By continuing to browse this website or by clicking on the X, you consent to the use of cookies that enable us to collect site-visit statistics and offer you videos, share buttons, personalized ads, and a chat feature. Learn more and set cookie preferences X

FR EN ES PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

[Guide] Air/Water DD Masqueraider

By Tiefoone - MEMBER - August 14, 2015, 11:59:12
Note: Won't be updating this further as I've changed builds.
Air/Water Masqueraider is a capable single-target damage dealer, healer and map manipulator, with one of the most versatile summons in the game in Masked Spirit. Masqueraider's most potent role of those listed is likely it's map manipulation ability, capable of a huge amount of positioning with the 18AP afforded to them by the Masked Spirit. Damage and healing output is competitive, however the former is hampered slightly by setup requirements and the latter by limited range.

While this build is damage focused I generally suggest you aim for a balance between having solid resistance figures and high damage, unlike other Melee classes Masqueraiders have no way to avoid or mitigate damage outside of healing themselves which comes at the cost of other actions, so you are likely to be more useful in any situation if you are not having big chunks torn out of your HP all the time.

This guide is primarily aimed at experienced/higher level players, if you are a newer player you're likely better off consulting other Masqueraiders in-game if you are unsure about what to do at lower levels, however as a general rule the AoE/Psycho Mask builds are more effective at low levels than single-target builds.
Stats
Intelligence:
Resistance 10 Points -
Everyone takes this irrespective of class and build, you should too.
Barrier 0-4 Points - Barrier can save a large amount of HP over longer fights while having negligible impact on shorter fights, as such it is generally worth investing a few points.
HP 36-40 Points - All remaining points should go into HP, having high HP both makes your Masked Spirit sturdier, and will reduce the rate at which heal resistance builds.

Strength:
Close Combat 20 Points - With artful dodger already giving you lots of close combat damage, following that up by taking it in strength is worthwhile. It is applied to all heals and damage within 2 cells, making it fairly reliable, although ST mastery is preferable as it will apply even if you are not able to get within 2 cells of your target.
Single Target 20 Points - Single Target mastery applies to all of your spells regardless of range, making it the best damage type to aim for.
General 10 Points - All remaining points into general damage.

Agility:
Dodge 50 Points -
Dodge is great for three reasons, it gives you up to 400 Close Combat and Heal Mastery thanks to Artful Dodger, it lets you move around easily, and at higher levels it is essential to make effective use of the Charade+Fluctuation combo. As such I suggest you just pump dodge indefinitely.

Chance:
Crit% -
You want to deal damage? Then you want to stat crit%, while you can create a no-crit build using Charade, having poor critical hits deprives you of Classic Hits buffs for yourself and allies, and makes your clone significantly weaker, as he has no passives to help him out, so is reliant on critical hits and Classic Hits buffs. You can still make effective use of Charade with a decent Crit% anyway.
Backstab/Crit - The choice is yours here, neither of these options are ideal, Rear gives you more total mastery, but it does not apply to your heals or knockback damage. Crit will boost your heals - assuming you crit - but it also doesn't boost knockback damage.
Block/Crit Res - If you'd rather sacrifice some mastery to be bulkier either of these options are viable. Block won't be terribly useful unless you already get a decent amount from gear, and Crit Resistance is primarily a PvP thing, but can still be helpful in PvE, either way 80 resistance - even if it only applies on crits - is nothing to scoff at.

Major:
AP+MP -
Practically every class takes AP and MP, Masqueraider is no exception. You can take these in any order but they should be the first two you pick.
Final Damage+Reduction - These are the two you should take for Major 3 and 4, I suggest you take Reduction first, as +50 resistance makes a big difference to your longevity in the 130-170 zone where Masqueraiders are often very squishy. Your final damage also applies to your Masked Spirit and is generally a reliable choice. Masq generally doesn't have WP problems so there isn't much reason to consider the WP Major instead.
Passives
Evasion - Evasion gives you 180 Dodge, and if you get locked in combat you get another 60 Dodge for thee turns, this is stackable three times for a total possible bonus of 360 Dodge. You generally want to use Evasion either:
  • When you're in the low 100s, passives are iffy due to being unevolved, and getting another 90 CC/Heal mastery from Artful Dodger beats any alternative.
  • When you're 200 and need loads of dodge so slap it into the 6th passive slot.
Not much more to be said about it.

