FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

It's Time For A Professions Revamp [PART TWO]

By lunarmurchen - MEMBER - November 27, 2020, 00:38:22

If you missed the first post about this topic, click here.

Disclaimer: The concepts discussed in this post and on the included Excel spreadsheet have been conceived over the last few years, encompassing the game experience before Wakfu’s nations (Amakna, Sufokia, Bonta, and Brakmar) were remade to be much smaller (Update 1.6.2, released December 2018). There are an infinite number of ways by which professions could be improved; the purpose of this post is to prompt discussion about professions and to share players’ ideas and thoughts about the profession experience with the Wakfu team. It’s fun to think about what could be! happy

----
UPDATE 15 DEC 2020: Intimidator's comment helped me realize that I should have clarified what the "imaginary" new profession core component recipes would look like. At the beginning of each profession section, I have added examples of what the current core component recipe is, followed by the suggested (potential) new recipe. Current in-game recipes that are referenced for this comparison are all from the coarse tier (level 5). I hope that this clears up any confusion about these suggested changes and helps players better visualize what the professions experience could be like.
----

Murchen’s Hellafresh Wakfu Professions Revamp: Imaginary Edition
[Excel spreadsheet here]

I generally don’t throw an idea out into the void without an understanding of how it could be realized, so I made this spreadsheet to play around with concepts for revamping Wakfu’s professions. There are a number of things that are common to MMOs that Wakfu doesn’t have (one example being vendor NPCs). These things greatly influence how a process like profession crafting is structured. I think that lack of vendor NPCs could be considered an asset of Wakfu, as the ability to level in all professions basically allows any player to be self-sufficient… but that’s not a core value of a MMO, is it?

The spreadsheet has seven tabs labelled according to the specific profession(s) addressed on each sheet. The first tab, Gathering Prof. Overview, displays the obtainable resources belonging to each gathering profession organized by profession type and level. The second tab, Crafting Prof. Overview, shows each crafting profession’s core component(s) and their respective recipes. The remaining tabs are theoretical “recipe books” for the Farmer, Fisherman, Herbalist, Lumberjack, and Miner gathering professions. In putting this spreadsheet together, I worked hard to keep the six core points mentioned in the Part One post as the foundation for proposed changes, with one addition of my own – I wanted the new combinations of items in recipes to offer an opportunity for the player to learn something about the real world, such as a general understanding of how fermented beverages are made.

In this imaginary revamp, changes to the core components of the gathering professions are as follows:

• The Farmer profession has twice the number of crops they can grow (56 crops versus the current 28). In addition to flour, farmers also craft butter, cheeses, fruit juices, rennet, and sugar.
  • The Fisherman profession no longer crafts tiramisoup. Fishermen craft fish sauce, roasted seaweed, isinglass, and fish glue.
  • The Herbalist profession has twice the number of plants they can grow (56 plants versus the current 28). Herbalists no longer craft string or canoon powder. Herbalists craft tinctures, bouquets garnis, honey, beeswax, and potions.
  • The Lumberjack profession has twice the number of trees they can grow (56 trees versus the current 28). In addition to planks, lumberjacks also craft coffee, gruit, and fermented beverages.
  • The Miner profession crafts steel, bombs, canoon powder, kamas, and polished gemstones.

The Trapper profession core components remain the same, except they no longer craft the Littlest Pet Shed.

Changes to the core components of the crafting professions are:
  • The Armorer profession crafts gorgets in addition to plate.
  • The Chef profession no longer crafts spice. Chefs now craft roux, lard, caramel, and mixed beverages.
  • The Handyman profession no longer crafts orbs. In addition to brackets, handymen also craft nails and finishing wax.
  • The Jeweler profession no longer crafts gems. Jewelers craft wire and molds.
  • The Leather Dealer profession crafts leather straps in addition to leather.
  • The Tailor profession no longer crafts fiber. Tailors craft thread and cloth.
  • The Weapons Master profession crafts rods and bows in addition to handles.

The Baker profession’s core components remain the same, with the addition of an ability to craft beers, breadcrumbs, and yeast.

Let’s take a look at each profession individually now as we consider the suggested changes in greater detail.

The Gathering Professions

Farmer

Current Farmer Core Component Recipe
x5 primary farmer crop + x5 secondary farmer crop = x1 flour
Example: x5 wheat straw + x5 artichoke = x1 coarse flour

Proposed New Farmer Core Component Recipe
x3 new OR in-game level-appropriate farmer crop OR lumberjack's gatherable tree resource = x1 flour
Example: x3 potato = x1 coarse flour

When I first started putting together the new crop list for farmers, the nations were much bigger than they are now. Today’s nations have three to four sections each, with one section being the nation’s capital city and therefore containing no workable land. Before December 2018, the nations had upwards of five sections with plenty of faming plots to spare. Though players have lost much in the way of farming territory, I stand by doubling the number of crops in the game for two reasons: (1) More crop variety creates a higher likelihood that a player will find at least one of the crop they need, and (2) more crops means more diverse items can be made by all of the professions. We’ll talk more about number two in the crafting professions section, but number one is a very real issue faced by players on a daily basis. With the implementation of temporary protection on planted resources, players are able to grow crops without fear of poachers, but this is only helpful if the player is first able to find a seed to plant. Oh, and if the in-game weather is in your favor. The weather impacts the planting and growth rate of plants, so if you successfully plant a crop and the weather is not favorable for the plant, the timed protection can run out even before the plant has cycled through its life stages. All of these factors have turned the farmer profession into the adventurer’s equivalent of a part-time job: if you have the seeds to plant, you plant them and wait, but you must remain near your crop if you don’t want someone else to reap it. If you’re starting out as a farmer and you have no seeds… well, pray to Sadida that the crop you need is somewhere in its proper area. Adding a second crop to each 5-level tier could even the odds when players set to work on the farming profession.

The farmer’s additional core recipes (butter, cheeses, fruit juices, rennet, and sugar) offer players more options when it comes to levelling the farmer profession. Can’t find that seed you need? You can craft a different core recipe instead of losing your farmer momentum. As mentioned at the top of the Farmer Recipes tab in the spreadsheet, ingredients with an asterisk require the player to level a different profession or fetch an ingredient from a monster in order to craft the recipe. A glance at any of the “recipe book” tabs in the spreadsheet shows that there are A LOT of asterisks, and I think there should be a lot. A good game ties aspects of gameplay to aspects of supporting content, and since there are not many points in the plot of Wakfu where crafting is required, the gathering professions must share components not only with the crafting professions, but also with the other gathering professions. Hence, cheeses are made by farmers, but cheese recipes require the miner’s finest sea salt and sometimes even the handyman’s empty barrel!

