FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Devblog: The Future of the Ecology

By [Ankama]WAKFU - ADMINISTRATOR - October 11, 2019, 17:00:00
AnkaTracker Blog

Many of you would like to see the ecology take on a larger role in WAKFU (this proposal came in fifth in our community survey at the end of 2018).

In 2020, we intend to improve the ecology and ecosystems considerably.

Over the past few months, we've evaluated several possible evolutions and would like to tell you about the one that seems to have the most potential and get your feedback on it.

This isn't a devblog post describing how the ecology will function in exhaustive detail, but rather an overall presentation before we start developing this feature.

Overall Vision

Here is how we can summarize our vision for the ecology and ecosystems in WAKFU:

• Monsters and resources are part of ecosystems through food chains.
  • Players can modify ecosystems in depth to obtain rewards and personalize their world.

Possibilities

We would like to give players more control by offering new possibilities:

• Shape ecosystems by moving species (monsters and resources) between zones and deciding to favor certain species over others.
  • Unlock considerable bonuses for experience, loot and species spawn rate with a high level of satisfaction (bonuses applied to dungeons as well).
  • Allow species to reproduce and proliferate on their own in their zones without the need to "plant" them.
  • Adjust the value of certain resources by controlling the availability and rarity of each species.

How It Would Work

We can summarize the future ecology mechanic with these four major mechanics (note that what we're using the word "species" here to refer to both monsters and harvestable resources:

1) Capturing and Releasing Monsters and Resources

Players will be able to capture species and then release them in other zones to make them flourish elsewhere.
We would like to allow players considerable freedom to shape ecosystems in the game, and players' actions must have visible repercussions in the world.

The levels of the zones will remain set, and the monsters' level, power and experience will adapt to the level of the zone in which they are present.
It won't be possible to release a monster whose level is higher than the level of the zone (where the player is trying to release it).

Example: Players have captured Moogrrs (level 44 on average) and released them in a different, level-120 zone. The released Moogrrs and those that will appear in the zone will be level 120.

These little scenes illustrate Greta the ecologist who has captured a Boowolf, brought it to another zone (inhabited by Bliblis) and released it.

The Boowolf will then devour the Bliblis and proliferate, and the zone will become inhabited by Boowolves!

2) Species Satisfaction

Each species will have a satisfaction "gauge" that will be influenced by the availability of food, the conditions in the zone (temperature and humidity), and the absence or presence of predators.

Players' actions on ecosystems will therefore be important, and if they want to maximize species' satisfaction, they will have to ensure that they are living in zones that are suitable, have enough food, and are not eaten by other species in the zone.

Example: Players want to maximize Gobballs' satisfaction, so they will bring them to a zone where the temperature and humidity are suited to the species. There, they will try to grow abundant nettles (because Gobballs eat them) and ensure that there aren't any Boowolves in the area (Boowolves eat Gobballs).

3) Rewards

The more satisfied a species is, the higher its loot and experience bonus will be.

This bonus will also apply to dungeons.

Example: The Boowolves have a high level of satisfaction, so combats in the Boowolf dungeon have a large loot and experience bonus.

Species satisfaction levels will also have an impact on the spawn rate and rare species rate.

Example 1: The Tofus have a high satisfaction level, and so the Tofu and Tofu Archmonster groups will appear more quickly.

Example 2: The Ashes have a high satisfaction level, and so the Jonik Ash (the rare version of the Ash) will appear more quickly.

4) Automatic Proliferation and Reappearance

Monsters and resources will no longer need to be "replanted", and species will proliferate on their own in zones as long as there is room for them.

A zone could never remain permanently empty of monsters or resources, as species would reappear on their own without player intervention.

This way of operating lets us ensure that the ecology is not unnecessarily punitive for players by depriving them of activity in certain zones.

In the current system, the risk is having zones that are empty of monsters and resources; we would like to shift toward a system in which the risk is not finding the specific species you are looking for.

Example: Some players decide to kill all the Boowolves and others decide to harvest all the Ashes in a zone. While they are fighting and harvesting, the species continue to reappear. If the players fight and harvest faster than the species spawn, they can achieve a state where there are temporarily no more species available in the zone. If they leave the zone or wait a while, the species will progressively reappear.

This scene illustrates the passive reappearance of trees after they were savagely chopped down by Popol Sonaro.

