FR EN ES PT
Browse forums
Score : 573

Requesting to know if Builders are still alright.

By CuddleBeam - MEMBER - May 06, 2018, 14:35:25
AnkaTracker
So, speculation and gossip are a horrible thing so I want to set things clear. I've heard worrisome things on the fan Discord and I want to set things straight.

I've heard that Ankama has requested a developer of a Wakfu-Builder to stop their work on it because Ankama doesn't want anyone to have all data somewhere and use it with an API or something like this.

Is this correct? And if I'm missing anything, please let me know. I request to know what's the full stance on this matter when it comes to fan developers.

I'm worried because I myself have data-mined the Wakfu Web Enciclopedia via a web-scraper and have made a (very crude) Builder for my own purposes. Here's proof of my preliminary work, a download of all items 70-90 so that I could theorycraft my lvl 80 PvP things:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j2rBtDkascQgiijLoBmrayfHWNJ8lZvvAIlC2ZWKW84/edit?usp=sharing

I wanted to later on develop it further and share these sheets which would show, for a certain goal, the most optimal route possible to achieve it, although I feel that would go against the intent of preventing heavy-handed optimization like plugging a Builder into an API would do too.
First Ankama intervention
Hello everyone!

Spling is perfectly right here. Parsing the gamefiles is illegal and against our TOU. On the other hand, the Encyclopedia is a public source that we completely control. We choose what to display there and therefore we do not wish to take legal actions against the players using it to help other players as long as it is not for commercial use! happy
See message in context
Reactions 3
Score : 29
Score : 6658
That is about parsing the gamefiles, which also contains information about unreleased items (like costumes not yet in the shop, etc) or secrets (hidden recipes and such).
I'm pretty sure that is different from getting the information from a public source like the encyclopedia, which is already prepared to only show what should be seen.

And it's not illegal. It breaks the terms of usage of the game, which is different. If you do not reuse game-assets (code, sprites, etc) outside the game for something commercial, there is no reason to take legal steps (for copyright-infringement and the likes).

Pretty much every game I've played has that clauses in their TOS, because one thing leads to another:
First people parse the gamefiles, then they write their own client and then exploits are being used or bots are written.
The official stance will always be to discourage it, to avoid escalation.

Adding things by hand 1-by-1 is the other side of the spectrum, though. In my honest opinion, that is overkill.
Nobody that would want to program a fanproject would do that, and manage to keep it up to date.
Hello everyone!

Spling is perfectly right here. Parsing the gamefiles is illegal and against our TOU. On the other hand, the Encyclopedia is a public source that we completely control. We choose what to display there and therefore we do not wish to take legal actions against the players using it to help other players as long as it is not for commercial use! happy
Respond to this thread