You may also have noticed that the farmer’s flour recipes have gotten an overhaul. No longer are players asked to grow two different crops to craft one flour. Crops needed to craft flour are no longer nonsensical (exquisite flour at level 105 is currently made using 5 pumpkin and 5 strawberry… WHAT). I think a player should be able to guess what crop they will need to grow for the flour of a certain level bracket without having to check the encyclopedia, which taps into the player’s real-world knowledge. I’m all about Wakfu players feeling clever while playing Wakfu.

I took the liberty of shifting certain crops that are currently in the game to different level brackets in order to open up the opportunity for more diverse recipes in the early levels of the crafting professions. I also renamed certain in-game crops (example: iced wildberry instead of iced cranberry) and kept the real-world names for the rest to avoid confusion. In my opinion, the highest levels of the crafting professions should be like the lovely garnishes on an elegant cake, in that they ought to accentuate the recipes and items that came before and should increase players’ accessibility to and enjoyment of the endgame. That’s why cacao beans can’t be grown until level 125… if the adventurers get their chocolate too soon, they’ll just sit at home in contentment and there will be no one to raid the dungeons!

Fisherman

Current Fisherman Core Component Recipe
x5 primary fisherman fish + x5 secondary fisherman fish = x1 tiramisoup
Example: x5 breaded fish + x5 bow meow fish = x1 coarse tiramisoup

Proposed New Fisherman Core Component Recipe
x3 in-game level-appropriate fish + x1 water = x1 sauce
Example: x3 breaded fish + x1 water = x1 coarse sauce

Though not as contested as mining nodes, fishing spots do experience the same overcrowding effect. I’ve noted this particularly in cases where fish only spawn in one area and have a very limited number of spots (such as crabby anchovies and loots) or in places where a fish is in high demand (salamanders, vandames). And don’t even get me started about the fish that are only available on the outskirts of the map in the middle of the ocean (*deep sigh*). Without an expansion to the nations or other serious increase in the number of fishing spots/decrease of the fishing spot spawn timer, players must dedicate a substantial amount of time to levelling the fisherman profession. The fisherman profession also boasts the worst output of experience gained for time put in, with even high-level rare fish giving less than 1000 experience per catch (which should be balanced better, but that’s a whole other topic). As the kiddos say, that’s a big oof. So what do we do? We offer players multiple ways to use their fish to level the fisherman profession. The spice component gets cordially returned to the Star Wars universe and replaced with an actually useful cooking ingredient, fish sauce. Fishermen also can use a different kind of fish to craft fish glue, which is used in recipes for the armorer, weapons master, leather dealer, and handyman professions (in-game craftable paintings, anyone?). Just like the farmer’s flour, fishermen don’t have to catch ten times the fish for one core component recipe, as the number of materials required have been manageably balanced. I debated about whether to include the core component of isinglass but ended up keeping it because it’s a suitable substitute for gelatin (blancmange joke chef recipe incoming!). Including a form of gelatin allows for the possibility of recipes for candy such as marshmallows or for other desserts, like ice cream. Though low on integration with the other gathering professions, fisherman proves its importance by producing key ingredients for the crafting professions.

Herbalist

Current Herbalist Core Component Recipe
x5 primary herbalist plant + x5 secondary herbalist plant = x1 string
Example: x5 crowned thistle + x5 iriss flower = x1 coarse string

Proposed New Herbalist Core Component Recipe
x3 new OR in-game level-appropriate herbalist plant + x1 [everclear]* = x1 tincture
Example: x3 crowned thistle + x1 [everclear] = x1 coarse tincture
*Everclear is in brackets here because, in theory, if the item were to be implemented into the game, the name would be changed to avoid its immediate connection to alcohol. [Everclear] is one of the lumberjack's proposed new core components under the type Fermented Beverages. (See the lumberjack section below for a more detailed explanation.)

Those of you who are familiar with Dofus may recognize where I’m trying to go with this imaginary herbalist revamp. As with farmer, herbalists have a greater number of plants they can grow, with the main intent being to increase the likelihood that players will find a plant that they can gather seeds from. The tincture core component acts as a base ingredient for the herbalist’s main craft. Instead of making string, herbalists now have an arsenal of potions they can create, which frees tailors to finally NOT craft fiber (crafting fiber and string is redundant), is more consistent with a fantasy setting, and allows players to draw similarities between Wakfu’s herbalist profession and Dofus’s alchemist profession. These potions also require the player to level up the trapper and lumberjack professions in order to craft the materials that go into potion-making. What do these potions do? Well… whatever the Wakfu team would decide they do! I think herbalists’s potions could heal HP, but perhaps not as much as, say, a chef or baker recipe could. Or, herbalists’s potions could offer temporary crafting and gathering buffs on a slowly increasing scale (similar to the effects of the Exceptional Artipotion or the Swift Harvesting and Swift Crafting Potions). The Chef recipes Anticipation Potion, Cadaverous Potion, and Armoured Potion have been changed to be herbalist recipes and are shown on the spreadsheet under the names Xelor’s Anticipation Potion (level 105 craft), Sram’s Cadaverous Potion (level 95 craft), and Enutrof’s Armoured Potion (level 95 craft). I decided to add a potion for every class in Wakfu because why not? (Can you guess which “gods” are referenced by the unique potions craftable at level 125?) These special potions require a rare material from at least two of the other gathering professions and could be made so that each one can only be consumed by a player of the specific class named by the potion (in my dream, the recipes of these potions would only be obtainable through class-specific quests… but let’s not get ahead of ourselves). I had a little fun naming the potions for the divine tier (hehehe); perhaps these endgame potions could only be used by players above a certain level and would offer sizeable combat buffs for three fights. I certainly know the beasts on Osamosa can take a good beating, and many adventurers are discovering the same.

I figure I should also note at this point that the recipes detailed on the spreadsheet are just examples for thought. Any recipe could be changed to add or remove ingredients. Striking a balance between all aspects of recipe building (time players spend gathering ingredients, availability of ingredients, number and type of ingredients required, etc) is a difficult task.

In addition to tincture and potions, herbalists get the unique ability to gather honey. This would entail adding a honey-dispensing item to the game (just like a well is used to dispense water). Let’s say that the item looked like a cute cartoonish beehive on a pole. When interacting with the beehive, herbalists would gain the item honeycomb, which can then be crafted into honey or beeswax, both of which are used by multiple crafting professions. Since a beehive is not technically a natural resource (like a tree or an ore), instead of Cap’n Atcha, perhaps a “bee queen monster” could draw players into an easy combat and upon defeat she would reward 40 honeycombs. I intended for beeswax to be a required ingredient for many leather dealer recipes, at the least, so players could sell beeswax and get a return on it. The same could be said for the herbalist’s bouquets garnis. If you don’t know, a bouquet garni is basically a bundle of fresh herbs (and sometimes spices) used for preparing many different dishes varying from soups to meats. These would be used very regularly in chef recipes. Hopefully, a demand for the simpler core component ingredients on the market could allow players of all levels more opportunities to earn kamas.

