FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

(Endgame PvM build) - Invoker's Spellbook: Light Arrow Huppermage

By challengeacepted - MEMBER - July 13, 2017, 14:24:16

:tap: Introduction:

Hey! Welcome to my first-ever build guide in english. I'm Arghal / Varghul from the Elbor server, and i will be guiding you in which spells, passives, actives and order you should pick if you want to have a perfectly functional, hard-hitting Huppermage. Keep in mind, that english is not my main language, so apologies in advance if i seem to screw up with vocabulary or typography.

To begin with, i will focus on a single thing that i cannot stress enough whenever playing a Huppermage: Requirements. Being a rather unique class, Huppermages have quite a few requirements to play one build or another. For this one, the absolute main requirements will be Lv.170, so that you have the "Fullness" passive evolved. A single WP on a piece of equipment is also needed, (Preferably belt. There's at least one belt with WP in each Lv. Gap between 170 and 200) so that you get the very useful +75 BQ. Of course, 12 AP to work with every turn is a mandatory standart for this class. 

:tap: Equipment:

Not much to say in this aspect: Anything that gives you REALLY good Distance or Single Target Damage is welcomed. Critical Damage is also welcomed, but it's advised to pick the former two instead, due them always being guaranteed damage. 

Getting +3 Range is essential for ranged combat.

Keep in mind, there's 2 conditions a Hupper MUST fullfill on its equipment in order to perform adequatedly with this build: An extra WP (Belts) and AT LEAST A SINGLE Bi-Elemental piece (which will be Fire / Air).

Keeping an eye for Resistances is also adviced, since a dead character cannot do damage at all. A final build (pre-Ogrest) should attemp to look like this: BiS Pre-Ogrest Huppermage.

:tap: The build:

The build will be based around on consistent, heavy damage by the user. This means that we will be less reliant on the "gimmicky" parts of the Huppermage and rather focus on a more streamlined way of playing it. I will present the build down below, aswell as the best possible way to throw your spells on every turn, but you should be aware that sometimes, the situation demands that you do something else rather than being able to perfectly throw your spells the way this guide will tell you. A skilled Huppermage will be one that can still perform adequatedly regardless of the situation.

With that said, lets get down to it!!

Now, before you slap me in the face, let me elaborate on the missing things:
  • Heart of Fire: Heart of Fire is a VERY nice active for High-BQ Tear / Orb spam builds. However, Heart of Fire presents an issue in builds based on Light Arrow: You CAN'T skip your passive BQ regeneration at ANY point. This is due to the fact that it is needed to fulfill the cost of at least a single Arrow per turn, and not being able to will result in a massive damage loss even factoring in the 20% extra Damage Inflicted coming from the turn in which you activated Heart.
  • Wall of Light: This is not a Nogord nor a PvP build. A lot, and i mean a LOT of the PvM content is able to bypass the Wall's line of sight block due to its nature of punishing this. And while nice, the MP reduction on unsuspecting NPCs is not enough to guarantee it a spot in the deck. Also, Cras exist for that purpose.
  • Shiny Orbs: Shiny Orbs has the honorable mention of being one of the few AoE spells the Hupper has that can actually do some damage, aswell as being able to apply any "Elemental Passive" effect twice. However, while the later is appreciated in Support Huppermage builds, Shiny Orbs is still a mediocre Light spell which doesn't do enough for this build to justify making space for it in the deck. You'd be better off firing a charged Light of Dawn at any time if you are unable to perform lineal interaction with your target.
  • Twilight Beam: The description is a LIE. Even factoring in the maximun BQ possible (999), a stack of 50 "Fullness", the Earth Passive's cost cut and many other factors, Twilight Beam is a rather underwhelming spell in damage when compared to the potential damage you could be doing with the enormous amount of BQ the beam burns. However, it remains a solid pick for Nogord builds since it's easy to pinpoint which element you want to hit for with it. In short: Twilight Beam is an utility spell, not a damaging one. And we already have plenty of utility that doesn't involve killing our own damage for a while.

