Ankama Trackers

[1.72] Dimensional Rifts

By [Ankama]WAKFU - ADMINISTRATOR - May 06, 2021, 14:00:00
DevTracker AnkaTracker

Hello everyone,

Please post your feedback here.

First Ankama intervention

Hello,

We went back on our initial intent after the first feedbacks from the community on the Devblog article, as well as a new reflection from our side.

We realized that the system of starting at the normal pve difficulty had several flaws :

• It was very difficult to offer an interesting, progressive difficulty for all levels, knowing that the difficulty was supposed to increase exponentially. An exponential difficulty leads to side effects where the monsters gain 15 000 HP per new wave -> not very interesting, and risks of abuse / stalling.
  • It was also complicated to combine it with an interesting reward curve that would prevent an endgame team from earning 800,000 times the rewards of a beginner team.
  • Having to kill X waves before having interesting mobs with 30,000 HP created rhythm problems : You would accumulate hundreds of artifacts, you would need to spend 20 turns killing trash mobs before the fight would start to be interesting...

We decided to set a difficulty relative / proportional to the level of the characters in the Rift, in order to offer a consistent and balanced fight for everyone. We believe that this is a time saver for everyone, and a better experience: more positive overall.

The difficulty is scaled on the modulated (current) level of the most high level character of the team that launches the rift fight. To put it plainly : you will face off lvl 215 gobballs right off the bat if your characters are level 215 in the rift.

This difficulty state has been integrated in a bit of a hurry in order to present it to you as soon as possible. We hope to have a maximum of analysis and suggestions from the community.

Thank you in advance for your numerous feedbacks!

[Siu].
See message in context
Reactions 12

Hello,

We went back on our initial intent after the first feedbacks from the community on the Devblog article, as well as a new reflection from our side.

We realized that the system of starting at the normal pve difficulty had several flaws :

• It was very difficult to offer an interesting, progressive difficulty for all levels, knowing that the difficulty was supposed to increase exponentially. An exponential difficulty leads to side effects where the monsters gain 15 000 HP per new wave -> not very interesting, and risks of abuse / stalling.
  • It was also complicated to combine it with an interesting reward curve that would prevent an endgame team from earning 800,000 times the rewards of a beginner team.
  • Having to kill X waves before having interesting mobs with 30,000 HP created rhythm problems : You would accumulate hundreds of artifacts, you would need to spend 20 turns killing trash mobs before the fight would start to be interesting...

We decided to set a difficulty relative / proportional to the level of the characters in the Rift, in order to offer a consistent and balanced fight for everyone. We believe that this is a time saver for everyone, and a better experience: more positive overall.

The difficulty is scaled on the modulated (current) level of the most high level character of the team that launches the rift fight. To put it plainly : you will face off lvl 215 gobballs right off the bat if your characters are level 215 in the rift.

This difficulty state has been integrated in a bit of a hurry in order to present it to you as soon as possible. We hope to have a maximum of analysis and suggestions from the community.

Thank you in advance for your numerous feedbacks!

[Siu].
Score : 4402

Oh so it's like Shutstuft dungeons, is there a minimum level for rift monsters, or can they also downscale?

1 -1
Score : 334

I love the idea in general and I'm glad to see good adjustments are already being made, but since I haven't seen anyone raise the point yet I wanted to bring up heal resist.

Between heal resist, healing orbs granting some amount of sustain to every team comp, and the increasing dominance of armor generation, traditional healing feels completely left behind here. I recognize that without heal resist it runs the risk of feeling mandatory and constraining, but with it tuned as it currently is, building it up over 40 rounds makes relying on healing whatsoever feel completely impractical.

If limiting high-sustain approaches to rifts is intentional then by all means, but if it's more of an oversight then I'd like to see heal resist addressed in some way, such as reducing it by a flat amount after clearing a wave, or simply slowing the normal formula. It's very strange to feel that healers are a poor choice in a dramatically extended fight.

In any case, thank you for your time and consideration, and please keep up the good work \o/

6 0

That's a very fair point.
It has been raised on other places as well. We'll see what we can do with this problematic. The intent is to make rifts an as accessible and open feature as possible.

Score : 160

I am really looking forward to the dimensional rifts! I have tried all of the rifts as a solo character. The bonus when you solo the rift is a ton of fun to have, but I have run into a few issues with solo play.

• The timer feels limiting when you have 30 AP and 10 MP to burn through.
  • In the Sufokia rift, the instant death mechanics from Darth Mussel do not get removed at the end of the wave.
  • The Frigost rift is not ready for testing, but if Ponktius is included, only Huppermages can solo that rift.
Other issues I have run into include:
  • Since no barrels spawn, Royal Puddly can apply instant death that cannot effectively be removed.
  • Enurado Gems have a death animation whenever all Enurado mobs are killed. This takes up a large amount of turn time.