Lumberjack

Current Lumberjack Core Component Recipe
x5 primary lumberjack tree wood + x5 secondary lumberjack tree wood = x1 plank
Example: x5 ash wood + x5 hazel wood = x1 coarse plank

Proposed New Lumberjack Core Component Recipe
x3 new OR in-game level-appropriate lumberjack tree wood = x1 plank
Example: x3 ash wood = x1 coarse plank

Again, as we take a look at the resources summary on the Gathering Prof. Overview tab of the spreadsheet, we see that lumberjacks have twice as many trees that they can grow. I… don’t think this is plausible with the nations in their current form because of how severely limited tree planting squares are, particularly in the early stages of each nation (Why are you only allowed to plant a max of fifty trees in Emelka… which is 90% forest???) In a perfect scenario, the nations would receive a grand expansion that builds from the best aspects of both the pre- and post-December 2018 update to alleviate bottlenecking and lag issues caused by the exponential population increase. Since we’re already pretending, let’s also imagine that there are plentiful spots to plant trees. There are trees in the game that bear gatherable fruit, so adding a greater variety of fruit trees allows lumberjacks to craft fruit juices, which are a primary ingredient in the mixed beverages crafted by chefs. Lumberjacks can also make coffee and gruit, the latter of which is used to make… oh.

Oh dear. Oh my. Oh goodness.

Are those… alcoholic fermented beverages???!?!?

Let’s get real for a moment. Ankama. Wakfu team. We have Energizing Cocktail. We have Royal Cocktail. We have Sporey Cocktail. We have Suxxors on the Beach. We have Hugh Thvull’s Liquor. We have the Pandawa goddess and class and the bamboo milk-infused questlines of Pandalucia (à la the infamous Milk Bars of The Legend of Zelda fame). We have fantasy inns and taverns. We have St. Potrick’s, which hams up St. Patrick’s festivities almost as hard as we do here in the United States. I have no idea how Wakfu has managed to keep its PEGI 12 rating all these years. Even ToT himself has said that he thinks that the story told by the Wakfu animated series has matured along with its audience. I think it’s time to stop tiptoeing around and bring some real liquid science into the game. Do we have to explicitly state that these lumberjack recipes are used to craft *ahem* alcohol? Nope! These are just fermented beverages~ that act as base ingredients for the chef profession’s mixed drinks (don’t worry, we’ll get there). You can see which beverages from the real world were selected for this list in the Reference Recipe column. I tried to cover as many bases in “mixology” as I could to allow for the possibility of a diverse range of mixed drinks to be introduced. On their own, the fermented beverages cannot be consumed… or can they? Their effect could be tied to the effect given to the completed mixed beverage, or it could be a completely brand-new effect.

And of course, lumberjacks can craft their usual planks, which are used by handymen, armorers, tailors, jewelers, and weapons masters. The recipes for planks have been simplified (we do not combine two different types of wood to create a plank – recipes should not rely on dumb video game logic). In my opinion, the lumberjack profession is a shining example of a gathering profession that could get players excited about diving into the crafting professions (Player: “Oh wow, I can make [club soda]! I wonder what that’s for?”).

Miner

Current Miner Core Component Recipe
x5 primary miner ore + x5 secondary miner ore = x1 steel
Example: x5 primitive iron + x5 finest sea salt = x1 coarse steel

Proposed New Miner Core Component Recipe
x3 in-game level-appropriate miner ore = x1 steel
Example: x3 primitive iron = x1 coarse steel

I hate having to state the obvious, since it’s already been said several times over on multiple different posts on this forum, but here it is: The state of mining on the Rubilax server is an endless nightmare. Mining nodes MUST be revisited even before a professions revamp can be conceived. There are not enough nodes to meet the demand of a server with as many regular players as Rubilax now has. The mines of the nations are barely big enough to tolerate the number of monsters that are optimal (*cough* Brakmar Mine Galleries and Amakna Mine Galleries *cough*); add to this the number of players in the mine who are there to fight monsters/hunt hordes/enter dungeons/questing AND the number of players who are there to mine/waiting to mine/being impatient and mining without regard for any other player. I imagine that once the fourth season of the Wakfu animated series is released, the population of Rubilax will swell to numbers even higher than they are now. Please, Wakfu team, work on a solution to this.

Now, let’s go ahead and get a few of the miner’s core components out of the way before we talk kama minting. In this hypothetical revamp, miners continue to be the profession that polishes gemstones. I think an argument could be made to recolor and rename certain ores that are available in the game (example: double karat sapphires could be a monster drop rather than an ore) and to add more droppable/mineable gemstones (examples: jade, seashells, malachite, opal, feldspar, orichalcum). More gemstones would mean more opportunities for miners to level the mining profession outside of mining ores. Bombs are no longer craftable at level 0 because humus and flowers do not an explosive make. Miners craft canoon powder with a new recipe and bombs at a level more appropriate to the dungeon that requires them. Steel is a given and again, just like all the other tiered profession core components so far, the recipes for steel have been simplified.

…And now for kama minting.

When the server merge happened, many players received free kamas via the economy balancing principle used by the Wakfu team. I’m not here to argue whether that was a good idea or not, but I am here to say that your average player enjoyed the slight increase in their funds while the players on the richer end of the spectrum received an enormous injection of free kamas. If you were rolling in the dough before the server merge, you’ve now found yourself in need of two or three or more extra vaults in Enurado for all the free dough Ankama sent your way. Kelba’s market reflects this, and even the price values of certain items in the nation markets reflect this, too. To allow starting and less-rich players the chance to build enough wealth to have nice things, I think the non-Haven World kama recipes should have their kama output increased, and the Haven World kama recipes should have their kama output decreased. Notice that the spreadsheet also lists two different combination options for the same kama minting recipe. The non-Haven World kama recipes should be expanded to include more ores. This could disperse the concentration of players who focus on mining ores just to craft kamas.

Taking away players’ wealth is no way to balance the economy, but we can attempt to close the gap between the average player’s wealth and the wealth of the much richer players.

