FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Pity System (I sure LOVE RNG, RNG my beloved, God Eca take the wheel!)

By ISoulKillerI#6860 - MEMBER - May 27, 2022, 12:50:55

Hello, it's me!! Masked Masker/Sohan/The dude who hasn't been actually playing the game since the enchantment system. Even if I can't actively play the game, I still do care about it a lot. This game is my childhood and I would only love to see it improve. If you know me then it's obvious the title is just sarcasm, in reality, I despise RNG. Being punished by things that are completely out of my control triggers me so much though I can tolerate it. The old system wasn't free of RNG either, the good gear always had abysmal drop rates but at least the moment it dropped, the grind for it was pretty much done. Right now it is just a cycle of an RNG fueled unending grind, and I respect how some may enjoy those and how it can be a good thing for the devs, effectively making the grind infinite to keep players playing, ever striving for a chance to improve their gear. 

So what is even the point? Why am I writing this? I'm not here to either bash or praise the RNG of the game. Though I just have a suggestion to make it more "tolerable". First, why would you want to make it more tolerable? The mass RNG with no guarantee can be a big turn-off for many players, new and returning alike. New players tend to get quickly intimidated when faced with such punishing systems and realize how long it can possibly take to catch up, leading to many new players quitting early. 

If we really are giving in to the gacha, we can as well take a system that is universally liked in every gacha game. A pity system; in Wakfu's case a pity system for enchanting the gear. The advantage of the pity system is; it makes the player not feel like their attempt to get another one of the items to get extra rolls completely wasted. With the pity system, not a single roll you do is wasted. Each one is a small step to get a better chance on the combination you desire.

How will it work? Here I will explain how adding the pity system would affect all three of the rolling options.

1) Number of sockets: The simplest one. Instead of just having a static low % chance of the gear succeeding to increase, with each failed attempt make the % chance of success increases. How much the success chance increases would of course be set by the devs.

2) Color of sockets: The locking system already helps this one a lot. What the pity system would add is to make a combination that is currently existing and had already been seen on the item unable to be repeated when rolled. Make a list of "Already seen patterns" and let the player access it and delete a pattern from there if they want to, if they didn't want a combination before and they want it now. If the player has seen every single pattern and proceeds to roll anyways, don't let them give an error message instead and tell them to delete the combination they want to get from the list.

3) Order of sockets: The worst property to roll by far! You can even lose your sublimations on your item, why is it even a thing?? Please just add something similar to the locking system from colors to this first. If you have for example a RBGW item and you lock BGW which you have a sublimation on, changing the order should only put the R on the start to the end turning the item into BGWR. As for the pity system, similar to colors. Make a combination that is currently existing and had already been done in an item unable to be repeated. Make a list of "Already seen patterns" and let the player access it and delete a pattern from there if they want to, if they didn't want a combination before and they want it now.  If the player has seen every single pattern and proceeds to roll anyways, don't let them give an error message instead and tell them to delete the combination they want to get from the list.

As for the disadvantages of the pity system in Wakfu, yes it would make the gearing way easier than it is right now, letting people achieve the best version of their builds and actually get the perfect combination with way less grind. Effectively opposing the reason this system is in place but after all this time, is this really a bad thing? Maybe this is my opinion but giving players an almost impossible goal and then asking them to strive forever to achieve that feels only disheartening to me, and would make me and many others simply not want to bother with it. In return; knowing that that goal is more achievable one way or another be it by luck or by forcing the pity system would actually give the players more motivation to actually play and grind the things they need.

So does this make the game too easy then? Statis 50 runs are already more than possible with non-perfect gear.  If that becomes a problem what can be done is that, alongside the pity system actually nerf the bonuses you get from your sockets. Effectively making every gear weaker but also making them more obtainable at the same time.

Thanks for reading my suggestion for the game I haven't even played for a long time. Please feel free to discuss or ask questions in the comments and have a great day!

17 -1
Reactions 4
Score : 298

I think it would be nice if we could lock sockets when rerolling, like having 4 locks for each change.

So for example you want a full green and you already have 2 greens, you could lock these 2 and roll for the other 2 sockets.

And I also think changing the order of colors should be as we pleased and not wasting any charge on it. There's a lot of RNG for it to HAVE the colors you want, adding the cost of swapping them is incredibly high.

That's part of why I left the game too, it seemed like no matter how many hours I grinded, it was all on nothing because of it, and it turned out frustrating me so much to the point of leaving.

5 0
Score : 1556

Good ideas, mr. Sohan/The dude
It's actually hilarious how Wakfu rivals Korean mmo, in amount of rng, in gear progression 
1) it can totally work, as it already is a thing in that korean mmo i mentioned

And actually seeing % you are working with would be nice in Wakfu too
2) i think colors should be rolled one by one
lets say you want 4 red, in that case you roll first socket, with 1in3 (33,3%) chance to get red (with additional x% chance for it to be golden socket), then you roll second socket, and so on..
That  would be more fair and less rng 
3) rolling order becomes irrelevant, if you can just roll colors one by one ^ mellow
2 0
Score : 12209

Thank you Sohan, really cool!

3 0
Score : 1412

i like it, but i only have 1 issue with the locking system and rolling 1 slot at a time. whats preventing players from rolling and locking 4 white slots on every item with 36 white slot set? unless you can only have a cap of white slots, for example if you can only have 15 white slots total.

0 0
Respond to this thread