FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Reworked Party Finder

By Bluhen - MEMBER - September 18, 2020, 20:13:17

Hi everyone!

Today, I'd like to share with you a suggestion that I've been working on to improve a very important tool that, sadly, isn't used very often by the players: the Party Finder.

A Party Finder is a very crucial tool present in many MMORPGs, it is an easy and effective way to look for teammates to take on different activities around the same goal. Wakfu is no exception, as many of you might've noticed, the game has a Party Finder, but it is rarely used by the players mainly because it isn't working as effectively as you might hope it would and the  very important bugs that are currently affecting it's performance. Personally, one of the main problems that I found when exploring the system is that it wasn't a very "user friendly " experience and the lack of a dedicated tutorial in the game made the situation even more confusing. 

That's why I open this thread, to give my opinion on this topic and propose a new way to use the system with renewed interfaces, Modes and different options to look for teammates.

The New Party Finder

To start fixing this tool, we have to pick the core keywords around which the system will work, for me they are: Roles, Content and Modes.

1.- Roles and Team Composition

First, I think it is important a standarization. We need a solid base from which the system will develop and work. When it comes to creating a party we need to define what roles and how many of them are enough on a team of 6 to deal with most of the content of the game correctly. A sort of Jack-of-all-Trades composition.

For me, based on my own experience on Wakfu (feel free to discuss more about this important aspect), I think that the ideal team composition for a dungeon on Normal difficulty (s11) and based on the roles available in the current version of the Party Finder, would be:

⦁    1 Tank
⦁    2 Damage Dealers
⦁    1 Healer
⦁    1 Support
⦁    1 Positioner

Explanation. The Tank and Positioner are must-have on a lot of the content of the game, in tandem they move and keep targets in place so the job of the Damage Dealers is easier. Healer and Support are roles that often tend to be merged into one, but seeing how not all healer classes have the same support capabilities than others and viceversa, I can see why the Staff decided to make them independent of each other.

Concerning to the Damager Dealers, there is another reason why they need to be 2. There are certain monsters, specially at higher levels, are required to be killed in Melee or from Distance. While it is true that ST and AoE are important Masteries too, if I recall correctly there aren't monsters that discriminate between them in order to be killed (there are monsters than mitigate ST/AoE damage such as the Nyl Shaman, but they don't discrimenate between them when dying) making the Proximity a rather more important element here.

2.- Content

Second, we need to know what content the players are going to be dealing with and how to condense everything into a simple system that ensures a quick response (low queue times, fast search of members, and so on).

Currently, there are currently 111 dungeons available to play which is A LOT (UBs included). Luckly, many of them share the same level requeriment and therefore they can be grouped into 14 Dungeon Groups according to their level considering the Gobball dungeon (lvl 12) as a starting point and finishing with Osamosa (lvl 201). 

These 14 groups will be specially useful to determine Modes and when showing how the system is going to work.

3.- Modes

To make sure that the system works efficiently and there aren't a lot of queueing times when looking for parties, it is important to narrow the options around common goals. For this, I suggest the implementation of categories or Modes: Exp, Items, ALS, Custom, Featured and Rescue.
  • Exp: Designed for gathering players around the goal of "Leveling". Here, you can pick a Group of Dungeons and queue. Since the main goal here is getting exp and clearing content, the Stasis level is set to 11. Not only S11 will allow players to clear the Dungeon efficiently but will also ensure that the runs won't take too much allowing players to re-queue sooner after clearing the dungeon which will keep a continuous flow of players.
  • Item: Designed for farming ressources. There will be a search bar where you can type the name of the ressource/weapon/item that you are looking for. The chosen item will be visible for everyone.
  • ALS: Designed for doing content that requires the Automatic Leveling System. This includes Uber Bosses and Dungeon Ranking.
  • Custom: Designed for manually creating a party and customizing certain options such as Stasis level, preffered classes, allow players with modulated emblems, Roles, character level and sidekicks. There needs to be a mode for players who are looking for doing very specific content with very specific requirements.
  • Featured: Designed for queueing for dungeons of the Daily Quests (the ones from Mod'Ule) and Boss Smasher. While it's true that both of these contents require ALS, I think it is important to add an independent section for easy browsing.
  • Rescue: Whenever team loses a teammate inside a Dungeon, the Leader will be able to request help to others. This Requests will be shown at the Rescue interface in the Party Finder. Here, players will be able to see what teams are in need of an ally, what role they are lacking and the progress in the Dungeon (what rooms have been cleared). Should you accept to help them, you will be sent directly to the Dungeon.
How does it work?
Disclaimer: The pictures shown a continuation are a rough example of my idea for the system, mostly edited with Paint. 

