Back to www.wakfu.com

No flash

Forum

Hylian-Scient...'s profile
Statistics
26 Posts (0.27 per day)
Most active in : General Discussion
posté January 31, 2014, 19:56:24 | #1
Truth be told, if they don't censor it (Which I dearly hope they don't), then they'll have to find a teen-oriented network here in NA. (Don't forget about us Canadians ) I mean, we can deal with violence better than EU, but as far as any level of sexual content, we'd have to censor it if it was aimed at kids. And there are a few moments that I know wouldn't fly over here. So yes, there aren't really many networks that work for Wakfu, as there aren't many aimed at teens and up. Mind you, they've already said they may try for Netflix or Hulu, so that would work wonderfully  

**Update**
Sorry for getting into necro-posting territory here everyone, but the Kickstarter has now reached the $250,000 mark, meaning that a pledge of $40 or more now also gets you an additional 27 episodes of Mini Wakfu; a series of chibi shorts that explain the mythos of the Krosmoz! So not only are you getting an amazing show dubbed, but you're also getting both seasons, Mini Wakfu, and the special episodes on Blu-Ray for the same cost! (Not to mention all of the awesome things mentioned before!)

Ankama has yet to release info on what's going to be announced now that we've hit this landmark, but you can keep your eyes peeled for the reveal on the Kickstarter page! My bet's on unlocking more Stretch Goals, and some awesome Smug Duck things, but the jury's out so far.

If we can keep getting more and more people to pledge, we can easily reach the 300k goal of getting the as-of-yet unreleased episodes dubbed as well, and beyond!

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #672645  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 31, 2014, 18:58:54 | #2
Well Ankama themselves call it an animated series, so really, it's just us. And really, I think we're just used to calling anything that isn't a child's cartoon anime, since there are very few cartoons that cater to older audiences. So, like the deep south calls all carbonated drinks "Coke," we just instinctively go for the blanket term of "anime."

Also, just as a heads up for everyone, but a few minutes ago we hit the $200,000 mark, so we will now all have Season 1 and 2 dubbed and on Blu-Ray, as well as the 2 tomes, translated, in digital form, on Comixology. Next up, we'll try to get to 250k for the Mini-Wakfu episodes, (Chibi episodes where the main characters act out stories from the lore of Wakfu/Dofus) then 300k, at which point we'll get the 3 new OAVs dubbed. Exciting times.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #672605  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 30, 2014, 23:45:16 | #3
Sorry about that Jwguy, I used your post as more of an outlet for the whole thread's general outlook on the Kickstarter, and tried to address that sentiment as a whole.

That said though, we're not just talking about a set of DVDs here, nor are we talking about settling for the amount of money the Kickstarter raises. Once again, it's about reaching that new audience, and expanding based on the multiplied exposure. The English-speaking community is massive and influential, so any foot in the door of broadcasting to them is massive for an international company.

I think we could all use a little bit of blind optimism every now and again. I agree, it's a vulnerable thing to base a lifestyle around, but in small doses, it can make a large difference, and with something I enjoy like this, but don't necessarily bank any of my well-being on, the risk is vastly outweighed by the potential reward. Will Ankama potentially shift a little more towards the animated series? That seems like a reasonable assumption. But will that mean they won't expand their efforts on the games either? If they're expanding as a company, then no, that would just be silly to give up on their flagship assets.

I'm not saying Ankama will become the next Sony by expanding into the English-speaking community, but they're kind of trapped in the French community right now, and need more grounds to relate to the English community on. I think, from an advertising perspective, it's much more beneficial and effective to expand into that community with something they don't have to pay to enjoy (when watching it on tv), and further draw them into the company before presenting them with things to pay for. People are much more likely to buy things they're familiar with and like, than buy things out of the blue. So it makes sense to lead with the show, then build up the game. It's not an immediate reward, but you'll see it in the time to come

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #672309  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 30, 2014, 20:51:13 | #4
Haha, well I'd say that the Wakfu and Dofus animated series are just about the best marketing choices that I've seen before, so it's safe to say they've got a few brilliant minds and talented artists up their sleeves.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #672155  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 30, 2014, 18:51:04 | #5
Alright, [Text Removed], we're almost at $200k guys!

There hasn't been a better time than the present to get some sweet things, and those sweet things will very soon include a Blu-Ray copy of Season 2, dubbed and subbed, for the same price as any of the other tiers that already had Season 1

This post has been edited by [Sabi] - January 30, 2014, 20:12:36.
Reason for edit : [Forums Rules of Conduct - Linked to Moderated Posts]
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #672123  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 29, 2014, 12:07:25 | #6
Thanks for all of the clarifications Izmar!