Burst of Wakfu - Burst of Wakfu is Masqueraider's WP regen passive, it gives you a Liberator stack every second (up from third) turn that provides the next WP spell with 25% Damage Dealt/Heals, nullifies the WP cost of the spell, and regenerates 1 WP. This state will stack continuously up to a cap of 10, and only one stack is consumed per WP spell casting, allowing you to effectively hold up to 20 Wakfu Points in reserve.

Artful Dodger - Up to 400 CC and Heal mastery is a huge bonus, and is effectively 800 Heal mastery in Close Combat. The only thing you need to do is stack dodge, and lots of it. This is pretty much the best passive at Masq's disposal and you should definitely be using it and stacking dodge.

Charade - One of the two passives needed for BIG SPITTOON, this gains 5 levels every time you dodge, or perform a non-critical attack/heal. Once it stacks to 30, the next hit is guaranteed to crit, and will remove 100 resistance from an enemy target for a whole round, so it can also be used on bosses to boost your team's damage output. Additionally, if it is instead spent on an ally or yourself, it will grant +100 resistance for 1 round, this isn't too useful in PvE but is invaluable in PvP since it's Masq's only source of extra resistance.

Carnival - Nice simple support passive, halves the cost of masks and lets you give them to allies at range. The saved AP can be handy sometimes but unless you intend to play support this passive isn't really worth using, especially if you're only bringing 1 or 2 masks in your deck.

Mask Master - Some free rear mastery, as well as heals and a situational damage bonus for causing collisions. Definitely worth keeping around even if the only collision spell you use is Scherzo.

Catch me if you can - If the stacks are maintained this is easily one of the most powerful passives at your disposal, a 30% increase to Heals and Damage dealt is huge, even if it only applies in Close Combat. However it takes a long time to build up (at least 5 turns), and all your stacks are lost if you are unable/forget to end beside something even once. Keep in mind you cannot maintain your stacks by ending beside a summon but you can by ending beside a downed ally/opponent.

Elemental Disciple - Since this is an Air/Water build you generally won't make frequent use of this passive, as it only really has a place in PvP when you decide to use a Fire spell. For example you might use Psynpse when chasing ranged classes or Fracture when fighting other healers, this passive then lets you offset the AP used on these utility spells with a damage bonus to your Spittoon nuke.

Carnage - Carnage does what it says on the tin, however the increase in Final Damage as well as the cut to heals also applies to your clone (the damage boost against armor doesn't though). So it's a great boost to your damage output for any fight where healing won't be needed, but is probably better left behind otherwise.

Classy Masqueraider - Besides the nice crit% and heal buff this passive provides it also makes using Scherzo liberally more awkward and (debatably) makes Classablanca worth using. However this relies on keeping your Masked spirit alive, which isn't always possible or ideal. Generally the only situation I advise using this in is when you're soloing and definitely don't want the Masked Spirit gone at any point. It's useless in short fights due to taking a while to ramp up, and so-so in most other fights since he's likely to die or be sacrificed at some point. If any passive was going to be changed I'd hope it was this one.

Fluctuation - Between their high dodge, Close Combat role and MP gain abilities Masqueraider is likely the class best suited to make use of Fluctuation. Being able to max out the bonus after just 4 dodges, or with 3 if the target ends their turn next to you. Fluctuation is a perfect partner to Charade, as activating a stack of 60 Fluctuation+Revival on the same hit guarantees you get the most out of the FD bonus with a Critical Hit, as well as that they will both stack at the same time by dodging. Even before it has evolved Fluctuation is still a powerful passive and definitely worth using, though it can harder to reliably dodge mobs at lower levels. Fluctuation is earned by completing Year 2 of the Huppermage Academy Quests (unlocked at level 80).
Actives
Coward Mask - Coward Mask has an array of uses besides the basic Heal Bonus, the increase in range on Spitbull makes it useful for positioning and it is also a great partner to Charade and Fluctuation, allowing you to dodge things repeatedly in order to stack the bonuses. Gaining MP when dodging also gives you easy access to backstab if you can dodge the target.