With that addressed i belive i can now finally start with the build itself:

This is a Fire-Air-Water Huppermage build, and will mostly operate with the first 4 spells located on the upper bar, relying on as many turns of charged Light of Dawn and x3 Runes Light Arrow (x4, if possible sometimes) damage as possible. You should not be trying to always push for 4 Runes, because in the end, you not only lose damage (an extra Rune does not outdamage the 42 extra damage on Light of Dawn's burn component), but you also miss timing on your main playmaker, which is the Rune-burning component of Light of Dawn, a key factor in Rune swapping that allows you to never lose your runes at any point in the battle unless spent or not swapped. Having 4 Runes up also makes it considerably more difficult to control Light's chromatic element. 

With this said, the Huppermage will constantly be swapping runes and switching its Light spell's chromatic damage between Fire and Air, depending if the Air Rune is active or not, which is something i will explain further below. Since water is an element we only waste 2 AP for Rune generation and is always being punished by a -6 or -9% Elemental Mastery due other Runes being active at the time of its use, it's MANDATORY to carry at least a single Bi-Elemental piece (Fire / Air), so that water always gets less priority than Air and Fire and thus you always apply the deck's "Elemental Passive" effects, as well as guaranteeing control between these two elements.

The rest of the spells in the deck operate as support for the Huppermage itself or its party members, covering what you may need in combat.

I will not go on detailing every spell's description, as a Huppermage from this level should already know what spell does what. However, i will quickly explain myself on some of the deck's active and passive picks:

-Actives:
  • Mirage: Mirage is a cheap, useful Light spell that functions either as support (saving an ally by swapping), defensively (save yourself), or offensively (Reaching a mob's back to fulfill a kill condition, which happens a lot in Zinit). Mirage also doesn't consume "Fullness" as long as it's not used on enemies, which makes it even cheaper if you have got some stacks. And last, Mirage is a cheap way to generate extra 5% Damage Inflicted in a standby turn (example: Phase changes) with the "Universality" passive. That's a lot of cheapness in one spell.
  • Collapse: While this Hupper does not have Earth mastery at all because Earth sucks, Collapse offers a niche "Panic button" for either extra burst damage during rune-less turns or quick and easy Earth Rune access to either spend on Visio or save for later use with Wisp. It also gives the Huppermage the posiblity to purposely mess with its regular spell combo, so that Air can take the lead rather than Fire during the first and Rune-less turns, providing much needed versatility. And just like Mirage, it also offers cheap way to generate 5% extra Damage Inflicted, aswell as an Earth Rune on standby turns.
  • Glistening Tear: Tear is the alternate of Arrow whenever target is not in LoS. With this build, the oportunity of using Tear comes right after using Light of Dawn to burn down the Fire Rune, leaving the user with exactly 2 runes, if you had 3 at the time of using the later.
  • Will'o'Wisp: Rune storage is rather useful, specially on standby turns. It also has the utility of being an emergency positioning tool.

-Passives: 
  • Purification: One of the absolutely mandatory passives. Purification will, along the 75 extra BQ, push the passive BQ generation to the needed to sustain the build. It also offers 10% extra Damage Inflicted on Light of Dawn (while charged) and any Light spell (whenever Fire is the highest mastery).
  • New Breath: The second absolutely mandatory passive. Without this, you wouldn't be able to even play the build, since you'd start at 0 BQ, not being able to fire down Light Arrow right away from the first turn. It's also our other "Elemental Passive", allowing our Disc (when swapping Air to Earth) and Light spells (whenever Air is the highest mastery) to eat 15 resistances from the target. A bit silly, but useful nonetheless.
  • Fullness: The final mandatory passive. Fullness allows the build to fire up Arrows for at least 27% reduced cost and increased damage every turn. It also has the potential to make support spells quite cheap, if you are in need of it, due Fullnes not being consumed on anything but touching an enemy with a Light Spell.
  • Dynamo: The Lv.200 passive you should pick. An extremely underrated passive, Dynamo will boost your Elemental spell's damage ratio from 21 / AP to 25 / AP, putting them on par with other classes' spells. It also boosts Light of Dawn massively.

:tap: The Build's Execution: 

Finally here!! Now, i will explain how the build is supossed to work most of the turns. For the sake of time-saving and shameless self-promoting, i will first drop a video showing this build's most optimal spell rotation, then explain the execution itself here. Keep in mind: Absolutely NOTHING on the video is set in stone. A Huppermage is to perform according to the situation.