Trapper

Current Trapper Core Component Recipe
x5 primary gatherable level-appropriate trapper resource + x5 secondary gatherable level-appropriate trapper resource = x1 essence
Example: x5 larva mucus + x5 bow meow hairs = x1 coarse essence, ALSO, x5 tofu feather + x5 gobball wool = x1 coarse essence

Proposed New Trapper Core Component Recipe
x3 gatherable level-appropriate trapper resource + x1 [everclear] + x1 level-appropriate isinglass = x1 essence
Example: x3 larva mucus OR bow meow hairs OR tofu feather OR gobball wool + x1 [everclear] + x1 Astrub isinglass = x1 coarse essence

The easiest and fastest of the gathering professions to level, trapper is pretty solid as it is, but our comprehensive (and imaginary) revamp would include rewriting the recipes for trapper’s core component: essences. These recipes need to be revisited for clarity, balancing, and should take into consideration all the items from the new monster families that have been added to the game over the years, as well as the different items that can be gathered from a monster when it is alive and when it is just a corpse on the field. A good example to look at would be the imperfect tier. There is currently only one recipe to craft an imperfect essence: 5 dried dung (from moogrrs), 5 grassy moss (from cracklers). Logic dictates that there ought to be at least one more recipe option that includes the gatherable trapper material from the field plants monster family. I think a rewritten recipe formula for the trapper’s imperfect essence could be as follows:

x3 country slobber OR dried dung OR grassy moss, x1 [everclear], x1 Amakna isinglass

Of course, the everclear and isinglass come from the lumberjack and fisherman professions, respectively. Rewriting trapper’s essence recipes would have to keep in mind that there are certain monster families that do not have a gatherable resource (other than monster seeds) when they are alive (ex. shushus), dead (ex. exploding sunflower of the field plants family), or both (ex. skeletons); some monster families simply do not leave a corpse behind (ex. monks, Calamar Island pirates); other monster families have the same gatherable resource when they are alive and dead (ex. bworks). Ideally, the rewritten trapper recipes would prompt the player to explore the world of the game and fight many different monsters.

Putting the Gathering Professions Together

I did my best to try to cover many angles of the MMO experience, Wakfu’s world and lore, the Wakfu team’s (perceived) access to creative resources, and rewarding game industry mechanics when putting together these “new” gathering professions lists. I admit that eighty-four grown resources is a big number, but the game already has beautiful plant sprites (like the delphes inium, it’s gorgeous!) that could be recolored and repurposed (ex. wheat, barley, oats, and rye currently share sprites). Every profession had the number of raw materials required to craft all individual recipes decreased. This is, in my opinion, the most painful aspect of the current profession system. Players spend sizeable amounts of time gathering resources, only to gain a poor return. It prompts players to feel defeated and some choose not to level certain gathering professions at all. Furthermore, I think the gathering professions ought to have recipes that depend on one another, to encourage players to look into levelling more than just one or two. Even if a player were to choose to specialize in one gathering profession, the raw material requirement decrease means that players who are working those professions no longer have a need to hoard the stacks of core components they create because of the ease in crafting them; our one-profession player can visit the local market board or a haven bag and find exactly what they need up for sale. We can further encourage players to sell their excess components by overhauling the crafting professions, which is the vital topic that we’ll be tackling in the next section.

The Crafting Professions

Now I know if you’ve already taken a good look at the Crafting Prof. Overview spreadsheet, you’ve probably been eye-balling the recipe formula sections for each crafting profession with interest. This would be the most grueling part of a professions revamp: rewriting recipes for pieces of crafted gear. It doesn’t take a university degree to figure out that the current gear recipes for EVERY crafting profession follow no recognizable pattern between them (except for the recipes for Osamosa gear). One item will call for souper-glou and trapper essence, while another item of the same type and in the same level bracket will require orbs and powder, and yet another similar item will call for an unholy amount of rare fish and Ogrest’s tears (RIP Sufokia Ring). And I haven’t even mentioned the endless number of recipes that do not require the profession’s core component or require ingredients that make. No. SENSE. It’s enough of an effort on the part of players to put in the necessary work to gather materials, but needing to constantly refer to the professions tab/encyclopedia is a regular reminder that… well… the professions weren’t taken seriously when the recipes were created. It’s one thing to include a gag recipe or two, but when every recipe reads like a joke, it skews the player’s view of professions and ruins their sense of immersion. For a world as deeply loved by its fans as the World of Twelve is, it deserves better. The players deserve better. And YOU, Wakfu team, deserve better, because building a formula that can be applied across each crafting profession makes adding new gear and weapons to the game simpler. Putting in the work to revamp the professions and doing it right would give you a seamless system that can accommodate new gear and other items with ease.

I’m not gonna go through the complete process of how I came up with these formulas. That was hours and hours and hours of comparing and contrasting gear recipes to each other, with the resources for that level bracket, to the player’s accessibility to monster families, with weather mechanics, with the state of the game’s economy, to player testimony on the forums, etc, etc. I honestly think these formulas should be further improved upon, even with all the work I’ve already put into them. With that said, these formulas were built with four primary goals in mind: (1) The recipe must encourage the player to engage with the monster families of an appropriate level for the item to be crafted (completing a dungeon, fulfilling hunter quests, fighting monsters in the field, etc), (2) The materials called for in the recipe have to make sense and MUST utilize at least one of the core components made by that specific profession AND at least one core component from another of the crafting professions (Exception: Weapons Master: Cards), (3) The recipe formula should be composed in such a way as to easily allow the addition of other types of resources if necessary, and (4) The recipe formula should be able to be applied to ALL of the crafting professions recipes and be appropriate for the item’s rarity (with the exception of the baker, chef, and handyman professions, which should not have monster resources as core ingredients). I also wanted there to be considerably less reliance on powder as a required material. That stuff gets used up like water, and it wouldn’t make sense to include it in a formula for a rare or even mythical rarity item because these items are crafted by players from level 5 to 215. Requiring powder in throwaway recipes like the Rare rarity Kapow Ring or the Mythical rarity Bwork Sword is a waste, in my opinion. Players of that level probably haven’t even begun crushing resources. Formulas need consistency to work, so I think only items of Legendary, Epic, and Relic rarity ought to require powder. I have similar thoughts about Ogrest’s tears. I think tears should go towards souvenir recipes only (their rarity color is even light blue!). Since Ogrest’s tears are generally required in sizeable amounts, and the average combat with a (randomly spawned) tear nets you an average of three tears, the number of recipes they are required for should be decreased. The hope would be that a professions revamp would also see a balancing of the number of items needed to complete a recipe, so the need for hundreds of a material just for one recipe would be done away with OR be made reasonable for the item to be crafted.

