FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[Guide] Hippolyre, the bard.

By Bluhen - MEMBER - May 07, 2020, 06:33:51

Hi everyone!

I'd like to open this thread as some sort of guide/review of this awesome sidekick and one my favorite. His unique playstyle is welcomed on any team and can do wonders when his spells are used correctly.

So, without further ado, let's go!

Hippolyre

First of all, we need to understand what kind of partner he is and what he does. Hippolyre is a Sidekick that can't attack or heal on it's own (well, technically he can but it is very low and not worth), but instead he bases all of his damage, heals and spells on yours, like some sort of mime or mirror: If you attack, I attack. If you heal, I heal. If you buff, I buff.

This is the core concept of Hippolyre: Reactions. 

A Reaction deals a fraction of the original value of the spell that he replicates and everytime Hippolyre reacts he generates a state called Ovation which, in short, augments the power of the reaction (more about this later). Ovation can be accumulated up to level 100 and will increase the value of the reactions by 30%.

Now that we've understood how this Sidekick works, let's take a look at his spells.

-
Melodies

Hypolyre has access to 3 melodies and each of them has 2 uses: they can be cast directly on an ally or they can be cast on the ground to summon a Glyph. The power of the Glyph is weaker than a direct cast of the melody on an ally but it has the capacity to extend it's effect to every ally that's standing on it. 

Rousing Melody (4 AP): A melody that reacts to attacks. At level 200, it will replicate 20% of the original value of the attack. As a Glyph, it will replicate 10% of the damage done if the bearer attacks while standing on it.

Sweet Melody (3 AP): A melody that reacts to heals. At level 200, it will replicate 30% of the original value of the heal. As a Glyph, it will heal 20% of the original heal to every ally that receives a heal while standing on it. This spell has to be use on the target that you want to heal, not on the healer.

The Glyph can be very strong when you want to heal a group of allies with AoE heals such as Eniripsa's Revitalizing Word or Sadida's Rust

Support Melody (3 AP): A melody that reacts to Buffs. At level 200, it will increase the original value of the buff by 40%. As a Glyph, it will increase by 20% the buffs received by the allies standing on it. It has to be applied to the ally that you want to buff, not on the buffer. 

This spell can be tricky but it mostly works on buffs that aren't a percentage such as Armors, Critical Hits, Hupper's Elemental Mastery steals, resistance, flamming, and so on. It doesn't work on spells such as Eniripsa's Revitalizing Word or Sadida's Gust.

Removing a Melody

Hypolyre can't apply the same melody on more than 1 ally at the same time, meaning that you can't apply Sweet Melody on 2 different allies at the same time. Neither you can stack the 3 melodies on a single ally.

Whenever this happens, the first melody is removed from the previous bearer and an effect is triggered around that player. This effect varies depending on the spell.
  • When you remove Rousing Melody, the previous bearer unleashes an AoE attack around it.
  • When you remove Sweet Melody, the previous bearer receives a small heal
  • When you remove Support Melody, the previous bearer gain a 15% Final Damage buff.

*The Eniripsa was under the effects of Support Melody and after it was applied on Protoflex it was then removed from the eni and got replaced by a damage buff

Active spells:

Pulling Out All Strings (6 AP, 1WP): In short, all reactions are doubled. Expensive but extremely powerful once Hippolyre reached max Ovation.

Last Dance (4 AP, 1PW): Revives a KO'd ally. Once Ovation reaches level 60 it will reduce it's cost by 2 AP. Can be cast on any direction and has a wonderful modifiable range but it has a cooldown of 3 turns.

Topple (2 AP): In short, Hippolyre picks 2 targets to swap places. This targets are called Toppler and Toppled. The switch occurs at the start of the turn of the Toppler. That's it. This spell can be cast up to 8 times per turn meaning that you can pick 8 targets to trade places.
Up Row: Toppler icons. Down Row: Toppled icons.
The Red swaps places with the red, the blue with the blue, the green with the green and the purple with the purple.

This spell can be used in different situations such as:
  • Drive an enemy away
  • Counter spells from the enemy

*The green icon over Hippolyre's head is an state that makes the carrier to teleport right next to Nyl Hunter at the end of the turn. A combo commonly used by the monsters at Moon Island which leaves the player vulnerable to receive a strong hit from the Nyl Ripper.
-
  • Get the back of the enemy easily

In some cases you can even leave 2 targets in a Loop, trading places at the start of each other's turns and obstructing their movement. I say "In some cases" because in others the second swap doesn't work.

Passive Spell

Riktus Dodge: Dodges damage. At level 200, Hypolyre will dodge any attack that deals less than 930 damage, a wonderful spell. It works most of the time but there are instances where Hypolyre won't dodge the attack.

Hidden synergy with summoning classes

Whenever something is summoned inside the Supportive Glyph, Hypolyre gains a lot of Ovation Levels quickly. This combo lets you reach level 100 very easily which means that Pulling Out All The Stops can be used earlier at full potential.
Hypolyre reaching 26 Ovation after a Coney is summoned inside the Supportive Glyph and an additional 26 for upgrading it.
Tips
  • Once you decide to Gear up this Sidekick, the best options are sets with high resistance and items/sockets with high Initiative. This will allow him to reduce the damage of incoming attacks and increase the chances of triggering his passive spell Riktus Dodge. Also, a high initiative means that he will be able to buff and apply melodies before any other action.
  • Try to increase his APs. Having a decent amount of Action Points will allow Hippolyre to mix melodies and glyphs easily and not suffer so much from the high cost of Pulling Out All The Stops.

-
And that's it folks! I really recommend you trying this Sidekick because you won't get dissapointed. It's unique playstyle can combo well with any class and can adapt to kind of situations, even with other Sidekicks (specially with the wide arsenal that the Knights have).

Thanks for reading!

P.S: Please Devs, allow Sidekicks to join fights at Kanojedo. It'd make the whole testing process more easy T - T
10 0
Reactions 1
Score : 52

Hi!

thanks for this guide, I was having doubts in purchasing this guy but now that I read your guide I'm sure to grab him.

1 0
Respond to this thread