Here is the main interface of the Party Finder. Nothing too excesive and pretty straightforward. 
To start using the tool, first you need to choose a Mode which are located on the upper part of the window. According your selection, the corresponding info will be displayed.

1.- For Exp, Items, ALS and Featured Modes

You will be able to see all the available Dungeons Groups for you current level. You are free to check any Group you want to Queue for. According to your selection the game will pair you with others.
Also, you can manually opt-out dungeons by clicking a Group (For example: Level 141 Dungeons), this will deploy a more detailed list where you can see what dungeons you are going to queue for. Click on the ones you do not which to participate in. Keep in mind that if you narrow your options, the waiting time might increase.

Then, you need to pick the role. Right next to the dungeon list there will be a small window where you can see a small banner of your class and the roles available for you according to the official info provided by the Encyclopedia.
Once you've chosen your role, press the "Sign Up" button to start searching for players.

A window will pop-up displaying the following information: the roles that have been found, the roles that are missing, how many players are in the party, the role with which you signed-up with, a timer which shows how much time has passed since you started to queue and a "Leave Queue" button to cancel the request.
The Search window would be displayed on the top left corner of the screen or ideally it could be closed without cancelling the search and would be checked at any time from the Party Finder. What activities you are allowed to do or not while waiting depends on the programmers, but it would be great if you were allowed to craft, gather ressources and chill at your Haven-Bag while waiting.
Once the search is completed, a "Confirmation" window will pop-up showing you the dungeon that you are going to enter, the role with which you signed up with, the buttons "Join" and "Leave" and a Timer which will give you around 1 minute to confirm your participation. Having a Confirmation screen will prevent AFK players from joining and make sure everyone is ready to start.
After the party members have confirmed their participation, they'll be automatically teleported to the dungeon.

I'd like to reiterate this and I think this is an importat QoL aspect of the system . Allowing the players to automatically teleport to an instance speeds up the whole grouping process of players and start of activities. It is a very important element that I think must be present if the Party Finder ever gets a rework, specially to avoid problems when the players come from different communities. Another QoL element would be to put the characters right back they were before starting the dungeon instead of putting them at a Fenix or common spawn point.

2.- For Custom Mode

First you need to start by selecting a Dungeon in the Custom Mode section. The available teams that are currently recruiting will be displayed in the right side of the screen along with the Stasis level of the run and the name of the player. Next to each group will be an "Apply" button which you can click to send a request to the party leader. If you wish to create your own team, just click on the "Sign Up" button to start adding requeriments to your run and post it.
Since Custom Mode is meant for more specific content, if you are unsure if you will fit in a team you can click on one of the Parties to deploy an additional information section where you can check all the requeriments set by the leader such as the goal of the party, preffered classes for certain roles, the status of the party, if ALS will be activated, level requeriment to join and if Sidekicks are allowed.
Once you join a party everything will continue as stated before. You'll join the queue and will be teleported to the dungeon after confirmation.