HUPPER ROTATION VIDEO

• First / Rune-less Turn: This turn will happen in both the first turn and any turn whenever you are "Rune-less". The spell combo behind it varies depending on the situation: If you are too far or can't get close, it's better to attack from afar with Light of Dawn -> Downpour -> Disc -> Light Arrow. However, if you are close enough to use Flux, It's better to opt the way in the video because it will result in 4 Runes up. You will have a bit less damage in the first turn, but WAY stronger damage in the second turn. Choices are plenty to perform during this specific turn, but whenever it happens, it will ALWAYS result in Light spells doing Fire damage, unless the rotation is purposely messed by using Downpour -> Disc -> Collapse -> Disc -> Arrow, to result in Air being your strongest mastery. And last, if you are in DESPERATE need of first turn (only) burst damage, you can input the next combo: Disc -> Downpour (Your Tear will hit for Air) OR Flux (Your tear will hit for Fire) -> Tear -> the opposite of the first one you picked -> Light Arrow. Doing this combo will up your first turn damage tremendously, but will take a tax in your future turns' development, so keep that in mind.
  • Continuous Turns: These turns will often consist of any subsequent turn following the "first / Rune-less" turn. You'll have Universality at 20-25%, allowing you to really start getting things going. The combo behind every subsequent turn is the following: Light of Dawn -> Disc -> Downpour -> Light Arrow. If your target is not in Line of Sight, Tear will follow Light of Dawn in this chain, instead of ending the turn with Light Arrow. The Disc swap will define what will be our Light spells hitting for: From Earth to Air will push Air further, making Air your strongest mastery. From Air to Earth will have the opposite effect, boosting Fire to the strongest, so make sure to hit the target most vulnerable to the leading element. The constant burning and swapping of our runes caused by this rotation will guarantee not only that they are always active, but that we get that tasty 20% extra Damage Inflicted bonus from Universality every, single, turn.
  • Burst Turn: If the Hupper has stored a considerable amount of BQ for 3 or 4 turns by doing its spell rotation correctly, it will be able to drop it this turn for massive burst damage, if the user wants so. The idea behind this turn is to input a different combo, depending on how much BQ you have stored: (540+ BQ) Generate the missing 4th Rune with either a 3 AP Air or Earth spell -> Light Arrow -> Light Arrow -> Light Arrow // OR // (+400 BQ / -540 BQ) Light Arrow -> Light Arrow -> Light of Dawn. Once this turn is performed, the Huppermage will end up with 10% Universality by its next turn, rather than the usual 20%, and you will go Rune-less. Keep that last bit in mind. After bursting, and only if the Runes you currently posses will vanish the next turn, a Huppermage can spend every Rune on Visio Imperium to teleport itself out of danger or give an ally a Range boost (Cra players are perfect target for this, as it also boosts their Damage Inflicted)

That's really all there is to it, it's not a big mystery or anything. It's quite easy to pick and understand, but it has a deceptively high skill floor because you also have to pay attention to the battle itself in order to react accordingly, and having enough knowledge of the build to master some neat advanced tricks wink 

:tap: End: 

First of all, i want to thank you, reader, for keeping up with this wall of text!! I sincerely hope this guide / build has been of help, and of course, i will be open to answer questions or take constructive criticism anytime!! So feel free to post if you have anything to say! :3 

I figured i could have expanded this guide quite a bit for the rookies, but there's a guide that already does a much better job at it than i can possibly attemp to do (Link to it). So rather, i decided to put my knowledge of the class to work for those who already have knowledge of how it works, but are lost on how to play it. This build was designed by me and a few of my Hupper-entusiast friends from the Elbor server, and it has yielded very successful results in Zinit endgame content so far, so we are quite happy with it! 

The build itself can be played as early as Lv.55 (as long as you reach 12 AP) if you use the 3 mandatory passives. However, some things like the +540 BQ Burst turn, will be out of your reach (you can however still perform the +400 turn). 

Good luck and have fun!!

-Varghul, Master of the Elements.

Edit: Polished. New game: Take a shot every time the word "Rune" shows up. 

Edit: NEW BEST IN SLOT FROM OGREST GEAR RIGHT HERE!! (Defensive Alternative)

LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE
11 0
Reactions 33
Score : 896

I was using something close to this build in my 110 Huppermage, glad to see it can do some work in the endgame, I might get back to it in the near future.

