FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[Misc. Guide] Reduce shuttering and Java fix

By JerryDB - MEMBER - February 24, 2015, 16:42:33

Firstly this guide was written on the steam forums however its gone missing so I am going to try to make my own version for the benefit of people who have some problems with the Wakfu client.

I do not know much about java however this worked for me so I am hoping it will work for others.

Wakfu uses java and java eats more memory as times go along, if you play more than 1 account, this problem because worse. So you would need to frequently quit the game and relaunch in order for a temporary fix.

This guide is for a Windows PC as I am not familiar with Mac OS or Linux and how their java works.

To enlarge the images Right Click View Image.

Go to the wakfu launcher, go to options, untick "use the java version provided by Ankama".

You may need to download java.

Go to Control panel.

Go to java (whatever version you have)

Go to Java tab, View, you may need to click add. Double click on "run time parameters" then type in the code (see below) I use -Xms4096m & -Xms4096m .

Now lets talk about how much memory we should allow java to use. I personally let Wakfu use about 700-800 Mb per account I have 8Gb of RAM. I can easily play 6 accounts on -Xms4096m & -Xms4096m.

Xms sets the initial amount of memory.

Xmx sets the static amount of memory.

So depending on the amount of RAM you have and the amount of RAM you can allocate for Wakfu that is up to you. Please remember give your operating system enough RAM to operate.

The code for this is:-
  • -Xms512m & -Xmx512m - not recommend I think you need more than this
  • -Xms1024m & -Xms1024m
  • -Xms2048m & -Xms2048m
  • -Xms3072m & -Xms3072m
  • -Xms4096m & -Xms4096m
To seperate the Xms and Xmx just make sure to use 1 space.

This guide has been updated with Nerd-Teases information.

Click OK, Click Apply.
3 0
Reactions 18
Score : 703

while this may help somewhat, id consider also using the flag below that matches

-Xmx1024m
-Xmx2048m
-Xmx3072m
-Xmx4096m

This will keep the memory available to java at a static amount rather than just setting the initial memory allocation.

you can choose to still use the version of java provided by ankama with these options, though you will need to add another entry on the java control panel that points to it

0 0
Score : 15981
Nerd-Tease|2015-02-28 05:47:20
while this may help somewhat, id consider also using the flag below that matches

-Xmx1024m
-Xmx2048m
-Xmx3072m
-Xmx4096m

This will keep the memory available to java at a static amount rather than just setting the initial memory allocation.

you can choose to still use the version of java provided by ankama with these options, though you will need to add another entry on the java control panel that points to it
My friend who knows a lot about java actually told me to use Xmx instead of Xms however I didn't understand the difference SO like a silly person I kinda followed so wiki guide. Thank you very much for the information I have updated my guide.

Please feel free to tell me any more useful information.

On using Ankama java I personally think going forward it makes more sense to never use their version as I can easily see potential issues happening, such as Ankama changed XYZ now this fix doesn't work OR it creates some other issue which we are unaware of. You know what Ankama is like.

On a personal note I think its easier to untick the box and not add in the extra line, but thats for the info.

I have included your whole post on my steam guide.
0 0

to clarify, i meant to use both, so the line would look like
-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m

2 seperate options that can be used together for greater effect

2 0
Nerd-Tease|2015-03-01 06:21:38
-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m

Hello, Sorry I misunderstood what you said.

I have updated my guide to reflect what you have said. Please can you tell me if it makes sense and is correct.
0 0
Score : 1821
JerryDB|2015-03-04 13:31:23
Nerd-Tease|2015-03-01 06:21:38
-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m

Hello, Sorry I misunderstood what you said.

I have updated my guide to reflect what you have said. Please can you tell me if it makes sense and is correct.
You have Xms on both entries for all but the first line.

*edit* I would remove the ampersand (&ampwink from each line too
0 0
Score : 162

Heya,

I have 16 GB ram, how far can i go ?

is - -Xms8000m & -Xms8000m workiing x) ?

Ty 

0 0
Punchy1995|2015-03-10 03:40:40
Heya,

I have 16 GB ram, how far can i go ?

is - -Xms8000m & -Xms8000m workiing x) ?

Ty
if you wanted to give java 8 gigs the following would go there:

-Xms8192m -Xmx8192m

Unless you are running something else that uses java at the same time though (or 8 accounts), this is probably excessive and will only tie up memory you could use for something else.
0 0
Score : 178

Hope you can clarify me this one...

If i have 4gb ram, and i run 3 accounts what should i input on the run parameters of the java?

0 0
timadeitor|2015-03-18 16:48:29
Hope you can clarify me this one...

If i have 4gb ram, and i run 3 accounts what should i input on the run parameters of the java?
4GB, OS needs some, as does anything else that might be running (AV, browser windows, chat programs, music players...(don't know your use case), etc.)

To run 3 clients on 4GB, I would probably let java determine memory usage in this case to avoid potential issues with running too much at once. While setting these parameters can improve some aspects, it will also in some cases use more memory than is actually necessary.
0 0
Score : 205

Can you help me aswel ?
I got a total of 8 Gb Ram

And i use 4 accounts.
(after a while they get laggy even if my processor and memorry is not 100 % in usage.

but still i wanted to try this guide.

but how much should i full in the Runtime parameter at my java.

I was thingking about 6 gb.

but maybe you can help me ?

0 0
Score : 865

According to task manager, the game doesn't seem to use any more than 1GB anyway, no matter what I set Java to use. Is it useless to set it any higher than 1 or 2?