I am happy with the direction the rifts are going. I enjoy fights with mobs from different families, and including Plantalas, Raised Vaults, Tropikokos, and other mobs that have a long term presence leads to fun and interesting interactions.
2 0
Score : 7776

"The Frigost rift is not ready for testing, but if Ponktius is included, only Huppermages can solo that rift."

2 0
Score : 16

Where do these dimensional rifts appear in the dungeons? So far I have not seen one dimensional rift and what is required for a dimensional rift to appear inside the dungeons?

What is also bad I do not even see the dimensional rifts on the world map sad

0 0
Score : 8190

The rifts don't appear inside dungeons, they are separate, You can see them on the map if you enable the dungeons icons, They appear as red portals on the map.

Currently they are available in these locations :

Classic Rifts are added to Astrub, Sufokia, Bonta and Moon.
Ultimate Rifts are added to Harebourg Castle and Zinit’s Summit.

You do have to be using the beta client to see and access them
0 0
Score : 7776

While the overall concept looks brilliant, there are some tiny issues with it:

• The beta server got that issue where monsters will simply NOT attack, meaning every turn we have to wait for their clock to run down to 0. That would also means bossfights with mechanics that require them to attack (such as Mama Gerbean) un-testable on Beta.
  • Speaking of bosses, the Badgeroxx boss MUST be removed from the rift roster of bosses. His mechanic makes mandatory to start the turn 3 cells or less from him, something the Dimensional Rift battles will never give us the chance to.
  • Also, if I spawn a rift with Ashdragon, will there be a fumes hole alongside to activate the boss's mechanic as well? Will Pandora spawn barrels?
  • Can Sor'hon create holes that will stay forever?
  • Will Nyl Croc cause the players to gain the sliding curse?
  • And what about the aforementioned Mama Gerbean? Without the WP glyphs, she is bound to one-shot the team pretty soon!
  • What ARE the bosses that can show up in the time rift? Literaly all of them? From Thork to friggin' Sumorse?
TLDR the rifts are a ton of fun when they work, but some bosses can't fit into this system because of how their mechanic can be quite complex or require very specific maps. I suggest you replace the bosses for the archboss version of them? Those are already fit to just show up in any map and require minimal mechanics and even correct these requirements by summoning whatever is needed for their mechanic.
0 0
Score : 1413

So I just tested astrub (tainela) and moon rifts, bc I was curious how they would scale with a 200 character. Both worked, and monsters did scale. With one person, I didn't encounter any difficulty with the monsters, so perhaps a slightly more rapid scale would work better. As a sram, I was never below ~85% hp out to wave 29 in Astrub and 23 in Moon. A couple issues:

After the first wave, enemy levels display as their normal level. Clearly the Tofurby with 16k hp isn't level 18.

Some enemy spells also fail to scale, like the Regeneration shown here.

Experience does not seem to scale with level at all. 5k xp for a 42 minute fight (even if it was pretty easy) is just not worth the time. Also, maybe scale the drops up - not a lot, but at least make them more useful for the effort that went in. Even if I was an appropriate level, these drops are pretty sad.

It's been mentioned previously, but a 30 second turn is not enough time to use 30ap and 10mp.
 Finally, I know it's asking for somewhat of a redesign, but is there any way you'd consider a "rapid" rift where it goes only to turn 20 or so? 40 turns is a long, long fight.

Coming back to this topic again, after some consideration:

One of my biggest complaints about Wakfu as a game is that it's not easy to play for, say, 1 hour. Even though dungeons have only a few rooms, it's a time commitment to do 4 fights with normal mobs (let's say 10 min each) + a boss fight (that lasts at least 30-45 minutes, if it's level appropriate). A level-appropriate dungeon played solo (2 accounts, heroes on both) probably averages an hour and a half. The same dungeon with a team of multiple players likely requires 2-2.5 hours just due to additional thinking / coordination time. Adding Stasis 1 "rapid" mode definitely helps - but it doesn't solve the problem entirely. This limits the time I spend playing - I can basically only do so on weekends.

Rifts may be an opportunity to offer an alternative to dungeons, perhaps by giving us the option to leave at any time (for lesser rewards, of course). I often don't have 2+ hours to play, and it would be great if a friend and I could do a 30-minute battle and leave with some kind of benefit.
3 0
Score : 1413

Two more things:

• When a new wave is summoned during a player's turn, it would be great for the turn timer to extend a bit. There's a strong incentive to leave 1 monster alive at the end of the round right now.
  • Also, as much as I enjoy having 90% resistance to everything, it's possible that the bonuses for 1-player mode are a little excessive. At least with the current damage scaling from the mobs, which is low for their level.
1 0
Respond to this thread