Guarantees

We would like to give players much more control and make it so their actions have consequences, but we nevertheless want to provide the following guarantees:

• There will always be a way to reintroduce a species that has disappeared.
  • Any given zone will never be entirely empty of species (thanks to passive proliferation).
  • The species satisfaction system will not provide penalties, only bonuses.
  • No living species and no developers will be harmed during the development of this feature.

Share Your Opinion

Feel free to share your opinions on this evolution of the ecology by answering this survey and adding your comments below this article.

First Ankama intervention

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the enquiries, we'll share them with the team.

If you have time, please answer our survey about this proposal.

[Flatops]

See message in context
Reactions 78
Score : 4857

No living species and no developers will be harmed during the development of this feature.

Best part. Looking forward to this, will get back with more insights on this.

1 -1
Score : 4230

Idk, harming the devs might be the motivation they need to get this game back on track tongue

1 0
Score : 1591

this sounds wild and there would be a lot of complicating factors especially with upscaling levels of monsters... but i like how much chaos this could bring without really being detrimental to the player experience (compared to how ecosystems work now)... how would the drops work for a level 200 piwi? For example

4 0
Score : 35

Very interesting. Is would be nice to make legendary/epic/relic droppable under lower stasis if high satisfaction is achieved. Or simply give “bonus stasis” based on satisfaction. Just an idea. Looking forward to this.

0 0
Score : 115
Allow species to reproduce and proliferate 

Will every species now get a mating animation like Gobballs? fearbiggrinmellow
4 0
Score : 6527

Please, at least all nonhumanoid.

4 0
Score : 1

and let us please control how much monsters appear in the hm , it's a world where guilds build their own space , where they can xp and have fun together but when a group of 1 monster pops how can we ( people without the right to bomb the group) have fun ...please.

0 0
Score : 1409

Maybe this won't apply to HW (if they still exist), since there are no Eco Reports and Status (like climate changes as seasons)

0 0
Score : 2219

Awesome, variety of Ecology and balance of Ecosystem was one of the specialize of Wakfu once upon a time! Thank you for bringing it back! It is so dull that one flower or one plant overflow the whole zone boringly though~ 

1 0
Score : 131

YES

1000% YES

These are the kind of changes I've been hoping for since the removal of things like piwi/gobballs changing depending on the current ecosystem (stasis/wakfu levels), circa 2009-2010. I have complete trust you guys will deliver a brilliant system.

0 0
Score : 811

How this monster mechanic (lvl up on a high lvl map) will function with monsters that can be captured for battle (osa) ?

1 0

This is an interesting question  pensive

Maybe they will sadly keep the default level? Or maybe not being available for capturing?

0 0
Score : 3556

Eh, I would be excited but I never get my hopes up with Ankama (character creation rework, "new" styles, server merge...)

Nice concept, it would be even better if you guys decide to give Stasis/Wakfu a real function along with the Enviroment rework.

4 -1

I kinda hope this too. I really like the Wakfu/Stasis idea. 

Would be nice to have them working nicely with the Enviroment

0 0
Score : 1903

omg yes. i will single handily forgive you for the rune revamp and add a slot in my coupon which determines how many times you guys are allowed to f up in my book (let's be honest here the room in that thing ran out like 5 years ago but details) in the future if this goes thro!!

i mean do this and you have my absolute undying loyalty and wallet

0 0

I guess the main "question" is about the drops? How it's going to work, if I'm fighting a lvl 200 gobbal? Same drops as normal? Same drops as s50?

How it will be calculated?

Also, how long might take to resource species to grow back? and the position it will grow (for herbs, in this case) will be random? Since there is a 90 resource limit per "chunk"

1 0
Score : -917

Make 15 level moogr 120 lv? or destroy 15 lvs by 120 lvs? ,for what?  There is already dungeon stasis to increase loots,this seems useless while there are tons of other features and bugs in wakfu's progress. work on them, Dislike!, you will destroy ecology completely ^^

0 -8
Score : 1192

I’m not sure if I missed something but how is this going to affect Osamodas summons? Will we now be able to have any monster in the game summonable at a lv 186 version?

Or is there an osamodas rework in our future.

1 0
Score : 100

It seems nice, tho I have a question about this:

"If the players fight and harvest faster than the species spawn, they can achieve a state where there are temporarily no more species available in the zone."

But we can still replant them, right? I understand they're going to respawn on their own, but plants and trees are not going to become like fish and ores, where you need to wait for the resource to spawn back and possibly force the players to compete over a limited amount of resources, right?