As an aside, I’m not a big fan of asking players to sacrifice stacks of gear in a recipe. That kind of thing encourages hoarding, so outside of using a piece of gear in a recipe to upgrade it, I don’t think random gear items should be a material. Of course there are exceptions to everything, so I could see the master seals requiring the sacrifice of a few choice pieces of crafted gear, almost as if the player turned them in for inspection and the “approval” gets them the master seal. That’s where the creative thinking comes in~

Armorer

Current Armorer Core Component Recipe
x5 primary miner's ore + x5 secondary miner's ore = x1 plate
Example: x5 primitive iron + x5 finest sea salt = x1 coarse plate

Proposed New Armorer Core Component Recipes
x4 level-appropriate miner's steel + x4 level-appropriate souper-glou + x2 level-appropriate leather dealer's leather = x1 plate
Example: x4 coarse steel + x4 coarse souper-glou + x2 coarse leather = x1 coarse plate

x2 level-appropriate miner's steel + x1 level-appropriate tailor's thread + x2 level-appropriate leather dealer's leather strap = x1 gorget
Example: x2 coarse steel + x1 coarse thread + x2 coarse leather strap = x1 coarse gorget

Why does Armorer craft plate from raw ores? I have no idea. My best guess would be that it’s a throwback to the period of Wakfu history when players had to choose which profession to specialize in. Some things are best left to history, and I think this aspect of the armorer profession qualifies. Our “new” armorer’s plate recipe utilizes the steel made by the miner, and this is a theme you’re going to be seeing a lot in our imaginary crafting professions revamp: the core component recipes of the crafting professions will depend upon the crafted items of the gathering professions. Furthermore, revamping core component recipes that require materials that crossover with each other (such as the current system’s miner’s steel and armorer’s plate) is a big part of fine-tuning Wakfu’s professions. The other two ingredients in the recipe for plate are processed leather from the leather dealer profession and, wouldn’t you know it, souper-glou. I think glou is one of the most haphazardly implemented resources in Wakfu, and I think it should be pulled from being required raw in most recipes (what adventurer wants to wield a weapon made mostly of glou?!) and instead put to good use in the core component recipes of the crafting professions. Plate is the key base component for the armorer’s crafted breastplates and shields.

The armorer’s other core component is the gorget (or collar, if you like). Historically, the gorget secured the pauldrons of a suit of armor. As you can probably guess, our gorget here is the key base component for the armorer’s crafted epaulettes. Armorers can craft a gorget out of steel from the miner, thread from the tailor, and leather straps from the leather dealer.

Three items of note for the armorer are the Monkey King Epaulettes, the Mori Memento, and the Otomai’s Disciple Armor, which are the armorer’s craftable relics. I think the first two recipes should require resources from the monsters that are associated with the item (kannibals, sharks, tropikokos, and anger plants for the Monkey King Epaulettes, boohemoth and northern chafers for the Mori Memento) and the Otomai’s Disciple Armor should require monster resources from the monster families whose levels fall between 80 and 100 (examples include crobaks, scaras, bliblis, monks, chafers, striches, etc). It’s silly to ask players to return to Astrub and fight tofus when the items they will get from them are no longer of any use to a player of 95 and the items cannot be recycled at a decent exchange rate. Instead, recipes like this should prompt players to be interacting with the monsters that are of a level similar to the item being crafted. I know I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but the current state of the crafting professions is too disjointed, and inglorium-forbid that a player of 95 has held on to a stack of tofu breastplates for that long…

Baker & Chef

Current Baker Core Component Recipe
x5 primary herbalist's plant + x5 secondary herbalist's plant = x1 oil
Example: x5 crowned thistle + x5 iriss flower = x1 coarse oil

Proposed New Baker Core Component Recipe
x3 new OR in-game level-appropriate herbalist plant OR farmer's crop OR lumberjack's gatherable tree resource = x1 oil
Example: x3 rapeseed = x1 coarse oil

Current Chef Core Component Recipe
x5 primary fisherman's fish + x5 secondary fisherman's fish = x1 spice
Example: x5 breaded fish + x5 bow meow fish = x1 coarse spice

Proposed New Chef Core Component Recipe
x2 level-appropriate farmer's flour + x1 farmer's butter = x1 roux
Example: x2 coarse flour + x1 butter = x1 coarse roux

I have many thoughts about baker and chef. Allow me to express a handful of them for you via interpretive meme.

Oh Twelvian gods, how the recipes of these professions could be amazing…

The effects of items crafted by the baker and chef professions need to be revisited. The recipes of these professions ought to be rewritten so that the ingredients make sense. More recipes should be added to each tier. And honestly, baker and chef should be the professions that spark the most joy for players who have watched the Wakfu animated series. It is the chef that can craft Alibert’s Stew and the Mamaliga from Forfut. It is the baker who crafts Xav’s legendary loaves (YES. THIS RECIPE SHOULD BE FIXED.). Channel that creativity, that joy of bringing the show and the game in line with each other, Wakfu team! Imagine being able to craft Sufokian sushi, Bontarian desserts, Amaknian cassoulet, Brakmarian sausages… imagine being able to craft more unique food recipes for Al Howin, Kwismas, St. Potrick! Imagine crafting these dishes and being able to sell them on the market for profit. There have already been suggestions on the forums for new effects that dishes could have that players would utilize regularly. I’ll even put forth a suggestion right here: The mixed beverages that the chef can make in this imaginary revamp could give players five minutes of an aura when consumed. If you’re big on pvp (on the battlefields or off) and you want the other team to think you’re wearing a different relic, knock back a beverage and witness the confusion. Allowing players to craft a consumable item that gives an aura also means that players can preview the aura on their character before they put in the hours of work to get the fragments to put the real thing together. Players of all levels enjoy composing and personalizing the aesthetics of their characters, so these beverages could absolutely be sold on the market.

For this imaginary revamp, bakers still make oil, but the materials have been changed to real-world fruits, nuts, and seeds that are actually used to make oil. It has never made sense for chefs to craft spice from ground up fish, so I changed the chef’s core component to roux, the making of which is a vital step in the creation of many French dishes.

