FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Risingson's Masqueraider guide

By RedGoldGreen - MEMBER - November 01, 2017, 20:47:16

Hey everyone,

I've been meaning to write a guide for the class i'm most passionate about; the Masqueraider, for some time now. I started playing Wakfu roughly 4-5 years ago and though Masqueraider wasn't the class i picked first, i've mained it for some years. 

What i enjoy most about Masq is how flexible it is. Where other classes' play styles quickly become a routine, you have a ton of options at the start of your turn as a Masq. They're efficient DD's and have many different ways to inflict damage. They can support through heals and have almost unlimited map control. You can clear a path in the battlefield for one of your allies, help an ally gapclose or bring them back to a safe spot after having engaged. They're not only flexible in play style but in builds as well. In this guide i'll focus on my own build, of which i am confident is the best, most optimal way to play Masq.

I.   Introduction
      II.  Stat points
      III. Spells

IV. Gear
      V.  1v1 PvP matchups

I. Introduction - 
I'll start off with explaining my Masqs build. Firstly, i play a very tanky and PvP-oriented Masq. As anybody who has experience with PvP knows; resistances win fights. Particularly for Masq i feel this is important. Due to the Masq needing a ton of dodge to get the stats from the Artful Dodger passive, we have limited ways of getting initiative, and have to accept that we will almost always play second. This means that if you're not tanky, you'll get chunked hard turn 1 and fall behind quickly. It will result in the Masked Spirit spawning with your % HP, thus being low. Outside of 1v1 scenarios it's important to realize that we're front-line assassins that take double damage: we need to be tanky.
Secondly i put a lot of emphasis on MP. Aside from the fact that more mobility is always good, MP very directly translates into damage on Masq due to Fluctuation and Renewal stacks when using MP to dodge enemies.

Right now, my stats are looking like this:

II. Stat points
     Intelligence
In this tree you start off with putting 10 points into resistance, and dump the rest into max HP.
Barrier i feel is not a good pick, because you'll often waste it on collision damage inflicted on yourself. Also, points in barrier (or %HP to armor for that matter) cause your health pool to drop, and the Masked Spirit's HP scales off of your own.

Strength
In the strength tree, put 20 points into Melee damage and Single target. Practically everything a Masq does will be Melee+ST and maxing out these two is very efficient. The remaining 10 points should go into Elemental mastery.

Agility
Masqueraider's options in this tree are very limited, due to the Artful Dodger passive requiring 800 dodge, and it's a necessity to be able to dodge your enemy multiple times in order to stack up your Fluctuation and Renewal. All points should go into dodge.

Chance
In the chance tree there are many possibilities. In my build, i rely entirely on Revival to grant my critical hits. This gives you the freedom to safe 20 points that you'd normally invest in critical hits. Instead i take 20 block, 20 critical resistance, and 10 points into rear mastery. 
Block speaks for itself, with good equips you can easily go towards 70 block which will reduce the damage you take significantly. 20 points in critical resist means you have 80 "invisible" resists when an opponent critical hits you, which will make a lot of difference against classes such as Rogue, Iop, Cra, etc. Lastly, rear mastery is always good on Masq. A situation in which youre unable to backstab an enemy is very rare.
Note: In PvM, block and critical resistance are less of a must-have. Its viable to have a deck with more rear mastery or even crits to increase your damage output.

Major
In the major tree, pick AP, MP, Elemental resistance and %Damage inflicted.

III. Spells

First ill discuss the three elemental spelltree's, and then give my opinion on what the best picks are for passives.

Fire
As much as i would like it to be good, this is the Masqueraider's worst spell tree. It's mostly AoE damage and the base damage on the spells is rather low. Not only would you have to kick superior air and water spells from your deck to include fire, but you'll also be forced to have Tri/AoE items, rather than better gears that specialize in ST and melee. 

- Fracture. Not a good spell. I suppose the Incurable state could work against some opponents, but the base damage on this spell is low and the damage per AP spent is low (so it's not worth spending MP; Fluctuation to amplify this spell's damage).

- Hornito. Garbage. Again, low base damage, low damage per AP spent, flaming is not useful since it's dodge that we stack, not lock.

- Psykotik. I like the idea of this spell and the cast animation is sweet, but it's a bad spell. Same reasons as  the previous two and the AoE is awkward.