Masked Spirit - He's your best pal, your most reliable ally, and you get to control everything he does! There is no reason whatsoever not to have Masked Spirit in your deck as it is your most powerful Active in every respect. A few things to keep in mind when using him are:
  • You take any damage he takes, so try to avoid having both of you caught in an AoE spell. 2 targets can also let opponents use spells that have a limit per target on you twice as much, so be wary.
  • He does not benefit from any of your passives and as such is weaker than you, however he does gain any Final Damage you have when the fight starts, and the mastery bonuses from your passives.
  • He spawns with the mask you are wearing when you place him, however if you change to another mask, then swap back to the mask you were wearing, he will lose his mask. This does not happen if he replaces his mask himself.

Psycho Mask - Due to the reduction in Crit% and Resistance compared to using Classic Mask I don't really use this Mask for anything besides buffing others if I am using Carnival.

Classic Mask - This is the Mask you should be wearing most of the time, the increase to your Crit% as well as the Final Damage buff in a large AoE and useful changes to Classerole and Whipkick means this Mask offers a wide array of bonuses and no downsides. It's especially good to keep on your double, as it allows him to buff everyone and move things around easily if he has nothing better to do.

Dance of Death - Foremost is the most apparent power of this spell, capable of reviving every ally on the map, regardless of range from the Masqueraider. Note that the revive is rather expensive in terms of cooldowns, you sacrifice your clone which has a 5 turn cooldown, and DoD itself has a 3 turn cooldown. Next is the AP/MP bonuses it can provide, the MP bonus is available to both you and your clone, however the AP is only given to you upon removing your clone from the field, and serves to offset the AP cost of DoD that turn and provide you with a neat little AP bonus on the next, allowing you to start that turn 14/8. Lastly, DoD gives you good control of your clone, allowing you to get rid of him if he needs to be replaced due to running out of WP, or is in a bad position.
Elemental Spells

Air
Whipkick - While rather mediocre in the damage department Whipkick makes up for this with the handy ability to turn your target around (although it does not work on stabilized targets), as well as having 3 range when Classic Mask is equipped.

Scherzo - Damage for 0AP! A great little spell for shifting things about or getting in some extra damage, can heal a nifty amount thanks to Mask Master if you cause a collision as well.

Classtanet - Similarly to Scherzo and Whipkick the primary uses of this spell are moving around and getting into backstab position. It doesn't work if you are stabilized, but it is always able to jump over a target unless they are both stabilized and have their back to a wall. If you are stabilised Classtanet will do nothing except pull the target 1 cell.

Classerole - Classerole deals decent damage for its low cost, but it also has 2 extremely useful abilities; the first links you to the target, meaning it will follow you if you move (link broken by other movements besides walking), the second gives you 1MP for each cast if Classic Mask is equipped, this works brilliantly with Scherzo as well as making Classerole's first ability even better.

Classablanca - Thanks to the collision changes this spell is now terrible. Two Classeroles and Scherzo together have higher base damage while not costing a WP, the only advantage Classablanca has being the ability to close gaps and make use of Fluctuation/Liberator, though generally using these on Classablanca instead of Spittoon is a waste. Unless you're fighting something with low air resistance and high water resistance there isn't much reason to take Classablanca, as Spittoon will likely hit harder per AP even on a target with somewhat higher Water resistance.
Water
Fugue - A decent little spell with slightly above average damage/AP, besides sucker-punching fools Fugue can be used to escape Lock if no other spell is more practical and the dodge cost is 2AP or higher.