3.- Rescue Mode

To access the Rescue Mode simply click on the " ! " icon on the upper part of the Party Finder Interface. Here you will see all the requests from teams that are currently waiting for help inside a Dungeon, the rooms that had been cleared, how many members the party has and what roles they are missing/searching for. Simply click on the team that you want to help and sign-up for it, after Confirmation you will be sent to the Dungeon in progress.
On the other hand, if you are stucked inside a Dungeon or your team is lacking members/roles, you can upload a request by simply clicking on the "!" button right below the characters pictures on the team section.
The request will then be visible in the interface of the Rescue Mode. Note that this button will only be enabled if your team has 5 or less members, this is to avoid uploading wrong information to the Party Finder.
-
Rewards and Tokens
The system will also provide rewards to the players who use the feature. The Rewards will include a bonus exp for clearing dungeons on the Exp Mode based on how many dungeons you opt-in and a new token awarded for players who help players in need on the Rescue Mode: The Rescuer Token
This new Token would be exchanged at the dedicated machine in Astrub for items based around the Rescue theme. Cosmetic items like ropes, hats, expedition backpacks, a costume and consumables that dispel the De Darm state.

I don't have an OC version of the costume, but something similar to this one would be ideal. A costume which represents well the theme of exploration displaying rescue, safety and security elements.

Conclusion
In a game that features a vast amount of content such as Wakfu, it is important to provide to the players the right tools needed to do them. Having a reliable and more in-depth system which makes it easier to find other players around a commong goal and get rewarded by using said tools would improve the overall gaming experience of the player, making the creation and organization of teams a more fluid task and a less confusing experience.

In my opinion, for a game that features a massive amount of 111 dungeons and is getting ready for an upcoming Server Merge which will bring together to players from different communities, this is the best time to focus in a rework for the Party Finder.

Thanks everyone for reading!

FAQ

Can you customize the stasis level on the Exp Mode?

I think that for an efficient and quick grouping system for players who wish to do content and get quick exp, the difficulty should be fixed at S11. This setting is also meant to simplify the system by narrowing the options, if we add the 50 levels of stasis as a filter when queueing in Exp Mode there would be too many different permutations to take into account when looking for a team that it would increase the waiting time by a lot. That's why there is the Custom Mode for searching for specific difficulties. In any case, this is finally up to the Staff.

Will I be able to preview the team and classes that are going to join the team?

It depends on the Mode and settings. 

For Exp Mode and ALS Modes, I don't think it would be healthy to discriminate classes according to their performance, the developers and staff have given the classes those roles for a reason and, considering that the difficulty will be set at s11, as long as the players stick to their roles and have a certain understanding of the class it should be fine. If you wish to go with a more "optimized" team and higher difficulty  you could try looking for a team or create your own in the Custom Mode.

What will happen with classes that only got 2 roles and a special one? 

There are various classes that got the "Specialty", "Control", "Preventing Movement" and "Minion" role and it would be unfair if they only got 2 options for queueing. To simplify the situation, I think that those roles should be adapted or merged with the other 2. For example, Control refers to the ability to move targets and crowd control capabilities which fits well in the Positioner category, Preventing Movement fits in Support since these are actions meant to help the team by sabotaging the enemy plus most of the classes that got this role also have support capabilities such as Xelors and Enutrofs. About Specialty, it depends on the description of every class, for Eniripsas it fits in Healer.

This leaves space for a new role that should be defined by the Staff. Or they could just remain with 2 if there aren't others that would fit the class.

21 -1
Reactions 10
Score : 1605

Holy shit, how I do upvote this 100 times?

1 0
Score : 7284

Wow! This is a really well made post and suggestion regarding team search! +1

0 0
Score : 4883

Some suggestions:
Due to the number of duneons if yo go for the full list, I suggest instead of a list, to have the dungeons in a grid instead of a list with a picture of the boss above the name for easier searching.

Also if you could save a role to an Build in your build menu so it automatically sets that role when you enter dungeon search (you can change it if you have multiple roles but this would save a lot of time).

PS: Also just a "looking for anything" button that shows a list of dungeons with open teams

0 0
Score : 7602

Linking a Role to a Build would be a good idea.

