Back to www.wakfu.com

No flash

Forum

Winds of Change
posté August 19, 2010, 17:50:44 | #1
Winds of Change

This probably won’t come as a much of a surprise but... major changes are on their way! This devblog article will give you an overview of the changes that have been undertaken and the reasons that have motivated our choices.

Today, you get a sneak peek into the future of Wakfu!

A Comprehensive Game

One of the major flaws of Wakfu as it is now is how difficult it is to grasp the concepts.
For testers who’ve been with us since the beginning, that probably doesn’t sound right – after all, you’ve been able to wrap your mind around the concepts - but we’ve noticed that beginners confronted to the game mechanics for the first time have a really hard time understanding some of them. You have to admit that being forced to read a gaming manual before even starting to play a game isn’t the most enjoyable thing there is.

The problem applies to different gameplay features: map builds, crafts, Wakfu & Stasis, the ecosystem, citizenship, etc.

The basic changes we’ve made over the last three months have been to simplify these features as much as possible, the interface and layouts have been changed for everything to work better as a whole and for the feel to be more intuitive.

Breta, a breath of fresh air

Breta is one of the four nations of the Bonta archipelago. It was thought up to be a welcoming environment to guide players once they come out of Incarnam.

Breta, concept art v1

It all starts with a newb area, divided into several low levels areas. There’s a village, fields, meadows, ruins and even a Fort and a Prison ... Everything to make a nice starting area for beginners to learn how to play the game in a safe haven, protected inside their nation’s walls.

Beyond this point, the players’ exploration will be hampered by aggressive monsters and players with a feel for PvP. Well, I wouldn’t want to spoil anything, so we’ll leave you to explore it!

Trade me a Craft

Up to now, right from the start all the available professions and a wealth of information regarding crafts was available to you straight away – in all fairness that was a bit too much information to digest all at once.

Now, you’ll have to go through a Clan Member in order to learn a profession. They will make sure that you understand the workings of the craft before you can actually move on to practicing that profession.

But don’t worry - if you’re fast on your feet and use your brains like you should, you’ll still be able to learn all the professions that you’d like.

Wakfu & Stasis Concept Revised

As I hinted to in the last devblog, the concept of Wakfu and Stasis has changed and is no longer what it used to be. Now, all actions relating to planting (or refurbishing) will be of a Wakfu nature, while all destructive behaviour will be a of a Stasis nature.
Wakfu and Stasis become less of an ideology and more the definition of a being. Doesn’t that remind you of anything? One of the oldest mottos of Wakfu was: "Your character will be defined by your actions." Well, that’s exactly what happens here. Your Wakfu or Stasis incline will tell the world if you’re more prone to destroy or repopulate the ecosystem.

The state of your personal Wakfu / Stasis gauge will open different possibilities but will no longer make you susceptible to receiving Crime Points.

Wondering what the consequences of your actions on the ecosystem will be?

Citizens of the World Unite

A new gauge has replaced the Wakfu & Stasis gauge that you know. This new citizen gauge shows you your status towards your nation, if you are in agreement or disagreement towards it.
The more points you have, the more bonuses and rights you’ll get. Conversely, the further you are along the negative path, the more you’ll be restricted and also the bigger you’ll be on the wanted list.

It is not unlike the crime points in many regards.

Your actions on the ecosystem will have two consequences: increase or decrease your Wakfu or Stasis state but also affect your citizen gauge - depending on whether or not you follow your Clan Member’s wishes.

As for your actions on other territories, they will not be without consequence! They will affect your citizen gauge depending on the relations and treaties between the two governments.

Balancing and Improvements

As expected, many changes have been made during these past few months - balancing classes, interface changes, general enhancements and the list goes on and on.

We’ll tell you more about them in future articles of the devblog in the days and weeks to come.

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2008-11-24
posté August 19, 2010, 18:04:22 | #2
Yo thanks for the news Kaoly and for the fast post
But don’t worry - if you’re fast on your feet and use your brains like you should, you’ll still be able to learn all the professions that you’d like.

Google really suck, first read this at the French devblog i didn't understand this part i was thinking that we couldn't learn all the prof, i love the idea of being able to do all the prof so i really got scared xP but i get and I understand, but...
Breta, a breath of fresh air

I get the idea but it's not why we have Icarnam, remember the "but", well i guess that we should learn the prof in Icarnam too...

Well the other things look just fine xD and i agree (totally agree) with the changes at the citizens stuff ^^ and how it will "play" with our wakfu/stasis...

