FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Let's Make Wakfu Succeed! (2018 And Beyond)

By littleoldme - MEMBER - May 30, 2018, 02:01:59
AnkaTracker
Hello!
In this thread I want to touch on a few things I think Wakfu could do to improve the game and draw in a much bigger player base. In my opinion Wakfu is a game that is filled with endless potential. I believe Wakfu could dominate today's MMORPG market with a few simple changes to the game as a whole. Below I am going to list a few changes I think Wakfu could use in order to set it up for major success in the future. I hope that we are able to be heard as a community in order to get the experience out of Wakfu we all deserve!

1. Clunky interface is not visually appealing.
When you look at top competitors in the MMORPG genre you can see that their interface is very polished and pleasant to look at. Take WoW or LoL for example, I would say that their art styles aren't that far off of from Wakfu's. Look at some of the changes those games have made then look at the success they continue to have. If the Wakfu developer team was able to do a complete interface revamp, I think that would make people give this game much more respect.

2. No texture scaling/pixelation.
The problem is, at least in my experience, the textures in Wakfu need better scaling. 4K resolutions should be a given in 2018. We are moving into a time where 4K and beyond will soon be the norm. There is no excuse for any kind of pixelation or scaling issues.

3. Health bars could be better.
This probably should be a part of #1 but I wanted to include it separately. I think the HP bars in this game could use a major update. This simple fix could give the game a more premium feeling and really improve the perceived value of the game.

4. Poor optimization, freezing and frame drops.
I wanted to list this one because I am not sure why we see these issues on such a lightweight game but this is definitely something that needs to be fixed. I am not sure if the player base is large enough for Ankama to warrant these major updates, however it would be amazing to see these fixes in the near future.

5. Build orders/passive abilities not easily understood.
I think many of us noobs can relate that it is not easy to find a guide that is up to date for all the classes in this game. There needs to be a resource that we can go to in order to simply understand what we need to build. I think this would prevent a lot of new players from leaving the game and never coming back.

Thank you for reading! I wanted to keep this short and to the point. I would just like to say I love the developers at Ankama and I think Wakfu is a super creative game with a ton of potential. I think with some SERIOUS improvements to the game we could see a drastic increase in the player base in the years 2018 and beyond. Wakfu can be and still is a timeless game with endless potential.

Thanks and take care!
12 -1
First Ankama intervention

Hello guys,

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread as we also have the same goal! For any technical concerns, I'd have to request to please post them in our technical wishlist and priorities thread, it'll be more efficient for us.

See message in context
Reactions 43
Score : 163

God , i wish optimization could be better , if Ankama would like to repair that issue we would see a big change that bring A LOT of people to game 

3 0
Score : 5116
"Wakfu can be and still is a timeless game with endless potential." unfortunately this potential has never been explored and things go too slowly to keep having hopes after 3 years playing.
This is the complete opposite from what I've been saying and believing all these years, but don't play wakfu. Don't play with your hopes, the frustration only gets bigger.
6 0
Score : 1199

''Community: Give us WATER! please!!''

Ankama: No! don't EVER tell us what to do! but since you asked, 'WE' think you need bleach, here have some bleach!''

3 0
Score : 3964

i think that instead of reworking whole class every several months;throwing a gamble game over wether it becoems unplayable or absolutely overpowered,it would be much more interactive and healthy to simply review a few spells/mechanics that seem unused every few weeks

7 0
Score : 10427

1.Yea, but I dont think thats a bigger issue, but of course more attractive UI would be nice.
2.Yea
3.HP bars are fine, but armor is not well showed to player. And playing with dozens of open tabs are not funny and make a lot of mess.
4.Yes
5.Don't have opinion.

@Markzs there is still lot of potential in Wakfu, but for a person like me who plays so many years hopes get smaller everytime.

@Jenarall Now communication between Ankama and Players are much better then in the past. Its still mising a lot of things, but as players we should always remember that our ideas many times are terrible as well. And many times we don't exacly know what we want or don't realize how bad our ideas are. Even if they made a lot of mistakes, Wakfu designers are in quite stressfull situation. Cos playersbase at least our made a lot of complains all the time and its really hard to make everyone happy i think. But yea some decision made by Ankama made me "WUT" as well.

@RaderElcaroman I though about revamping a "dead" spell branches like fire mask or earth/fire fog, to provide more divercity for classes. But what devs could give us to abandon super self heal and crazy positioning with solid dmg or hyper big dmg with few spells? So I came to the conclusion that overall revamps are better. But yea ur right there is no middle in this madness, something is underpower or overpower as hell. At least most of the time.