Thanks for the guide (: 

1 0
Score : 1473

No problem :3 Thank YOU for passing by!

I've had so many Hupper builds developed during my way to 200. Some where obnoxiously good but extremely clunky to play, and some were a lot more free of restrictions, but weaker on the damaging side.

I belive this one is the perfect balance between them, and it's also surprisingly efficient in damage, too! 

0 0
Score : 1236

Anyone that tries to make Huppers fame be better to play does deserve my respect and upvote!  Nice job!

0 0
Score : 6203

I've been really interested in the high damage numbers on hupper spells, could you post some example hits?

0 0
High enough that i have to purposefully skip a turn in order for the badger to not blow my brains with its killing jump.

Masque is Healer, so it's just there to make sure the Hupper lives for showcasing her Arrow for weakness damage x) 

0 0
Score : 490

Thanks for this smile would like to see more huppers

0 0

Thanks everyone for the possitive reception! I really appreciate it happy 

0 0
Score : 1

Nice Build.

Donatella Versace

0 0

Nice meme boi cool 

(Thank you senpai biggrin

0 0
Score : 39

Hello

with the huppermage you do all the dungeon of the game?

0 0

Yes

0 0
Score : 112

How Light Ele res work? I mean res will decrease damage from light ele, and how i can increase damage from that based on X element

0 0

Light does damage based on your highest Element, and hits for that Element. In the case of this build, it's always between Fire and Air.

However, light is still considered its own element for the sake of Universality. 

0 0
Score : 341

Noob question, but in the video your huppermage still hits relatively hard with the 3ap earth spell, how is this possible even though you have much less earth mastery?

0 0

My Hupper has a very healthy amount of secondary stats, rather than elemental mastery. As secondary stats apply to all spells, my Earth spells are powered up aswell.

0 0
Score : 233

Hey there! I currently have a 140 Hupper, but you said your guide was for min 170 ones
What can I change till 170 to make it efficient?

0 0

As long as you have 12 AP, you can play this build. It's just recommended to be 170 because of the easy access to WP belts and Fullness evolved. 

1 0
Score : 858

my only problem with my hupper is the crit chance, 60-65%  in this game seems like almost nothing, miss my cra always critic, but anyways a full endgame build should have at least 75% but is a little unreal right now, almost all the endgame item coast your life you wallet and you soul haha.
3x light arrow is op as hell, i like Heart of fire on the deck, find it usefull for last turn burst, or when you are in the All or nothing mode,i hate that 4 ap spell for air, and i use Water/fire instead of fire/air cant put another air damage dealer in my team, 2 is enough,also with those new mechanics for pa/pm remove, taking always 2/3 pa from mobs helps a little

0 0

Definitely one of the main grips with the class is that it demands EXPENSIVE amounts of gear in order to unlock its full potential, which is a darn shame, really.

I wasn't considering HoF as a last turn burst: sounds interesting actually! 

Shadows can easily be replaced if you don't like it. I find it useful in the fact that, rather than a pushback like Butterflies, it's a teleport,  which is quite unique for an offensive spell.

1 0
Score : 4237

Heya! I justed to know what is your opinion of Arrow versus Tear. One being more powerful while the other more flexible.

0 0

Arrow will always be a better pick at 4 runes, even vs 2 AP Tears.

Arrow's easy to manage which element you want to hit for, but i'll admit Tear's a bit easier to manage in that aspect.

Both spells are good: they accomplish different things depending on the build, for this one: Tear can be used out of LoS, which is why it's there. 

1 0
Score : 1

challengeacepted|2017-12-03 13:16:30
Try this set instead

Without 12 AP, you cannot play Hupper, at all. It's unplayable below that. 

thank you 
btw I'm level 81 now and I have 12 AP
now I'm having issues which passive skills should I use, because I only have 3 slots for passive skills can you give me any suggestions on what passive skills to use till I reach 200?
for example right now I have 3 slots, can you give me 3 passive skills to use
and then once I have 4 slots what should I use and once I have 5 slots what should I use?
sorry for the trouble, I tested some passive skill combinations but I'm not happy with it hope you can help me
0 0
Try this set instead

Without 12 AP, you cannot play Hupper, at all. It's unplayable below that. 
1 0
Score : 881

Quas, Wex , Exort >_

1 0
Respond to this thread