Backbeat - Backbeat is a positioning spell that can be adjusted by changing the direction your character is facing. If you face your target and cast Backbeat, you will push it away while moving away from it, if you face away from your target, you will drag it towards you while jumping closer to it, the same applies for facing left/right relative to the target. While this used to be an incredible spell the collision change has made it significantly less useful. Since it will sometimes remove your own AP (increasing its cost to 5) it can only be safely used at the end of the turn when you have 4AP left, whereas before it could be used effectively with Fluctuation and Renewal. Here's hoping the self AP removal gets.. removed, at some point.

Spitfall - As an AoE/Distance spell Spitfall isn't your first choice on a Single Target/Close Combat character, I also usually need to burst heal one target rather than topping up multiple. However it is useful for mopping up low level mobs if you happen to go emote hunting or something.

Spitbull - Spitbull provides both a solid heal that doesn't cost WP, and the ability to swap with an ally or opponent at up to 5 range for just 4AP. Overall its pretty hard to go without, being able to avoid using up Liberator for heals is useful and the swap is invaluable.

Spittoon - A powerful Single Target damage/heal nuke, Spittoon is one of the spells you will be using the most. With sufficient Heal bonus stacks Spittoon can easily heal 5k+ at higher levels, while at the same time blasting holes in Water Vulnerable enemies (or anything really). The icing on the cake being that it will apply a debuff to enemies that doubles the WP cost of WP spells if you consume a Liberator charge with it.
Fire
Fracture - Purely for PvP, this can allow you to cut heals on an opponent. It also strips some armor, but as with all spells with this ability it's fairly insignificant.
Psynapse - Psynapse is an incredible gap-closer, letting you cover 5 cells distance for just 4AP if you have something to cast it on. It's a superb mobility spell, and good choice in any fight on a larger map or with evasive enemies. This spell can also deal decent damage on a CC/ST Air/Water build, usually only losing out on a few hunred mastery. If you are stabilized this can only be cast at point blank.
My Gear
This is the gear I opted for at level 200, only upgrade needed is White Crow > Ebony Dofus Frag but the rest is final for now.

My Stats
Only missing 120 damage from damage runes, whatever stats I opt for in support runes and the boost from Ebony Fragment. I opted for measure rune so my base crit is actually 55%. As can be seen from secondaries I didn't place much emphasis on Rear Mastery, and the last 10 Chance points went into crit res.
Thanks for reading my guide, if you have any questions, suggestions or corrections feel free to post in the thread or send me an Ankabox message.
11 0
Reactions 22
Score : 413

Nice guide! I was tempted to go ST/Melee on my Masq, but I like tri-Masq too much, so I didn't. I do believe that in straight up potential for damage, nothing can beat the build you have posted.

0 0
Score : 4

Just what I was looking for--thank you!

0 0
Score : 35613

I give this guide my seal of approval

We need more mask guides especially since I feel like mine let's people down by not being damage based

1 -1
Score : 8711

Removed this post as it was a mess, including it in more concise form in OP.

1 0
Score : 952

Hey.
My build is basicly identical to yours so far but im only lvl 30. i feel like my Masq is underperforming when it comes to damage. the skills feel like they havevery low damage cap compared to other classes and i run around dealing like 20-30 damage at best while the other 2 characters in the party deal about 100-150 per attack.
Guess im just wondering when the Masq starts to compete damagewise.

0 0

Masq takes a while to get up to speed with damage, most of the Passives that really give you a boost are at higher levels or in Artful Dodger's case require you to stack a lot of dodge. The Air branch in particular is not that great early on as it has low to average damage/AP, as well as that it works better at higher levels once you have enough AP/MP to really move around.

I would suggest that you make use of the Fire Branch earlier in the game, as AoE works well against early-game mobs that tend to group up. Air is a good branch but early in the game its damage is not outstanding, and it is a bit harder to utilize effectively than the other branches.

0 0
Score : 952

ok thanks. i still have time left to do the lvl 30 respec. and then i can spec back into air at lvl 80 when i get the second free respec.. or ill just start lvling 1-2 fireskills that i can use for dmg untill lvl and then grab the exp from them into my other skills. but i LOVE the mobility i get from the air branch =/

0 0
Score : 662

hello, thanks for the guide, i just have a question, that Fluctuation passive doesnt seem to be in the game anymore...so what other passive you would recomend to put in its place? 