3 0
Score : 9303

This seems a tad chaotic, and it's hard to be certain since this is a brief summary but:

• Would it be possible to achieve a balance between multiple species in an area? For example to support a given population of Boowolves, there must be a given number of living Bliblis in the area, with Boowolves dying off if their population is too high to live off the current number of Bliblis? If this isn't the case and the Boowolves would basically replace the Bliblis it could be a bit of a pain.
  • Will this result in new creatures being added to areas that contain carnivorous mobs? For example at the moment there are only Boowolves in southern Sadida Kingdom, there's nothing for them to eat (unless they eat radioactive arachnees). Will gobballs or something be required there with this new system to satisfy them, or will this predator/prey system only apply outside of a creature's native habitat.

A small suggestion would also be to introduce regional archmonsters, these would only appear if a given species is introduced to a certain area and is satisfied. For example (dumb example) Piwis in Dor'Mor cave could produce a magmatic piwi or something. This would provide additional incentive to introduce certain species to certain areas and satisfy them, even if the player's doing it aren't directly interested in the dungeon or mob drops of this species (that is assuming they have unique archmonster gear drops like other archmonsters).

Another thing I'd like to see is a facelift of the Wakfu/Stasis system and the Wakfu/Stasis gear. It was a good idea but currently there's only about a dozen Stasis/Wakfu items of level 35-50, and their stats are incredibly outdated. A good selection of Stasis/Wakfu gear at different level ranges (including 200) would make this system relevant.
2 0
Score : 4159

Edited: Thanks for the correction, seems I missed out that part while speed reading through. A point still stands though, regarding resource gathering. If an entire species is consumed, players would be forced to run dungeons only in order to be able to gather resources from the consumed species. 

It could make the game less interesting as well. Imagine all the zones in the world inhabitated by gobballs, and only gobballs. There would be no more variety in your open-world MMORPG. 

2 0
Score : 7542

"It won't be possible to release a monster whose level is higher than the level of the zone (where the player is trying to release it)."

1 0
Score : 7542
Regarding the species movement and bonus's
>What changes/benefits are there to me going and fighting a lv120 Boowolf over a Lv60 one? 
Different levels of Boowolf gear? Amplified experience? Unique drops? And will these rewards be so substantial that it will generate an enormous competition between the nations?(To th
>Assuming all these monsters are scaled in more than just a Stasis dmg% and Hp% increase, how does this affect Osamoda's summoning and capture?
> Where is the limitation? If i bring gobbals to MT zinit have i just screwed over everyones chance at Arch Dreggon mobs spawning? Or any other unforseen effects?
>Will the monster satisfaction rate Scale with Stasis difficulty? or will there be a cap?

Regarding Automatic proliferation and reappearance
>Will this make all planting seeds (Herbalist, Farmer, Lumberjack and Monster seeds) completely redundent? especially Lumberjack considering there are limited planting locations for tree's
>Will the number of resource points be increased in certain areas to prepare for this change?
>Will professions like Miner and Fisherman have a similiar benefits?

2 0
Score : 4356

Hmm on one hand this makes it more like dofus where everythign respawns.

Ont he other hand the current system is just tedious, so I'm glad for any shakeup you come up with. Also nice to see the old "one species eats another" finally come back.
Also can't wait to make tofus take over the world.

2 0
Score : -917

Suspect--|2019-10-11 23:37:24
Regarding the species movement and bonus's
>What changes/benefits are there to me going and fighting a lv120 Boowolf over a Lv60 one? 
Different levels of Boowolf gear? Amplified experience? Unique drops? And will these rewards be so substantial that it will generate an enormous competition between the nations?(To th
>Assuming all these monsters are scaled in more than just a Stasis dmg% and Hp% increase, how does this affect Osamoda's summoning and capture?
> Where is the limitation? If i bring gobbals to MT zinit have i just screwed over everyones chance at Arch Dreggon mobs spawning? Or any other unforseen effects?
>Will the monster satisfaction rate Scale with Stasis difficulty? or will there be a cap?

Regarding Automatic proliferation and reappearance
>Will this make all planting seeds (Herbalist, Farmer, Lumberjack and Monster seeds) completely redundent? especially Lumberjack considering there are limited planting locations for tree's
>Will the number of resource points be increased in certain areas to prepare for this change?
>Will professions like Miner and Fisherman have a similiar benefits?

well this is what i have pointed , you explained well
0 0
Respond to this thread