- Psynapse. This is a really useful spell. Its a great gap-closer, allowing you to keep your MP and use it on stacking fluctuation and Renewal, rather than chasing your enemy. Also, with Psynapse you jump to close combat before dealing the damage, so both single target and melee damage apply on this one.

- Psyk-Out. This is a useful one as well. Its high cost and the damage is questionable (compared to Spittoon). It's also AoE damage, which is sub-optimal. I carry this spell often nonetheless because the mobility it offers is amazing. You can move through impassible terrain, jump over a Sram's traps, hop right out of a Rogue's firewall; etc. Its situational and expensive to use, but it can be a life-safer.

Water
This is the main damage dealing tree, and also where Masq gets most of his heals from.

- Fugue. I've never really cared for this spell. Being able to move away a cell is a luxury we don't need at all with all the dodge we have, it's a shame to sacrifice one of 12 precious spell slots on this.

- Backbeat. Very useful one. Good positioning tool and viable option to deal damage with when you're low on WP and don't want to Spittoon. This spell's usage can seem tricky at first. If you look at the target when using it, youll jump one cell away from it, and push the target a cell away as well. If you turn your back to the enemy before using it, you'll pull it one cell closer and move a cell closer as well. When bumping into your foe, you take collision damage and risk taking an AP off yourself; on the other hand this will proc your Mask Master bonus, which i'll explain later.

- Spitfall. Not particularly useful. AoE heals. I suppose in a full healer deck this could work, but it seems sub-par.

- Spitbull. A must have. The mobility and map control is offers is huge, and its a good single target heal.

- Spittoon. This is your bread and butter. Very high base damage, so it benefits greatly of damage amplifiers such as Fluctuation, Mask Master, Charade and Revival. With Liberator (you get this state from the Charade passive every other turn) this spell will put Chains on your opponent. Chains will double the cost of each WP spell the opponent casts the following turn. A well timed Chains can be a game-changer, for example when using it on a Sac on cling turn.

Air
This tree's main use is positioning, guaranteeing Backstab damage and collision damage. All of these spells are Single target as well as melee (with a max range Classtanet being the exception, but it doesn't deal significant damage anyway). 

- Whipkick. A simple and useful spell to allow backstab damage.

- Scherzo. This is a great spell. It deals okay damage, but the collision you can cause will heal you significantly and give Revival stacks. Its also useful for positioning and helping allies re-position.

- Classtanet. Another great mobility tool. You can cross great distances with little AP spent if you have obstacles to jump on. Its also a good and cheap tool to reach the enemies' back.

- Classerole. Useful to have a 2AP spell in your deck to spend occasional leftover APs on. If you cast this spell on an ally or enemy, you will bind them to you and they will follow where you walk. It can help you guide an ally out of a risky zone, or pull an enemy into your team, or closer to your clone, etc.

- Classablanca. Useful spell. Its good for positioning and deals good damage while also allowing you to sustain off of the collision damage you may cause. The downside is that this spell will consume liberator stacks you may have, which are better spent on Spittoon. Spittoon's base damage is higher, so the 25% damage amplifier will be better spent on that spell.

Active spells

- Coward mask. My favorite and easily the best of the three. The bonus it gives to your healing is great, the range it gives is nice because it helps you to re-position with Spitbull more effectively, but the main reason this is so good is that it gives you 1MP per dodge up to three times. Each dodge means a Revival stack, means 15% damage on the next spell. MP is invaluable.

- Psychopath mask. I love this mask. It looks really cool and the maniacal laugh the Masq will do while wearing it is almost worth sacrificing 50 resist for. Almost.
Psychopath mask can be useful in PvM. Sometimes you need to clear a room quickly, in that scenario 20% final damage beats using all your additional MP from coward on a single mob in order to overkill it. However, the single target nuke coward stimulates will always be more rewarding in PvP, having the Psycho mask decrease your resists by 50 also really hurts.

- Classic mask. Its a good mask, its nice to buff your allies with it when critting. I hardly ever use it anymore though, since i play a low crit Masq. It can be nice to use it in combination with the Carnival passive in PvM though, your teammates will certainly appreciate 20 crits.

- Masked Spirit. Key spell. Your clone. Stats are alike, but it spawns with less health. It has 6 base AP and unused AP from the main Masq (6 max) is carried over to the clone at the end of the turn. Clone is unable to gain Liberator, or proc fluctuation. 