I'm super excited to hear about your guys' intent to approach Netflix and Hulu. I really hope the show catches their eye enough to make a deal of it!

As an aside about my previous messages, sorry for any misinformed statements I may have made. Hopefully I wasn't too far off the mark though.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #671425  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 29, 2014, 03:47:11 | #7

Quote (Jwguy @ 29 January 2014 00:25) *
...the fact remains that in order to get the DVD set, Ankama is charging players.
First and foremost, I'd like to commend you on your simple summary of business practices. This is indeed how companies go about acquiring funds in return for goods.

And before you go saying that that's not what you meant, I don't think you know just how much it is actually what you implied. Ankama is a struggling company, and as such, needs the support of others to be able to continue producing quality materials before they can get back up on their feet again. This isn't seen as money-grabbing, or greed, in the business world, but rather as a form of being able to continue doing what we expect them to, at the rate we expect them to. Kickstarter exists so that these companies that have dreams can get funded *via donation* (Not extortion) to make those dreams a reality. I don't know if you read the update from Tot that deandip posted about, but it is a very heartfelt message from one of the creators of the Krosmoz, detailing his passion and vision for the animated series. Sure, there's always the possibility that he's lying through his teeth to gain sympathy, but if that's true, the man is a freaking Shakespearean wordsmith of emotions, which I find unlikely. More likely to me is that he genuinely does care about his series, and is asking us *if we feel so inclined* to help him make the series a possibility, and to see it grow. This is not milking, it is not duping. We, as backers, genuinely love and care for this series, and are more than willing to donate to help it come alive again. Heck, we even get some absolutely amazing rewards in return for it. Honestly, for anyone in the $40 tier, they are getting more than what they're paying for in merch, not to mention with free shipping.

Yes, you are probably right in your sentiment that Ankama could go under if they fail to get enough funding. However, I have a very strong feeling you're absolutely wrong in assuming that this Kickstarter does nothing to change that. If the Kickstarter gets fully funded, it will open up the opportunity to spread the community watching it from a potential ~74 million people to a combined total of just under 450 million people. Now, that is the number of English and French speaking people in the world, so you can obviously assume that it's only a small portion watching it, but think of how many multiples of the original target audience that new figure is. It could mean astronomical improvements in financial terms for Ankama, as well as gaining the exposure of debatably the most influential language-speakers in the world. This Kickstarter could get Ankama's foot in the door of a major audience, and could very, very easily turn their situation around entirely. This Kickstarter could be absolutely massive for them if they can get enough funding. Seeing the major support behind them could get major networks to notice Ankama, and from there, the company could explode out into the world of recognition.

In all, I'm going to put it at this: Ankama needs your help!!
If we can get anyone with even 5 spare bucks (Roughly the same as a freaking Happy Meal here in Canada) to donate, the sheer number of backers would catch the eye of a network that Ankama approached. Even better for your value, if you have $40 lying around, you can get all of the seasons and OAVs we back in Blu-Ray form, free of shipping costs, as well as a sweet t-shirt, and other small things. I honestly don't see where the whole "evil corporation stealing our money" sentiment comes from! They're struggling; they asked for help; we help them; they get major recognition; they pour back into the company. It's a basic spend-money-to-earn-money tactic, but Ankama needs help getting the money in the first place. But we're honestly just paying for a service the same way anyone pays anyone for services; we'll be able to reap what we sow in terms on Ankama giving back to us simply by becoming a bigger company!

I'm not going to ask anyone who can't help out to draw themselves thin for this cause. They can receive the benefits of those of us who are fortunate enough to scrape together our daily needs and have some left over afterwards. But if you're only holding back because "it's futile" or "Big Ankama" is trying to steal our money, I implore you to rethink your perspective, and see this project for what it is: a need for help, to make the awesome things that you seem to be demanding from them. Game has issues with being understaffed? Help pay for new staff. Game isn't feeling fully polished? Help pay for new software staff. This isn't a "Here, take my money for free" situation; we're paying for Ankama to reach a larger audience, and in turn, they're giving us loads of freaking awesome stuff, and they're going to pour back into the company when they get on their feet! It's the freaking stock exchange, but instead of getting physical money back, we're getting loads of awesome stuff, and improved products.

I'm sorry for turning this into a repetitive rant, but good grief, someone needs to set the record straight. Please get this bias out of your perspective, and help a company that we all can agree has made some things worth paying for! Even if it means donating a dollar, everything helps.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #671285  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 28, 2014, 23:11:32 | #8
Haha, wow, a lot has happened since I've been gone.

