FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Allocate more RAM to improve performance!

By [Ankama]WAKFU - ADMINISTRATOR - May 26, 2022, 17:00:00
AnkaTracker Announcements

Ever since Ankama Launcher arrived in your little slice of digital krosmic space, we've been adding new options to help make your gaming experience even better. This article contains information to help you improve your client's performance for the WAKFU game.

Allocating more RAM to the game client

• From Ankama Launcher, on the WAKFU game page when your client is closed:
    • Open the options menu (the gear icon under the "PLAY" button).
    • On the General tab, go to the advanced user settings.

• If you have 32 GB of RAM:
    • On the line "Java XMS (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "4096m" or "2048m"
    • On the line "Java XMX (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "4096m"

• If you have 16 GB of RAM:
    • On the line "Java XMS (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "2048m"
    • On the line "Java XMX (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "4096m"

• If you have 8 GB of RAM:
    • On the line "Java XMS (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "1024m"
    • On the line "Java XMX (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "2048m"

• If you have less than 8 GB of RAM:
    • On the line "Java XMS (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "512m"
    • On the line "Java XMX (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "1024m"

• If you want to reset the default values:
    • On the line "Java XMS (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "512m"
    • On the line "Java XMX (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "768m"

• Finally, close the options page and launch your WAKFU client.

​​​​​​Allocating more RAM to the client can often fix the following problems:
  • Persistent black loading screen when entering a new game area
  • Unstable frame rate ("freezes" or "micro-freezes")
  • Game instability

The demonstration video below was made for a machine with 16 GB of RAM:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is "RAM"?

RAM, which stands for Random Access Memory, is your machine's "short term memory". It's used to store all the information being processed by the software you're using. In other words, RAM is partially responsible for how quickly the different software and tools on your machine will run.

What is Java XMS and Java XMX?

The settings Java XMS and Java XMX specify, respectively, the minimum and maximum amount of memory allocated for an application. This means that your Java application will launch with a minimum XMS level of memory and a maximum XMX level.

How can I find out how much RAM is installed and available on my Windows PC?

• Open your Windows Settings (from the Start menu or by using the keyboard shortcut Windows+I).
  • Open the System menu.
  • Next, open the "About" sub-menu.
  • The value displayed on the "Installed RAM" line represents the amount of RAM installed on your Windows machine, and the "Usable RAM" value is the amount that's actually available.

How can I find out how much RAM is installed and available on my Mac running macOS?

• Open the Apple menu at the top left of the screen.
  • Click on the "About This Mac" sub-menu.
  • The value displayed on the "Memory" line represents the amount of RAM installed on this Mac.
    • To see how much memory is being used, and thus how much is available, you'll need to open the Activity Monitor and check the Memory column.

My client shows a black screen and stops loading. What should I do?

You may have allocated more RAM than is available on your machine, and we recommend that you reset the default values.

Enjoy your optimized WAKFU experience!
Reactions 4
Score : 14496

Thanks a lot for this tutorial!!! huh

2 0
Score : 9804

Finally! It has become official.
This will help out quite a lot of players out there.
Thank you! fire

2 0
Score : 1583

As a chronic sufferer of the black loading screen, I am incredibly grateful for this post. Thank you very much! I had a little bit of time on my hands, so I decided to make a step by step supplement tutorial to accompany this, with still images for reference. It is rather long, so I put it under a spoiler tag. I hope someone may find it useful happy Happy gaming!

Spoiler (click here to show spoiler)

How to Allocate More RAM for WAKFU, Windows 10 PC Edition

First, how do I find out how much RAM is available on my computer?

For quick access to the basic information about your machine, type the word "about" into the search bar next to the start menu at the bottom left of your screen.

[Image 1: The search bar is on the left side of your taskbar, if your taskbar is aligned horizontally to the bottom of the screen. If your taskbar is aligned to the right, left, or top of your screen, the search bar has been collapsed and may be accessed by clicking on the picture of the magnifying glass next to the start button.]

The first search result shown should read "About your PC". Click this result and a new window will pop up detailing your device's specifications.

[Image 2: Clicking on this search result will bring up the data about how much RAM you have installed on your computer.]

For me, "Installed RAM" is the third item shown in this list. When you locate how much RAM is installed, follow the corresponding instructions in the above post to ensure you enter the correct data on the Ankama Launcher. My device has 8 GB, so this tutorial will be using the instructions for that amount of RAM.

[Image 3: Here is the pop up window showing the information about my device. The red arrow shows where the RAM for my computer is listed.]

Now that I know how much RAM is available on my computer, I can proceed with making the changes in the game launcher. Open the Ankama Launcher and log in. Make sure, of course, that you have selected the tab for WAKFU from the games menu and that you are not looking at the startup screen for the BETA client (the BETA client only has three opaque buttons beneath the PLAY button).

[Image 4: This is what the home page for the BETA client looks like. This is not the client we want to apply the changes to. Use the drop down menu next to the WAKFU BETA logo to select the "Wakfu" version of the game.]

If your Ankama Launcher screen looks like the above image (Image 4), the wrong client has been selected. You will know you are on the correct page if there are four buttons in a row beneath the PLAY button that launches the game (see Image 5 below). The button furthest to the right in this row is the "Game options" button. Click on that button to access the GAME OPTIONS menu.

[Image 5: This is what the home page for the core game looks like. The "Game options" button is the last in the row and has a picture of a cog on it.]

The GAME OPTIONS menu will open from the right side of the launcher. Make sure you are viewing the information on the "GENERAL" tab. If you have not opened the advanced users settings before, these options will be hidden. Click on the "Display advanced users settings" slider to see the input options for Java XMS and Java XMX.

[Image 6: Here is the "GENERAL" tab of the GAME OPTIONS menu. The advanced users settings are not currently showing. Click on the "Display advanced users settings" slider to see the information with inputs that you are about to change.]

You will know the advanced settings are showing when the slider turns light grey and the little white button is aligned right. Three new lines of text will appear above the option for "Automatic updates". You will only be changing the values of the data in the top two lines: Java XMS (XMS < XMX) and Java XMX (XMS < XMX).

[Image 7: Here we can see the advanced users settings have been added to the window. Only the two that are circled are the ones you will change.]

Now you can enter the new information for your computer found in the above thread. For mine, the value for Java XMS becomes "1024m". The value for Java XMX becomes "2048m". Do not forget to add the lowercase m at the end of the number.

After you have double checked that your new values match with 1) the allocated RAM of your computer and 2) the information in the above post, you can close the GAME OPTIONS menu by clicking the circled X to the left of the menu window. May the newfound stability of your World of Twelve experience astound and delight you.
0 0
Score : 484

Next step is cranking the default values to
On the line "Java XMS (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "1024m"
On the line "Java XMX (XMS < XMX)", change the value to "2048m"
Because the majority of PC players have 8GB RAM. This would improve first time player experience.

1 0
Respond to this thread