Once again thanks ;D

PS:by the way Kaoly, when you will post the Dev's interview? Thanks in advance

posté August 19, 2010, 18:06:31 | #3
If we don't get an update soon, I'm going to powerbomb someone.

This thing is an interesting read though.

posté August 19, 2010, 19:16:19 | #4
Breta is one of the four nations of the Bonta archipelago. It was thought up to be a welcoming environment to guide players once they come out of Incarnam.

So Breta will be for newbies... But then what will happen to Astrub? It will be different from Dofus and won't be the "newbie city" (or island, in this case)? Unless I missed some information from the Astrub Beta it's been so long... *sniff*

The state of your personal Wakfu / Stasis gauge will open different possibilities but will no longer make you susceptible to receiving Crime Points.

This means that the "Provoke Wakfu/Stasis to the flora/fauna will give you X Crime Points" will no longer work, right? Then Governors won't be able to punish Wakfu in a wakfu-inclined nation and make everyone go "rawr", yay!

As expected, many changes have been made during these past few months - balancing classes, interface changes, general enhancements and the list goes on and on.

We’ll tell you more about them in future articles of the devblog in the days and weeks to come.

...So the next update will take weeks? ;-;

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2007-03-08
posté August 19, 2010, 19:31:56 | #5
Incarnam is supposed to be for newb-tutorials... and now every island will have a newb-tutorial section (or every newb will be forced to join Breta?)... this really seems like the wrong approach. Some sort of in-GUI guide seems like it would be more concise, and less obtrusive (like a "welcome to Wakfu" booklet of short guides to each aspect)... older gamers might refer to this concept as a "manual" or a "help menu". In the end, having lots of little NPCs giving you tutorials just makes it harder to actually get the tutorial information, or to re-read it. I think Incarnum + extended information in a UI help-section is preferable.

I'm guessing Wakfu has dropped any attempt at "no NPCs" now that you're taught professions by the "they're not NPCs!" CMs

Stasis, within the animal ecosystem, will now just be about killing? ... sounds like the monster population is going to be under even more threat (since "overpopulating", if that still exists, won't reward you with Stasis? and replanting will always be Wakfu)

Wilder than Wild Dragoturkey * Member Since 2007-10-28
posté August 19, 2010, 20:15:07 | #6
It all starts whit a newb area,
with* :v

There's a problem with the whole, however you play defines your Wakfu/Stasis... if we want to level up, then we will be forced to kill. Killing, means getting Stasis. So then every time we go to train for a bit, we'll have to stop every once in awhile and replant for a long time, and then continue, which is a pain, because the amount of Wakfu we gain per second is much lower than the Stasis we gain per second when training. It's almost around x2... which therefore leads to, if you want a maxed Wakfu bar, around 3 times the time taken to train on a character that goes for Stasis... which ends up being a humongous pain.

BUT, it does solve the problem of the whole thing where people just kill all the monsters faster than you can repopulate, therefore making it go back down to Stasis, and not really giving you a chance to level up. Since then, even if your growing them while they're in the "recommended" spot, then you'll still get Wakfu, which should help a bit.

The Wakfu/Stasis thing will be hard to keep in game while still keeping it true to its nature, and making it so a person that goes with Wakfu won't take much longer to train than a Stasis person... :/

posté August 20, 2010, 00:12:00 | #7
Guys check this (at the picture of the magazine click at the orange thing that says "voir" it in French so i got almost nothing but we will be able to fish...

oh ya i forgot other thing -__- they will add the kama making profession... i hate this idea so much, cause the more people do kamas the higher the prices will be higher so in the end every one will have to get the kama profession... any way lets see how it will work in game... =S

posté August 20, 2010, 05:47:35 | #8
I can't believe they are actually turning this into a PVP game after all. It's like stepping back 10 years in the industry. All they needed to do is make certain areas pvp and let the rest of the worlds be mvp.

Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2007-03-17
posté August 20, 2010, 08:04:42 | #9
Crafting professions:
Baker
Chef
Armorer
Jeweller
Tailer
Leatherworker
Cabinets
Master of arms
Kama maker
- seems to have something to do with unleashing monsters as well as making monsters.

For a tutorial, we need the jelutins! Not a new area!

posté August 20, 2010, 10:05:00 | #10

Quote (WellSacMe @ 20 August 2010 05:47) *
I can't believe they are actually turning this into a PVP game after all. It's like stepping back 10 years in the industry. All they needed to do is make certain areas pvp and let the rest of the worlds be mvp.