0 0
Cantisque|2015-04-13 18:52:05
According to task manager, the game doesn't seem to use any more than 1GB anyway, no matter what I set Java to use. Is it useless to set it any higher than 1 or 2?
These settings just set the minimum and maximum amounts of heap space available to java applications. setting them higher does not mean that the application will use all of what is available to it. These values are more useful for constraining a maximum amount than a minimum, as the minimum amount needed will vary based on actual requirements.

Most people have no real need to change these settings, and I would not advise doing so unless you understand the impacts this will have on not only wakfu, but any other java application using the same JRE.
0 0
Score : 205

that might be true indeed. but strange thing is 4 accounts is playable for me. but after a while i experience a bit lag on 1 or 2 clients. and it switches between clients sometimes.

And sometimes it even lag on 80 % processor and 80 % memmory usage.

so how is that possible ? i tought it was a memory leak or something wich players spoke about

0 0
Score : 1191

sad that this thread died, so i'm reviving it after a little bit of research are we sure its possible to allocate that much memory to java 32bit?

can wakfu use java 64 bit?

since I have 16gb and love wakfu i'm attempting now to try
-Xmx8192m -Xms8192m

0 0
Score : 1549

It worked perfectly for me 8)

Thank you so much!

0 0
Score : 34

Are you sure?
I followed the guide.
I disabled the use Java provided by wakfu option and changed the java settings.
According to Process Hacker this is what is being used

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Ankama\Wakfu\game\jre\win32\x86\bin\java.exe"  -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=92m -XXermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=30 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=0 -XX:+UseTLAB -XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx536870912 -Xms177167401 -d32 -cp core.jar;lib/akka-actor_2.11-2.3.14.jar;lib/akka-remote_2.11-2.3.14.jar;lib/annotations-13.0.jar;lib/annotations-2.0.1.jar;lib/ant-0.1.jar;lib/antlr-runtime-3.5.2.jar;lib/aopalliance-1.0.jar;lib/args4j-2.0.29.jar;lib/colt-1.2.0.jar;lib/commons-lang3-3.0.jar;lib/commons-pool-0.1.jar;lib/concurrent-1.3.4.jar;lib/config-1.2.1.jar;lib/forms-rt-0.1.jar;lib/gluegen-rt-2.2.4.jar;lib/gson-2.3.1.jar;lib/guava-18.0.jar;lib/guice-4.0.jar;lib/guice-assistedinject-4.0.jar;lib/guice-multibindings-4.0.jar;lib/haapi-client-java-2.3.1.jar;lib/javassist-3.18.2-GA.jar;lib/javax.inject-1.jar;lib/jdom-1.1.3.jar;lib/jersey-client-1.19.jar;lib/jersey-core-1.19.jar;lib/jersey-multipart-1.19.jar;lib/jinput-2.0.5.jar;lib/jinput-platform-2.0.5.jar;lib/jna-3.5.2.jar;lib/jogl-all-2.2.4.jar;lib/jogl-cg-2.2.4.jar;lib/json-0.1.jar;lib/jsr305-3.0.0.jar;lib/jsr311-api-1.1.1.jar;lib/jutils-1.0.0.jar;lib/log4j-1.2.17.jar;lib/luajava-0.1.jar;lib/lwjgl-2.9.3.jar;lib/lwjgl-platform-2.9.3.jar;lib/metrics-core-3.1.0.jar;lib/mimepull-1.9.3.jar;lib/netty-3.8.0.Final.jar;lib/netty-all-4.0.34.Final.jar;lib/platform-3.5.2.jar;lib/protobuf-java-2.6.1.jar;lib/protocol-client-0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar;lib/protocol-server-0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar;lib/proxy-netty-0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar;lib/proxy-protocol-client-0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar;lib/reflections-0.9.9.jar;lib/scala-library-2.11.5.jar;lib/slf4j-api-1.7.12.jar;lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.10.jar;lib/snakeyaml-1.13.jar;lib/steam-java-1.1.jar;lib/swagger-annotations-1.5.0.jar;lib/swt-win32-x86-0.1.jar;lib/trove4j-3.0.3.jar;lib/uncommons-maths-1.2.2a.jar;lib/vlcj-3.0.1.jar;lib/wakfu-binaries-client.jar -Djava.library.path=natives/win32/x86 com.ankamagames.wakfu.client.WakfuClient -n C:/Users/Alexa/AppData/Local/Ankama/Wakfu/carousel --install-folder "C:/Program Files (x86)/Ankama/Wakfu/game" -L en -C US -p C:/Users/Alexa/AppData/Local/Ankama/Wakfu/game --updater-service-port 55760 --partner ${partner} --update-state uptodate

Meaning that none of the changes had any effect.
Honestly it pisses me off that anakama designed the settings in a way that it stutters in the first place. The game should not stutter and have the glitches that seem to plague it with how long the game has been around.

EDIT: After ticking on then off the use anakama java again it changed the java used, however it did not change any of the params meaning that the global params this guide tells you to set are overridden by the params that the launcher sends.
0 0
AgilePriest|2016-09-14 10:39:19
Are you sure?

EDIT: After ticking on then off the use anakama java again it changed the java used, however it did not change any of the params meaning that the global params this guide tells you to set are overridden by the params that the launcher sends.

I see, well I wrote the guide in Feb 2015. So I am not claimed created I didn't deserve, this guide was written on stream by a user then went missing so I re-wrote it.

I fully agree the game should not shutter in anyway consider it was released in Feb 2012, 4 and a half years should be enough time to resolve this issue.

I wonder if a game dev or genuis at java would know how to disable their set parameters and use custom settings.
0 0
Score : 47

Thank you so much
now that the game has a launcher with this option more visible I got the game running smoothly

0 0