Not many players seem to know this but you can actually customize the icon of your build by clicking it. Maybe this same interface could be used to pick a role for the Build so it could be easier to queue for a dungeon with a certain role. If I understood correctly what you are suggesting.

1 0
Score : 84

i love this idea
a thought that i have is that players could subscribe to certain dungeons so they'll be notified when groups are looking for teammates for those said dungeons. this could encourage more participation and also encourage more players to join runs. this could also apply to rescue mode as well.

i also really like the rescue mode idea. however, i was wondering if there is a good way prevent abuse of the system so that it isn't trivialized in a similar way that battlegrounds are with kill feeding. with the proposed system it seems like it'll be easy for players to intentionally start a run, request rescue, then add additional players.

0 0

I mean it could just drop mentor tokens, those only give you some minor cosmetics and the purpouse is very similar

0 -1
Score : -39

I have a huge issue with this and it comes from a brainstorming with a friends 1 month ago.

How it goes is that you have roles as you stated. The main one are DamageDealers, TANK and HEALER. Usually, the tank take also the responsability to place and the healer to support. So, you want your character to perfom in this role... therefore you gonna choose a class that CAN do this quite easily and also respect a second role if possible such as placer.

Lets take Iop for exemple, It has decent tanking abilities that I dont think to suit here but It can tank decently. The thing is, some other classes such as Scarier and Panda can tank far better than him so you would chose a Panda because it can also place weith ease and Iop cannot.

So then, if you follow my way of thinking, some classes already have some roles by their nature... 

Then the confusion between classes and role become quite foced.
Does an Enu that deal damage can do a supporting role?...What if an Eni is build in a supporting way and is more of a DMG reduction to mobs and dmg amplification instead of healing?

The game is currently too rigid to provide this system. It doesnt work nor come naturaly and for a cause because classes only give 1 good way of playing.

If I push my thinking a but further, since some classes doesnt have a specific best role, they then don't really exist in the party finding environnement. 

-Ouginak
as damage dealer, most if not all other damage dealer classes have a higher damage output and an easier way to work around with allies. They're probably the best bruising classes but why bruise/tanking when you already have a tank that does that role? Why tank when you can kill?
-Feca: They seems to be very volatile wich in paper is a good thing because it can react to many situation...but, since the game is build around predictible situation, there's absolutly no purpose to this class since Panda is a better tank, Eni and Sadi a better support... and for dmg, well its a joke.

You get the idea at this point I think. You idea is amazing but unable to work with the current state of the game. 

What go my interest tho was that maybe we could a kind of dungeon that allow multiple different mobs to come in a battle and then you would need flexibility to face them tru. So maybe a Feca would be good in this kind of dungeon. Like a raid that has many waves with different mobs and then some random archyboss or Idk. The system would allow only 1 character per account per computer to join or something like that to actually make people interact with eachothers. Let's be honest, the current pvp state of the game is so lame and bad that once you join in, you check who's front and leave if you're sure of losing. That's fun for no one and probably even generate hate. We need content that force intereactions btw players and good ones instead of just pvp nazis.

0 -1

I think they just need to let each player select up to 2 roles (primary and secondary) since most classes can fill at least 2 roles.
You don't NEED that your tank is a positioner, you just need a tank and a positioner, just like you need a healer and a support. You can have a support who positions (masquaraider) and a damage dealer who tanks (ouginak) and your roles are just fine.

Also each dungeon should have a few roles that are recommended for that dungeon/boss (like debuff for hagen daz, postitoning for treechnid or not healing for flax/torment)

0 -1
Score : 7602

Phelpe|2020-09-28 22:37:50
I have a huge issue with this and it comes from a brainstorming with a friends 1 month ago.

How it goes is that you have roles as you stated. The main one are DamageDealers, TANK and HEALER. Usually, the tank take also the responsability to place and the healer to support. So, you want your character to perfom in this role... therefore you gonna choose a class that CAN do this quite easily and also respect a second role if possible such as placer.