The well-revamped baker and chef recipes ought to offer players a myriad of options to spice up their Wakfu game life, and I imagine that the community is more than willing to offer some great ideas for new recipe effects, as well as give player feedback on what effects are helpful and which ones are rarely ever used. I’ll let Drake sum up my thoughts for this section:

Handyman

Current Handyman Core Component Recipe
x5 primary lumberjack's tree wood + x5 secondary lumberjack's tree wood = x1 bracket
Example: x5 ash wood + x5 hazel wood = x1 coarse bracket

Proposed New Handyman Core Component Recipes
x1 level-appropriate lumberjack's plank + x2 level-appropriate souper-glou = x1 bracket
Example: x1 coarse plank + x2 coarse souper-glou = x1 coarse bracket

x1 level-appropriate weapons master's rod = x4 nails
Example: x1 coarse rod = x4 coarse nails

x2 herbalist's beeswax + x2 level-appropriate gatherable viscous trapper resource = x1 finishing wax
Example: x2 beeswax + x2 larva mucus = x1 coarse finishing wax

Imagine being able to craft season-themed haven bag gems. Spooky tiles for Al Howin. Snowy tiles for Kwismas. Fluffy pink cloud tiles for Ballotwine. Imagine being able to craft the nation furniture. Bontarian bench. Amaknian stool. Imagine being able to craft new display shelves, both for selling and for showing off your sweet loot. Imagine being able to craft more emblems. Imagine being able to craft new planters, new garden decorations, new statues. Imagine being able to craft an altar that offers a time sensitive bonus to planting chance inside the haven bag if you make an offering. Imagine being able to craft new types of fencing, new doors, new box-type containers for inventory.

A revamped handyman profession could do all this and more.

I think that a revamped handyman ought to accomplish several things, the most important of which is a removal of those handyman recipes that seem to only serve to take up space (ex. bobbin, the metal statues, the bwork containers). In my opinion, having trapper make essence and handyman make orbs is redundant; both items use monster ingredients and both items represent a captured or synthesized “energy” or “substance”. Getting rid of one means simplified recipes for all the crafting professions and you free up a profession to craft other things. Here, since handyman no longer crafts orbs, this profession can focus on the creation of aesthetic items, items for storage/display, haven bag gems, event special items, and transmutations/incantations/scrolls. The event special items could be added to the game for a specific event (ex. Al Howin), and it could be made that these items are only craftable after one receives the dropped recipe from event-specific monsters. I probably don’t have to point out that adding new droppable recipes to seasonal events would encourage endgame players to participate in the event; currently, players who have completed all event-related achievements and obtained the items they’ve wanted from events have no incentive to do the event at all.

Our imaginary revamped handyman comes with two new core component recipes: nails and finishing wax. Nails would be a key material for the handyman, and the crafting of nails requires the player to level the weapons master profession. Finishing wax is used by leather dealers and should also pop up in recipes that involve polishing (ex. jeweler’s rings). Handyman has a lot of flexibility and potential to it, with recipes that are practically begging for a revamp.

Jeweler

Current Jeweler Core Component Recipe
x5 primary miner's ore + x5 secondary miner's ore = x1 gem
Example: x5 primitive iron + x5 finest sea salt = x1 coarse gem

Proposed New Jeweler Core Component Recipes
x1 level-appropriate miner's steel = x1 wire
Example: x1 coarse steel = x1 coarse wire

x1 level-appropriate lumberjack's plank = x1 mold
Example: x1 coarse plank = x1 coarse mold

Jeweler is a simple one. Since miners are in charge of polishing gemstones, jewelers are concerned with crafting wire for amulets and molds for rings. Making wire requires the miner’s steel, while crafting molds needs the lumberjack’s planks. The sample recipe formulas for rings and amulets follow from those applied to the armorer profession, but jeweler gets the super fun and totally not grindy (/sarcasm) option of crafting the nation rings, which count as epic and are required to wield the famed nation swords. And boy are nation rings thirsty for Ogrest’s tears, to the tune of 1400 tears a ring. That’s more than a bit of an investment.

Since they’re so special, I think the recipes for nation rings should be rewritten to prompt the player to actually do more with the monsters/resources of that nation. You’re already required to complete almost every type of event there is per nation—the materials reaped from this process should go towards the ring. Examples of rewritten nation ring recipes are as follows:

Sufokia Ring

mold + trapper essence + hairy ray volution + rod + wire + mythical monster family dungeon boss drop(s) [sufokia] + koral reef + master jeweler's seal + powder

Bonta Ring

mold + trapper essence + tantrum wood + rod + wire + mythical monster family dungeon boss drop(s) [bonta] + foreal titanium + master jeweler's seal + powder

Brakmar Ring

mold + trapper essence + tenebrous plant + rod + wire + mythical monster family dungeon boss drop(s) [brakmar] + onyx ore + master jeweler's seal + powder

Amakna Ring

mold + trapper essence + ancestral sunflower + rod + wire + mythical monster family dungeon boss drop(s) [amakna] + prehistoric amber + master jeweler's seal + powder

Again, since these are epics, I don’t think Ogrest’s tears should go into their creation. The emphasis here is on powder and on items that either represent the nation and/or are found in the nation. We could even add another ingredient to this formula, perhaps a second rare resource, a special drop from archmobs, or one of the miner’s polished gemstones that relates to the nation (ex. a red stone for Brakmar, a purple stone for Sufokia, etc). In any case, the recipes for the nation rings should echo the goal of player effort being equal to gain.

Leather Dealer

Current Leather Dealer Core Component Recipe
x4 primary level-appropriate droppable monster resource + x4 secondary level-appropriate droppable monster resource = x1 leather
Example: x4 larva skin + x4 gobball skin = x1 coarse leather

Proposed New Leather Dealer Core Component Recipes
x2 level-appropriate droppable monster resource OR fisherman's fish + x1 level-appropriate handyman's finishing wax = x1 leather
Example: x2 larva skin OR bow meow fish + x1 coarse finishing wax = x1 coarse leather

x1 level-appropriate leather = x4 leather straps
Example: x1 coarse leather = x4 coarse leather straps

More recipes to craft bags/sacks/purses for inventory. Please. Don’t make me beg because I will

Leather dealer is where the real grind is at. Leather can only be made from monster drops and you need an unfortunate amount of them just to craft one piece of leather. With the server population registering off the charts, some monsters have become sudden VIPs. I know from personal experience that Moon Beach, of all places, has become standing room only, with shark mobs getting drawn into combat as fast as they get planted. No player wants to put in the kind of time that the current leather dealer profession demands, especially with its 8 to 1 core component crafting ratio. Of all the professions, I think leather dealer is the one most in need of a revamp.

Our imaginary leather dealer crafts leather straps from the leather they create. This leather still comes from monster resources, but instead of requiring at minimum two different monster drops to craft a leather, it only takes one type of resource to make it. With a plethora of options in regards to monster resources, players who want to level leather dealer can fight any one monster family and gain what they need to craft leather. And since crafting a piece of leather means you can also craft a leather strap? That’s double the experience per monster item put toward crafting leather. All the player has to do is make sure they have plenty of finishing wax on hand; whether they craft it themselves or purchase it from a market is up to them. Decreasing the number of materials needed to make leather also allows players to use those monster drops for something else.