- Dance of Death. Another prime spell. This spell will give you 2MP for two turns. If the Masked Spirit is in play, using this spell will give you 2AP and 2MP for two turns, AND will revive any killed allies.

Passives

I take the following passives: Evasion, Burst of Wakfu, Artful Dodger, Charade, Mask Master and Fluctuation.

Burst of Wakfu is a must-have. It helps you keep your WP and every other turn you get to hit a Spittoon with 25% additional damage.

Artful dodger is also a necessity. Its simply too many free stats to ignore!

Charade is the passive that gives you 5 Renewal each time you dodge. When it hits 30, your next attack will be a guaranteed critical hit, and will take 100 resist away if you hit an enemy, or grant 100 resist to yourself or an ally if you cast the spell on them.  This passive is very important.

Mask Master gives you more free stats, this time rear mastery. It also allows you to heal a significant amount when you inflict collision damage, and lastly it gives you a 25% final damage bonus for a full turn if you cause collision damage between two characters. You can easily proc this with a Backbeat!

Fluctuation is also a must-have, i believe for apparent reasons. It gives us tons and tons of damage.

Evasion passive is a luxury. It can be swapped out depending on what you need.
Viable options: 
Carnival, very fun passive. Allows you to give your Masks to allies to buff them.
Medicine, if your team requires somebody to commit to full healing.
Catch me if you can, this passive works great against matchups such as Iops, where you pretty much always finish melee, and spend the first while of the fight sustaining. In due time this passive stacks up to 30% final healing and damage, which is huge.

Passives that are commonly used but not recommended:
Carnage: 15% final damage is a much too small buff, considering you can gather so much final damage in the fight itself. Heals are also a huge perk of being Masq. A liberator, non-crit Spittoon at level 200 heals me for 6.2k now. It's a waste to have Carnage take this away from you.
Classy Masqueraider. In theory this passive is cool. However, in PvP, it relies too much on the clone. The clone dies easily, so it's not worth. In PvM, it takes too much time to build up to truely be efficient. Classy also promotes using Classablanca for damage-purposes. Its better to damage with higher base-damage spells, since the damage amplifiers you gather during the fight scale better with a spell such as Spittoon.

My traditional deck ends up looking like this.

IV. Gear

My gear currently looks like this. The resist slots are all maxed. All yellow slots and the rings have Velocity runes, resulting in 12AP/7MP.

V. 1v1 PvP matchups

- Feca. This is a very rough matchup for Masq, mostly due to their high lock which is a pain in the ass for anybody relying on dodges to inflict damage. With Smashell relic rune there's new opportunities though. Try to sustain and wait for liberator turns. On these turns go all out and try to chunk away the shield. Any damage you'll get off on the Feca will stick, whereas you can sustain. You can also use Masqs mobility to get off glyphs and leave the Feca on them. 

- Osamodas. Another tricky matchup, though i don't lose anymore to endgame Osa's. You should be able to sustain their damage and slowly wear them down. Masq can heal and DD simultaneously; Osa has to unsummon their Badgeroxxor and summon the Wabbit in order to heal. If they ever do this, its game over. Another situation i for some reason often get in with Osa is them being on one side of the map, and me being on the other. They'll want you to charge at them. Use this to your advantage, casually pass and let the Liberator stacks rise. Important: never let the clone come in range of the Osa. They'll whip it with tripled damage. Against this class i think the Epic Surgical precision rune (which grants 20% final healing) is very important.

- Enutrof. Not renown for their PVP skills. Do Masq things, kill them.

- Sram. I have yet to gather experience against the new Sram since their recent buffs. They still seem doable so far though. Their sustain is much less than ours. Stay healthy, they don't have enough lock to lock you so you can safe up for a Revival + 60 Fluctuation + Liberator + Mask Master Spittoon. They wont know what hit them, Con won't heal them nearly enough.

- Xelor. Used to be a rough matchup but not anymore. In this matchup i would suggest taking Psyk-Out, because you'll be chasing them all over the map and a good Xelor places his dial in such a way that it cant be used as a jump by the Masq. This fight is a matter of sustaining and slowly wearing them down to 50%ish. The longer they play, the higher your willpower stacks, the less efficient they become. Once they're near the 50% mark you can go for the finishing blow. Against this class i think the Epic Surgical precision rune (which grants 20% final healing) is very important.

