10 and Java 8. You can find the complete board of supported graphic drivers from Intel website here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html

Some old graphic chipsets (and probably few very old graphic cards) are unfortunately not compatible anymore and we cannot do anything about it on our end. You could try to find some drivers for your chipset that may work over windows. Otherwise, please contact the support team so they can try to find solutions with you.

So we cant play anymore? :S

0 0
Score : 1

oh no...

0 0
Score : 1248

Lol, I guess this is the end of the Wakfu line for me officially. After moons of disappointment this finally/actually happens. From Owlie's response above I guess this is really goodbye, Cheers.

0 0
Score : 2016

so you need to buy either GT 1030 or RX 540 now to play wakfu
(those 2 are probably the cheapest graphic card now

0 -1
Score : 744

I've been researching hardware upgrades ever since I found out the beta 1.59 and my "sandy bridge" based system weren't getting along.   sad

A good resource for researching video cards is 
Newegg (online vendor)

as they have a very good search and good photo's of the actual products so you can see what will "fit" physically into a system.

Looked at GTX 1030 et al, so far most of them seem to need a PCIe v3.0 slot... my old "sandy bridge" micro-ATX motherboard only has PCIe v2.0 slots.  ohmy

Worse yet, it has exactly two PCIe slots, an X16 that a video card would go into, and the next slot over is an X1 that already has my WiFi network card in it.    So, two-slot "wide" video cards or cards whose cooling fans overhang the next slot are not an option.  Of the GTX 1030 cards I've looked at, some claim to be "single-slot" but if you look at photo's of them, they all have cooling fans that overhang the next slot over.   :unsure:

Which boils down to looking for this hen's tooth:  A PCIe v2.0 card that fits into a single-slot and has a slim enough cooler that it does not overhang the next slot over, and has properly supported Windows-10-pro/64-bit drivers compatible with Java 8.  :wacko:

Using Newegg's search-engine turned up the following "possibles":

GeForce GT 710
GeForce GT 730 

There seem to be single-slot-wide PCIe v2.0 versions of these, which claim to support Windows-10 and  claim support for OpenGL 4.4, however I have no personal experience with either type card and am unsure if these older GPU's would support any sort of gaming.   :unsure:  

Which leaves me rolling the dice on an approximately $120 bet... (price of a video card plus shipping) to try and find out if it works... or comes up snake-eyes...

0 0
Score : 2145

Don't know if this can fix the problem, but you can launch wakfu using batch files inside the game folder.
Look for files win32.bat or win64.bat (win32 will use java version from wakfu, win64 will use system installed java) inside Ankama\Wakfu\game folder.
good luck.

0 0

Hacking the batch files probably violates Ankama's ToU though.   See section 5.2.2 of the Terms of Use.   And it appears that Wakfu update 1.59 requires at least Java 1.8.0-update-161, which won't use the Intel graphics drivers and fails anyway.

0 0

Did you try changing from S.O?
I think it's a bad synergy between intel HD with Java 8 and win10

PS: Sorry English bad (use translator)

1 0

I want to try it, when ive changed my SO ill post here the results

0 0
Score : 152

Urgent.
I got white blank screen. Its has loading sound.

1 0

Fyi - that is exactly the screenshot I didn't bother including in my original posting.... sorry to say this "Bankruptcy" but you are now a member of the
"vacation from Wakfu" club.  sad

1 -1

FantaDeSabores|2018-04-04 10:20:20
Quiero probarlo, cuando he cambiado mi mensaje SO enfermo aquí los resultados

I changed to w7 ultimate (had w10)
and it worked for me, install java 8 ...
and use 3DP Chip to update my Intel Graphic (step from Open GL 1.1 to Open GL 2.2)
and he walked wakfu again smile

PD: Sorry bad inglish xd
1 0

Muchisimas gracias! Voy a instalar pues y hacerlo.

Thx for the reply! I'll try now :3

0 0
Score : 7423

Solution for getting Wakfu running on Windows 10 can be accessed Here,
  It's fairly simple enough as well. smile

2 -1

Interesting that when one attempts to download that "tool" file, McAfee screams "virus"??   No thanks.   :wacko:

1 -3

ive downloaded these 2 archives and fix it manual. It works! so Thx!

1 -1

Good to know that your issue got resolved without an OS change. smile Happy to help.

0 -1

It kinda does. tongue lol

Jenarall|2018-04-04 12:57:01
Let me know if someone actually tries this and it works, Lol.
1 -1
Score : 517

After some months I am returning to the game and got that error. Just saying that taking the first method worked for me.
Thanks!

P.S.: I am very sad with the Ankama position about this issue. Anyway... It's working for me now.

0 0
Respond to this thread