For me the biggest problem with wakfu is update themes. Now we get many revamps, pvp and many others. Probably next we would get another revamp or new nation lands or politic. There is nothing like stable Patch cycle. Something like Endgame content> Game Mechanic/Class revamp >Low-Mid lvl content. That would make Wakfu scene always fresh, without big gaps with end game content when u do same things something like a year and half (hello moon)

For new players there is not to much quest, and I think this should be changed as well. Cos I myself almost all game play as solo character. Without alts or hero. And sometimes find a team is a disaster. It should be much more way for solo player to achive that high lvl.

There is many bugs in game, unfinished projects, but also a lot of magic. I hope that someday this game become once more this world I saw 5 year ago and I will fall in love once again. Meanwhile I will happy with this what I have now.

Greetings all,
Percy.

1 0

Hello guys,

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread as we also have the same goal! For any technical concerns, I'd have to request to please post them in our technical wishlist and priorities thread, it'll be more efficient for us.

Score : 262

On class resources specifically, there are quite a few excellent guides by the community right here on the forums, but you're right to note that many are out of date. Wakfu continues to evolve and one of the reasons you may have difficulty finding good information on recently-changed classes especially is that even veteran players are still figuring them out. Likewise, new gear and rune options being added to the game can have big implications even for classes that are more established and haven't changed themselves for some time.

You may also find that part of both the struggle and the joy of Wakfu is discovering how many different ways there are to play various classes and how they interact with others, for better or for worse. I fully encourage asking around for specific classes that interest you on the forums if you're having trouble getting a feel for it (or just in general), and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you discover (even if what you discover is that the community is feeling as lost as you).

0 0
Score : 1
i have a few questions/concerns about this...
1. Clunky interface is not visually appealing.
... how?  i personally think that most of the UI is fine as it is... the quest tracker is a bit iffy as you cant keep it in one place... but thats about it. this game isn't WoW or LoL.. and tbh i would rather not have 60% of my screen filled with UI

2. No texture scaling/pixelation.
you just assume everyone has the money for 4K?...  also this seems like a lot of work. this game is very old now so a complete overhaul isn't really a quick and easy job

3. Health bars could be better.
how? i agree that armor could perhaps be shown in a little green heart next to the red one but...

5. Build orders/passive abilities not easily understood.
well perhaps if you are completely new.... my advice? read the passives and spells.. see what works together via practice and make your own builds rather then just defaulting to random builds off the internet.. this also has the benefit if you ending up playing a build you  acctually like.

overall it seems like your just trying to make the game into something that its not... there are issues with wakfu that need to be fixed.. thats a given. .but these seem mostly cosmetic.. and your just trying to get it to look like a diffrent game..
1 -1
Score : -3017

biggest problem imo, even though im a primarily pvp enthusiast, is that the game isnt receiving its healthy dose of PVM content - the replayability on the content we have isnt good enough to justify staying in 1 or 2 zones for a year or even more.

3 -2

Agree.
New dun per 3 or 4 month would be awesome. One dun is enought to keep wakfu's pvm fresh. New enemies and mechanics, items, new dun to be first in ladderboard.

1 -1
Score : 4106

Allow an Official builder tool for your website. Instead of taking down each fan one that is made, recruit one to design a widget/plugin for the website, where it only looks at current gear in Encylopedia (and doesn't data mine). I for one feel that that kind of tool would go a long way to getting the website traffic up and lead to sharing of thoughts and ideas which build a better community.

5 0

Thats a good one.

0 0
Score : 256

These problems are first from the end. This game was destroyed by Adjustable Level System and Stasis Affixes and now all they do is wasting time for trying to make these changes reasonable.

1 -4

Tbh, I like the idea to bring players back to older content. Also I have fun while Im doing als duns on higher stasis. At some point they demand much more thinking and force player to play around mechanics. And for me its better streching for mind, on normal duns there are also mechanics u need to follow but overall at some point u can rush mobs, in als on the other hand u need to think about your position bc u probably don't kill this mob in your turn and thats why I like als on higher stasis, it makes ppl think. (Or take 6 Osamodas team xD)
So I absolutely disagree with you.
Greetings,
Percy.

1 -1
Score : 679

turn up the graphics not all have the latest generation of computers.
you have to fix the bugs that have existed for a lifetime and fix other things.
in my opinion the haven world must be accessible from one point only in the capitals and available, to all the guilds paying in kama (type 1/2 kk) or real money.
the fact that anyone can enter the haven world of others is useless, in many games the "guild houses" are available to everyone.
Then it should be done cleaning the many inactive guilds present if you go to see the list of guilds 80% have been inactive for years! or wax and never used.
Then fighting for a better view of the arenas must be able to rotate, sometimes during the fights with mobs in a point is difficult to understand or hit a specific box

0 0
Score : 256

SirPercedal|2018-06-01 09:27:45
Tbh, I like the idea to bring players back to older content. Also I have fun while Im doing als duns on higher stasis. At some point they demand much more thinking and force player to play around mechanics. And for me its better streching for mind, on normal duns there are also mechanics u need to follow but overall at some point u can rush mobs, in als on the other hand u need to think about your position bc u probably don't kill this mob in your turn and thats why I like als on higher stasis, it makes ppl think. (Or take 6 Osamodas team xD)
So I absolutely disagree with you.
Greetings,
Percy.