To clarify, I'm not in any way affiliated with Ankama. I joined about a week and a bit ago when I wanted to inquire about the order that the manga was to be read in. (I don't know if it links through my account or not, but you can check it out if you'd like.) The timing of the Kickstarter just happened to coincide quite... well, coincidentally with my joining. (Haha, an Ankama employee with a randomly Zelda-themed name?)

Secondly, yes, I'm an overly-zealous, and overly-optimistic new fan to the series. This means I know very little about Ankama as a whole, and thus haven't had the experience with them that you all have had with the game. That said, these are two very different products, and are to be dealt with differently. Perhaps Ankama is just much better at dealing with shows than with games.

Thirdly, Ankama has stated that they haven't yet decided their roster of voice actors for the show, thus the ones used in the promo will likely not make it into the final dubbing. Given the fan reaction to them, it's more and more likely that they won't.

Fourthly, as I and many others have mentioned, they are offering much much more than just the dub for those who contribute, meaning you aren't just paying for a dub, but rather, also for professional subbing, hard copies, merch, in-game stuff, and for those willing to shell out the money, awesome statues/busts, and a trip to France. Ankama's primary goal with this Kickstarter is to bring popularity to the franchise over here to NA, where they can earn more money to grow their company. I'm not sure why this concept has been seen as money-grubbing extortion when a) it's a freaking business, and businesses need to profit from expanding their audience, and b) this will all end up coming back into the company, where they'll be able to have more talent working on their products, actually improving them.

I'm not sure what has happened to you all, to have turned you into cynics, but I hope you can logically see where this Kickstarter is headed, and can recognise the growing potential for the company to improve on everything. I'm not asking you to donate if you're really strapped for cash, but if you have some hanging around not really doing anything, you can get us all rewarded pretty darn well by investing it into the Kickstarter

Quote (Drelkag @ 26 January 2014 22:52) *

On topic: Anyone know what the item redeemable in game is? Can't find anything on it.

Haha, as it turns out, it's not all that much. It's the straw hat Nox the Xelor wears in the first episode

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #671201  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 26, 2014, 03:28:43 | #9
Or, you know, a struggling one.
They're still only catering to a small community, and in all honesty, the largest reason they're doing this is to show international (North American at least) networks that there's interest, so they'll pick up the show, and thus grow the company's market

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #669741  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 26, 2014, 00:50:48 | #10
Your personal experiences with Ankama aside, this is undoubtedly one of the most rewarding Kickstarters - if not *the* most rewarding - that I've ever seen. With the exception of some of the more expensive tier objects (Which exist so that those who wish to donate more have something cool and exclusive to look forward to) these tiers are practically giving away their money's worth in rewards. It's pretty freaking astounding

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #669679  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 26, 2014, 00:11:36 | #11
Excellent point.
Holycrapiwantitsobadly. Haha, if I fell in that category, I'd have pledged multiple times to get the Grougal bust and this one, but alas, I can still afford the Blu-Rays

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #669657  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 25, 2014, 14:55:22 | #12
Oh dear, did I forget to mention that? (I know I did on our other thread, Overlord, but that's beside the point)

Either way, yes, they are offering both of the manga books *Translated* in digital form as yet another reward for contributing!

So to recap, if you only have a few hours' wages sitting around, you can still get:
-All of the seasons we unlock on beautiful Hi-Def Blu-Ray
-A sweet shirt, whose design is still being voted on
-Some cool signed posters
-An awesome MMO item
-A handy dandy sticker

If you're willing to pay a bit more for your pledge, you can also get some awesome things like:
-Yugo and Nox Krosmaster figurines
-Some beautiful artbooks for the making of season 1
-The beautiful OST for the show
-And of course, everything mentioned above!

On top of all of this, there's also more and more being added as add-ons that you can tack on no matter which tier you're on, like:
-A tofurby plush
-The aforementioned beautiful OST
-The aforementioned beautiful artbooks

So there's plenty to be had in terms of a return for donating.
Heck, this is all even without saying that the anime itself will be dubbed into English!
It's a pretty sweet deal for everyone, and if you're able to help out, I would highly encourage you to do so!

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #669477  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 24, 2014, 23:53:44 | #13
Well, the fact that they're actually losing money on some of the lower tiers shows that they're willing to sacrifice a bit to make us happy. They've also introduced update after update on the project, adding in insane perks for contributors, and taking tonnes of feedback as to what else people want to see, and have implemented it.