- Ecaflip. In my opinion the hardest matchup for Masq. They share the same qualities, that being able to sustain and deal damage simultaneously, however the Eca also has very high shields. This forces the Masq to commit to full DD in order to break the shield and leave damage, and not being able to focus on staying healthy. On a God Eca card things can take a turn for the worse real fast. Advise; don't drop below 50% health, safe up Spittoon for Liberator turns so you can roll a big Revival, Liberator and Fluctuation spittoon, and keep your fingers crossed for poor cards.

- Eniripsa. PvP Eni is a rarity, but if you do bump into one you wont struggle. Go at them and hit them until they die.

- Iop. Used to be a renown counter for Masq, but if played correctly, this matchup is easy. The fight will start with the Iop running in melee and using focus. They'll follow up with damage. When its your turn, don't use the clone. Its just going to die instantly to the follow-up turn from the Iop's Focus. Instead, wear the coward mask, use Dance of Death. With 7 base MP, 2 MP from Dance, and 3 from Coward mask, you end up with 12MP total. This means you can dodge the Iop 6 times, resulting in a guaranteed Revival on your first turn (6x5 Renewal gets you to 30, Revival will proc on your next spell). Use the remaining 8AP on two Spitbulls. Youll heal back up a fair bit, and get 100 bonus resistance from Revival. This makes you extremely tanky. After the Iops second turn, their main burst is over, and you'll find they've spent a fair amount of their WP. At this point they are your toy to play with.

- Cra. Cra is a fun matchup and one you will (should) never lose. They can run well, but its hard to outrun a Masq. 

- Sadida. "Regular" Sadida's are easy for Masq to deal with. The clone and the Masq can separate the doll and the Sadi and the doll will die pretty quickly without its summoners protection. A full tank PvP Sadida however is difficult/impossible. Your only savior can be a 2-cell long corner in the map. Toss the Sadida in the corner, lock it in there. Let the clone Classerole the doll and run towards the main Masq. This will result in a line of characters. The Sadida in the corner, the Masq locking it in there, and the clone+doll right behind it. This way, the Sadida cant gust their way out of there. Once locked, kill off the doll. Keep the doll near your setup in the corner. Once the doll has died, its game over. 

- Sacrier. Next to impossible. There's a small window of opportunity if you can kill them fast, without stacking up their punishment too much. Don't use spam attacks, but chunk them with Spittoons. Try to put the chains on them when they cling and run. If you can make their Lightspeed cost 2WP instead of one, you can prevent them from reaching you or casting Punishment. If you fail to set this up, they'll instakill you whether you're a tank or not.

- Pandawa. Ranged Panda is easy. Itll jump around, run out of WP and die. Melee tank Panda is a very hard counter to almost every melee class, not doable.

- Rogue. Easy matchup. You cant afford to make a single mistake because they hit like a truck, but they're very predictable. Take Psyk-Out in your deck. Jump out of their firewall and away from them if they Fussilade. After their burst-turn, jump back in and damage them, they have no sustain. If need be you can jump back out at a later time, heal up, and move back in for the kill. Two things you will want to pay attention to are their Treacherogue stacks and the timer on the bombs. If they cant exceed 15 stacks of Treacherogue on their next turn (they get 1 stack per AP spent on air spells) they will lack a lot of damage. Also beware of the bombs. When they explode after the timer runs out the Rogue gets 1AP per bomb. Assuming they started off the fight throwing bombs, they will pop on the turn the Rogue can pick enthousiasm and you'll be up for anasty surprise when you're near them.

- Ouginak. No experience against this class yet, will write more soon.

- Foggernaut. Easy matchup (assuming you build tanky). If they go into Fogginator, just heal and watch them kill their healthbar. If they go into Motherfogger, block their path on the rails and simply hit and heal. The Foggernaut is often stabilized so you may not be able to backstab,  but this shouldn't hurt us too much. If they use their Blokkades, note that the Fogger may be stabilized, but his Blokkades arent. You can push them away and hit the Fogger.

- Eliotrope. This class is a nightmare in a big map, but should always be winnable. Take Psyk-Out. Have your Masq and clone finish their turns on their portals so the Elio cant use them while you cover the distance towards them. 

- Huppermage. Another rarity in PvP. They can cause a respectable amount of incurable on you, but Hupper should never have a chance against Masq.

This concludes the guide for now! I hope it'll help many Masq players, or motivate people to give the class a swing. I appreciate any feedback you could give me about the guide.