Well, ok. I am glad that you find those mechanics interesting and challenging and i am glad that Ankama still has players who want to play this remake of once wonderfull game made with heart and soul with unique atmosthere and really interesting ideas.
As for me i will just admit that that game does not exist anymore and will live with that.

P.S. The main reason for me to leave were Stasis Affixes. The only problem with ALS was that i was forced to use it.
1 0

Hi Fumafian,

We hope we can change your mind with the upcoming Stasis dungeon revamp, you can learn more about it here.

Score : 1175

I agree with all you said, but first a good pvp system 24/7 (this will bring balance to all classes) then other things. Let wakfu enter in the e-sports era please. It is an strategic game, should bring competition as a first priority.

4 -1
Score : 488

I would like to request to have open world pvp back for those who have their wings open. So, you can have an option of Open/Close wings. If you walk around in the open world with wings open you can attack other players with wings. Closed wings cant be attacked or cant attack. This way players who want to battle for reward can do it when ever they want while they wait for battle field to open.

Also, lets have Kolosseum- where 3 players can sign up to fight another 3 players across the servers. Once player levels and other requirements met. All players will get teleported to a map where they can battle.

Question. Any idea when No Ottomi Island, Minotot Island, Pandwa Island, Kaolak Island or Nolifis Island will be released? At least some sort of new island will make things more fun smile

5 -1
Score : 1206

I feel like the removal of open world pvp made politics somewhat irrelevant and the current battlefield system does not replace it. So i hope a coming update can make it relevant again. Also a 24/7 pvp system would be amazing to keep the game interesting (for pvp lovers at least). And ofcourse the usual pvm content and server first events seem to be lacking for the last few months.

2 -1
Score : 3778

The UI is outdated, this is a known fact. There was some abandoned attempts by the devs in the past; it even made it to the "roadmap" a couple of times...

This is an old game, 4k… we don’t even have HD textures yet, just so you know. Asked many times, but not planned.

I’ve personally no issues with the HP bar, beside the fact that they aren’t always visible on busy fights. (overlapping bugs)

Indeed. Blame Java, and don’t ask for 4K. lol

Kinda goes with the outdated UI issue, good UI is simple UI. It really got bad with the spell revamp update (drop down menus.... euh we're in 2018...)

All the mentioned points are well known already, BUT these aren't the biggest issues of the game (these are really small issues in comparaison, not so sure why you made a list with those tbh), and this is not why Wakfu didn't and wont dominate mmo... And beside the game itself, what would need to be improved a lot would be the marketing.... but then again the game is super old (I've been playing since 2010) so it's kinda late for that. Animation team should work more with the game one.

Anyway, this is sad as there aren't many similar games.

2 0
Score : 591

It really surprises me how most people (in this post) have their focus on "What to improve and make Wakfu successful" all messed up, while the rest lost faith a long time ago, like me.

Sure, we can all have dreams and wishes or whatever, but some things are nigh impossible to accomplish considering the game's engine and Ankama itself.
There won't ever be anything like "optimization updates"...the devs can barely give back items lost during game-breaking bugs, so I wouldn't hope in 4k textures any time soon. (I wholly agree on a new UI though; The thing is that after the big red flaming ad "SUBSCRIBE" button, I lost faith in them for what regards UX design).

With that said, it's too late for Wakfu...way too late; The game is too messed up; Trying to fix anything and making it a proper MMORPG competitor is (imo) not possible nor profitable.

What bothers me (and many others, I'm sure) is that the game always had a ton of potential, but the dev team never truly listened to the community and instead kept focusing on the wrong stuff: "Revamp" after "revamp" (be it nation/class/old dungeons) the time goes on, but there's barely anything really new...something to look forward to (No, I never considered ALS a good addition to the game, not implemented like that atleast).
All those revamps would have been good side-content, but to keep your game fresh and fun, you need a steady stream of content, and make that content not a hassle to reach (Mount Zinit anyone?).

This is a good segway for one of my biggest gripes with the game atm (or to be precise, "at the time I stopped playing it around 1 year ago"): It's barely approachable by someone new who might wanna try it. No, I'm not talking about the overall "new player experience", even thou that definitely needs some attention; I'm referring to how annoying it is to deal with some things in this game.