And to reiterate, you can only say that the show is pure advertisement in the absolute loosest sense of the term. It started off as a bit of a promo, but has since grown into even deeper lore, and adventure on its own. It's all run by Ankama, yes, but not solely to serve the game. There's even another show now whose purpose is more to explain some things in the first show than it is to serve the game.

In all, it's a fantastic product, and the Kickstarter has showed a very good side of Ankama. They've openly stated that success in this project will very likely bring them back for more projects, one of which is almost definitely the games. They're not exactly a massive company, and the community here isn't exactly so either, so they need a little bit of help to get themselves moving forward.

I cannot see this as a mere money-grabbing opportunity when they're being so generous about it, and have been very connected with us each step of the way. I think it's time to give them this chance, and see how they grow from there.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #669111  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 24, 2014, 23:35:01 | #14
Haha, Merriden, very loosely put, yes.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoy the anime, and it has the most beautiful animation I`ve seen in the genre. It`s well worth it, if you ask me. The series has sort of grown its own legs, and left the advertisement realm, traveling to its own independence

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #669079  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 24, 2014, 23:28:27 | #15
100k was *extra* to include the subs as well
80k was all they needed for dubbing season 1.
150k will get us the OVAs, and 200k will get us season 2
There are many more locked stretch goals as well that we`ll see as we get closer to them!
(They`ve hinted strongly at revealing info about season 3 if we reach them)

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #669069  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 24, 2014, 23:23:05 | #16
Haha, well hopefully this Kickstarter will get them a good deal of profit, as well as showing North American networks that there's a lot of interest in the show, thereby bringing even more money Ankama's way, and I'm sure that'll give them plenty of motivation to hire more people for projects across the board!

Not to mention, they said that if this one was a success, they'd likely start running even more Kickstarters, and the game's bound to come up pretty early on that list of other Kickstarters!

Plus, we need a good deal more people to donate, as they may actually be losing a bit of money from the amazing prizes and tonnes of Voice Acting work and reanimation of mouths they'll be doing for so little money. If we can get the figures high enough for this to be a win-win venture for everyone, they'll almost definitely continue improving their core products in this way, and we'll all get more amazing service!

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #669059  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 24, 2014, 23:15:15 | #17
Ankama needs your help!! Alright guys, this may be off-topic for the game's forums, but it's actually pretty massive! Ankama is currently running a Kickstarter (Click here) to get the anime dubbed in English. So far, we've already raised enough to get Season 1 dubbed, and are well on our way to getting Season 2 dubbed as well!

Now, this isn't all of course. Because this is a Kickstarter, there's also a *tonne* more in it for us all for donating than just getting the anime dubbed! (Which is pretty fantastic in its own right, even if you've never watched it before) Right now, you can get the Blu-Ray copies of all of the seasons we unlock, some awesome merch, and they've just announced that if we fund Season 2, they'll also give out both of the Manga Tomes *In English* as a reward for low-level and up tiers!

And did I mention there's also a lucrative special in-game item that they've yet to even reveal, starting at some pretty low tiers as well?

Now, I'd thoroughly encourage you all to donate above the low-level tiers if you're able, but even if you only have a couple hours' wages to spare, you can still get *every single one* of the things I've mentioned above!!

There's no time to waste! The Kickstarter ends on February 19th, but there are some tiers that are limited to how many can get them, and it's on a first-come-first-served basis!

I know we can all find it in our hearts (and wallets) to give at least a little back to this amazing company that has made so many incredible products! And you'll still get some severely awesome things back in return! Everyone wins! Tell your friends too!

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #669049  Replies : 75  Views : 2067
posté January 21, 2014, 20:49:48 | #18
I'm incredibly excited that this Kickstarter for the anime is a thing. I wish i had more to contribute, but I know that all of us together will be able to bring together enough to support Ankama in the English dubs. Who knows, we may even break that 4th stretch, and hear the news that they're hinting towards about the 3rd season, or have those manga translations become a thought for the future.

It happened!!!!!
If we can reach $200,000 (We're already at $125,000, so it should be a snap) they'll translate both tomes and give them as rewards!!!!!!

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #667445  Replies : 14  Views : 377
posté January 20, 2014, 21:47:51 | #19
I feel somewhat the same. Had I known back in high school that a series like this existed, I'd have kept taking French after grade 9 as well. I could have at least made my way through Tome 2 without having to look up too many things

This post has been edited by Hylian-Scientist - January 20, 2014, 21:53:31.
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #666927  Replies : 14  Views : 377