Just as with jeweler and armorer, the formulas for leather dealer’s boots and belts are meant to unify the profession’s recipes into a predictable pattern. The leather dealer can craft the relic Otomai’s Pilgrim Shoes and the epic Otomai’s Scouts Greaves, the recipe formulas of which are shown on the Crafting Prof. Overview spreadsheet under the leather dealer column.

Leather dealer as it is now is a grueling uphill climb, but some of the grind can be alleviated by simply diversifying the recipes for making leather.

Tailor

Current Tailor Core Component Recipe
x5 primary farmer's crop + x5 secondary farmer's crop = x1 fiber
Example: x5 wheat straw + x5 artichoke = x1 coarse fiber

Proposed New Tailor Core Component Recipes
x3 new OR in-game level-appropriate herbalist's plant OR farmer's crop OR lumberjack's gatherable tree resource = x1 thread
Example: x3 hemp = x1 coarse thread

x3 level-appropriate gatherable trapper's resource OR droppable monster resource = x1 cloth
Example: x3 bow meow hair OR tofu feather = x1 coarse cloth

Seventh verse same as the first; it doesn’t make sense for the current tailor to craft fiber while herbalists craft string, so we ditch both in favor of a new set of core components. Thread and cloth are used in the tailor’s helmet and cloak recipes, and the tailor’s options for crafting cloth are multiplied by removing the requirement of two different monster resources. The making of thread calls for the player to level in the herbalist profession; crafting cloth relies on levels in trapper.

Tailor’s recipe formulas follow those of armorer, jeweler, and leather dealer, with the exception of the Dorabyss, a craft-only helmet that requires materials from an ultimate boss (in this case, Count Harebourg). Recipes that require materials from an ultimate boss are a whole other animal, but it could be that the U.B.’s materials could be substituted for the [mythical monster family dungeon boss drop] category. Our sample formula for the Dorabyss could be:

thread + trapper essence + rare plant + leather strap + plate + [count harebourg drop] + polished taroudium + master tailor’s seal + powder

This suggested formula builds off the formulas for the tailor’s other helmet recipes and also requires the player to return to Chillberg for Harebourg-related materials. I haven’t run Harebourg myself, but perhaps another player could speak to the sort of effort required to obtain the two drops currently needed to craft the Dorabyss (Count Harebourg’s Hat and Count Frigost’s Hat).

Weapons Master

Current Weapons Master Core Component Recipe
x5 primary lumberjack's tree wood + x5 secondary lumberjack's tree wood = x1 handle
Example: x5 ash wood + x5 hazel wood = x1 coarse handle

Proposed New Weapons Master Core Component Recipes
x1 level-appropriate lumberjack's tree wood + x2 level-appropriate leather strap + x3 level-appropriate souper-glou = x1 handle
Example: x1 ash wood + x2 coarse leather strap + x3 coarse souper-glou = x1 coarse handle

x3 level-appropriate miner's steel + x2 water = x1 rod
Example: x3 coarse steel + x2 water = x1 coarse rod

x1 level-appropriate lumberjack's plank + x3 level-appropriate handyman's finishing wax = x1 bow
Example: x1 coarse plank + x3 coarse finishing wax = x1 coarse bow

Mcfinally, we’re at the end.

In this pretend revamp, weapons masters continue to craft handles, which are used to craft daggers and one-handed and two-handed swords. However, if you’re the kind of Iop that prefers a hefty hammer over a blade, you could instead craft the weapons master’s rod. Rods are made of steel and water and are used to make two-handed axes, hammers, staffs, and shovels, as well as one-handed wands, hands, and staffs. Bows, of course, are used to craft bows, and handles are used as a base component to craft every other weapon except cards (because they’re special). It don’t get any simpler than that, a-yup.

Unfortunately, weapons masters get to craft the other half of the sell-your-soul-to-a-nation bargain: the nation swords. I think the rewritten recipes for the nation swords should follow the pattern of the formula used for the nation rings, but instead emphasize/include the complementary resource(s). So in the case of the Amakna ring, as an example, the ring requires the ancestral sunflower (farmer’s crop); we could have the Amakna sword require relentless birch wood (lumberjack’s tree). Following this principle and building off the formula for the nation rings, here are the sample formulas:

Sufokia Sword

handle + trapper essence + blood red amethyst + steel + leather + mythical monster family dungeon boss drop(s) [sufokia] + exemplary citronana wood + weapons master's seal + powder

Bonta Sword

handle + trapper essence + royal bauxite + steel + leather + mythical monster family dungeon boss drop(s) [bonta] + sakura wood + weapons master's seal + powder

Brakmar Sword

handle + trapper essence + flamboyant kroomium + steel + leather + mythical monster family dungeon boss drop(s) [brakmar] + mortal wood + weapons master's seal + powder

Amakna Sword

handle + trapper essence + consolatory bronze + steel + leather + mythical monster family dungeon boss drop(s) [amakna] + relentless birch wood + weapons master's seal + powder

Perhaps in the future the nation swords and rings will be tied to a nation-focused story plot, but for now we’re attempting to build a foundation for all of the professions and their recipes as a cohesive whole.

END

Well, there it is. If you’ve read all the way to this point, thank you very much. You are the kind of player whose opinions and experiences ought to be relied upon by the Wakfu team; you reading this whole wall of text tells me that, at the very least, you’re interested in a professions revamp for Wakfu. So, what do you think? Pick pieces out of this imaginary revamp plan and tear them apart. Tell me what you really like about these suggestions, tell me what you think can’t work, tell me the ideas that you’ve kept floating around in your head as you play Wakfu. I want to hear your thoughts, your experiences, and your ideas, whether they be tame as a gobball or wild as a blightopard. Who knows? Maybe one day, those ideas could become a reality in the World of Twelve.
8 -1
Reactions 2
Score : 7523

In the current state, professions are actually easier to level up.
And that can be done only by using the basic component while a player is leveling up their harvesting based one.

The professions except trapper and leather dealer are all related to each other in their core component use such as in here :

Lumber jack  - Handyman, Weapons Master
Farmer - Tailor
Herbalist - Baker
Miner - Armorer, Jeweller
Fisherman - Chef
Trapper
Leather Dealer

With this, when some one is doing their harvesting profession they can save up that resouce and use that to upgrade their crafting professions at the same time along side it. (I have a chart to calculate how many harvested resouces one would need to upgrade their crafting professions or for that matter any of them here : https://kutt.it/WChart

I will now try to answer your views about the same and what the game already offers
:

[*]- Players have the ability to level up in any profession of their choosing, which was not the case when professions were implemented. A revamp should include rewritten recipes that highlight and promote the interplay of professions.