Lets take Iop for exemple, It has decent tanking abilities that I dont think to suit here but It can tank decently. The thing is, some other classes such as Scarier and Panda can tank far better than him so you would chose a Panda because it can also place weith ease and Iop cannot.

So then, if you follow my way of thinking, some classes already have some roles by their nature... 

Then the confusion between classes and role become quite foced.
Does an Enu that deal damage can do a supporting role?...What if an Eni is build in a supporting way and is more of a DMG reduction to mobs and dmg amplification instead of healing?

The game is currently too rigid to provide this system. It doesnt work nor come naturaly and for a cause because classes only give 1 good way of playing.

If I push my thinking a but further, since some classes doesnt have a specific best role, they then don't really exist in the party finding environnement. 

-Ouginak
as damage dealer, most if not all other damage dealer classes have a higher damage output and an easier way to work around with allies. They're probably the best bruising classes but why bruise/tanking when you already have a tank that does that role? Why tank when you can kill?
-Feca: They seems to be very volatile wich in paper is a good thing because it can react to many situation...but, since the game is build around predictible situation, there's absolutly no purpose to this class since Panda is a better tank, Eni and Sadi a better support... and for dmg, well its a joke.

You get the idea at this point I think. You idea is amazing but unable to work with the current state of the game. 

What go my interest tho was that maybe we could a kind of dungeon that allow multiple different mobs to come in a battle and then you would need flexibility to face them tru. So maybe a Feca would be good in this kind of dungeon. Like a raid that has many waves with different mobs and then some random archyboss or Idk. The system would allow only 1 character per account per computer to join or something like that to actually make people interact with eachothers. Let's be honest, the current pvp state of the game is so lame and bad that once you join in, you check who's front and leave if you're sure of losing. That's fun for no one and probably even generate hate. We need content that force intereactions btw players and good ones instead of just pvp nazis.

Yes, I understand your concern. This is a concern that I also had while making this post.

The reason why the new Party Finder relies on the roles given at the Encyclopedia is because they are official, those are the main roles of the classes in which they excel given by the staff and programmers of the game. I admit that even though they are official, they still need to be review. For example, Eniripsas are cataloged as Support but their support cappabilities are pretty much 0 (support =/= healer) when compared to a Sadida or Feca, but that's something that the upcoming rework should solve. They need to be reviewed in order to make the party finder work efficiently otherwise you might end up with a class that's lacking in certain aspects.

Of course there will always be a class that do certain things better than others. You could queue as a Healer Masq in a dungeon where you'd want an Eniripsa due to their versatility and very strong heals, but at the end the Masq CAN perfom as a healer. You could also queue as a Tank Iop who might not be as good as a Pandawa or Sacrier, but remember that there will also be Support players in the team constantly providing buffs, debuffs and armors during the battle reinforcing roles.

The Modes are also there to fix this issues. The Exp Mode main focus is to: group up players for quick exp gains and to clear content. The Stasis set to 11 will make the runs more forgiving and doable for teams with different class compositions. If you feel that a Iop is lacking as a Tank, you can always use the Custom Mode to look specifically for a Feca or Pandawa to fill this role. I didn't stated it on the post but the Custom Mode also doesn't have the same role requeriment as Exp Mode and you are free to form a party in the way you want (6 DD, 1 Tanks and 5 DD, etc).

There is another important point to take into consideration and it is that: the game is changing into what I think is the right direction. While yes, there are classes that can exert 1 or 2 roles very freely, the latests reworks have shown us that that would not be the case in the future. After the rework, a Feca can no longer efficiently stack the roles of Tank, DD and Support at the same time without affecting the others, same goes for Bomb Rogues and Dagger Rogues who can't combine their passives without getting some kind of debuff, the new Masq has this concept too. The classes are getting more and more specialized which makes the Party Finder even more viable with every change.

The suggestion still DO need improvements but, in my opinion, I think it would work just fine and better than the current version, specially with the upcoming server merge.
2 0
Respond to this thread