FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Meier's guide to the political system.

By Aacher - MEMBER - September 01, 2014, 17:26:16

Since I've been in government, I've noticed that many players (even older ones) are still pretty unsure about what the government members do, how citizenship points work, and who to ask for help, so I'm making this guide to hopefully answer these questions and more. smile

The guide covers information for both new and old players.

LIST OF TOPICS:
(in order)
+What are citizenship points/how do I get them?
+What are the Nation Bonuses?
+War and Calamar Island
+The Riktus Clan
+Positions in government and their roles
+The politics tab
+How do I contact a government member?
+How do I vote?
+Government popularity, removing the Governor, and messages from the government
+The HQ

What are citizenship points/how do I get them?
Citzenship points (CP) are points players can earn (or lose) by carrying out certain actions in the nation. Killing an outlaw or rebalancing the ecosystem in places where plants/mobs are outside of the limits set by the clan member will allow players to earn CP. You can lose it by breaking the ecosystem or attacking players when they are protected by law (the Governor controls whether this law is in place).

10 citizenship points lets you take part in the nation challanges, which give experience points.
100 citizenship points will let you vote in the election (if you have a subscription), be appointed to a government position by the governor, or become a guard (if you do the corresponding quest).
1000 citizenship points and you can run for governor.

Lose over 50 CP and you become an Outlaw...

What are the Nation Bonuses?
If a clan member for an area is satisfied with the levels of mobs/plants in the area, they will grant players allied to their nation (and who have over 10 CP) a bonus. What that bonus is will depend on the clan member, but it includes damage, resistance, prospecting and even some profession bonuses.

Because these bonuses can have a significant impact on the outcome of fights, it's important to try and keep the areas balanced, so players can have these bonuses. This is a job for everyone, but a good government will usually take charge of its maintenance.

To find out what a clan member's wishes are and what bonuses their area gives, press W when in their zone.

War and Calamar Island:
When a nation goes to war, they can fight for the control of Calamar island, which gives several bonuses (including prospecting). To capture it, they must go to war with the nation that currently controls the island and defeat Calamar's clan member to win the island (and its bonuses) for their nation. Nations at war will not have access to each other's drago-turkeys and players from enemy nations are considered outlaws. Nations may only be allied with one other nation at a time, under the present system.
See Army General for more information.

The Riktus Clan
The Riktus Clan is the new nation introduced into the game- a nation of outlaws. This nation is based off of the PvP system: the Riktus governor is whoever is the top ranked fighter from the Riktus nation (they require rank 1 in the merit system). Another difference is that the Riktus get their bonuses by "stealing" them from the other nations. That is, by unbalancing the ecosystem in a zone belonging to another nation, the Riktus get that bonus instead.
The Riktus Clan zone can be accessed via the nation boats (eg, the Thicket of Yurbut boat from Bonta- destination: the Bermuda Triangle) and after that, by the zaap. To join, speak to the Riktus Clan member.

Positions in government and their roles:

Governor: The person in charge. Players can vote for a Governor/run for election through the Jonk or any clan member in their nation. Once elected, the Governor can appoint players to the other government positions to form a cabinet. The Governor controls the laws of the nation (which can drastically alter life for the other players in their nation, in some cases), can declare war on other nations, and has access to all the powers of the other members of the government (eg, like the Treasurer, the governor can set the tax rate).
A good Governor must be a good diplomat and negotiator, and may be called to mediate in disputes between guilds in some cases. They will also hear the questions/comments/complaints/suggestions from players.

Wears a gold and red crown with a fur lined cape.

Vice Governor: The Vice has all of the powers of the governor (can change laws, go to war, etc) and if the Governor should leave government for some reason, it will be the Vice who takes over the position. Their job is to advise the Governor and help them manage the nation. A good Vice will also be skilled in diplomacy and negoitation. Like the Governor, they may be called to help settle problems/disputes between guilds, etc.
They will also hear the questions/comments/complaints/suggestions from players.
Good person to talk to if you have a request.

Wears a silver crown.

Treasurer: The Treasurer has control of the nations funds. They cannot use it for themselves, but can control how the nation spends it and the tax rate, which can be set between 5% and 70%. Taxes are the fee charged to put an item on the market and this money is used to buy better challenges for the nation (so players can earn xp), to pay for changes to the weather (so that plants will grow better for crafters), or to reintroduce extinct plants/mobs into an area if the ecosystem is ever broken beyond fixing (this is bugged though).

Wears a golden pig helmet.

Ecologist: It's the job of the Ecologist to monitor the ecosystem, help fix it, and with the other government members, create a plan for its management. As the ecosystem affects the nation bonuses, the Ecologist has a very important job.
If players notice an area is broken and only if they are unable to fix it themselves, they can PM the Ecologist for help or ask their guild. If they are unable to contact anyone else, they can tell the Vice or the Governor.
If a player sees an eco-terrorist (usually an outlaw, but anyone deliberately ruining the ecosystem), they should tell a government member and attempt to stop the player.

Wears a head band with a paw print on it.

Weather Engineer: The Weather Engineer is the best friend to players with professions, because they can change the weather to help plants grow at the optimal speed. They do this by buying bonuses with money from the treasury.
Players can PM the Weather Engineer to change the weather in an area. However, the weather bonuses have a chance of not working, so the Weather Engineer can't guarentee success.