Thanks
Risi
26 0
Reactions 38
Score : 7406

First

3 -1
Score : 1488

Second, thanks for the super detailed informtation. Nice job!

0 0
Score : 3991

rogue: easy matchup *heartbreak*

2 0
Score : 3763

Watch all them masques flood the server now _-_

0 0
Score : 4237

Looks solid. Also Catch me if you can gives Heals received now not Heals Performed anymore.

Hope to see this thread grow, brother.

0 0
Score : 2

Hey Mono, thanks!

0 0
Score : 2316
For anyone who doesn't understand how backbeat works
6 0
Score : 1201

beeyootiful.

1 0
Score : 919

That's one sweet Artwork you picked there.

0 0
Score : 36866

Very nice guide it's nice to see that masq hasn't change to much since i've been gone. I'm noticing some small quality of life buffs that look really nice

0 0
Score : 9185

Did i miss the Liberator changes???
It does not seem to give extra damage anymore or is that some bug??

0 0
Score : -364

+1

0 -3
Score : 2495

hey how do you play ogrest btw? he has 1k lock so you'd need like 1,5k dodge which is impossible to get.
Do you use Psycho Mask with other passves for him? or just play full healer support?

1 0
Score : 3763

Feca can bubble.

0 -1
Score : 1057

Bubble helps a lot, however things like bubble or Scram that make you immune to lock also cancel out fluctuation. I think Masq is still very valuable in Ogrest, despite not being able to use fluctuation. In Ogrest i usually take the boots. With DoD you have a lot of MP. You can practically always grab the Darkli Hammers, so its easy to proc the -res and you get a lot of free melee mastery. Id reccomend taking Psyk-Out to be able to pass through Ogrest. With this build you can absorb a lot of damage, heal much, and with Classerole spam you can often proc revival too.

0 0
Score : 3991

i was told the 2ap air jump of the mask can't be used to go to ogrest (while sram's wily can)
as well as since ogrest's stabilised,the 3ap air spell can't turn himaround

anyway,maskraiders offer a huge advantage in ogrest's ochre phase as he can actually heal allies to support the healer in the task of stacking critical shock

0 0
Score : 194

man, tell us about all ur possible spell-combo when u have 2, 3, 4, 5...12 AP
Ur initial turn ecc!!

0 0
Score : 124

What weapons are best for Masq's? I'm currently level 47 and have had the same weapon since I started - granted I hardly use it but I should probably look to upgrade.

1 0

One of the earliest decent weapons you can get is the Tauxik Hammer, next would probably be any of the weapons available via the Almanax token machine (where you get your scripture to teleport to the Almanax temple). Rogmourne is a nice one to get at 110+ but it is a one handed weapon so if it is too troublesome to find an offhand like a shield or dagger maybe try the Fhenris's Frozen Fang which is dropped by Fhenris the Lone Boohemoth.

There are many options and what you are generally looking for as you progress is a decent AP weapon but without breaking your back since at such a low level you don't want to spend too much time upgrading or hunting for something when you could just be utilizing what you have as long as the current difficulty of your content doesn't demand stronger gear.

0 0
Score : 368

i'm wondering do you run this same setup for pve too?

0 0

Considering his total damage is 3,235 which is alright for a Masqueraider in the end-game he could totally use this for PVE as well but I want to assume he has a separate build which sacrifices some of that THICC for more power though I don't know him so not sure what his role in in PVE whether he is a support/heal masq or DPT.

0 0
Score : -40

This guidd can work well in PvE too? 
I'm searching a guide for a DD/Healer Zobal Tri, but only see this and I think is good too.

0 0
Score : 1057

This build is decent for pvm as well. Although you wouldn,t need as much resistance as this build.

0 0
Score : 1973

Dam son that artwork is sick! Where can I find more like this?

0 0

If you mean the first image it is from the Maskemane comic.

0 0
Score : -34

is this still viable?

0 0
Score : 858

yes of course and if you have the money you can change relic for  ogrest wrath and use that rune for 10% damage with less them 10% crit
also the  epic cape on lvl 200 that gives 380 damage is very cheap(agony is an option but on masq is a waste of money since you can have the same amount of damage for 1/5 of the price)

i do this and have around 4k~4,2k damage  and  75% resist in everything and around 50~60% block
with the right setup, I do over 20k  spits on zinit mobs(feca buffs/enu taking resist)                               0

0 -1
Score : 2316

Explain me how agony is a waste 

2 0
Respond to this thread