FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Using AI to improve Wakfu's graphics

By ZEPHYR-3000 - MEMBER - June 18, 2020, 12:38:54
SO.... I was searching some new stuff for my characters to wear and I was getting really annoyed for the low quality of the preview... some thinking and a bit of research and I found a website (in fact several) that use AI to provide a quality upscale for the images that you upload there, and I have to admit the results are damm impressive, I was really surprised that in Wakfu's case not only it upscaled the image with 0 quality loss but it makes them look better,  just to give you a small taste look at that oven:

I know for a fact that ankama must be really busy right now with the sever merge, and even without that I'm not sure how big is the cost for upgrading all of Wakfu's textures, however maybe with this I can put Wakfu HD in the roadmap for Ankama in the future, because I think Wakfu is a really beautiful game and It would be such a waste to not make a good use of that powerful artstyle and get it to more up-to-date standards

However, as you can see some faces need a bit of tweaking since the AI does not get all the details:

But overall, im really impressed with the quality of the results, hopefully Ankama finds a way to improve Wakfu's graphics without speding too much resources, but for now enjoy some of the last images I used for testing it really feels like magic with some of the objects in the background
I upscaled this last one a bit more and just look at this, its like those promotional images they post on the shop xD

Of course here are a the full converted images (I recomend using right click -> Open image in new tab -> click to zoom to look at all the details):
11 -2
Reactions 14
Score : 17325

The problem is that the larger the images are, the more they leech from the computer resources. If right now those NPCs at the main cities slow the framerate a bunch, imagine it if you have each of their textures expanded. Then add this again if you have the whole screen full of players, like in a market area, and count it for each player, pet, mount, emotes and particles...

1 -1
Score : 1400

Im not talking about implementing this in real time, that would obviously be super resource-heavy, im thinking more of something they could use to improve texture quality, but not in real time xD

2 0
Score : 7284

I would love to have an option which would allow users to turn this upscaling on or off in game.
That way users who has good systems and want to see this amazing quality elements can make use of it fully.

The upscaled images does looks really really awesome.
Can you tell what did you use to attain these nice results as well please? ph34r

2 0

I'm not sure if I can publish links to external pages here, but if you want to use the page then type on google: "Icons8 smart upscaler"

1 0
Score : 7587

Wow it is a big improvement. Whether or not this can be done is up to Ankama but I really hope they could. It looks more clean overall.

I didn't really notice how blurry Wakfu is.

2 0

I know right? I remember it being more sharp looking when I started playing it some years ago, it may be the nostalgic memories xD

0 0
Score : 562

ZEPHYR-3000|2020-06-18 15:17:54
If your pc cannot run high quality textures then just lower the graphics xD, we are on pc every game has some sort of graphical options, if they implement this as a feature in the future, it would obviously have an option to turn it off... but come on we are on 2020 the average pc can handle better textures for this game, even my 5 year old laptop could

So if you have a very bad pc that could not run this textures no matter the cost having the high res textures disabled would only be impacting the system in terms of storage... it would have the same graphic fidelity as we have now, and almost the rest of the playerbase would enjoy a better looking game for just a few more resources, because lets be honest, the current performance issues have nothing to do with the actual graphics of the game, if it was remaked from scratch for Unity I think this game could run on phones or even from browser

It wouldn't matter though.

The Game runs on very old Java Code! It doesn't matter what abundance of Computational Power and Memory you throw at it, it will not be able to use it properly anyways. This is why the Game sometimes runs very iffy and has memory leaks.

Also it runs on 32-Bit. So yes, if you would increase the Size of all the Assets with higher resolution, it could have very negative Impact on the overall Performance!

Maybe if they would port Wakfu over to a new Technology/Engine, it would be an completly different Story, but having the Game running on that over a decade old Java Code is just showing its limitations more and more.

ZEPHYR-3000|2020-06-23 13:05:31
Well that was what I feared, they really should put the time to port this game like what they are doing with Dofus

Yes, they "should".

But the Question is if this amount of Resources and Work is even realistic to justify. Ankama already openly admitted that Wakfu isn't going that well, but that they keep it active.

If we are honest, the Game is in constant Decline since so many years now, and i don't see them getting greenlight to such a big task, considering that even smaller changes already take them a lot of time.
1 0

Well that was what I feared, they really should put the time to port this game like what they are doing with Dofus

0 0

=13px 

ZEPHYR-3000|2020-06-23 13:05:31

Yes, they "should".

But the Question is if this amount of Resources and Work is even realistic to justify. Ankama already openly admitted that Wakfu isn't going that well, but that they keep it active.

If we are honest, the Game is in constant Decline since so many years now, and i don't see them getting greenlight to such a big task, considering that even smaller changes already take them a lot of time.

It would be nice for them that if the game dies, to let the commonity keep it alive with custom servers and custom updates, I'm sure lots of people love this game, and would love to tweak it, and add the features ankama the community always wanted
1 0
Score : -39

Very very intersthing.

I'm pretty sure there's ways to actually implant that in real time to a certain degree.

You should stop thinking about that tho. There's a way designs graphics works and personnaly, I would not let an AI deal with art. I do understand the graphics are a bit weird and messed up but... hm... maybe if some tweaks were taken in consideration that the changes would be acceptable but the straw in the coconut looking like a weird water painting is out of question. It looks horrible and pervert the original idea.

I'm definitly for an upgrade tho. It does need a visual upgrade extremly fast. Why not import the game to UnrealEngine already lol... and not like dofus unrealengine look please. Its so horrible I vomited.

0 0
Score : 7284

Unreal and Unity are different game engines (Dofus 3,Krosmaga, Waven are Unity based.).
Wakfu has it originality and uniqueness due to it's art style. It could benefit from existing graphics up-scaling than entirely switching to a different engine and code base. Wakfu on itself just never ages due to the style it has as well.  The Ai samples also shows how much better it can look after an upscaling of existing graphics.

0 0
Respond to this thread