Wears a gold fan-like hat.

Challenger: With money allocated by the Treasurer, the Challenger can buy challenges from clan members for players to earn extra experience points with.

Wears a horned helmet.

Head Guard: The Head Guard is in charge of security within the nation- hunting outlaws, player-killers, etc.
To be the Head Guard, a player needs to hold the Guard rank first.

Used to wear a fancy helmet, but it's bugged.

Army General: The Army General works with the Governor and Vice when war is declared to defend/capture Calamar Island and defend the nation/attack other nations.
To be Army General, a player must hold the rank of Soldier, which is won by helping to capture Calamar Island (but this is currently bugged, or so I'm told).

Used to wear a fancy hat, but it's bugged.

NOTE: The government is there to help the nation, so if you have a question or need help, ask them! They are not there to help you level, so bear that in mind. If you're not sure who to ask, ask your guild first. If they can't help, then ask a governemnt member. Remember that the government members are very busy, so try and solve the problem yourself first.

The Politics Tab:
Press N in-game to bring up the politics tab for your nation. The first page has information on the government (more about that in the next topic). The second page will show you the laws of the nation that the current government have set. The third page shows the tax rate, funds available, and the state of the nation bonuses.
The fourth page shows the international policy: who's allied/at war.

How do I contact a government member?
Press N in-game and it will bring up the politics tab for your nation. On the first page, it should show the Governor and their speech. Below that is "Governor popularity" and below that is the list of government members. Click the arrow next to it to see their names and PM the one you need to talk to. If you're not sure who to ask for help, read the above list of government positions.
Don't be shy. wink

How do I vote?
Elections happen every two weeks and you can vote at the Jonk or any clan member in your nation. You must be subscribed and have over 100 CP to vote.

Government popularity, removing the Governor, and messages from the government:
On the first page of the politics tab (press N to access it), you'll see any messages from the governor as well as a popularity tab.
People who voted in the election can reward a good governor by giving them positive votes. Over 50% popularity will give that governor a statue in front of the nation's outpost (it used to be the HQ, but that's been made separate until it gets revamped).
Voters can punish a bad governor by down-voting them. Over 50% negative votes will remove that governor from power.

The HQ:
The Council chambers, prison, and Governor's throne all used to be found in the main parts of the nation and were where players could easily meet with government members. It's still accessible, but inconvenient to get to, so until it's put back into the main nation, don't expect to find government members there very often.

That's all for now!
This page will be updated after the politics revamp with more information. Until then, hope it was helpful and feel free to ask any further questions. smile 

4 0
Reactions 11
Score : 28

Thanks. Great guide biggrin.

1 0
Score : 5726

Cheers! biggrin 

0 0
Score : 1777

Alright, confused as to exactly how Clan/Area bonuses work. Stuff says you need to be a member of the nation/have 10 CPs to benefit from them, but they seem to always show up regardless.There's often two Clan Member buffs, one with stats listed, and one that has none when moused over.

Then how does the Riktus membership bonuses work? I had an alt join it to test it out, and the Clan buff showed +25 Dodge, +4% damage (x3) and +10 HP (x3). Is it fairly safe to assume those x3s mean I'm getting 12% damage and 30 HP, and what are those x3s even from? I went out and messed up an area bonus, killing off the local gobbal population. Became an outlaw, lost access to the zapps and dragoturkeys, clan bonus stayed the same, but lost the area bonus for that area. What exactly is the Riktus incentive to destroy ecology when it only seemed to hinder me?

Just not understanding how this works/is supposed to work.

0 0

In theory, the areas that Riktus unbalance in the other nations (so that the Clan member is affected), will give that Nation's eco bonus to Riktus players.

This seems to work fine on my Riktus character, but I've heard others report that it doesn't work well for them.
I think this is an issue Ankama itself must clarify.

0 0
Score : 1777

Nah, I've seen it work as expected since the previous time. I still think it's weird how Riktus' Nation bonus benefits from messing up Clan Leaders, but their Area bonus benefits from keeping the local Clan Leader happy.

1 0

A few things have been updated. happy 

0 0
Score : 4

Is this still up to date?

0 0
Score : 3965

that is a good guide,well done

0 0
Kidney-Stone|2016-11-08 18:43:35
Is this still up to date?
Yes it is! smile (Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the system... Ankama, please update!)

RaderElcaroman|2016-11-09 10:10:36
that is a good guide,well done
Thank you! biggrin 
0 0
Score : 5119
War and Calamar Island:
When a nation goes to war, they can fight for the control of Calamar island, which gives several bonuses (including prospecting). To capture it, they must go to war with the nation that currently controls the island and defeat Calamar's clan member to win the island (and its bonuses) for their nation. Nations at war will not have access to each other's drago-turkeys and players from enemy nations are considered outlaws. Nations may only be allied with one other nation at a time, under the present system.
See Army General for more information.

Actually, you can use Zaaps and Drago-turkeys of an enemy nation (at war), except if you have PvP turned on or if you're an outlaw.
0 0
Score : 11739

JUST PRAISE PRESIDENT TRUMP!!

1 -3
Respond to this thread