0 0
Score : 3365
Fontanarj|2016-01-29 15:16:39
hello, thanks for the guide, i just have a question, that Fluctuation passive doesnt seem to be in the game anymore...so what other passive you would recomend to put in its place?
It is, but you have to unlock it via huppermage quest year 1 & year 2. Meanwhile you can use 'catch me if you can' passive, its like a weak version of it.
0 0
Score : -3034
You need to unlock the passive by doing Huppermage academy quests.

Sssssssssssssssssssssssss..
0 -1
As the others have said it is earned by completing the level 80 Huppermage Academy Quests. I've noted that below the passive so that this is clear to anyone else in future.
0 0
Score : 662

oh....the hupper mage quest gives that passive? welp here i go back to school

0 0
Score : 20

Can you give some combo example with Air Spell?

0 0

Well, you don't really need to combo with Masq, the Air spell you want to use most is Classablanca (assuming you don't want to preserve Liberator for Spittoon), followed by Classerole which has better damage/AP than Whipkick and grants you MP to use Scherzo or move around.

Ideal starting turn for Air though is:

• Enemy 2-3 cells in front of you, equip Classic Mask and drop clone between you and them.
  • Classtanet enemy, then use Scherzo twice, shoving them into your clone.
  • Classerole enemy and then walk backwards one cell to give your clone its back.
  • Clone casts Classablanca twice followed by 2 Scherzos.
Decent amount of Air damage, gives your clone up to 15% Final Damage to hit with, and results in you starting next turn with up to 20% extra Final Damage. Another bit of advice is that if you intend for your clone to hit Air, always leave him at least 8AP so he can cast Classablanca twice, only costs you 2AP but lets him deal another 63 direct damage and 50 knockback damage compared to Classablanca+Classerole.

I wish there was more to the Air branch but it is mostly just for utility and nailing Air weak mobs.
0 0
Score : 20
Tiefoone|2016-11-12 02:07:06
Well, you don't really need to combo with Masq, the Air spell you want to use most is Classablanca (assuming you don't want to preserve Liberator for Spittoon), followed by Classerole which has better damage/AP than Whipkick and grants you MP to use Scherzo or move around.

Ideal starting turn for Air though is:
  • Enemy 2-3 cells in front of you, equip Classic Mask and drop clone between you and them.
  • Classtanet enemy, then use Scherzo twice, shoving them into your clone.
  • Classerole enemy and then walk backwards one cell to give your clone its back.
  • Clone casts Classablanca twice followed by 2 Scherzos.
Decent amount of Air damage, gives your clone up to 15% Final Damage to hit with, and results in you starting next turn with up to 20% extra Final Damage. Another bit of advice is that if you intend for your clone to hit Air, always leave him at least 8AP so he can cast Classablanca twice, only costs you 2AP but lets him deal another 63 direct damage and 50 knockback damage compared to Classablanca+Classerole.

I wish there was more to the Air branch but it is mostly just for utility and nailing Air weak mobs.

Im new and im in the early game. I found that now my Water Spells deal much more damage than Air Spells.
My Air Spells deal very low damage. Does Air Spells deal a lot of damage in the late game? Or i just fail the combo?
0 0

At lower levels you're generally better off using the Fire and Water branches, Air is mostly utility which isn't needed so much at lower levels.

0 0
Score : 291

Why not Steel Beak Sword?

0 0

For comparison by using SB sword I gain:

• 30 Damage
  • 50 Initiative
  • 70 HP
  • 25 Water Resist
However this comes at the cost of 40 Dodge/Lock which I value more than Initiative, and I trade ST damage for Critical Damage, I generally prefer the former as it applies regardless of crit/nocrit, and in the future will hopefully be fixed to apply to knockback damage. Furthermore I prefer the resistance granted by Millenium Sword.
0 0
Score : 4

is this vigent? or trielemental is now the meta?

0 0
Respond to this thread