Just to give a couple of examples:

- Stat/abilities distribution: Limiting players by gating "experimentation" and "fun" behind a paywall/grind is pretty dumb imo. The pages thing was a step forward I guess...but not good enough. Why make it such a stress and gate it behind either a big grind or some money? Even then, you'll still be limited at the end of the day.
What if I used up all of my 3 ability pages for the 3 types of Osa that I usually play (full support; dps summon; ranged dragon osa), but one day I decided to try something different/wonky like tank Earth osa? I can either farm non-stop for 2-3 weeks (as a f2p player with no heroes), or just pay for a new ability page...and even then, things are supposed to change, and so are the stats that you might wanna use for a specific spec (and Ankama is not famous for giving compensation/free respecs to classes that get changed heavily).
Can you imagine how much of a hassle this is for a new player? Sure, they get free restats at 30 and 80 (if they ever reach it) but the road from 80 to 200 is pretty effin' long.

Solution: Just give players free respecs so they can start messin' around and test different builds for their classes without having to commit to 1 month of farm or $$$.
If you really want to limit it, make it like WoW talents, by either introducing a small gold fee or a specific, not that hard to get item to change them.

- Leveling: This is definitely a weird one, isn't it? All the big MMORPGs on the market figured out that leveling is not really enjoyable for the player, unless you have many ways to keep the players engaged during the time they grind their way towards the cap, but even then, the process is never too lenghty;

WoW gives players a free boost to the past expansion cap level with every new expansion, plus a service to instantly boost a character to the lvlcap; Even leveling from 1 to cap, without heirlooms doesn't take more than a couple of weeks;

FF has a pretty "elaborate" story that guides you through ALL the old content up until the latest one and has many ways to speed up the process from daily dungeon runs that give a % of xp based on your level and stuff like that. You can reach cap in about a week if you nerd hard on it.

GW2 is more on the "grindy" spectrum, but the amount of stuff that makes the world feel alive (chain events that lead to big world bosses; rewards for exploring places and doing secret jumping puzzles; dungeons with completely different routes and difficulties that change the encounters completely, etc ) eases the whole process.
Plus, once you reach end-game, there's a ton more stuff that you can do, but that counts for the aforementioned games aswell.

Now, compare all of that to what we have in Wakfu. How long does it take, both as a non-sub and as a sub user, to get a character from 1 to 200 (no powerlevel)?

Before people start raising pitchforks & stuff, I know it's not "right" to compare it to the others, since Wakfu doesn't really have much for true end-game content, and it's "different" as it's more about all the content you run from 1 to 200 instead of what you run at cap, but that's the issue I think.

If Wakfu's content was more "streamlined", progressing through the game wouldn't feel like a huge chore, especially since the old content has 0 people running it (except people doing ALS challenges etc). A new player will most likely quit by level 40-50 for how slow and unorganized the progression is. Mob grind is better to be left in the year 2004-2005, this is 2018.

Solution: A level-squish; A complete revamp on how the game's content progresses; Decrease the amount of XP needed for each level, by keeping it pretty much the same from 1 to [new cap after level squish] and increase it a lil' bit with every level; Higher bonuses to raise alts without powerleveling.

And those are only a couple of aspects (from the many) in which the game, in my opinion, lacks and it could have been improved by a great deal during the years...but I'm afraid that wasn't the case.
Pretty sad because really...not to sound repetitive...I loved this game and it's always sad seeing all that wasted potential (and beautiful art), "die" like that.

[Sorry for the long post]

5 0
Score : 970

Totally agree with the interface needing a fix and optimization being poor.

PvP should be the absolute last thing on the priority list. Not to hate PvP, I am a very competitive player and love PvP, but thinking Wakfu could be competitive like other "esports" games is just laughable to me. The game is just not built for balanced PvP play and honestly, extremely little skill is involved. Fights are decided by class, gear and build paths.

The changed made to the game over the last two years all seemed like desperate attempts to keep the game alive and few of these changes really improved the game or attracted more players. What the game really needs is a more interesting politics system and simply more content for levels 80+. The most I had on this game was playing a new character for scratch and just explore all the different dungeons the nations have to offer. Apart from the quests at the higher levels, there is  little interesting content and players find themselves grinding the same mobs over and over.

There is also very little incentive to do professions. The best items are all available by grinding dungeons and I think it would be cool being able to obtain equally strong items by crafting. 

The social aspect of the game which I loved also almost completely died out. The hero system was maybe necessary to enable the existing playerbase to run content they could otherwise not do because there were simply no other players to play with, but it totally killed grouping up with random players, having a chat and making friends.

1 -1
Respond to this thread