A . Players do have the ability to choose or do any profession they want in game or not to do any of them at all thanks to secure crafting feature which allows others to craft and use the profession level of other players who has the same done without ever needing to harvest or plant a crop.
  • [*]-Core component recipes should be diversified and simplified, offering players multiple ways to level up a single profession while avoiding turning professions into a bottomless time sink.

A. Core component recipes are already quite simple, It's 2 of the craft/drop resource within the level range of things.
  • [*]- Rewritten recipes should follow a predictable pattern and require ingredients that make sense for the item being crafted.

A. Not necessary, Diversity of obtaining items for some items/upgrades are a good way to promote content consumption. (Souvenirs are a good example for this.)
  • [*]- When it comes to materials required for a given recipe, gain should equal effort.

A. It's like at lest x2 on a profession like Lumber jack/Miner. Where you can level up 2 associated professions when you are on it.
  • [*]-Advancement of the professions should reward the player with a sense of accomplishment, not a sense of relief. This can be achieved by adding new and engaging recipes to every profession.

A. Professions are an accomplishment in game, and players can also put that to use with the secure craft option which gives it more value and also can act as a small income source for some. Also, they do add new recipes to various professions when new content comes up from time to time.
  • [*]- Core components of any level should have intrinsic value beyond serving as a means of levelling a profession.

A. The core components are of immense value, considering they are required to craft/make anything in that level range. eg: Divine handle of weapons master: It is the basic component for all the crafts in that tier listed here and more :
    So saying that the core components have any lesser value is..

These where your considerations from the first part and these are my observations from the game which satisfy the conditions you have laid out for the revamp.

I must also say that your revamp plan for the professions makes it much more complex and grindy for any one starting on it than the simply laid out one we have in game now atm.

More or less seems like you want to give the same more depth and complexity over the existing one to make the system it's own aspect of the game. I'm not so sure about how that would reflect in game. I don't mind that part but considering how you started with saying it's a time sinc, adding double the amount of crops and things to a level range is only going to make it take up more time than what we have now, which from this appears over all far more easier in my view.
1 0
Score : 1245

Thank you very much for your comment.

I see now that I should have defined the common terms and phrases I was using to describe profession materials and items. I also should have spelled out exactly what the new crafting professions's core component recipes could look like. I am limited in what information I can include on a spreadsheet before it just becomes a jumble of letters and numbers, but that's still on me.

I was using the phrase " core component" to refer to the craftable item that each profession makes per quality tier (handyman's bracket, for example). You are pointing out that certain professions require the same raw materials to craft their core component. I personally think this creates a conflict of interest between the professions and it also doubles or triples the amount of raw materials a player must grow/reap in order to level more than just one profession. This is where the time sink can be found.

I think that a professions revamp should be able to encompass not only the professions levelling experience of a player who is subscribed and runs with heroes AND has access to the master crafted profession tools/profession buff pets/profession buff gear/guild and haven world bonuses, but also the experience of a player who is not subscribed and has none of the aforementioned additives. The current professions demand a considerable time commitment for levelling; imagine what that looks like for a player with no profession gear and poor in-game weather. Couple this with the general understanding that a new player does not begin levelling their professions with the mindset that they ought to hoard every resource that they reap. I also know for a fact that new players are still told that they must specialize in a specific profession as part of the professions tutorial. Unless these new players figure out that the game no longer works that way, they may operate under the belief that they can't level all the professions. Much of your post here relies on professions knowledge gained via experience, which is something that a new player does not have access to.

Outside of the new player experience, there is little interplay between the current professions. What do I mean by that? I mean that each profession exists within a bubble and the gathering professions do not regularly integrate their core components with those of the crafting professions and vice versa. Requiring the same raw materials to craft a core component is NOT integration. Requiring a crafting profession to use the core component of a gathering profession to make a new core component IS integration. Let's take the lumberjack/handyman/weapons master trio as an example.

To craft a rustic tier plank (lumberjack), a rustic tier bracket (handyman), and a rustic tier handle (weapons master), you need x5 pooplar wood and x5 baby redwood each. That's 30 pieces of wood for just ONE plank, one bracket, and one handle. I suggest that each of these recipes be rewritten so they become:

x3 baby redwood = x1 rustic plank (lumberjack)

x1 rustic plank + x2 rustic souper-glou = x1 rustic bracket (handyman)

x1 baby redwood + x2 rustic leather strap + x3 rustic souper-glou = x1 rustic handle (weapons master)

Notice how these rewritten recipes no longer require two and three times the amount of wood even between them! Instead, we're pulling items from the world (souper-glou) and from the other professions (leather straps from leather dealer) to craft our core component. This integrates the abilities of one profession with another, and to be completely frank, there is no legitimate reason to require players to craft ANY profession's core component item at a 10 to 1 exchange rate. This is the format that I think ALL of the professions should follow. Core component recipes should be "simplified", meaning the number and type of raw materials required should be decreased, and the recipes should be "diversified", meaning the new core component recipes should prompt the player to look into levelling more than just one profession... you know, it's basically putting an incentive into the professions for the player to further explore the game and learn more about monster and field resources used in crafting.

As for universal formulas, I think there might have been a bit of a disconnect between how I explained things and how they were understood, as the Souvenir tier examples you included in your post... all have recipes that follow a formula.

powder + rare plant + rare monster family resource drop + lower tier item OR stack of requisite gear item + mythical monster family dungeon boss resource drop + rare monster family resource drop + ogrest's tears + divine string OR divine essence OR divine fiber

Notice also how the Cloak of Trouble requires divine fiber, while the Excarnus Veil (also a cloak) requires string. A professions revamp would address this discrepancy. String and fiber are the same type of material and should be revamped so that two items of the same rarity and the same type don't require differing core components.

And yes, core components DO NOT currently share intrinsic market value. A core component of the rustic tier is significantly of less value than a core component of the exquisite tier. A visit to any haven bag or any nation market confirms this, and while some difference in price is to be expected, the price leap from the durable tier and up is laughably high. I think that a professions revamp that decreases the number of core components required to craft a recipe could bring balance to the significant price discrepancy between each tier. The items belonging to tiers that are relevant to battlefields also have greatly fluctuating prices.

You're right, though. I do think that professions should become a significant aspect of the game. I don't think participating in professions should be an afterthought in Wakfu, especially since there are plot beats that require one or more crafted components. Until Charles-Henri/Year Two Huppermage questline, there is no significant aspect, plot, or part of Wakfu that prompts the player to look into professions outside of the actual professions tutorial and the dragoturkey mount questline. There could be significantly more incentives put into the game that guide players in the direction of learning about professions on their own even before they pursue any specific questline. Anything that prompts positive and inquisitive player interaction with the game is important in my book.

0 0
Respond to this thread