What are you talking about... it says nothing that would make this game geared towards PvP.

Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2007-03-17
posté August 20, 2010, 10:30:46 | #11

Quote (KayleKhan @ 20 August 2010 10:05) *
Beyond this point, the players’ exploration will be hampered by aggressive monsters and players with a feel for PvP.

posté August 20, 2010, 11:30:41 | #12
yeah i think they will remove the gelu things... =/ to bad...
I was talking with a freind that plays wakfu, and he thinks that the Breta will just be the best island for newbies it doesn't mean that the others island will be like that...
Now, you’ll have to go through a Clan Member in order to learn a profession. They will make sure that you understand the workings of the craft before you can actually move on to practicing that profession.

Any way after sleeping on it, i really don't know how they will do the new profession system without making us to lose the freedom that we have now...

Well i guess that we have to wait and see...

Quote (WellSacMe @ 20 August 2010 05:47) *

hum.. I hope not. I like pvp, but mvp is way too important, cause we can't pass all the time doing pvp and we need to lvl, if we would want a pvp game then we would play Dofus Arena xP

posté August 20, 2010, 11:31:55 | #13
I'm interested to know when the winds of change are going to remodel the world of twelve like the chaos of orgest...
Have been away for like three months now and i'm really missing the gameplay style...

posté August 20, 2010, 11:34:55 | #14

Quote (krasuskhchoy @ 20 August 2010 11:31) *
I'm interested to know when the winds of change are going to remodel the world of twelve like the chaos of orgest...
Have been away for like three months now and i'm really missing the gameplay style...

wakfu-world says that will be between September 21 and December 21... source
and i think that they will open the beta again...

posté August 20, 2010, 12:22:28 | #15
BONTA! YES! finally a post after that super long wait. I also agree on putting all the beginner guides in Incarnam because in nations it's supposed to be all serious and more action going on.

posté August 20, 2010, 13:24:16 | #16
So now stasis is exclusively killing/destroying and wakfu is only replanting/repairing? I got a question, how in the name of all that is holy is that even remotely balanced? Stasis players can level up freely, only gaining a tiny bit of wakfu if they ever have to plant monsters due to extinction. On the other hand, Wakfu players will have to spend their time keeping the environment balanced to maintain their wakfu, but gain stasis every single time they go leveling. Unless you are adding some kind of alternate exp mechanic, you are going to have lvl 80 stasis players vs lvl 40 wakfu, everywhere. And since someone mentioned agressive pvp, jerks are probably going to pick on the hippies.

Ankama. Don't take this freedom crap lightly. A person is smart. People are dumb, dangerous, panicky animals, and you know it. Not to mention they are SELFISH. Criminal points did not stop extinction. Stasis did not stop extinction. Even telling players flat out "YOURE GOING TO KILL THE ECOSYSTEM RETARD" did not stop extinction. Polarising the world in to planters and killers will
not
stop
extinction

and extinction is anathema to fun in this game. It's like getting a game console whose disk ejects every 15 minutes.

And on a related subject, I stopped playing for a while since wakfu crashes more than a burnout game. I used to be able to predict lag spikes and relog in, now it is simply unbearable. Are you going to double check the mechanical faults as well?

Edit: didn't mean to sound ungreatful, just really want to bring your attention to important things. I too think incarnam is tutorial enough. Cant wait for the update.

posté August 20, 2010, 14:25:28 | #17
This is bad... if people get bonuses from wakfu, they're all going to spam stuff on the map... just to get the points. And now that there's no "out of balance" status as there is now, but just wakfu with every thing you plant. The maps will be flooded with junk, and the people trying to clean up the mess will receive stasis? And lose extra bonuses because they want to bring order into chaos?

Speechless Crobak * Member Since 2006-01-31
posté August 20, 2010, 14:37:12 | #18
So I guess we'll all have to level up to 100 before we can think about having any decent quantity of Wakfu, right?

I can't see this ecosystem nonsense working effectively.

posté August 20, 2010, 15:00:50 | #19
i guess that we have to wait to the next devblog to more details about everything -__- and wait for the patch to really know how things will work...
But at least we have something to talk about xP

posté August 20, 2010, 19:36:11 | #20

Quote (Mortrox @ 20 August 2010 14:25) *
Beyond this point, the players’ exploration will be hampered by aggressive monsters and players with a feel for PvP.

If he is referring to that, that's not that big of a deal. It doesn't mean it's making it geared toward PvP, just making game play a bit harder.